Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Cowcaster posted:

june is end boss month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

i'm a person.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The final boss of Persona 5 felt like a real chump compared to the ones in 3 and 4; at the very least, the fight seemed substantially shorter.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

FF1 has a lot of rough bits but it's also really straightforward and has a coherent idea of what it wants to be without getting too experimental. It works out well.

The only thing about FF1 that's reeeeally biffed up is the fact that it lets you swing at dead enemies to no effect. Well, that and all the bugged and dysfunctional spells, elemental, and creature type modifiers.

It does hold up better than a lot of NES games, though, and it's pretty wild that it has a Vancian magic system.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

suuma posted:

I made a D&D joke at work and 3 of the guys I work with now want me to come over for Friday night game night and eghhhhhhhhhh :suicide:

Are they cool guys and do you have any other plans Friday night? If the answers are "yes" and "no", you should give it a shot. D&D is fun

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Persona 5's NA sales are actually kinda disappointing. They aren't terrible; they just barely hit P4's lifetime sales on PS2 during the release window (~340k) so they'll probably pass that, though the tail on P5 sales looks loving terrible.

I was hoping it'd be a surprise blockbuster, and there were some initial signs it might. Japanese sales were higher than Persona 4, reviews were outstanding, marketing was better, and I had several friends who aren't really "hardcore gamers" or w/e talking about it on social media.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

http://gematsu.com/2017/04/persona-5-worldwide-shipments-top-1-5-million

persona 5 sold about 600-700k in japan. please account for the other 800ish k.

this is weird bc the stats I just looked at said under 300k for north america

assuming it's not just shipped copies rotting on shelves everywhere I'm glad of it tho

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

I mentioned it before but that's basically the role of Summons these days. They were kinda chill in the SNES days and since them have become increasingly giant assholes. FF13 probably has the nicest summons in recent memory and they stll attempt to murder their summoner when they appear. Even frigging World of Final Fantasy has horrifying death summons. The adorable mini-ifrits literally burst from inside someone like a chestburster.

I'm way into this. My favorite way of handling summons was FF12, where they used the Lucavi from FFT and final bosses from older games to make them seem like some poo poo you'd find listed in a demonological grimoire or something.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Grapplejack posted:

Welp, that's it then, Nintendo is literally doomed.

how the heck are they gonna wiggle outta this one!!!

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

I need something that says "dad likes leather"

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Nobody seems to be talking about my man Nier wrt gaming dads. The best kind of dad is a dad who realizes the enormity of his sins and owns them.

Siegmeyer of Catarina is an irresponsible gaming dad, by turns

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

lmao wanna share this but don't wanna upset friends missing a dad or father figure today :/

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

babypolis posted:

i mean team sports are also filled with whiny assholes so i dont see how this problem is unique to gaming

The only advantage team sports have is that generally you at least play with the same team over the course of a season, which sets certain social expectations and helps enforce a sense of camaraderie to some extent. You also don't have the same layer of anonymity.

Mobas are basically designed to facilitate poor sportsmanship, and when i played League it was funny seeing how much of Riot's time and energy was spent just trying to get the community to behave better.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Jay Rust posted:

Don't play games you don't like imo

while this is good advice wrt people continuing to play a shooter or moba or something forever and bitching about it idk how it applies to people saying ff15 takes a nosedive, because it's hard to know you don't like something until you play it, and ff15 is a game that takes continual turns in design

the real optional postgame dungeon is a puzzle platformer ffs

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This trend of gamedevdudes working through their fatherhood issues and midlife crises is getting somewhat tiring, are we going to get a bunch of oldmangames a few years down the road

ehhHH it's a phenomenon that's given us the last of us and nier gestalt, and there's a lot of good art in other media that's oldman stuff so bring it on

just ignore the bad games

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Super Metroid

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not emotionally invested in Nintendo and think Nintendo fans can be extremely crazy and weirdly defensive just like hardcore fans of p much anything

I also think getting extremely worked up over how outrageously overpriced something that costs less than $100 is, especially when part of your argument is "this stuff is so easy to steal anyway", is extremely weird

As my friends Trey Parker and Matt Stone say, the truth may very well be in the middle...

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Slippy: I can't wait to acquire a SNES Classic at the market-reasonable price of $80 and enjoy gaming.

Falco: *too busy composing angry letter to Nintendo to be reached for comment*

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
in almost every case on the SNES classic setlist, it's also a really loving good old game

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

"If it doesn't affect me, it's not a problem"

maybe the entire point is that other peoples' hypothetical inability to get the snes classic, which is not yet available for sale, isn't a serious problem at all

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

corn in the bible posted:

why did team ico give trico a butthole, i dont want to see trico's butthole

pets show you their butt holes all the time, it's just another part of the game's simulationist quality

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

chumbler posted:

It was an interesting thread for a while and I learned some things from it, but yeah it went off the rails pretty quickly on both sides.

Agreed with both parts, there were some good posts and conversations in it

Like I still think the one about "default whiteness" in games primarily developed by Asians for Asian markets, and how white people think characters like Cloud from FF7 are obviously white but Japanese gamers don't see it that way, is loving fascinating because there's a whole lot going on there on both sides and people who treat things like that as if they're a settled issue either way are nuts

I sometimes wish there was still a thread like it and I once actively considered what the OP should look like and what rules it should lay out to avoid it becoming another shitpit and moderator nightmare, but it's not worth the trouble for me personally to try and manage

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

In Training posted:

also Wild Arms 2 update: I tried again and beat it. Thanks to the power of friendship, I banished the original sin from Filgaia. We did it everyone

Good work, gamer

Is WA2 good? I played the first one and the remake of the first one but never the others

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

FirstAidKite posted:

"God I wish I wasn't so friendless" - a guy who keeps acting like an rear end lol

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

notch has done literally nothing with his money besides sit around and be miserable all day, which is insane to me. do coke, man. buy the rights to chrono trigger and remake it as an fps. you could do literally anything you wanted.

I mean wrt the unhealthy lifestyle/body thing you could literally pay a six-figure salary to a full-time chef to cook you multiple healthy, delicious meals per day

being a millionaire or narrowly part of the 1% or w/e is one thing, having notch money or trump money or w/e is totally different and I've always thought it was baffling how mundane or sad some of their lives seem to be (almsot as if there's a lesson here about what kind of person becomes uber rich and something something money and love)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

oddium posted:

i'm playing....... lufia 2. i've only done the tutorial puzzle dungeon but it seems neat

It's cool, but the translation and QA are rough

It all feels held together with duct tape in a way that more polished but still buggy 16-bit RPGs like FF6 don't

• Locked thread