Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

precision posted:

i feel like cat and dogs are worn out, i think the next big video game animal meme should be horses

post good video game horses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Ometeotl posted:

The letter by letter search is the most baffling design.

What's more baffling is that they use it in all their interfaces. It's easily the worst part of Playstation Vue, a product that has no shortage of baffling design decisions.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

glam rock hamhock posted:

I mean it could be because two things can suck at the same time. Sony's increasingly baffling, barely working store is bad, as is Nintendo's. Sony's is more aggravating because on PS3 it was bad then they got it to a place where it was fine then they broke it they just keep making it worse while the Nintendo store's have always felt anemic and hard to navigate in the same ways.

Nintendo's store ain't great, but it's nowhere near as bad as Sony's. I haven't ever had a problem finding something I want either on the 3DS or Wii U eshops, the only real problem is that it's annoyingly slow.
If I think about it though, I can't think of a game storefront I actually like. I guess Steam and the Xbox 360 Marketplace were the least bad, but I hesitate to call them good.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Neat, Superhot is in the latest Humble Monthly. I keep saying I'm going to cancel it next month, but every time they have at least one thing that's on my Steam wishlist.

Bicyclops posted:

Giygas or Lavos, I think.

I know saying anything bad about Earthbound is harem, but Giygas was a pretty dull battle imo.

raditts fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 2, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

LawfulWaffle posted:

I think the reception can be drastically changed if you know the trick ahead of time or if you try to tackle it like a normal boss until making a desperation move. My case was the later and I think it was a great way to end the game.

Is the "trick" to pray? Because that's what I did, Porky practically spells it out for you.

corn in the bible posted:

you mean Haram you dummy

Do i, corn? Do I?

...yes, I do.

raditts fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jun 3, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Dr Cheeto posted:

Yeah dog I played Mrs. Pac-Man at the bowling alley video games are great

When I was in London I went to the Namco Funscape and they had a Pac-Man / Galaga machine that had a screen that was the size of the wall and let you play 2 players at the same time

It's now the machine I want to own after I manage to find an Outrun 2 machine, or at least I hope there's a Mame rom of it, because it owned pretty hard

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

exquisite tea posted:

Hot take: The rapping rabbit game looked embarrassingly bad.

honestly, Parappa / Lammy were fun games, but nobody thought any of those characters were cool even 20 years ago, did they?

raditts fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jun 20, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Captain Invictus posted:

god of war looks real great

What am I missing on Dad of War that doesn't make it look like every boring rear end third person action game from the last 10 years

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Playing Morrowind in 2017 sounds like a recipe for pain. It was painful enough for me playing it in 2003.

precision posted:

oh my god they're making a 2DSXL

i feel like this has not been mocked enough. in this thread anyway.

It's a 2DS with the New hardware model and it looks pretty sweet. If I didn't have a N3DS already I'd probably buy one.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

To be fair, it sounds like you would need the XBL login just to play with the other platforms which are wrapped with XBL logins, and saying you "need" it to play the game at all is probably hyperbole.

Have there been any other cross-platform games like this before? I remember EA used to require you make an account for their lovely servers that they would shut down and cripple the game after like a year.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Phantasium posted:

Wasn't it Portal 2 on PS3 that you could log in through your Steam account for some bonus?

I think so, yeah. I can't think of any cases of cross-platform shenanigans that doesn't require a second login, so I don't see why it would be considered so crazy that MS isn't going to set up special servers for this one game that they already have running under their own architecture.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Viewtiful Jew posted:

We gotta find the secret Tony Jay recordings he made before his death to be used in the event that a franchise he was involved in would get a final season/game.

One day, Mighty Max will get a proper ending.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Tony Jay was in Clone High?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Grey Fox posted:

I kind of want to pick up this year's MLB The Show for that retro mode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkhoCnE7I58&t=56s

How is it different other than the "retro" font and the batter sliding around in the box?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Dewgy posted:

Looks like super simplified UI and controls for batting. All it does for me though is make me want a new Bases Loaded. :smith:

I've been waiting at least 25 years for a new Baseball Simulator 1.000

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Found out about Sega Forever from another thread and despite emulation on Android being really easy I'm unreasonably excited about it

Hey, maybe I'll finally finish that piece of poo poo Kid Chameleon, and end what I started when I rented a genesis from Blockbuster once 25 years ago.
I kinda hope they'll add Shining in the Darkness to this list eventually too, since I didn't finish that either, but I'll probably just have to set up an emulator or get it on Steam.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Sakurazuka posted:

I can't imagine playing them on your phone/tablet workable anyway

Android has had controller support for at least 5 or 6 years now

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Sakurazuka posted:

I can't imagine a position where playing games with a controller on your phone is remotely comfortable either

have you heard of the Nintendo Switch

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

gently caress you, Nook.

Saint Freak posted:

Does anyone actually buy Monopoly, or does it just appear mysteriously on the top shelf of your linen closet and one day you look at it and think 'finally a way to have less friends'

I laughed, then sure enough I looked over at the closet with my board games and up at the top is a copy of Terpopoly, a UMD-themed variant that someone once bought me as a going-away present.
To my knowledge, it has never been opened.

raditts fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 23, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

PantsBandit posted:

I do understand the criticisms of BotW, it's not a perfect game. For me though, it was a more fully realized world than any other game I've played. I will say Dark Souls comes very close though.

I can understand people having issues with BOTW too, but if "there weren't enough interesting things in the overworld" was one of them then man, I need to know what would have made it interesting for you.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Lurdiak posted:

Late on the Amiibo talk but: the minute they made different amiibos for the same characters in different games the entire thing fell apart for me.

Sorry your Smash Mario won't work with Mario Party, you need a different Mario for that.

Smash Mario does work with Mario Party though? That's like the worst possible example you could come up with too, because the Smash one works literally exactly the same as the Super Mario series one in that case.

I can't think of any games offhand where a different series amiibo just plain won't work, although there are some where different models will give you more / different bonus stuff. BOTW for example gives you the outfit of whatever version Link amiibo you're using, and an item from the game they are from.

raditts fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jun 24, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I played through SUPERHOT yesterday since it came in a humble monthly at some point and the gimmick is pretty cool but boy is anything beyond that a bunch of ponderous poo poo it's the most innovative shooter I've played in years!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Boomer Kuwanger's stage was super memorable for me because of its epic music. Also I knew all the bosses were animals but what the gently caress is a kuwanger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kOjXM0sH84

They changed the maverick names for the US release of MMX1 (for example, Chill Penguin's name was originally "Icy Penguigo") but didn't change that one for whatever reason. Probably because they didn't know what the actual animal name was either.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I didn't give much of a poo poo about the NES Classic, but Star Fox 1 + 2 and Yoshi's Island makes this something actually worth shelling out for.

Phantasium posted:

It's already on there, with Star Fox 1 included too.

I hope they let you connect an additional wiimote or something to play 3 players in Secret of Mana.

raditts fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jun 26, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Is the switch still missing the virtual console?

Yes

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

So if I'm understanding this response to the SNES classic correctly:

- it's dumb because it's got a bunch of old games you've played before and could be easily pirated
- it's also dumb because at 21 games, it doesn't have enough of the old games you've played before and could easily pirate, or doesn't have all the games you specifically want
- and this is coming from a forum full of people that regularly and proudly buy a game multiple times, at full price, to have it on whatever console you're currently playing the most

kinda sounds like some serious "the food is terrible, and the portions are too small" type poo poo

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It's almost like there are different people with different points of view communicating about those perspectives on a forum, and attempting to assign all those conflicting stances to a collective consensus would be a strawman of the highest order

They're pretty dumb complaints even taken separately though

like, you have the option of just not buying it, I probably won't, but the wailing and gnashing of teeth over its very existence as though you can't conceive of why someone would want it seems pretty odd

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

DLC Inc posted:

I like how you conveniently left out the facts that it's a thing that will pretty much only be sold for like 3 months and will be extremely hard to acquire,

That shouldn't be an issue, though, if it's not something you wanted in the first place

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

glam rock hamhock posted:

Once again, it's almost like it's different people posting those two ideas :wth:

that's literally something someone else posted at me though? I never said it being hard to come by wasn't a legitimate concern? I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I have New Order and Old Blood, should I play Old Blood first? I know it's DLC but I've read it's a prequel and not as good as the base game, so I figure if I play it first I won't be disappointed by it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Jay Rust posted:

My uncle is Nintendo, what does that make me?

a goddamn liar from my second grade homeroom

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

Are you kidding? I'd trade Kirby's Dream Course for Tetris Attack in a heartbeat.

Also, I'd take Mystical Ninja over Super Punch-Out any day of the week.
The only real loss in that deal is Castlevania imo.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

corn in the bible posted:

tales of berseria is good though

When does it pick up, I played like the first 20 or so minutes of it this afternoon and wasn't terribly impressed.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I don't even understand how you can gently caress up a Puzzle Bobble game, short of being one of those horrible King mobile games.

I'm mostly glad that we were collectively able to eventually stop associating the gameplay concept with loving Snood.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Ometeotl posted:

The Baten Kaitos games, where you create chains and combos on your turn. There's no rhythm games or anything but it's involved.

There was also the PS1's Legend of Legaia, where you did all your moves as multi-button combos, and some combos did special moves.
I really liked that game when I played it in like 1997, seems like it's been mostly forgotten though. I never played the sequel on PS2 but I think I remember hearing it wasn't that good.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

oddium posted:

youtube recommended to me this baller old man who loves to carve wood in the japanese style heck yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jaq7ifgcto

but then i'm like wait that's star fox

and it turns out it's from this series which i'd seen before but i didn't know they were actual factual prints holy moly

god bless this grandpa

holy poo poo these own

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Take your pick:

Platforming in Ultima VIII or platforming in Half-Life, specifically Xen. Just Xen.

U8 had the worst platforming of all times past present and future, so I'm gonna go with that one

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Quest For Glory II posted:

hi everyone here's a cat in a tank what's your favorite tank game

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Also this, which I have never played but I feel qualifies on the name alone

but this is an absolute truth:

Palpek posted:

Serious answer though: Scorched Earth.

Quest For Glory II posted:

always bet on Funky Bomb

ftfy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Samuringa posted:

What about Battletanx on the N64 where you would play Capture the Flag but instead of a flag it was a woman

or Shellshock, a PC game that I actually don't remember much right now except it was balls hard

Sakurazuka posted:

I remember a friend having the Saturn version of ShellShock which I definitely played but literally nothing else about it

Any relation to this?
http://store.steampowered.com/app/326460/ShellShock_Live/

Looks like a Scorch wannabe, which is never a bad thing as long as they don't gently caress it up. Anyone played it?

• Locked thread