Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I imagine the talk was at least partly to try and tamper down the evitable call for them to make a deadline deal for 3B. Selling Torres as the guy Headley's keeping the seat warm for might help temper calls to move him or other prospects for a temporary replacement. Over hyping his arrival date could just be a PR game.

Or they could be prospect drunk with the success they've had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

They're hoping to have him back for Spring Training.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I forgot who dropped the ultimate bunt but Jose Altuve just pulled off a sac bunt for a hit, stolen base, sac bunt to 3rd, suicide squeeze to beat me in walkoff fashion the other day in the Show. So I currently hate bunts and Jose Altuve.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

MrMojok posted:

My main joy in watching baseball for about 25 years, was watching pitchers. I know they have always been a whiny mass of phobias who live in mortal terror of the serious arm damage they're all going to inevitably get. I know it has always been the case that a lot of them are poo poo-stupid. These are things I just accepted about them.

But when did it become the case that bat flip/watch HR=bad, and DISRESPECTING THE GAME MISTER, but happy fistpumping stomp-walking off the mound while screaming for joy after a big strikeout was their inalienable right? Especially when strikeouts WAY outnumber home runs? And when the pitcher always has and always will enjoy a much larger degree of success than the hitter, in the duel?

Because at some point, they have collectively turned into a bunch of whiny twats. I got no more sympathy for blown elbow ligaments, line-drive fractured skulls, or anything that ever happens to them. gently caress every one of them forever. They are a disgrace and I wish TJ surgery didn't exist so every single one of them could spend the rest of their lives living in depression about not being to lift their arm high enough to comb their hair, before finally committing suicide.

As a fellow lifelong baseball fan and lover of pitching, who has spent his entire life listening to retired pitchers talk and watching current pitchers act I'm pretty sure its always been the case that pitchers are hypocritical self righteous assholes who think you should never watch a 450 ft home run to see if it leaves the stadium but think its totally ok to but a 95 MPH fastball under a batter's chin if he offends you.

But they probably got more sensitive when ESPN started putting the home runs in Top 10 highlight reels and absolutely intolerable when people started to just get phone updates of video of pitchers getting owned that they can watch over and over again.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I love the once a month or so I get some news update about Tebow's "natural ability" because he hit a home run or something and then I look and see he still sorta sucks in Single A ball.

Its going to be hilarious to see him in Queens in September.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Inspector_666 posted:

Aaron Judge is my Large Adult Son, but Ronald Torreyes is my Small Adult Son.

https://twitter.com/Yankees/status/878474519685607424

EDIT: Holy poo poo the Yankees DFA'd Carter, Austin is getting called up for the Saturday game.

I can think of no more fitting end to Chris Carter's Yankee career than him coming up in the bottom of the 10th with a runner on 3rd and 1 out, the announcers spending his entire AB talking about if he gets 2 strikes on him he's going to strike out swinging, him striking out swinging on a 1-2 count, the crowd booing him mercilessly, and then little Ronald Torreyes getting a walkoff hit 3 pitches later.

The human side of me feels bad for the guy but the baseball fan in me was so ready for this after that AB.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Oh, I think the 3 man bench is stupid and tonight was a good example of why with Girardi not being able to pinch run for Sanchez in the 10th and your backup C is suddenly also your backup 3B (and sorta/kinda your backup 1B, 2B, and SS).

But trading Austin for Carter doesn't really change that one way or another. If anything Austin's more versatile than Carter since he's played some OF and 3B. Which come to think of it, could be a problem if Girardi decides he has a backup 3B now.

But the Yankees should probably consider carrying an actual bench.

And no, DFAing Carter isn't necessarily the best roster move but I was ready for it after that AB. And he probably had turned the Yankee Stadium crowd against him tonight for the forseeable future. But really, they should carry a bench.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I watch games on the Fox Sports app and for me its some Jason Kipnis "dirty" ad for the MLB app. Its slowly driving my insane.

There's a Jose Altuve 5-hour energy commercial that's quickly joining it. I'm starting to recite the dialogue randomly as I try to fall asleep.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

PS3 16, too. I too am cheap and you can get lost of cheap used games playing old gen.

Music off. Commentary up just high enough to hear the praise when I'm doing well. Music playing on the side. Sometimes an actual baseball game on the computer or radio.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The commentary can get a little annoying when it's just the same stuff over and over. Or when they're going through a long routine that you have to wait to end if you want to hear something else (or try and race it). But I enjoy it for my immersion. Sucks me in a little more.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

He wore the ring of one team while repping another.

That poo poo should get your primaried.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

bump_fn posted:

Can you blame him for not having to stay and watch the white sox

You joke but the ejection was him basically just saying 1 word to the ump and he was gone. So Renteria really, really wanted to go home early.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I haven't understood the Yankee roster and lineups for weeks now and I've kind of given up trying.

I don't think Yankee fans hate Gardner but they definitely under appreciate him. He was never really hyped up as a prospect and was billed as one of a long line of OF fillins and he just kind of settled into a role as a starter. Yankee fans seemed like they spent a long time waiting for the bottom to fall out and when it never did they just got used to him and didn't think anything of it. Its weird. He's a bit of a fan favorite but in the way fans pull for the 4th OFer or utility guy.

And its Yankee fans who grew up under Steinbrennar so they want a superstar at every position.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Jesus. In the first inning Fowler falls into the stands chasing a foul ball and has to be carted off the field with a knee injury.

I'm heartbroken for the kid and hope its nothing serious... but also what the hell Yankee roster?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

How bad is that as a long term injury? Because getting called up and hurting yourself on your first defensive play before you get an AB is loving heartbreaking and I pray to God its not the end of his story.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well I can't imagine its good for an OFer.

drat. Just drat. That poo poo's hosed up.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

It's not like Joe Theisman bad, they don't like zoom in on his demolished knee, but from everyone's faces you can tell it's really bad.

Well those reactions had something to do with the whole "first day in the majors" aspect of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Girardi seems to be going with the "get your best bats the most ABs" theory of lineup crafting, hence Judge at 2nd. And Didi's hot. And the like half the lineup are rookies or bench players.

I'm not sure the Yankees have had the same lineup in back to back games in weeks.

• Locked thread