Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
They have made some really stupid manifesto pledges on things like social care funding that haven't gone down well and generally giving Labour too much room to maneuver, engaging them in debate would seem to be a better course of action so pissheads like Diane Abbott can make herself look stupid and John McDonald can make himself seem like an aggressive arsehole with a major Marxist slant.

I wouldn't pay the recent polls an awful lot of credence thought, there are wildly differing numbers usually down to 'weighting' of votes depending on how likely the responding demographic is to actually turn out and vote. The bookies still have the Conservatives winning a majority as the odds on favorites and our polls have been completely off the mark for the last couple of national votes.

Personally I think you'll see very little change after the election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009

Missionary Positron posted:

As an outsider, it looks like the Tories have been owning themselves time after time ever since Cameron decided that a Brexit vote would be a fantastic idea.

This would have been true if there was any sort of proper opposition to the government, which there isn't. Corbin keeps fighting the wrong fight instead of actually holding the Government to account and most of the electorate has swallowed the 'we might be poo poo but the alternative is Corbyn' narrative.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009

ElMaligno posted:

i already thought the us military already donated heavily to Doctors without borders

Well how much does a 105mm round from an AC-130 cost? Because I think they donated a few of those to MSF/Doctors without borders a while back.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009

Hexyflexy posted:

Me and my mates here reckon it's the last of the idiots left over from the Manchester attack. Can't fault them for execution, now's the right time if you want to mess with Britain.

We aren't gonna let them do that though, we'll be fine. Goddamn, I am loving angry though.

My money is on local lads. The MO is different and the van looks like it was hired in London. I think we are going to see a lot of bollards getting put up all over the country now.

300m from my old nick. Nice to see a BTP officer try and split their heads in with a friction lock baton. It took 8 minutes to shoot them.

It's high time there was a travel ban on all Brits getting in to the US until we can figure out what the hell is going on.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
While the throat of the Police services in the rest of the UK have been cut, I can assure you that the MET isn't short of resources.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
He might have to watch the BBC then, seeing as out security services are probably going to keep quiet as your head of state has a big loving mouth.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
I don't think Corbyn is crazy, just idealized and unfit to run a cabinet. He's a decent bloke under some dumb ideas.

On the other hand John McDonald is crazy, smart and dangerous. Like a marxist Cheney.

I wouldn't trust the exit polls just yet though, they hosed up the last election pretty well.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009

MazelTovCocktail posted:

It appears everything for the next few years in Northern Ireland will be gold plated.

Well it keeps out Corbyn and a coalition that could possibly includes the Greens.

No one goes in to Coalition with a party with the Greens, they have one seat.

I'm loving sad Scotland won't get indyref2 now.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
Yeah, I really did not see the Scot swing coming. Angus Robertson got sacked as well and, although I have very different views, he seemed to be an excellent PSNP leader.

I really wanted indyref2 though, doesn't make sense for Scotland to remain part of the UK from the UK's point of view unless you are being Nationalistic about it.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i just don't get why may would possibly give up a majority by allowing a snap election?

england is fuckin weird

When she called it she was ahead in the polls by almost 20 points. Then she promised to do a bunch of dumb stuff that would have upset old people, who vote for her a lot usually and she didn't seem to fight the election with any vigour. poo poo backfired and now shes having to go in to a coalition with the Northern Irish version of the conservative party to try and form a government. Problem for her is that she will be left with a 2 MP majority (a few more when Sinn Fein don't take their seats) and Conservative backbenchers, of whom many are old and insane, love to rebel and cause embarrassing government defeats.

KildarX posted:

Britgoons please explain the Brit elections to me, because the last thing I heard about it was Theresa May doesn't want your kids to have school lunch and education, and the other guy loved terrorists, and the other parties are weirdos too.

Please put them on a scale of

<gently caress you got mine ------ GET THE GUILLOTINES!>
<Hate Gays ----- Love Gays>
<Dick in the middle east ----- dick out of the middle east>

So right to left:

UKIP, Conservatives, SNP, Labour - Lib Dem (it's a bit debatable which way round these go at the moment really), Greens

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
It's also worth mentioning that apart from genuine NAZI leaning UKIP Councillors or Tim Fallon (who is a devout bible basher) no one hates the gays. There used to be a joke that the only reason the Conservatives kept homosexuality illegal was so they could feel naughty as they hosed other men.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009

KildarX posted:

I kinda want to know how the prize winning southern colonel did in the election.

Well, he's a candidate from a well established political party https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Official_Monster_Raving_Loony_Party

It's a very expensive joke that has been running for decades, if you don't hit a threshold (1% or something) of the potential electorate in your given constituency then you lose your deposit (£500.)

They almost always lose it.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
'You mean there are different kinds of A-rab?'

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
FYI the prison system in the UK is absolutely hosed at the moment. From what I read it's really 3rd world levels of squalor, mental illness and violence.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38596034

Bernard McFacknutah fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jun 10, 2017

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
We spent a decade with the only 2 parties capable of Government more or less indistinguishable in their policies (unless you take your economics seriously.) Now the traditionally centre left party has moved a bit more to the left and made its-self less popular because of infighting and some bizarre leadership, all aided by a hostile press.

Then Cameron tries to appease the old fucks on his back bench (who would probably fit in the Republican party nicely) and to stop the cancer of UKIP eating his voting base by calling Brexit in a gamble. He loses the gamble, we give the finger to the EU and it has polarized the electorate so much that everything is now volatile and nothing can politically be taken for granted. His successor overestimate her advantage in the polls and calls an election in the hope of winning a larger majority and therefore a mandate for a hard Brexit (which is realistically the only one we can have and not have the current political order collapse) and she fucks it up, although not as badly as D&D would have you believe.

Now to form a government they need 10 more seats which they are getting from the DUP, an Ulster pro-union party who don't like gays. Also you aren't ever meant to be in a coalition with a NI party because it compromises the independence of their fragile and currently fractious political
system.

We will have another election before Brexit is done I think. May has cooked her Goose and I'm sure Labour will go back to squabbling soon as well.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
I thought this might be topical. I stopped off at a small Tesco yesterday to grab some Whisky for a lunchtime meeting and the store was on fire. People were casually walking past the flames and using the self serve tills while inhaling all that smoke.

I guess Londoners don't give a gently caress.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009

KildarX posted:

Any bets on if the Qatari's did follow through with all the demands and the US did shut the base how long it would take before the Qatari's where invaded by one of the demanding parties?

Depends on if Haliburton got the reconstruction gig.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
Post a proper Banme, the MODS will think you're joking otherwise.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
What's your life expectancy after retiring?

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
drat, I wish our Government had the spine to do that. I remember reading somewhere that the three countries in the world with the most UN rulings against them were Israel, Russia and...France.

Guess when the gloves come off the French don't gently caress about. Greenpeace found that out.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009

I seem to remember reading another article from the Daily Mail that was just loving ridiculous and made the SAS/SBS sound like a gang of supermen no-scoping people from 1000m and it just sounded like tosh. I'm sure the Government wouldn't think twice about killing a UK national under the right circumstances but I can't see them going out and deliberately hunting them. There were some serious legal challenges to the UK doing it in Afghanistan I think.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
There are secondary Airfields (probably as many as we have Fighter Aircraft) that are all over Southern England that can be made ready in a couple of days. I'm sure there would be a liberal smattering of nukes across everything South of Coventry and then every population centre above it, although good loving luck if you could tell the difference between Middlesborough pre and post Nuclear War.

A few years ago the Soviet plans for an invasion (1970's I think) of the UK were released and they had picked the coastline by Blackpool to land because everything south would have been Glowing.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

I live in london, i'm getting cleansed in the first wave of holy fire

You don't need a Nuke for that, Theresa May started cleansing the North London Estates with holy fire already.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009

Arc Light posted:

Did anyone watch Cast Away?

There was a part where Tom Hanks gets a cavity. In the absence of dental care, he knocks his own tooth out.

That's the kind of self medical care you could expect if you had to eke out an existence after nuclear war.

Sounds like the sort of healthcare you all can expect after the Koch brothers turbo gently caress the USA.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
Haha, he screwed over his own broker for 7 million when he hosed up a short.

What a way to run a hedge fund, shorting when you have no capital.....

Actually that whole article is hilarious, "he offered 100k for tips on the killing of DNC staffer Seth Rich"

At least he's built for prison.

Bernard McFacknutah fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 28, 2017

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
Linking from that article was this gem:

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/06/28/534697858/arkansas-ten-commandments-monument-lasted-less-than-24-hours

Some hero is driving around America smashing his car in to '10 Commandment' statues.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009

Zeris posted:

Let's start a GoFundMe and buy this guy some drones that carry jet fuel for a Sherman Memorial Tour across the south

I'm torn between thinking it's sad he can't get his mental health issues sorted and letting him loose to keep wrecking dumb evangelical poo poo like those menhirs. I mean, look how happy he is!

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
Merkel is trying to wind up Trump and assert herself at an international level again,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-40441143

I hope we see some more shoulder barging and cryptically threatening Tweets from your Head of State in the next few weeks.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
I'd say that apart from the UK and Poland, Merkel more or less has broad support across most of Europe, not withstanding some of the nutters in places like Hungary. How much she want's to rock the boat though, I'm not sure.

Probably the first tests for Merkel and Macron will be their own Governments disagreeing with the EU over Brexit terms and then the inevitable fallout when Turkey tears up the migrant deal when Erdogan doesn't feel like he's being treated like the Global Superpower that he is. Italian elections will also be interesting with a (non-Far Right) EU skeptic party leading in the polls.

Bernard McFacknutah fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jun 29, 2017

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
It looks like the EU as a body are, understandably, keen on having a harder line taken on the Brexit negotiations so the terms act as more of a deterrent to other future errant members than some of the National Governments are. I remember last year the German government having to tell the EU to tone down it's rhetoric.

I'm sure as long as there is free movement of people Merkel doesn't really give a poo poo about if EU expats in the UK have their rights overseen by the European Courts or ours as long as they have interrupted access to our markets.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that the National Governments seem to want Brexit just to happen ASAP now provided there is free movement of people and access to the mutual markets as opposed to the EU parliament who want to make a point.

Bernard McFacknutah fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jun 29, 2017

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
If I was a gambling man, I'd say the Tories pull the same poo poo they always do, free movement with a caveat about a cap or limit, they will stumble through the Negotiations and manage a settlement that absolutely no-one is happy with apart from UK banks and German car manufacturers. Labour will rightly kick off that it was a Brexit that no-one asked for and we will be back at square one. Theresa May has weakened her position so much that I just can't see her achieving any sort of Brexit other than some weird submission where nothing changes except we stop flying EU flags.

OR the other option is the Conservatives commit another act of Regicide as they have done so many times in the past and we go straight for a hard Brexit and then attempt to negotiate access from the outside.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009

Immanentized posted:

Sarah Huckabee Sanders in not what you would call photogenic.
She is the female version of Mike Huckabee's Large Sons.

I googled that and loving hell

Which one is the dog slayer?

Also that Sarah Huckabee Sanders is definitely ugly. Her face is asymmetrical, it looks like she's had a stroke and her jowls flap about like a scrotum.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009

TBeats posted:

I wonder if anyone like this guy can ever see the correlation between violence against a certain group of people and that certain group wanting revenge for it.

Brb dropping a bunch of bombs in the middle east and not thinking anything of it.

Never EVER allow the prospect of repercussions govern the decision to use violence. It's not the Freedom way.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Nah dude there's a big move in London at least to have more 20mph zones because of how much less likely you are to die. Energy of the impact is proportional to the square of speed so small changes in speed have big differences

http://gizmodo.com/how-likely-you-are-to-get-killed-by-a-car-depending-on-1778993900

Absolutely no one pays attention to those and drives at 30mph anyway. Even the Police just do 35 everywhere and when I was still serving I remember an email being sent out because part of my Borough was going to 20 and we were 'made aware' of the new limits and expressly told they weren't to be actively enforced.

All but one fatal accident that I saw that didn't involve vehicle on vehicle was vehicle on Bike anyway. Cars are designed now to spread the force of the impact and push the pedestrian over the top of the car and not under it.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
You aren't allowed to fit after market fender/bull bars in the UK unless you can prove it's for agricultural purposes, you also aren't allowed hood ornaments that protrude from the bonnet because people kept getting impaled and the bonnets are meant to be flexible enough to provide a little bit of cushioning for when you accidentally run over that rambler when you're two bottles of Malbec down and you're pottering back from the off-license with some Pinot Noir to really get the evening going.

Also something like a quarter of all vehicles in London are SUV's or full size off-roaders now. Range Rovers everywhere and even the peasants have Nissan Quashquai's (or whatever) and Honda Fucks.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Yeah there are lots of range rovers in the asian areas of toronto, and theyre loving heavy, like 3 tonnes or something arent they?

When they have got 4-5 passengers in they barely scrape under the 3500kg weight limit for a 'car' in the UK. The newer sportier ones are a lot lighter though, I've got the Jag 4x4 and even with the largest engine it's under 1800kg because it's all Aluminum now.

I've seen crashes where Range Rovers have absolutely wrecked normal saloons at relatively low speeds because their massive engine block is mostly above another vehicles crumple zone.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
Help yourself, I only bitched about the N4i one because I suggested nuking Israel and Pakistan and I ate a probation for racism.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

Maybe if you spoke English it wouldn't have been confused.

I guess I'll have to wait until the 4th of July to eat my traditional annual probation then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
Snow Mexicans.

The Trump needs to build a wall to stop you guys flooding the US with cheap lumber and poutine.

• Locked thread