Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
I don't know how to cope with a world where the Mariners have a winning record. :psyduck:

38-37 :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

BGrifter posted:

I don't know how to cope with a world where the Mariners have a winning record. :psyduck:

38-37 :stare:

Mariners 38-37, 12.5 games back of first, 1 game back of the wild card.

Cardinals 33-38, 5 games back of first, 12 games back of the wild card.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

You could go 2-5 with a home run and a single every game of an entire season and your OPS would still be lower than Barry Bonds' was in 2004, the season where he turned 40.

Although my favorite Barry Bonds fact ever is there has only been one pitcher in history who faced Bonds 6 or more times and didn't let him reach base. That pitcher, Geremi Gonzalez, died by being struck by lightning.

Batting .400 with 162 home runs would give you a lower ops than bonds ? That doesn't sound right to me but then again.... Barrold

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Do the Mariners have any chance of beating the Astros this series? I know their rotation is dead, but still...

edit: lol

https://twitter.com/BestFansStLouis/status/878290920462057472

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
That might be the winner.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

i demand abortion night

this is an outrage

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Tom Gorman posted:

i demand abortion night

this is an outrage

This, but unironically

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Tom Gorman posted:

i demand abortion night

this is an outrage

Citizens Bank Park has plenty of tickets available.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
Speaking of abortions the Red Sox just claimed Doug Fister

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

NiceGuy posted:

I'd love to see Fister shut down the Angels after they didn't put him on the MLB staff in favor of whatever the hell Parker Bridwell is, shiny ERA with dismal stats backing it up.

At least the Angels will miss a Chris Sale start this weekend.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

seiferguy posted:

Do the Mariners have any chance of beating the Astros this series? I know their rotation is dead, but still...

We've got the momentum of sweeping the Tigers and cresting .500, Felix is back and Miranda is pitching on Sunday.

I think we have a chance of taking the series, but there's also the chance that Astros will laugh and completely take the wind out of our sails.

...that's a lot of unintentional nautical metaphors.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

NiceGuy posted:

They just shuffled Kyle Kendrick off the forty man, so why not add another washed up starter to the roster as an emergency starter?

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Mariners 38-37, 12.5 games back of first, 1 game back of the wild card.

Cardinals 33-38, 5 games back of first, 12 games back of the wild card.

Really looking forward to almost the entire AL still contending for a wild card spot in September :getin:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
This kinda flew under the radar (there's not even a clip on MLB.com that I can find), but yesterday the Brewers' closer Corey Knebel broke the major league record for consecutive games with at least one strikeout: http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/...a707398589.html

It's kind of cool how many young Brewers are doing great poo poo on a regular basis. I don't think I've seen the Brewers consistently on those plays of the week shows like they've been this year.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/878329613197295616

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

No-one will want Granderson or Cabrera but Bruce and Reed should draw some interest. I wonder if Walker is on the block too or if they reckon they can get an extension done before the end of the season.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

seiferguy posted:

edit: lol

https://twitter.com/BestFansStLouis/status/878290920462057472

McCullers is back tomorrow night

The Astros are apparently after deGrom? Which lol fat loving chance

Intruder fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 23, 2017

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Mets should be looking for a starter and a CF in the offseason and hoping to contend next year, there's absolutely no way deGrom should be going anywhere.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Cubs should grab Granderson because I like him, ok thanks,

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I was going to say the Cubs could use Granderson :shrug:

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

:getin:

Let's do this!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Cue up the Bruce to Toronto rumours!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Julio Cruz posted:

Mets should be looking for a starter and a CF in the offseason and hoping to contend next year, there's absolutely no way deGrom should be going anywhere.

They should totally trade him to Houston! :v:

Marisnick/Martes/KTucker and a lottery ticket or two, who says no? (The Mets)

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/tigers/status/878356000734158848

:byewhore:

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Dayan Diaz sent down, Reymin Guduan up

I mean you're never not getting sent down after an outing like that really

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

I don't blame them, but I'm glad they left him to give up all those dingers to the Mariners.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

howe_sam posted:

They just shuffled Kyle Kendrick off the forty man, so why not add another washed up starter to the roster as an emergency starter?

I'll take KK back on the Phills

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Tim Tebow is 1000% going to be playing in Citi Field at least once this year.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Inspector_666 posted:

Hopefully September only.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

We broke him

Anyway, here's hoping the M's take at least one game from Houston to stay at .500. Felix hasn't been himself this year but the lineup is finally healthy and is very hot. I can't remember the last time this team had this much offensive power...2003? Every one of the starters yesterday had an OPS of at least .700.

It's like an oasis in the desert. I remember seasons where they struggled to have 6 guys over the Mendoza line.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

shirts and skins posted:

We broke him

Anyway, here's hoping the M's take at least one game from Houston to stay at .500. Felix hasn't been himself this year but the lineup is finally healthy and is very hot. I can't remember the last time this team had this much offensive power...2003? Every one of the starters yesterday had an OPS of at least .700.

It's like an oasis in the desert. I remember seasons where they struggled to have 6 guys over the Mendoza line.

Trust me, he was already broken.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I loved Curtis Granderson when he was a Yankee, so if he goes to Chicago or somewhere else he's set for a better fate

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

Batting .400 with 162 home runs would give you a lower ops than bonds ? That doesn't sound right to me but then again.... Barrold

In that specific scenario you're batting .400, never walking and slugging 1.000. So a 1.400 OPS. Bonds OPSed 1.422 in 2004.

Obviously he didn't go about getting there in that way, he walked 232 times which broke his own record by 34, and any other player's record by 52 (Babe Ruth). He was intentionally walked 120 times. That broke his own record by 52, and any other player's record by 75 (Willie McCovey). So add in a few HBP and Sac flies and Bonds managed to have 617 plate appearances but only 373 at bats, getting on base at .609.

On top of that while he only had the 4th best slugging season ever that's obviously still amazing, he slugged .812 for the season.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Inspector_666 posted:

decided to check up on ol' Timmy: .229/.322/.351

i don't know if that's actually better or worse than I was expecting

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
He's got a pretty solid OBP but that may be due to wild pitching in Single A.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I love the once a month or so I get some news update about Tebow's "natural ability" because he hit a home run or something and then I look and see he still sorta sucks in Single A ball.

Its going to be hilarious to see him in Queens in September.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

N:

https://twitter.com/McCulloughTimes/status/878389279667273730

V: :suicide:

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

:rip: Julio Urias

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Dutchy posted:

decided to check up on ol' Timmy: .229/.322/.351

i don't know if that's actually better or worse than I was expecting

Way better than I thought it would be, but I still want to see him go up against guys who can control their fastballs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

fairly sure that's one of the riskiest surgeries a pitcher can have

• Locked thread