Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luna
May 31, 2001

A hand full of seeds and a mouthful of dirt

89 posted:

So, small update. Got my resume in and all that stuff. My contact is trying to get me in with an Enterprise Command Center job.

This is anecdotal but it is the way I came up and I have helped others come up this way. Take every poo poo job, every after hours project. Be the guy your boss knows they can get ahold of in a pinch. Let your boss know that you have ambitions and show them what you are doing on your own to get there. Once you're there, figure out where you want to go next and make nice with that group. Ask them if there is any poo poo work that they don't want to deal with and see if you can do it for them, even on your own time. When there is an opening in that group, you're the obvious choice.

I know this sounds like doing some work for free but it is an investment you make for the future. I've been promoted/given raises over smarter more qualified people because I would actually do the work and not act like it is below me. IT is still an industry where once you're in the door, what you do is what matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread