Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

rdb posted:

Flying sucks

I was flying home from Spain the other day (3 hours or so) and by the gate was a huge dude. Tall, wide, and overweight. My first instinct was, naturally, to pray that he wouldn't be seated next to me, but the next thing that hit me was that a) he probably hated flying very, very much and b) he probably hated being that guy who everyone dreaded being seated next to, and it made me realize that it's a sucky situation all around...

How about telling your company to give you business class or to not put you on a plane at all? Does a CRJ even have anything acceptable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

slidebite posted:

Where are you going to be Aug 21 for the Eclipse?
https://www.greatamericaneclipse.com/best-places-to-view/

Those of you in the US and SW Canada, are you going to try to see it?

My parents are letting my wife and I use the vacation house by Charleston. Aiming to be on the beach for it, we'll see if that works. Need to start checking Amazon for eclipse viewing supplies soon.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
It goes against company policy to discuss it online, but I work for a composite building materials company. I managed one of their smaller plants. Right now its more of a project management role for the same salary. Don't get me wrong, I am grateful for the time it afforded me with my son while working from home post closure, but the flying part has continued to be a drain. And it looks like a small error may have just extended this project past the current end of my contract.

The local economy continues to improve, I get Facebook adds all the time for the toyota plant hiring people at up to $32/hr for skills that I have. Its so tempting. Or a plant just down the road is has a position with the same job title. Or I have the money and time to go back to college, or my wife and I are in the position where I can take a job that pays less but is more satisfying even if it makes my resume look lovely. Idk. I could even take a vacation but I forgot how to relax while away from home and gently caress being on a plane.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

bolind posted:

How about telling your company to give you business class or to not put you on a plane at all? Does a CRJ even have anything acceptable?

No, its all coach on a CRJ200 which I always seem to get stuck on for the last flight. Delta labels a bulkhead seat "comfort +" now and considers it an upgrade but the width is the same, if not less because of the tray tables in the armrest.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

As someone who has no family and loves chatting up strangers at airport bars, I love flying. But I'm definitely in the minority.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

rdb posted:

It goes against company policy to discuss it online, but I work for a composite building materials company. I managed one of their smaller plants. Right now its more of a project management role for the same salary. Don't get me wrong, I am grateful for the time it afforded me with my son while working from home post closure, but the flying part has continued to be a drain. And it looks like a small error may have just extended this project past the current end of my contract.

The local economy continues to improve, I get Facebook adds all the time for the toyota plant hiring people at up to $32/hr for skills that I have. Its so tempting. Or a plant just down the road is has a position with the same job title. Or I have the money and time to go back to college, or my wife and I are in the position where I can take a job that pays less but is more satisfying even if it makes my resume look lovely. Idk. I could even take a vacation but I forgot how to relax while away from home and gently caress being on a plane.

Make moves. Apply for those jobs if they seem better. Disrupt your comfort zone. The old job doesn't need to know about you looking elsewhere, and interviews are harmless.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
have thought about losing weight op? start with what's in your power to change

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I dropped from 350 to 220. Width was still an issue but the seatbelt extender wasn't. Back up a bit after getting married, and your right, it helps, but it doesn't change head into the the bin or knees into the seat.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

CRJ-200s suck hard enough as a short guy. Can't imagine being tall and being packed into one of those regularly. Oof.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
As someone big who has started flying for work, I thank god that I live in California so all my routes are on southwest, and they'll fly 737s forever.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

nm posted:

As someone big who has started flying for work, I thank god that I live in California so all my routes are on southwest, and they'll fly 737s forever.

And they fly those goddamn things like fighters.

Lufthansa pilots are so goddamn mellow in comparison it's a snoozefest.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

financially racist posted:

the people down the road moved out of the house they were renting and left their non-running rx7 fd behind.

it has no rust but i have no idea why it doesn't run. i am thinking of asking the landlord about it since he will presumably get it via abandonment.

please talk me out of this terrible, terrible idea.
If its cheap get it get it get it get it get it get it...

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

slidebite posted:

I'm a few (OK, 6 or so) hours from seeing possibly the best chance at a total eclipse in my life. Mrs Slidebite and I decided we'd best try to see it.

Best/closest area is in the middle of butt-gently caress nowhere, Idaho, only to discover hotel rooms solidly booked for Pocatello and Idaho Falls already. Being the height of summer probably doesn't help matters much. Ended up just booking Butte, Mt which is 3 hours North from the main path of totality but works well because we can take in Lewis and Clark caverns the day before and just need to leave the room by 7AM to be ~somewhere~ in the path to see it.

Passing almost directly over my town, I will be in my backyard with beer

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

If you have never seen a near totality or totality eclipse it is really weird. The animals get confused and think it is dusk. When it happened in 1999 we had all the birds singing their evening chorus and the bats coming out. Even had a fox jump into the garden and be very confused as to why we were out there. He was even more confused when it suddenly started to get light again.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

rdb posted:

Idk. I could even take a vacation but I forgot how to relax while away from home and gently caress being on a plane.
My Dad leads the traveling install team for the company he's been with forever. September through New Years they are usually on the road 25+ days a month, only home long enough to meet someone at the airport with a suitcase full of clean clothes. After one particularly bad quarter the higher ups wanted to reward his team for all the hard work and long hours....they gave them travel vouchers. They were surprised and couldn't understand why no one was happy to get them. Think in the end they exchanged the vouchers for an extra week of vacation and some cash.

Just made an offer on a house! More garage space, more land, more quiet (middle of nowhere yet close to things) and another bedroom. Best part is it's well under budget.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 28, 2017

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

rdb posted:

I dropped from 350 to 220. Width was still an issue but the seatbelt extender wasn't. Back up a bit after getting married, and your right, it helps, but it doesn't change head into the the bin or knees into the seat.

Even when I was 165lbs, I couldn't get comfortable on a 2.5hr flight in one of those sardine cans. Losing weight is always helpful for these situations, but those planes are not comfortable in any way. Hell, even walking down the aisle has to be done diagonally, and hunched over, because there's no room for as many adult humans as they want to cram in there

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

BigPaddy posted:

If you have never seen a near totality or totality eclipse it is really weird. The animals get confused and think it is dusk. When it happened in 1999 we had all the birds singing their evening chorus and the bats coming out. Even had a fox jump into the garden and be very confused as to why we were out there. He was even more confused when it suddenly started to get light again.
Just don't go buying any carnivorous plants from old Chinese men.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
A guy dumped a burning Mk4 Jetta outside my house. It burned 1600+ acres and Jonny Galecki's house across the street. It made it 3/4 of a circle around my house, and the only way mine is still here is CalFire received a grant for fire prevention clearing and knocked down 30 acres of brush. Otherwise I'd be phone postin' from Motel 6 for a while.

Pictures incoming.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

rdb posted:

What did you do to lose the weight? My holiday weight gain has stuck around this year.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Josh Lyman posted:

What did you do to lose the weight? My holiday weight gain has stuck around this year.
Cant speak for him, but its a lot easier the bigger you are. Limit your intake and move around occasionally. It should never be more complicated than that.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Josh Lyman posted:

Started by cutting out sugar, then eliminated more carbohydrates, started commuting on a bike, it was a lot of little changes that I have since let slide more than a bit.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

There was a bit of excitement at work today as a helicopter landed.
Unfortunately it turned out to be an air ambulance because someone fell 30m off a crane.
No report on how the bloke is but he was taken away via road rather than air which was odd because we have our own onsite ambulance so why would the summon the helicopter?

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

freelop posted:

Unfortunately it turned out to be an air ambulance because someone fell 30m off a crane.
No report on how the bloke is but he was taken away via road rather than air which was odd because we have our own onsite ambulance so why would the summon the helicopter?

He probably didn't make it.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

InitialDave posted:

There is nothing mental or dumb about this.

i think wanting a car like this for american roads is quite mental. i also think the az-1 is an extremely dumb car, but it's my kind of extremely dumb car. it's lovably insane and it's amazing they ever made that thing. love it.

slidebite posted:

I'm a few (OK, 6 or so) hours from seeing possibly the best chance at a total eclipse in my life. Mrs Slidebite and I decided we'd best try to see it.

Best/closest area is in the middle of butt-gently caress nowhere, Idaho, only to discover hotel rooms solidly booked for Pocatello and Idaho Falls already. Being the height of summer probably doesn't help matters much. Ended up just booking Butte, Mt which is 3 hours North from the main path of totality but works well because we can take in Lewis and Clark caverns the day before and just need to leave the room by 7AM to be ~somewhere~ in the path to see it.

i'll be driving 5 hours north to watch this poo poo

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

DJ Commie posted:

A guy dumped a burning Mk4 Jetta outside my house. It burned 1600+ acres and Jonny Galecki's house across the street. It made it 3/4 of a circle around my house, and the only way mine is still here is CalFire received a grant for fire prevention clearing and knocked down 30 acres of brush. Otherwise I'd be phone postin' from Motel 6 for a while.

Pictures incoming.

Any parts left from the Jetta?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Securely in the hands of the Sheriff, actually. The story so far goes that this car was on fire already once a bit up the road. The CalFire hand crew doing clearing happened to be there and put his car out. He then continued to drive and it was fully involved in a 1/4 mile or so. This genius supposedly ditched it in the grass on the side of the road, and I'm sure the aforementioned Sheriff's department has some questions.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Seat Safety Switch posted:

:same:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

freelop posted:

Helicopters actually don't take the ultra critical people. Sounds backwards, but you can do more in a box on the ground versus a noisy cramped helicopter. Flight medic either refused him due to criticality, or due to lack thereof. It's a very specific mix of "type of injury" along with "elevated ETA would cause harm" that a helicopter is good for.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DJ Commie posted:

Securely in the hands of the Sheriff, actually. The story so far goes that this car was on fire already once a bit up the road. The CalFire hand crew doing clearing happened to be there and put his car out. He then continued to drive and it was fully involved in a 1/4 mile or so. This genius supposedly ditched it in the grass on the side of the road, and I'm sure the aforementioned Sheriff's department has some questions.

Saw the updates on FB as they happened, glad you are okay and suffered no losses.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Saw the updates on FB as they happened, glad you are okay and suffered no losses.

I lost all of the poison oak on the property, and now I drive around the old Yamah Rhino like a moon buggy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DJ Commie posted:

I lost all of the poison oak on the property, and now I drive around the old Yamah Rhino like a moon buggy.

All the cars survived, that is all that matters.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Wish me luck, goons. I'm going to check out a Focus from Craigslist. The street view of the address doesn't show the house from the ad, and said house is blurred out. Everything else in the ad checks out though, so hopefully I will not be murdered.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

slidebite posted:

poo poo. Closest to me is like 9 hours away.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Rhyno posted:

All the cars survived, that is all that matters.

drat right, though the firemen left the ignitions on and ruined the batteries. It'd be harder to buy a battery for a melted hulk that was formerly a car.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Do you have a battery conditioner? I have a couple of CTEKs, and they've rescued some fairly terminal stuff.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Darchangel posted:

poo poo. Closest to me is like 9 hours away.

About 14-15 hours for me, so even though it's on my birthday, I won't be celebrating by viewing the eclipse in person.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I'll be in one of the best spots for it. My school is right in one of the prime locations, but we aren't in session, so I'm planning to do a viewing party for my students anyway. I attended a PD at the local science center and they hooked me up with enough eclipse viewing glasses for all my kids. I'm thrilled

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Locator posted:

About 14-15 hours for me, so even though it's on my birthday, I won't be celebrating by viewing the eclipse in person.

We'll still be getting 'an' eclipse. It'll just be a partial.

The "Chrysler Sebring" of Eclipses, if you will.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
So nowhere near as good as it could be, yet still going to have a lot of people really liking it?

Sounds like a Mitsubishi Eclipse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

InitialDave posted:

Do you have a battery conditioner? I have a couple of CTEKs, and they've rescued some fairly terminal stuff.

I ran one through a Noco Genius in conditioning mode, and it seems to have come back. I'm less optimistic about the Yellowtop, its life has been rough even before this.

• Locked thread