Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Oh hey the new Valkyria game completely evaded me- really liked the first one.

Edit: ah boooo it seems like the gameplay is completely different

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
People are saying it's like a mix between Dynasty Warriors and Kingdom Hearts? Ugh barf not my jam

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Maybe you should give pcsx2 a shot? It's pretty good now; popular games will have patches and fixes usually so they'll be playable.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Lol how is Nintendo still this bad at online stuff

Uhhh like download this external app instead of just chatting through the system that's fine right? OK

I like the way that graphic looks though and if the little adapter is actually squid-shaped... I'm conflicted

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Saint Freak posted:

Not shown is yet another wire needed as you'll have to plug your phone into a wall to have it not die on you.

I will wrap myself in a protective cocoon of cables and play Spla2n

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
It must be really hard to make an online store for a home console or something. You'd think they would try to make the Place Where You Give Them Money pleasant and easy to use.

Wii and Wii U had rotating chill music; hope the Switch is like that too.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Ahhh the stupid voice-acted movies/DVDs in Persona 5 lol

I love it

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
(sorta low grade P5 spoilers but I was delighted when I discovered this goofy poo poo and don't wanna ruin it for anyone)

I like how it makes cat noises when you pounce on unsuspecting enemies

Mementos is OK I guess in the fact that most of the rewards seem to suck so you can just blaze right through it if you want without missing much. Can't help but feel that the game is kiiiinda wasting my time with this though and I just shouldn't do it.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Regy Rusty posted:

You have to do it eventually anyway

ugh OK I'll do it

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

corn in the bible posted:

You can't escape the lovely procgen persona dungeons!!!

P5 tricked me by not introducing them until after the first actual dungeon!

Second real dungeon was great- everything's so pretty and stylish in this game; drat

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Like the quests in there won't all just pile up so I can wipe them out all at once will they? Do I have to go in periodically to clear them so I get new ones?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I have a pile of old games and systems and dumb peripherals and poo poo that I sleep on at night like a dragon so I unfortunately cannot sell my old hardware/games

I still very rarely find myself re-playing old games these days I guess though

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
... I still have an old CRT TV hooked up in a corner for all the old consoles that I think look better on it. It's probably kinda a waste of space

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
whenever I have access to a basement I will likely try building an emulator cabinet

ooohhhhh or one of those cocktail table machines?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I would be glad if Persona 5 was successful and encouraged Atlus and other developers to make more games like it because it is Insanely Good

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
living well is the best revenge my friends

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
It kinda sounds like they almost made some sorta Proto-No Man's Sky and then scrapped it during development. Lotta wasted work if true

quote:

“We started to realize by summer 2015 that we had great technological prototypes, but we had doubts they would make it into the game,” said another person who worked on the game. The Andromeda team had gotten systems like spaceflight up and running, two people said, but they couldn’t figure out how to make those systems fun to play. “I think production reality hit hard and they had to make some really strong cuts.”

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
paw paw dyed back 'fore the war a the "Steam Disease"- found 'im face-first in an open case covered in arctic silver

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I play most things on a PC these days if I have a choice and waited until a few months ago during a Black Friday sale to buy a PS4 but it had Bloodborne and Persona 5 and Yakuza 0 locked up on there so I really didn't have a choice in the end did I!!!!

I forgot where I was going with this but it may have been worth it for Bloodborne and P5 alone at the price I paid

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Man my motherboard is like 7 or 8 years old now... have replaced the CPU, GPU, added RAM, and upgraded to an SSD since I built the thing. Feel like eventually something's gonna break but I haven't seen any... signs of it yet. PSU is good brand but I know those things have an operating lifespan

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cowcaster posted:

i play all my videogames on a digital rectal thermometer, by shoving it up my rear end, and screaming "videogames"

Immersive VR

really immersive

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mutata posted:

And they don't even have to dress up in fursuits like sports mascots.

It's probably for the best that their fursuit activities are confined to an online space, yes

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/tony-tiger-harassed-twitter-furries-article-1.2512485

https://twitter.com/realtonytiger/status/692532284210159621

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Man I wish I had the desire to learn how to actually play and enjoy fighting games; they look so cool

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Seems like with all the other stuff you have to do to make a proper video game come together "good writing" usually gets left by the wayside. Usually fine, but things can get downright embarrassing if they try to tackle something they just can't handle

I guess alternately you kinda tell a story by way of what the game is like to play- oppressive atmosphere in Dark Souls comes to mind

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I mean you could really ask the same question about a lot of blockbuster movies- why is the writing not better? because it kinda doesn't matter for what they're trying to accomplish with the project I guess. Nobody is gonna give a poo poo if like Transformers 5 or whatever has stellar, thoughtfully written and well-delivered dialogue and a masterfully connected overarching story that makes a genuine emotional connection with its audience.

There are a lot of indie games that kinda fill that niche now yeah? Just the bigger projects seem to kinda not care about it more often than not

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Bloodstained looks fine from what I've seen and I hope it's fine upon release.

Kinda wish they were using 2D graphics but maybe that's just me Being Old about it

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dewgy posted:

I think it looks fine (and looks fun!), but if anything could use a once over to give it GG:Xrd style shading it's definitely this style of game.

Man that would look nice

FirstAidKite posted:

I know they don't use 2D stuff because it is very expensive to do that but does anybody know if the technology behind things like Guilty Gear XRD's graphics is cheap enough to pull off? I wouldn't be opposed to more games adopting that style if it will let them achieve a 2D look without the cost of 2D animation.

Someone posted some conference video where the devs on the game were talking about what they did and it seemed to my untrained eye like they were doing a lot of fiddling to get everything to look right.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Really Pants posted:

how do you pronounce "xrd"

Same way you pronounce "in the dark robo-future of 20XX" I guess

Mak0rz posted:

no you're correct actually

I know it was for budgetary reasons and I'd rather have a more expansive game with worse graphics but yeah I miss Pretty Pixel Art

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Saint Freak posted:

Alternatively you can buy the game and it's the very first thing they say when you turn it on.

Oh sweet I miss games that do that

RESIDENT EVIL...4!

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Phantasium posted:

Playing Circle of the Moon at launch was loving brutal.

Had to pretty much play it directly under a light. Looked great on the SP or on an emulator of some variety though.

Then they went alllll the way in the other direction with Harmony of Dissonance and the game is like some neon thingy so it would look better on the original GBA without the backlight and it looks weird on other systems

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dewgy posted:

PaRappa remastered is pretty great. That loving chicken still has the hardest stage though. :negative:

Was watching the Quick Look on that and it still seems super unforgiving- still a drat cool game though.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Help Im Alive posted:

So is the new Valkyria bad

I heard it wasn't really Valkyria, gameplay-wise? Kinda like Kingdom Hearts and Koei Warriors game got thrown into the teleporter from The Fly or something?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I kinda liked the original style of gameplay in the Valkyria games so I'm disappointed in the new one

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I haven't played a turn-based JRPG in a long time but I think Persona 5 has a pretty slick system. Doesn't really seem like they ever really figured out what to do with the guns though

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jun 28, 2017

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I remember thinking the rhythm-based button press attacks in Legend of Dragoon made the battles fun and engaging but I haven't played that game in years

Are there any other RPGs that have sorta turn-based combat with some manner of engagement beyond picking your moves and watching your characters do them and does it really help the battle system at all? Remember all of the Paper Mario games and all of the Mario+Luigi games being like this

an actual dog posted:

It's so good. Persona 5 felt off because it's missing a lot of what's great about SMT4A

After I finish P5 I'm definitely going to get past the opening area in SMT4 and play the rest of the game and then maybe even play SMT4A

might wind up waiting a bit between them so I don't get SMT'd out

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Chomp8645 posted:

Allow me to introduce my companions!

We have Gilbert the warrior, a man resembling a 70 year old california surfer.

And Cristof the mage, a man carrying so many scrolls they fly off him comically whenever he is struck.

And of course the party healer, Diana, a ten year old girl. She casts magic by dancing.

OK, OK, sounding good so far- what's the rest of your pitch for Hypothetical JRPG

FirstAidKite posted:

Shadow Hearts series.

Ahh yeah it had that spinning thingy with a kinda risk-reward mechanic where you could try and land it in the teeny little Critical space for higher damage at the risk of completely whiffing

Liked the weirdo characters in those games- favorite from 3 was either the giant talking cat that fought with drunken fist or the buffer/bard guy who was basically an unlicensed amalgamation of those Robert Rodriguez El Mariachi movies

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I think Golden Sun was one of the first big available RPGs on the GBA and it looked real pretty at the time which probably accounts for most of people's fondness (imagined or otherwise) for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I would probably dig an update on Vice City

80's aesthetic is big right now in various ways so maybe it would work?

• Locked thread