Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
if you want to play gex 2, but don't want to hear dana gould, there is a simple solution

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snLHww88jzw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
trying to play return to castle wolfenstein has made me want to send a message out to all game developers

if you put lovely instant-fail stealth segments in a game that is barely designed to handle stealth, especially one that is otherwise a very fast fps that, unlike more recent wolfenstein games, has virtually no stealth mechanics

ur bad

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
thief's dungeon crawls are too easy to be super bad, but they're definitely the least interesting part of the game from a design standpoint and survive entirely as a testament to how loving strong the atmosphere in old thief is. the bonehoard, at least, isn't super bad once you figure out that enemies are too slow and lumbering to be a real threat so you just kind of go climbing around a giant crypt and it's pretty neat

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-y69ELWNyA&t=86s

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
me beating the second-to-last boss of furi: wow this is hosed up i wonder what happens after these credits
me fighting the true last boss of furi: why is this happening now

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Jay Rust posted:

I have about zero interest in fighting games, will Tekken or Injustice change my mind?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6DBLb8UBNc

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
my favorite part of metal max is every game getting really good boxart showcasing tough wanderers driving tanks and motorcycles through a quiet, desolate wasteland, or ladies with katanas and poo poo

and then BAM

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Nina posted:

Do you play as her? Because if you do I'm interested. She looks way too cool

no, but you probably get her as a party member. she's too tough to be the main character, who literally gets disowned by his father as the opening to the game, who acts as a tank mechanic and gets grumpy at you every time you drive in to ask him to repair your tank

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Nina posted:

What the hell is even going on in the fourth one I'm so confused

a guy is riding a woman motorcycle who's legs and shoulders function as the wheels and who's arms function as the steering, while firing a gun

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i remember hearing that it turned out that guy wasn't actually trying to force his pairing into the show, he was just bad at typing english

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
they never gave a true backstory to Dirty Duck

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
did you know? jedi outcast is a good video game

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
return to castle wolfenstein is pretty good but i feel like it's peaked out early on, all of the harder enemies in this just kind of get progressively more annoying to deal with and it's really saved by how ridiculously overpowered some of the guns are

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the stealth segment is absolute poo poo because there aren't any start-of-mission saves, and it's possible to save yourself into a corner where you literally can't progress. it's funny cause the level immediately after that, i think, was the most fun in the game, cause it was just a huge rush where you run through this small facility blasting dudes in the face with a tommy gun that ends with you slamming down a literal explosion button

the super soldiers are kind of annoying to deal with because it's really easy for them to get in a lot of free hits and you can't really do anything about it, but the big boss super soldier is the absolute worst cause his entire fight is basically just trying to position yourself in a place where he can't hit you with his superdeath tesla gun

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://files.catbox.moe/r5jt7v.mp4

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://files.catbox.moe/zthlj2.mp4

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://files.catbox.moe/xy4z3l.mp4

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
why would you ruin captain underpants for me like this

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i wish jedi outcast could be consistently fun, instead of following up every fun moment with "and now here's a million enemies you will never want to bother with killing who slowly chip off your health and shoot through your lightsaber"

it makes me appreciate how most of jedi academy was lightsaber duels

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Phantasium posted:

Clearly the solution is to make your message so overt as to make a dragon of racism for you to vanquish.

an actual plot point from a Tales game

please petition bamco to release tales of rebirth in english

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i dropped jedi outcast so i'm playing unreal gold now and this game is better than i remembered it being last time i tried playing through it

after this i'm gonna play tron 2.0 because someone wants me to play it

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i watched the extra credits video and, he's right

though the video basically boils down to saying yakuza 0 has some cute and smart bits of writing, and persona 5 has some weird and uncomfortable clashes with itself

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
unreal gold is pretty drat long, but i'm not minding it so much cause it manages to sprinkle a lot of variety in its level design and gives you progressively cooler guns, though the rifle is kind of a let down after getting a loving minigun

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
good metroid games are still a pretty big cut above most indie vanias in terms of polish that not a lot of games have captured, so yes, i am still into more metroid

chumbler posted:

There's also going to be Risky mode for Shantae at some relatively soon point. Not really a metroidvania, but any port in a storm.

monster worlds are almost as good as metroids

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

VideoGames posted:

Oh god the revamped music in those videos! Holy moly! Could this be the best Sonic game? Finally something to unseat S3&K??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGR5fTO2oio

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the running theme i've noticed with unreal is that i generally have a good time with any map that isn't designed by myscha the sled dog

every map generally has a decent flow and isn't too hard to navigate, with even sunspire having a pretty simple rule to follow of just always looking for the next path higher up, but every map this dude designed has been the worst, most loving confusing and samey-looking garbage

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Phantasium posted:

The thing I'm slowly remembering is that most of the battles in this game are really devoid of any strategy, and random battles in the gear are just wastes of time and resources since all that's based on how upgraded the mech is and otherwise you're wasting fuel.

i really like xenogears but yeah, random battles in the gears kind of suck for that

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tits fc and sc were pretty great but tits 3rd raised the goddamn bar so much that i'm worried about whether later trails games will be able to meet those expectations. it's right in between tales of berseria and xillia 2 as one of the best jrpgs i've played this year, with berseria only just slightly inching above it

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's almost kind of nuts how it and berseria both released in english this year and are both games i would give, like, a straight 10

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
every time i consider playing a castlevania i think i should finish circle of the moon cause i'm on the last boss and then i pick it up and fight the last boss for ten minutes, say "oh" and drop it forever

i should probably just forget about ever finishing cotm

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
when i tried looking up some easier way to deal with it a long time ago all i got was an old gamefaqs thread where someone said that you need to do an insane amount of grinding

it's really the bats that gently caress me up so if there's some easier way to deal with them then i might finally finish it

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Cowcaster posted:

i can't believe that there's been all this discussion about tits but no one's brought up sleeper jrpg hits booby and cans

i don't think anyone wants to talk about omega labyrinth

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Quest For Glory II posted:

i really like the little sub-genre Ecclesia has managed to carve out as other games like Shantae & the Pirate's Curse has followed its model of having a series of mini-metroidvania maps and as you get new abilities you can go between them and access new areas.

of course Ecclesia still had the "SYKE NOW THE REAL GAME BEGINS, IDIOT" huge castle

okay sub-genre is wrong word but it's a unique FLAVOR of metroidvania for sure

that's not a thing ecclesia invented, though i guess the earlier games to feature stuff like that didn't let you revisit areas

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the main character of trails of cold steel is voiced by the same guy who voiced the great deku tree and revali in breath of the wild

https://soundcloud.com/anime_sonicmega/revalio-kart-8-double-dash

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

tap my mountain posted:

They need should make a Twin Peaks game in the vein of that weird Pacman game where you lead Pacman around a with a slingshot, but with Dougie Jones instead.

there's a really twin peaksy ps1 game with a fan translation project that's actually pretty far along right now

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the only reason to play og yakuza 1 is to hear bill farmer doing the sam voice from sam & max hit the road while acting as a hardboiled detective who has trouble connecting with his daughter

and also hear daud from dishonored playing a big buff shirtless guy who wants to beat you up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the story stuff in yakuza 1 is great as far as i got into it because it's literally Kazuma's Single Dad Adventures so i look forward to everyone playing it

• Locked thread