Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009

ElMaligno posted:

i already thought the us military already donated heavily to Doctors without borders

Well how much does a 105mm round from an AC-130 cost? Because I think they donated a few of those to MSF/Doctors without borders a while back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Bernard McFacknutah posted:

Well how much does a 105mm round from an AC-130 cost? Because I think they donated a few of those to MSF/Doctors without borders a while back.

The rounds are cheap, but air delivery is expensive

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

yeah its like those free CDs that gently caress you on shipping costs because its same day delivery and upcharged

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Are you guys all referring to the accidental bombing strike of that Afghanistan hospital right now because if so those are some dank lols I'm having.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Blind Rasputin posted:

Are you guys all referring to the accidental bombing strike of that Afghanistan hospital right now because if so those are some dank lols I'm having.

yes that was the joke made

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Handsome Ralph posted:

Fuckkkkkk.

Seriously, I remember really liking the guy but between the pharma votes and his recent "Well Kushner isn't quite at the point where he should lose his clearance, PS- Him and his wife maxed out their contributions to my campaign(s?)" I could not be any more turned off by him as a candidate.
I'd heard he also strongly backed the privatization of a lot of public services in Jersey, though I've not got any specifics.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Missionary Positron posted:

Death to online newspaper comment sections.

USAA has a general comment section. If you are a member, take a look at it. There's been some extra activity the last few days.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Devin Nunes is still a white house toadie:

https://twitter.com/jeremyherb/status/870327299484377088

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

Can't wait.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
RIP Paris.

https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/870345452344025088

We officially can't leave until there's a four year process completed. So lol, this is gonna be a campaign issue in 2020 (if we're still alive).

https://twitter.com/BLeeDrake/status/870345556266176512

Recap: http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/here-s-what-happens-if-trump-leaves-paris-climate-agreement-n766761

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jun 1, 2017

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Philippines might have some more ISIS problems

https://twitter.com/CBCAlerts/status/870347365701607425

That's all the info atm

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
where in the crap did these numbers come from

https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/870349948939907072

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Out of Trump's people's asses.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Coal...bad?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Found the bullshit source.

https://twitter.com/AlexNBCNews/status/870353422054293504

Watch for members of Congress repeating the bullshit talking points.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

What the gently caress is up with the almost fetishistic thing the GOP has with coal?

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

What the gently caress is up with the almost fetishistic thing the GOP has with coal?

Well you see, there's this thing called votes

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

It's representative of the salt of the earth working class in an industry that will eventually lose jobs to automation and alternative forms of energy.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

tastefully arranged labia posted:

It's representative of the salt of the earth working class in an industry that will eventually lose jobs to automation and alternative forms of energy.

See also https://www.buzzfeed.com/davidmack/vroom-vroom

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

Zeris posted:

Yes, but isn't it comparatively small relative to other industries? I mean if this is the heading for the wiki article for coal mining in the US, the industry is in pretty bad shape: "By January 2016, more than 25% of coal production was in bankruptcy in the United States.[5] In 2015 four publicly-traded US coal companies filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, including Patriot Coal Corporation, Walter Energy, and the fourth-largest Alpha Natural Resources filed for bankruptcy protection. The second-largest producer Arch Coal and the largest producer Peabody Energy declared bankruptcy in 2016.[5][6][7] By March 2017, the coal industry employed approximately 77,000 miners. 60,000 jobs have been lost since 2011.[8]".

Why leech onto this tiny segment of the economy as being a fundamental part of 'MURICA? :psyduck:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Zeris posted:

There is no one actually working in the coal industry.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Because the GOP represents the good, hard working blue collar American and what better way to send that message than with the coal industry? It's not about the coal industry at all. It's about optics.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

tastefully arranged labia posted:

This but also renewable energy is simply a leftist/liberal goal and must be opposed regardless of merit (see also: Obamacare, Net Neutrality, Gay Marriage, Keynesian economics, NATO, the sun rising in the east, and true love).

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Thwomp posted:

This but also renewable energy is simply a leftist/liberal goal and must be opposed regardless of merit (see also: Obamacare, Net Neutrality, Gay Marriage, Keynesian economics, NATO, the sun rising in the east, and true love).

And those new lightbulbs, can't forget those.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

TBeats posted:

Because the GOP represents the good, hard working blue collar American and what better way to send that message than with the coal industry? It's not about the coal industry at all. It's about optics.

I realize that, but I just can't understand why it's coal of all things. Am I missing some cultural context here?

EDIT: https://twitter.com/sparksjls/status/870355669882417152

lol/ :smith:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

I realize that, but I just can't understand why it's coal of all things. Am I missing some cultural context here?

EDIT: https://twitter.com/sparksjls/status/870355669882417152

lol/ :smith:

Because it takes a lot less effort and resources to appease an industry that will die anyway than to back McDonald's workers. And the blowback isn't as huge when you inevitably fail.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thwomp posted:

Except if it's nuclear energy, while the right isn't terribly helpful, that's the one where the left goes pants of head stupid and helps keep coal in use more than Trump ever will.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 1, 2017

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

TBeats posted:

Because it takes a lot less effort and resources to appease an industry that will die anyway than to back McDonald's workers. And the blowback isn't as huge when you inevitably fail.

I guess my biggest mistake was to assign logic to the way the modern GOP functions.

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Accept if it's nuclear energy, while the right isn't terribly helpful, that's the one where the left goes pants of head stupid and helps keep coal in use more than Trump ever will.

Tbh, new nuclear plants can be a titanic boondoggles. Case in point, Finland's fifth nuclear power plant that was supposed to be operational in 2010 but is still under construction and waaaaaaaaay over budget:

quote:

The main contractor, Areva, is building the unit for a fixed price of €3 billion, so in principle, any construction costs above that price fall on Areva. In July 2012, those overruns were estimated at more than €2 billion,[36] and in December 2012, Areva estimated that the full cost of building the reactor would be about €8.5 billion, well over the previous estimate of €6.4 billion.[2][3] Because of the delays, TVO and Areva are both seeking compensation from each other through the International Court of Arbitration. In October 2013, TVO's demand for compensation from Areva had risen to €1.8 billion, and Areva's from TVO to €2.6 billion.[41] In December 2013, Areva increased its demand to €2.7 billion.[42] As of November 2016, the case is still ongoing.[43]

According to some estimates, Olkiluoto reactor could be the fifth or sixth most expensive structure in the world,[citation needed] even more expensive than the Large Hadron Collider in Switzerland.

:finland:

Missionary Positron fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 1, 2017

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
I always like to post this article and chart when talking about coal job losses in the last 100 years or so-
http://weheartwv.com/2015/06/18/this-graph-shows-the-shocking-loss-of-coal-mining-jobs-in-west-virginia/

Check that period between 1948 and ~1980, that's nearly 90k jobs gone in a 40 year period. In the almost 40 years since, you're still seeing a downward trend, but it has stabilized some. Another data point to note is the little blurb at the bottom of the article, in that the loss in jobs isn't necessarily a reduction in demand (though that did happen)- it's loving automation, and the fact that oil is the biggest competitor coal has really ever had.
The fetish attraction of coal is that it's an industry with really deep pockets, and one of the few that has resisted a ton of globalization efforts. Most of your mine-heads and distribution points are still owned by the same families/conglomerates they were owned by back before the depression. There is a LOT of self-interest and a LOT of liquid assets just looking for a cozy pocket to snuggle up in.

related: Most coal communities are sited in such a way to be directly adjacent to, or on top of (See: Scranton) rich seams of coal. When the mine dries up, or the company shutters their offices, you don't get a waiver on your company-furnished mortgage, so you end up with stuff like this in a lot of the places that aren't quite so remote, but don't have an interstate exit a mile from downtown: https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...f7cf_story.html

Immanentized fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 1, 2017

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

The orange retard is speaking.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
How can the guy in command of the most powerful military bitch, without fail, about unfairness.

Jesus H. Christ, CLEAN COAL

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Yes, but isn't it comparatively small relative to other industries? I mean if this is the heading for the wiki article for coal mining in the US, the industry is in pretty bad shape: "By January 2016, more than 25% of coal production was in bankruptcy in the United States.[5] In 2015 four publicly-traded US coal companies filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, including Patriot Coal Corporation, Walter Energy, and the fourth-largest Alpha Natural Resources filed for bankruptcy protection. The second-largest producer Arch Coal and the largest producer Peabody Energy declared bankruptcy in 2016.[5][6][7] By March 2017, the coal industry employed approximately 77,000 miners. 60,000 jobs have been lost since 2011.[8]".

Why leech onto this tiny segment of the economy as being a fundamental part of 'MURICA? :psyduck:

Mr. Nice! posted:

There is no one actually working in the coal industry.

TBeats posted:

A lot of conservative American vote-gathering is about pissing off liberals, whose views are threatening and confusing. This includes coal, as Cole points out. A lot of conservatives understand coal matters to some people--even if not the voters in question, or their friends--and so it's lovely and useful to pander to that notion. It's the evil doppleganger to neoliberal/corporate knob-slobbering of social justice imagery. Gays are a minority; ethnic minorities are a minority; yet many liberal voters prefer the candidate who pays lip service to both regardless of what they actually have done or do in office.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

This is loving lunacy.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Well, on the upside, late night comedy hosts can spend the next week making fun of Trump once again being wrong about absolutely everything and understanding absolutely nothing, in the most recent case, the impact of temperature changes of fractures of a degree Celsius.

"WE'RE GONNA HAVE THE CLEANEST AIR, WE'RE GONNA HAVE THE CLEANEST WATER, WE'RE GONNA BE ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY, BUT WE'RE NOT GONNA SACRIFICE OUR JOBS"

:lol:

Who's in the audience? Jesus Christ

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

Zeris posted:

A lot of conservative American vote-gathering is about pissing off liberals, whose views are threatening and confusing. This includes coal, as Cole points out. A lot of conservatives understand coal matters to some people--even if not the voters in question, or their friends--and so it's lovely and useful to pander to that notion. It's the evil doppleganger to neoliberal/corporate knob-slobbering of social justice imagery. Gays are a minority; ethnic minorities are a minority; yet many liberal voters prefer the candidate who pays lip service to both regardless of what they actually have done or do in office.

That is really depressing. How do you go about fixing a national discourse that is so fundamentally polarized and broken? It's starting to make it's way here, too. It hasn't gotten that bad yet, but when our far right ~Finns~party lost in the municipal elections, their party chairman and current foreign minister of Finland, said that the foremost objective is to resist the "red greens" from ruining the country.

I've been following US politics since the late 90s or so, and it's really disheartening to see the signs of those same ideological fault lines start to appear here :smith:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

That is really depressing. How do you go about fixing a national discourse that is so fundamentally polarized and broken?

You don't fix it. You burn it down and start over.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Guys he thinks the world is bullying us :smith:

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Man, Donnie's tax bill is going great in Congress.

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/870367919636705280

Because there literally isn't one.

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/870368308520001536

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/870367998531567617

If there was any justice in this dead gay world, Paul Ryan would be pelted with dogshit 24/7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Donnie's best line is that he was elected to represent Pittsburgh, not Paris.

There's a problem with that.

https://twitter.com/DanEggenWPost/status/870368674657554432

I wonder what the mayor of Pittsburgh will say.

• Locked thread