Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

I was convinced this was the Skittles game due to the name.

LizWiz, add Darkened Skye to your list and harness the power of tasting the rainbow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

precision posted:

i feel like cat and dogs are worn out, i think the next big video game animal meme should be horses

post good video game horses

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

exquisite tea posted:

Fighting games are good because if you lose the only person you have to blame is yourself instead of 4-5 other people. It's also helpful to be reminded that you are bad at video games lest you become too egotistical.

I wouldn't say you can "blame" the other person for your loss but it's definitely because they hit you better than you hit them. It's fair to acknowledge the other person's role in the loss; If your opponent didn't hit you so much you would have won. It takes two to wombo combo.

I'm being facetious here but the only competitive video game thing I can think of where you can blame no one but yourself would be racing against your ghost to beat a time trial. You can walk away from any competition you lose thinking "Man, that was all me. I can't believe I turfed it" but you can also walk away thinking "If only those other people did worse I would have won." Which thought you give more weight to defines your character.

The worst type of player is the one who believes that there is a "right" way to play a game and thinks that any variation should be against the rules or is cheating. You hear about them in statistic games like Texas Hold 'Em or Blackjack, and if you've played Smash or Goldeneye with a group of people there's probably been one who insists on imposing their rules, particularly when they lose. I was at a party a few months ago where people were playing Melee and a guy got real mad about the settings after he lost twice. All his whining did was kill the mood.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Help Im Alive posted:

What's the best final boss fight

Is it the boss

Phantasium posted:

I still really like Giygas.
Also the Ocelot fight at the end of Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

On that fighting game note, I was glad to find the goon fighting game discord and see that a bunch of insiders were circle-jerk heckling posts I had made in both the Injustice and Tekken threads, feels great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBoNgxl_2k0&t=5500s

e: It's time coded to 1:31:40 because no one's pulled out the relevant line for its own clip. Likely because no one remembers or cares or owns this movie.

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jun 2, 2017

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

raditts posted:

I know saying anything bad about Earthbound is harem, but Giygas was a pretty dull battle imo.

I think the reception can be drastically changed if you know the trick ahead of time or if you try to tackle it like a normal boss until making a desperation move. My case was the later and I think it was a great way to end the game.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

wizard on a water slide posted:

The only thing about FF1 that's reeeeally biffed up is the fact that it lets you swing at dead enemies to no effect.

This was the edutainment part of the game. It taught young minds basic math with every fight. okay, this ogre has between 212 and 274 hp so I think my B Belt can finish it off but I'll have B Mage bash it too just in case.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

It will never be safe for your to change your avatar back.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

oddium posted:

what was the manga where like cockroaches evolved into black people

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Klaus Kinski posted:

Izalith is pretty loving hilarious in how obvious the "GET IT SHIPPED" work is. There's pretty much nothing except randomly placed enemies and the boss there when you can't go 5 feet in every other area without tripping over a piece of lore.

The land of Bloom and Dragon Butts

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I still can't get over someone thinking that tuna noodle casserole is a soggy puddle. I read that post and for a moment I was angry, but then I realized that it wasn't that the poster's fault. Like an abused dog that's afraid of being petted, I feel pity for them and angry at the world.

In gaming news, I played some Immortal Defense because it was hella cheap although I remember playing it before. Was it ever a free indie game? I also played some more Nier: A and I've got myself right up to what I think is the big separation point for the second playthrough. It wasn't great fun to go through the side quests that I had left 2/3 done, but with every mission completed I know it's one more thing I'll never have to do again.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I have a box of XBox 360 games that I know I'll never touch again. There were some neat exclusives but nothing I want to go through the trouble of dealing with the console again for. I've thought about ways to sell them but at this point I'd probably sell the lot for $30 to someone who was motivated enough to be a serious online seller.

Then again, I have a copy of Gotcha Force in box with the manual on my shelf that I'm hoping will become my kid's college fund, so maybe I should take the time and price what I've got before purging.

e: Whoops, that's not the price I remember. Still, $100 would be nice in a pinch.

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jun 5, 2017

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm very fond of this but I've recently been using Knytt Underground for its super chill exploration. No combat, just simple movement puzzles and gorgeous backgrounds.

The character art is very... I like it but it's not great, so it's fortunate you don't see it very much.

Have you played Within a Deep Forest? It's by the save developer and was freeware for a long time (probably still is). It has a lot of the exploration elements of Knytt but with an even more sparse story and is perfect for relaxing game time. You control a bouncing ball that can unlock different elements to transform into (iron, rubber, glass) and has a bunch of connected areas to explore. Check it out.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Hey chat thread. Tmi incoming

Between my post about Within a Deep Forest and now I've had Real Mad Poops and vomited 5 (five!) times in rapid succession (twice in my poorly draining sink and thrice in the toilet). And I'm not even on a Carnival Cruise Line. If this is my last post on Earth I want you to know that I love you all and Final Fantasy XIII was trash for idiot babies.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I survived the night but didn't get any sleep. I think I've purged everything from my body and now have a legitimate sick day. I'm mostly confined to the bed with the forums, a book, and a Vita with like 50 games on it. Maybe I'll try more Little King Story but I'll probably just flick through the pages of games without ever deciding on anything.

The book is Republic of Thieves and it opens with the main character dying of poison. Felt apt at 4am when I was expelling macaroni through my sinuses.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I think the idea behind a For Honor is cool but 80% of the clips is see from it are cheap deaths caused by bad net code. Additionally, it's hard to keep a player constantly engaged in your multiplayer game. I come back to Overwatch for their special events but that means I'm ignoring Battlefield, Call of Duty, Rainbow Six, and Street Fighter. And I prefer single player experiences anyway.

That article isn't completely fair either, since it compares current player counts to the high during beta. A $60 wall will keep out a huge majority of people coming from a free trial.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Some of these character designs do deserve a better game to be in honestly.

Give that Mushroom some sort of third-person action platformer to gallivant around in.

Edit: Actually wasn't there a game released like a decade ago starring tall and lanky mushrooms?

Maybe this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68CK8ivxjHk

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jun 7, 2017

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Thoreau would make a Rust LP where he made a big show of doing everything himself but later would be found to have used a modified private server in a revelation that many would compare to Man vs Wild

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

This seems like a long shot but is there a Killing Floor 2 thread or a good place to talk about it? It's one of the PS+ games for this month and I think it's a pretty fun way to spend time shooting zombies. I like playing these types of games with goons who have mics, but it doesn't have the following that some games have so I don't know if there's a SA community around it. I played the first KF on PC but I think this one has made a lot of nice improvements and it's one of the better PS+ games in a while.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

PantsBandit posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3714478

Pro-tip if you're ever looking for a thread for a particular game just go to google and do "game name + somethingawful"

Thank you for not just posting a "let me google that for you link"

suuma posted:

Wasn't KF2 regarded as 'not good'?

or was it just because it was in early access for like a year and a half when it's just a better looking version of KF1?
I dunno about the reception outside of my own, but it looks better, feels better put together, there are more classes and they synergize better, and it's on a console that performs better than my laptop so I give it two thumbs up.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

FirstAidKite posted:

But does it have flare revolvers and the ability to let you play as a british royal guard?

You have a variety of British guards to play as. Also a man obsessed with the Middle Ages who wears knight armor, your standard gasmask wearing fellows, and my personal favorite: a rockabilly lady. I wish there were a few more female avatars to round out the beefcake but it doesn't really matter. It also gives you a bunch of customization options for each person right out of the gate. Some more variety with the boss zombies would be nice, too, but for a free* game it's not bad.

Also, when you reload a revolver that's already full of ammo you do Revolver Ocelot gun tricks.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Give me a new Front Mission, but not like the most recent action-based ones. I want my mecha combat to be turn based with a complicated arrangement of skills and knuckle dusters.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJW2WiY_ULk&t=90s
Man, a reboot of this on the Wii U could have rocked.

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jun 8, 2017

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

In Training posted:

This is a weird game but it gets boring fast and there's like 50 missions that are all the same thing

I've never played it, but I think it'd be cool to have the TV show the human perspective and the Wii U gamepad have a cockpit view or something.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Bicyclops posted:

I mean, as far as advertising goes, it's better than virtually ever commercial I can remember having to sit through, or flash ads, or Facebook sidebar ads, or the godawful ones that I have to see on the subway every morning.

I agree, I'll take the harmless, mostly out-of-sight remarks from some brands on twitter over an obnoxious 15 second ad that pops up every 8 minutes. Like, the people getting ironically disturbed are only seeing it because someone else screen capped and shared it. It's not like it was filling up your personal twitter feed. They aren't sponsored tweets. Just let them have fun.

Real hurthling! posted:

Guilty gear team making a dragon ball z marvel style fighter.

My scouter just broke calculating the power level

Yeah, but can I have a Fat Buu/Kid Buu tag team?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

exquisite tea posted:

They should make a fighting game that's just cats in poorly fitting armor and call it Soooul Cat-liburrrr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtF80UCgarY

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

The shadowy still at the end of the KH3 trailer kinda sorta looks like a Gurren Lagann drill.

CJacobs posted:

Regardless of your feelings on subtitles, I think we can all agree that games that launch directly into the story right out of the publisher logos without allowing you to access an options menu first are just the worst.

I fired up Horizon Zero Dawn last night and it starts with some language questions and my subtitle preference before jumping into the opening cutscene, and gives you access to a real options menu before any gameplay. I think that was a nice compromise but console games don't need a lot of fiddling with the graphics so I don't presume it would be perfect for PC games.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

exquisite tea posted:

Well in the first game we saw a butterfly come to symbolize Max's branching realities through rewinding time, aka the butterfly effect. This game appears to prominently feature a raven, which are commonly associated with prophecy in many cultures. So maybe the gimmick of this game will be seeing glimpses into the future and trying to figure out how your decisions in the present will affect them. Who knows!

The prophecy angle could be kind of meta, seeing how most people who will play Life is 2trange would be familiar with the original and therefor playing the game with the knowledge of these characters' future. Will players make decisions that seem to go against the interests of Chloe because they know how it will benefit her in a different game? Even something like the other girl, Rachel, having powers but not telling Chloe, setting up some classic tragic irony.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Palpek posted:

To be more precise It's from the trailer for Wolfenstein 2 that was just shown during the Bethesda conference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2HKHdVIy9k

Another game about killing race purists. Have liberals gone too far?

Captain Invictus posted:

The best one-liner I've heard from them was when COD was revealed to be going back to WW2 and Jeff Gerstmann said "Sometimes people need to be reminded that Nazis should be on the wrong end of the gun."

That's a pretty nice quote.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWNjC02MG7Y

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

They keep writing [REDACTED] but I keep reading Konami. Also lol at the guy going from "I smashed up an arcade machine in front of their hq" to "I paid a guy to drop off an arcade cabinet and I assume it was smashed"

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

:kiss:

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Lizard Wizard posted:

*lovingly caresses Super Mario Odyssey footage, then turns to camera* Moai~

Mario x They Live confirmed

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Playing through Horizon and I really appreciate how useful the armament is. I keep going into combat encounters thinking that my bow will be enough and then leaning on my spear when things go tits up, but every time I die and try the encounter again I sprinkle in some rope ties, trip wires and elemental bombs and it goes a lot smoother. The rope caster alone has really helped me trivialize otherwise lethal battles. Watching the Monster Hunter World footage reminds me of that same feeling. Not because the hunter uses different weapons, but because a straight fight is a losing battle.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Just smile and keep saying "maaaaaayyyybe"

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Someone recommend me an iPhone game. I've played a lot of crap so I'm looking for gems. I don't mind paying for a good game.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

So was I the only one who thought that when Sonic Mania was only going to have a few new areas, that meant that the repeated ones, like Green Hill and Chemical Plant, were going to be the exact same as their original appearances? I was okay with that, too. But that's not the case

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG6z9E6_LA8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IGIIOlfwZo

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

As much as I'd like Beyond Good & Evil 2 to be amazing, I think it was stupid to put out another trailer with nothing to really show. Ancel sounds excited for his plan but it reeks of feature bloat, especially since they haven't really done any work on gameplay. The description that was posted earlier sounded like a jumble of buzzwords, each of which makes the game more complicated to finish. And why even attach it to BG&E if you're going to have player-created characters and procedural worlds? Just make a contained story with fun gameplay and loving finish it. Let me photograph animals for money and give me some nice music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTdcJWDNsao

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

exquisite tea posted:

Every good bad game has to mention its own name at some point in the story.
https://vimeo.com/219945413

e: Huh, looks like the video bbcode for vimeo doesn't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Phantasium posted:

idk I'm just replaying Xenogears and got to the Tower of Babel last night.

It's not as bad as I remembered. The later bits actually stop you from moving once a random battle is triggered but it's still annoying for that first segment.

There should be an "open disc tray" option specifically for Xenogears. Let it load the room but keep it from triggering random battles.

• Locked thread