Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I finished Alan Wake's American Nightmare. The increase in gameplay quality over the base game was so much better that it gave me whiplash. I didn't have a lot of fun playing Alan Wake, but American Nightmare was pretty good! The time loop thing got pretty dull in a way, but it kinda fits in with the campy Twilight Zone vibe they were going for.

Now I'm playing Dungeon Keeper and god drat I've had this game for years and never realized how fun it is.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jun 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Macaluso posted:

I'm gettin a hankerin to play through Final Fantasy VII again but I'm too lazy to dig my PS2 out of my closet. And apparently the PC version of the game is historically bad. This is the worst situation to happen in the history of the world

The Steam version is pretty good. I think the music patch was made official so I don't think you have to put in any effort at all to make it good. It's the original release by Eidos that was really bad.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Macaluso posted:

Oooh I didn't know that! I heard that the Steam version wasn't great a while ago so I just assumed they brought the old PC one to steam. I'll have to check that out

There are really only two things that made the original PC port bad. The first was MIDI music. They included a soundfont that helped, but not much so even though the music was serviceable, certain tracks still sounded pretty bad and had various volume and tracking issues. Hell, One Winged Angel didn't even have any vocals! It was also really unstable to the point where Eidos' website had a question about BSODs on the game's support page FAQ list to which they responded "We don't know what causes it or how to fix it. Save often!"

Steam version fixed the stability problem and fans fixed the music, which as I said was made official iirc. Even if it wasn't patching it is trivial. Check the community guides on the Steam page.

Bicyclops posted:

Come to think of it, does the PS digital DL version of FF7 have the Wii U Virtual Console save state thing?

I wonder if I can use that to cheese the random seed and finally get that worthless blue materia from the chocobo races that's a random drop.

You're talking about either Sneak Attack or Counter Magic, neither of which are "worthless" :colbert:

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jun 1, 2017

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

suuma posted:

The PC port of FF7 was the first PC game I ever owned (never had a PSx), the only issue I ever had with it was that everything was bound to the numpad and you couldn't change the controls.

Yes you could.

Bicyclops posted:

I guess they're not worthless worthless, but they definitely do not warrant being the hardest materia in the game to get, because of how often they just won't show up as a racing prize.

Yeah you're probably thinking of Sneak Attack then, because Magic Counter can be found elsewhere in the game. It's almost a necessity for fighting Ruby Weapon and it has a pretty unique property, so that's probably why it's rare.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

"on...line? what is that? do people play video games 'on-line?'" - Nintendo, probably

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Gamer: " but i want to talk with my friend from another province while playing splatoon together!"

Nintendo: "why is your couch three hundred miles long? get a smaller couch!"

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The only console stores I've ever used were Xbox 360 and Wii. I have no complaints with the 360 and the Wii one, while clunky and slow, is literally just a list of games in alphabetical order so it could be worse I guess.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Bring back Nester

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I picked up Dust: An Elysian Tale again and the annoying voice acting isn't bothering me as much as it used to. The simplified world map actually kind of gets in the way at times. It also suffers from the ol "art over function" kind of problem where the fancy graphics kind of get distracting and makes the platforming difficult at times.

Gameplay is still pretty solid though.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Ometeotl posted:

I hated that game.

I dunno man it doesn't seem that bad at all. I'm actually liking it so far

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Phantasium posted:

Dust was the game I was playing when my OG 360 melted!

:tinfoil:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

FirstAidKite posted:

That reminds me of the shiva sisters in ff13 where they'd combine into a motorcycle.

That reminds me of how ff13 didn't feature ark in any way, shape, or form. What the hell square, he was right there, you already had an eidolon that was also a transformer, :cmon:

*waits through a five minute cinematic for a capped 9,999 damage that steiner can do with a three-second attack*

cool

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

FirstAidKite posted:

It was a really cool cinematic

Actually it was super helpful when fighting Ozma because the auto-haste/regen meant everyone had max HP by the time the attack hit.

It ran the risk of healing 10k back to it but that's easy enough to whittle away again.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

FirstAidKite posted:

God, the eidolons really were just massively destructive pricks in that game. I mean, not their fault, but jeeze, all that damage, all those towns and places just completely or almost completely wiped out.

"I AM ODIN. THE ALLFATHER OF THE AESIR AND GOD OF WAR, KNOWLEDGE, AND WISDOM. WHY HAVE YOU SUMMONED ME?"

"I need you to gently caress up that tree."

"..."

"There's rats in it!"

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Guy Mann posted:

Odin showing up when you fight Seifer towards the end of FFVIII was a really great joke, both for the idea that through sheer dumb luck the randomized instant-win summon had appeared during a boss fight and the punchline of Seifer just destroying him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULbG7Aa0aEw

The best twist this entire series ever produced.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

please vote wark

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

StrixNebulosa posted:

They go kweh, I'm sorry

you are wrong

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

in the good games they say wark. in the bad games they say kweh :twisted:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Fighting games are about the only genre I've tried playing a million times and just can't get into. I played SC2 on the GameCube a lot because of its dungeon mode but I only managed to get anywhere by spamming cheap moves (e.g. Talim's 1-2-3-vault combo or Link's anything). I dunno why, it just doesn't do anything for me. It's Mak0rz' One Inaccessible Game Genre.

Unless Smash counts, but that plays so very differently from what I consider "fighting games" so I dunno.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Bicyclops posted:

I've just learned not to care how how other people play their video games but I don't play with Project M/tryhard players because they're not going to have any fun kicking me into the sky over and over again before I can move, nor will I have any fun while they concentrate intensely instead of getting drunk and laughing when some player accidentally walks Fox off the edge.

Paying Smash with my old roommate was awful for that reason. It was really annoying. Pick an off character and have an all Pokeball 99 stock sudden death battle while wasted it's fun as poo poo

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Phantasium posted:

When I played Smash 4 with my cousins it was at 99 stock, 5 ai players in addition to the 3 humans, 300% life, double damage, turbo speed.

And I loved it. Any second that a player was not dying was a dull second.

:yeah:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Jay Rust posted:

The best choco music is the one that's your favourite

checks out

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Lurdiak posted:

one of those pigs from twilight princess wind waker

pig. hands down

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Lurdiak posted:

I don't remember being able to ride pigs in WW...

Doesn't mean I can't want to ride them

serious answer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yrum2OL9QpA

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

the mushroom kingdom is in socal...

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

tap my mountain posted:

Does he make the cookies with his own eggs?

Yoshi eggs are big and he can make them instantly by eating a small morsel of food. excellent cost-saving idea imo

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The Colonel posted:

return to castle wolfenstein is pretty good but i feel like it's peaked out early on, all of the harder enemies in this just kind of get progressively more annoying to deal with and it's really saved by how ridiculously overpowered some of the guns are

Those shits that are just a torso are a real pain to deal with but I don't remember any other trouble enemies. I liked the game overall, though some of the forced stealth stuff was annoying.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Also I took this screenshot when I played it a few years ago:

Germany was built by giants apparently.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

FirstAidKite posted:

Nah that's just where he has to commute through

So it's in... Arizona?

Mexico?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

FirstAidKite posted:

No, silly. It's in the Mushroom Kingdom.

He has to take the warp chunnel to get there.

there are no chunnels in america, silly!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

codenameFANGIO posted:

Sometimes the sound design is really bad and it is good to have the subtitles on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioCAW1gpUys&t=694s

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

CJacobs posted:

Regardless of your feelings on subtitles, I think we can all agree that games that launch directly into the story right out of the publisher logos without allowing you to access an options menu first are just the worst.

Similar: games where you can only access the options menu while in game and not on the title screen. JRPGs had a habit of doing this for a long while.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

:eyepop: getting a 'bone port

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Zaggitz posted:

Jak 2 and 3 got this poo poo right in the mid 00s! it did launch you into a cutscene but before any dialogue happened you got a prompt that was like hey press square if you want subtitles going forward. I always really liked that and dont know why it never caught on.

Brutal Legend did this too.

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I wish more games intuitively determined camera inversion. The ones I can think of right now that do are Psychonauts and inFamous.

Just ask the player in the beginning to look up, and depending on which direction they move the stick/mouse, figure out whether they want it inverted or not.

This rules. Had no idea Psychonauts did this.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Quest For Glory II posted:

also I wish Steam allowed a Zeldalike tag. maybe a generic term needs to be coined. find another game like zelda to merge with it (other than metroid)

zeldyne (zelda + anodyne)
zelhorn (zelda + oceanhorn)
ittleda (ittle dew + zelda)
zeldis (zelda + crystalis)
zelreaver
zelegacy

Zelundra

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

FirstAidKite posted:

I did it. I found the worst youtube thumbnail.

Every time I see something like this I'm reminded of this tweet

https://twitter.com/robwhisman/status/735281634656669696

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Holy poo poo Mario Odyssey looks loving wild.

I am so pumped for MP4 guys even though it was just a title-only teaser and the Prime series is kind of self-contained already. Any idea who's developing it?

tap my mountain posted:

Finally a follow-up to Space Station Silicon Valley

lol

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Oh my god are they seriously loving releasing a Metroid 2 remake for the 3DS? Jesus Christ.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

KingSlime posted:

everyone before you get excited please keep this in mind

it comes courtesy of the fuckers who made that awful 2.5d CV game on 3DS

It already looks pretty mediocre to be honest.

also "melee counter" lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Samus Returns seems mostly complete by the looks of it. This game was well into development when AM2R dropped last year.

• Locked thread