Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Pop-o-Matic Trouble posted:

I'm not buying a vita for one game. This isnt nintendo.
I bought a Vita 60% for P4G, and 40% for Ys Celceta. Even as of now, despite having an OK time with a few other games, those remain the two best games I've played on it by a huge margin. Don't regret it one bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
If I'm reading this MGSV message correctly, by not having PS+ I can be invaded but can't in turn invade others or protect my FOBs? Is there basically any point to having the FOB feature (rather, staying online), then? Cause I'm never going to get PS+.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

CJacobs posted:

It greatly increases your available storage for materials and development points or whatever they're called, and some extremely late-game equipment costs more than you can actually even store with an offline-only save. Which is ridiculous and stupid but it doesn't matter in the slightest so feel free to ignore it.
I just wanted to make sure I wasn't in a situation where I could not actually protect my FOB with security forces because I didn't have PS+.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

CJacobs posted:

You actually are in that situation, yes. You can be invaded but you can't take any of the retaliation or defense steps.
So even the crap I can buy like cameras and infrared junk isn't going to get implemented?

Guess I can just hope that most people have stopped playing MGSV at this point.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

CJacobs posted:

It does put that stuff up, yeah, but it's all borderline useless unless you have super high grade S-tier soldiers or whathaveyou that can just annihilate people before they can even move. The real way to stop people is to defend the base yourself in person... which you can't do, so all your stuff is gonna get jacked. Have fun! :downs:
Probably worth at least grabbing the insurance once I build it up a bit.

This game got kind of dumb real fast!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The last fighting game I bought was Soul Calibur II on the Gamecube, because it had Link in it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Actually I think I bought Divekick when it came out and played it for about 5 minutes, so that's my last fighting game.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I really should replay FF9. Did they ever make the text not look weird in the Steam release?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu is a real, real loving good show.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Ain't no caveats or skeeviness to worry about in hit anime, Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Real hurthling! posted:

Cheaper than a frame meister
At a certain point the extra space saved outweighs the cost IMO.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I got stuck on the fat boss (I think it was the second one) in Little King's Story. But having compared what I did play of that to Ys Origin, it's Ys Origin without a second thought.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I like Tropical Freeze I just think it's way too hard for its own good more often than not, especially parts that felt very much designed to force you to have a partner which meant as soon as you died (which obviously was going to happen) it'd get 100x times harder.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Trails of Cold Steel is the best mecha game I've played in years.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I am OK with another Metroid Prime, yes. Yeah.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

glam rock hamhock posted:

Oh my god Mario Odyssey looks insane
Somehow the Mario-Rabbids-XCOM game looks more normal.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I just want IGA to be able to make games again.

For what it's worth at least the impressions from people who have actually gotten to play it at E3 and the judges panels seem to like it a lot, including Jeff Gerstmann who is insanely jaded and cynical about everything.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

corn in the bible posted:

it's pronounced "xrd." i know you'd think it would be pronounced "xrd" but in fact its "xrd"

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Sakurazuka posted:

I should really finish it yeah.

Unfortunately I've resolved to play through all the Kingdom Hearts games in order before KH3 comes out.

Fortunately that gives me plenty time.
Weren't you going through TitS SC? That's a lot better use of your time than KH!!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Sakurazuka posted:

Oh yeah I forgot about that, hmmmm
Man maybe it's just because I've been playing TitS 3rd lately but god drat that is a good trilogy. I figured it was going to be hard to go back to those older games' gameplay fter Trails of Cold Steel but it's been so much fun. You have so much to look forward to!!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I've felt that when all the cards are on the table, Order of Ecclesia is my favorite Castlevania. SotN is an amazing game but there is so much god drat bloat and it's just an overall rather rough experience to revisit, most notably in the difficutly department where clearly they had not figured out how to scale enemies with the new leveling system to not make everything a joke in the second half. OoE has the best overall challenge and gameplay of the rest, with even the bonus of not having the medicore art of Dawn/Portrait. In the end I love all of the IGAvanias except for Harmony but OoE will always be my #1.

But that said the reasons I like those games and other, traditional Castlevanias are so far apart that I feel it's a lot more fair to categorize them as such. For the other set my favorite has to be Rondo of Blood.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Samuringa posted:

Gaming confession: The closest I got to playing a Classic Castlevania was the SotN opening. I guess I should try them some day?
I love the NES ones but they are...hard in a way that takes a while to appreciate.

Rondo of Blood and Super Castlevania IV are legit though. I also rather enjoyed the Wii remake of The Adventure.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Andrast posted:

I haven't had any problems with any modern controller. All of them are fine.
Pretty much. I have a intense hatred for the 360 controller because it became the de facto PC gamepad you'd have to use when its d-pad is so abysmal but everything else is fine.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The voices they give Yoshi (and Link in LttP) are intolerable.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
And with that, having finished MGS5, I've now completed every main MGS game (1-4, GZ, TPP, and PW) on top of watching LPs of the MSX games, all of which was for the first time with the weird exception of MGS2 which I played when it first came out.

The top three are insanely easy for me to rank: 3>2>1. MGS3 was a joyful experience which was a distillation of the sneaking gameplay while also having a cool setting/story and lots of fun/quirky Easter eggs. As for the rest, I don't know. I feel like I could make an argument for PW, 5, or 4 as being the worst games. 4 has the worst story of the lot, but it did have some of the most memorable set pieces like the Rex vs. Ray fight. 5's "plot" was profoundly unsatisfying but the gameplay was way better than PW and it's not like PW's story was blowing the doors off either. But PW also doesn't have the ridiculous and tedious bloat that 5 has.

It took some 2 years but I can finally close the book on that effort, finally.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

oddium posted:

did you play twin snakes or psx
PSX. I played the Legacy collection on the PS3.

Macarius Wrench posted:

You ain't seen poo poo till Revengance bhoi!
I watched the Metal Gear Scanlon of that. I'm good.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'd rather just replay Bayo 2 if I was in the mood for a Platinum game.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Sakurazuka posted:

If you like Platinum games I've no idea why you wouldn't want to play Revengeance.
Raiden is a butt.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Sakurazuka posted:

He owns actually. Also serious lol if that's really your reason for not playing one of the best games of last gen.
I was being facetious. The truth is I'm not that big into Platinum games outside of Bayo 2 and I've already watched all of Revengeance and did not really have a desire to play it myself afterwards.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I would youtube Rex vs. Ray, Old Snake vs. Ocelot, and maybe the graveyard scene from 4 at least.

I'm honestly not sure what PW and 5 brought to the table in the end, other than usually being kind of fun to play. Basically everything actually relevant to bridging the gap from 3 to original Metal Gear is relegated to the last batch of cassette tapes you get after finishing the final story mission.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

In Training posted:

I get why a lot of people were bummed that V had "less" story or whatever, but A) I love the narrative of V and think the cutscenes are some of the best in the series and a remarkably restrained MG game (especially coming off of 4) and B) if it had 0 cutscenes I wouldn't care because I still played it for 120+ hours to 100% and did it again with a PC mod to make every mission in Subsistence mode. Well I didn't 100% it again but I played through most of it again
I think I would've been much more in the mood for 5's understated story if the game was about a quarter as long as it was and not over 100 hours of replaying the same missions/side ops over and over with just slight flavor variations. The Fox engine is a lot of fun but even it can't sustain that for that long. By the time I got to the end and found out there were no story reasons to play the missions in [] (like [Extreme], [Total Stealth], etc.) I just said gently caress it and rushed through it to get to the end.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Also what was the point of putting fast travel points in bases that require you to sneak to reach them, but can't actually use them if enemies are in alert, and if you do use them you can't actually move because you're of course surrounded by dudes in the next base.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Then don't make me have to get around the map to do all kinds of Side Ops, the alternate being waste a poo poo ton of GMP to just call in the helicopter constantly. At least in Africa you can just drive everywhere.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Everything with Naomi in 4 is the nadir of the entire MG franchise.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
As much grief as I give Raiden the bait and switch him as the MC in MGS2 is executed extremely well and smartly.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

exquisite tea posted:

I would like to participate in the Steam sale excitement but there's nothing that I really want or need right now.
I have some stuff I want but none of it is that much off % wise in the sale so far.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Ys II is a lot better than the first game, but that's a weird case where the sequel is basically just the second half of one thing, to the point where it's generally always sold as Ys I&II.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

In Training posted:

Dream Course is 1000x better than DKC2
It's better than Kirby 3 but otherwise, nooooooooooope.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
This is the most rolleyesin', rear end in a top hat :smug: way to look at this, but I'm cool with not having one of these minis or a VC on the Switch since at this point if I wanted to play one of those games I'd just do so on my RGB-modded consoles. The only notable exception will forever be Earthbound since those carts go for like $200.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Kirby Super Star is not only the best Kirby game, it's one of the best games on the SNES period. It also has the bonus of having good B/Y Jump/Attack button mapping unlike the DS release.

• Locked thread