Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Grittybeard posted:

Huh, looking him up I'd completely forgotten that Kevin Brown was legitimately really damned good his last year he was with the Dodgers. He was even serviceable his first year with the Yankees.

In my memory he died somewhere around 2000/2001 and was never worth anything the rest of his career.

I covered games featuring a school that Brown was assisting at a few years ago. His son was playing, but wasn't considered a prospect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Bartolo Colon to the DL with the ol left side strain.

That may become a career ending injury.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

elentar posted:

Should've DL'ed him a couple weeks back. Awkward now that Bartolo bobblehead night is coming up on Friday.

Wisler will definitely be back to start in Saturday's doubleheader, other will be Lucas Sims or Sean Newcomb, though he'd need to get added to the 40-man.

I'm assuming that's some of the reason he's been kept active, to let him have bobblehead glory.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I feel like Dansby should be hitting seventh by now, give him a reward for improving and a few more opportunities to learn a pitcher instead of getting IBBed pretty frequently.

Snitker moved him up to second for a day or two when he got his average over .200 the first time and he started sucking again.

Dansby's fine where he is right now.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

elentar posted:

Sort of expecting Newcomb to get a baptism by fire, the knocks on him are makeup as well as command when the makeup slips. He'll be a good rotation arm, but whether he's a #2 or a #4/5 depends on if he can keep control of his poo poo.

He definitely should get every chance to do so though, not like there's too many other MLB-ready options, just loads more rookies. (At least till Medlen makes his way back up.)

I'll take what Newcomb did today any day.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

As a fellow lifelong baseball fan and lover of pitching, who has spent his entire life listening to retired pitchers talk and watching current pitchers act I'm pretty sure its always been the case that pitchers are hypocritical self righteous assholes who think you should never watch a 450 ft home run to see if it leaves the stadium but think its totally ok to but a 95 MPH fastball under a batter's chin if he offends you.

But they probably got more sensitive when ESPN started putting the home runs in Top 10 highlight reels and absolutely intolerable when people started to just get phone updates of video of pitchers getting owned that they can watch over and over again.

I've got an old book of sports quotes and Early Wynn said if these young whippersnappers of [whatever current time that was] showboated against him, he'd hit them with a pitch in the dugout.

Somebody else said that Freddie Fitzsimmons got him with a brushback pitch in the on deck circle.

And, of course, Juan Marichal, which built because Marichal was insulted by a base hit bunt.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Sean Newcomb is cool and good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

humpthewind posted:

Is bartolo injured or cooked? Could he pitch out of the bullpen

Cooked.

I wouldn't mind him out of the pen as I figure he couldn't be worse than Ian Krol.

• Locked thread