Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
harskarenjag
Mar 11, 2008
I'm in Texas.

I have an undergrad degree in Finance that I got in 2011. I wanted to do the cool investment banking poo poo that you see in movies - private equity, mergers and acquisitions, etc. I'm still interested in the financial side of those operations but guess what? If you don't have an ivy league degree or a CFA, that's mostly out of the question for you. So I started as a customer service representative for a very large brokerage firm in 2012 - I handled equity, fixed income, options, and mutual fund trades for all sorts of regular people who would call in, so essentially it was a glorified call center job and my starting pay was $35k. I did receive series 7 and 63 licences as part of my training which are fairly marketable and prove I know basic finance and market mechanics. I hated it. I hate dealing with customers, and I hated being micromanaged on the phone. I lucked in to a position on the fraud team with the same company (networking is everything) and did that for 2.5 years and was promoted to senior analyst. My job was to proactively prevent wire fraud, identity theft, stock manipulation, and debit card fraud among many other responsibilities. Not a phone job. I made $68k altogether with overtime and bonus just a couple of years after college (2014). I was happy and excelling at the job, but lucked in to an interview with the cybersecurity team after having coffee with an old friend (networking is everything). I was given a $23,000 raise to join the cyber function, and an increased percentage bonus.

I worked very hard to learn everything I could (python, scripting, network hardware/stacks, IDS/IPS system) and received a few certifications related to cybersecurity that the company paid for. I was told I was underpaid to market by some friends in the industry but didn't think much of it because of how far I had come. Just landed a new job making $105k plus 20% bonus as a cybersecurity consultant at a big 4 firm and start Monday. I work very hard and try to learn as much as I can from the people around me and be humble, so obviously that is part of the success but technology related jobs in general are MUCH better for your mental well being. I work from home whenever I want, I set my own schedule, I have 25 vacation days a year and 10 paid holidays with unlimited sick time, and obviously I'm being paid a ridiculous amount of money for a skill that anyone can really learn in their spare time online. There are more good hackers out there trying to steal company data than there are people to prevent it. That's my story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread