Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Pancakes posted:

Update: If the rotations hold (LOL Mets) then I should have pretty decent tickets to a Scherzer/deGrom matchup. Hopefully that holds and I get to see an awesome game.

My biggest baseball regret this year is that Weaver washed out before the Braves came to California to play the Padres. My roommate and I planned to hold out for a Dickey/Weaver matchup and go see the greatest pitching duel of our time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Inspector_666 posted:

Dex will be getting his ring today:

https://twitter.com/Cubs/status/870688683996860416

I love the sign in the last photo.

:unsmith:

He's gonna hit a lead-off homer, and I won't even be mad.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Edinson Volquez has been doing a thing for eight innings now.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

IcePhoenix posted:

Pujols just got #600 on a grand slam

Which also means that's grand slam #6 on the day, tying the all time record. :toot:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
In the same day we had six grand slams and a no-hitter. Talk about running the gambit of extremes.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

seiferguy posted:

Did you account for the one Mike Zunino just hit?

Nope, new record! :woop:

A good day of baseball.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Your Taint posted:

It'll never happen, but Bryce Harper has interest in signing with the Cubs when he hits FA.

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/bryce-harper-reportedly-eye-cubs-fit-budget-015708784.html

Not getting my hopes up, but that lineup.... :circlefap:

A guy can dream

You'd have to get Heyward off the books for this to realistically happen, both because he's position blocking Harper and because his contract is huge and even if Harper really does want to go to the Cubs, he's a Boras client and would still require a $400-500m contract. Hell, you might even have to dump Lester, too. Even if you did that, you'd have 2-3 years of of the current core + Harper, and then everybody hits FA and the Cubs would only have the budget to sign Bryant + maybe one other guy of the Hendricks/Javy/Russell/Schwarber/Contreras youth core. There'd also be no money for free agent pitching, which means both the rotation and the pen would have to be anchored by prospects, and that's after the Cubs invariably have send some guys away in order to salary dump Lester/Heyward.

Don't get me wrong, Harper and Bryant on the Cubs is a stupidly fantastic dream, but with the new CBA's luxury tax shenanigans, I just don't think it's financially feasible.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Niwrad posted:

I think it's a pipedream but the Cubs should have a big local TV contract coming due when Harper hits free agency. Also Heyward has a no-trade clause up till 2020. Cubs also have a really good RF in the pipeline.

Feels like the money would be better spent on a starter.

The problem is less the money itself and more the new CBA. The luxury tax limit now acts as a soft salary cap, both because the luxury tax is extremely punishing, and because exceeded that threshold by $40m or more automatically results in your top draft pick being bumped down 10 spots. There's just not enough salary room to carry Harper + the rest of the core team. Even if all the pieces align, you're essentially getting a three year window of a super team before everybody hits free agency.

Julio Cruz posted:

Financially it's possible but Harper is going to want at least 35MM so they'd need to have a lot of payroll space going into 2019. That means not spending top dollar on FAs in 2018 or, at the very least, giving them 1-year opt-outs.

Pretty much. It's cool to dream, but imo it's almost certainly a pipedream.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Timby posted:

Am I reading the Cards / Cubs box score correctly? Hendricks threw 121 pitches in four innings? :stare:

He threw 82, 43 of which were in the 4th alone.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Some Numbers posted:

What's the Ryan Braun story?

He's a cheating fraud gently caress who stole the MVP from Matt Kemp by shoving needles up his rear end, then wiggled out of it because of a dumb technicality around the delivery of his urine sample. He's also a huge rear end in a top hat who does cool things like openly make fun of a mentally handicapped bat girl while the camera is on him in the dugout.

Basically gently caress Ryan Braun.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

cis autodrag posted:

whoah, i didn't hear about this one. link? either way what a loving dick. i can tolerate drug use if it makes my team better cuz that's his body and his choice, but absolutely gently caress anyone who mistreats the disabled or fucks with someone's job to get out of trouble.

Of course now that I'm looking for it I can't find it. I swear I remember us remarking on it in a GDT last year but I can't find a video or even an article and you'd think that would have raised something of a fuss. Maybe I'm misremembering the situation/player. :shrug:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

This is me unironically, when that player hurt himself doing something stupid. Like falling off a dirtbike.

I think what will forever stick out most in my mind about the whole incident was the Dodgers/Giants game a few days later where you could clearly hear a Giants fan yell "It should have been you on that dirtbike, Kershaw!" into the field mic.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

seiferguy posted:

This is probably gonna be a bleak draft year all around.

The expected #1 overall is a HS RHP. :lol:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

IcePhoenix posted:

I don't think the Twins are taking him

I keep seeing contradictory articles saying they will and will not take him, sports media seems to change its mind on it every other day. Either way that a HS RHP is thought of that highly in the draft, even if his is very good (which by all accounts he is. Also apparently a good SS) doesn't speak highly for the makeup of the rest of the draft class.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

It's better to burn out than fade away.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
If you're not reading the GDT, you missed absolute peak Matheney.

DurosKlav posted:

Reds had runner on first and third and 1 out I believe. Ball was hit into foul territory and Piscotty caught it up against the wall in foul territory which allowed the runner at third to tag up and score. But it turned out he more or less trapped it against the wall. So Matheny challenged the out call, it was overturned and ruled a foul ball so runner had to return to third. Wainwright then walks the batter to load the bases up and Scooter comes up and hits a grand slam.

Matheny is pure garbage.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

You'd think after the whole Adam Jones debacle last month that a Red Sox announcer of all people would steer clear of expressing incredibly lovely, racist opinions on air.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

IcePhoenix posted:

This is incredible and I don't care that it's huge, I want people to watch it

Even more proof that NY is hilariously incompetent, like :lol: how does that call stand?

That was legit the worst route on a ball I've seen an OF take all season, though. I think Nunez would have made a better play on that.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

New Concept Hole posted:

The 1980 Lakers could probably beat this Giants team

This is rapidly turning into xkcd's Sweet 16 bracket.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
:toxx: If the domestic violence allegations about Russell turn out to be true and the Cubs don't immediately get rid of him in response, I will take applications for a new team to root for.

I'm not rooting for another wife beater. I'd rather root for Ryan loving Braun.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Tony Phillips posted:

Has any team ever immediately released a player in a situation like this? Or, if/when a player has admitted it?

The Mariners suspended Julio Mateo and then optioned him to AAA when he was charged with domestic assault, but that's the closest I can remember. He never pitched in the majors again, but he wasn't exactly released either.

The closest I can think of is Colorado and Reyes. They didn't release him immediately, but they did very quickly start looking for trade partners and, when they couldn't find any, got rid of him even though they had to eat his $30m+ contract. I guess I should amend to say they should at least immediately start putting the wheels in motion to dump him.

John Wilkes Booth posted:

root for the south siders :unsmigghh:

I'd actually probably be okay with this since the current iteration of the ChiSox looks young and fun, except for the fact that my immediate family would probably disown me on the spot. :v:

Hopefully at least the abuse part of the allegations turn out to be not true.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Obviously every team has it's shitters, it's just hard in general to assemble a group of 25 people who are all shining beacons of human virtue. I can put up with lovely people, see Exhibit A John Lackey. I can for the most part disassociate players on the field from who they are personally, but for me domestic abuse crosses a line where I can no longer do that.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Inspector_666 posted:

The difference is if the Astros lose a game or even just aren't leading in the 3rd inning, Intruder isn't posting repeatedly about how the team is poo poo and everything is poo poo and oh no woe be upon him.

Look we have a bit, okay? :v:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kirios posted:

We may be forced to trade for a starter...

That's not a great position to be in.

You and every team looking to contend this year. Like off the top of my head the Yankees, Red Sox, Indians, Twins, Brewers and Cubs would all need rotation upgrades to make a viable post season run.

There's going to be a lot of demand for pitching and not a whole lot of quality pitchers to be dealt come the deadline, barring the Cards deciding to blow it up and deal their rotation.

Your Taint posted:

For a while Russell seemed like a steal of a trade. Now if they dump him it'll probably just be a release because I don't know who would be willing to take the pr hit of trading for him.

FWIW he's denied it, although I'm not sure anybody expected a different response. For now all we can do is wait and see how it plays out; my fingers are still crossed that at least the abuse allegations aren't true.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

beejay posted:

Kyle Hendricks to the 10 day DL with right hand tendinitis. That's not good.

It's not, but OTOH it might explain why after seemingly getting back on track he's been falling apart in the 4th-5th innings of his previous couple starts. Hopefully he comes back looking better.

cis autodrag posted:

The Brewers going for it this year would not mesh with what we've seen of Actual Boy Genius David Stearns's style so far and if they did do that I'd argue he should be fired immediately.

Just because you're ahead of schedule doesn't mean you don't pounce on a window if it's opening. If the Brewers are still in first place in the division at the deadline, why not go all in?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Your Taint posted:

I believe in "innocent until proven guilty" in both a court of law and the court of public opinion, but allegations like this usually have some merit. I don't want it to be true. If his marriage is in trouble that's one thing. It's another entirely if he got physically abusive.

:agreed: It's clear something is going on between him and his wife, but the only allegations of abuse came from a third party - not Melisa herself - and the post was later deleted. That doesn't mean it's not true, but it does put it up in the air. If Addy was cheating on his wife that certainly makes me think less of him, but it's not the tipping point that physical abuse is to me.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Intruder posted:

Carlos Beltran and Francis Martes for Kyle Schwarber :colbert:

I know he's a top prospect but :lol: why are the Astros calling up a guy spotting a 5.29 ERA in AAA?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Ah, didn't realize things were that bad. At least you have a comfortable division lead.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Abel Wingnut posted:

cards might be firing matheny. they're hosting a conference to announce 'coaching changes'.

Didn't they just extend him this offseason?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Pancakes posted:

6'7" and in that good of shape is pretty rare. I knew a lot of guys at or around 6'7" from my Ultimate Frisbee days but none of them were built like that.

I don't even want to think about how many calories Judge has to take in on a daily basis to maintain that physique at that height.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Intruder posted:

Literally the only member of the rotation who isn't on the DL is Mike Fiers holy gently caress

e: Oh wait Musgrove is back

I legitimately wish the entire Cubs starting rotation was on the DL because a cobbled together AA/AAA rotation could not possibly be any worse and at least then we'd have an excuse for our starters being hot garbage.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Ammat The Ankh posted:

White Sox snag the best name in the draft

Uh excuse me Bubba Thompson has not been drafted yet. :colbert:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
N:
https://twitter.com/SBNation/status/874790824252391424

V: :lol:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Inspector_666 posted:

Yeah, the swing is violent as hell, but his stance is so upright and it looks like he has no stride whatsoever. I just don't understand how he hits the ball so hard with seemingly no momentum.

I assume it's the explosive hip rotation?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

True, Bellinger can play defense

He's also batting comfortably above the Mendoza line despite being mostly a TTO player.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Niwrad posted:

Is there a reason why he hasn't been converted back to a starter? Just too late in his career?

He's good enough out of the pen that there's zero advantage to trying to convert him back into a starter.

e. Also between his age and the inevitable downtick in velocity that comes from starting it would almost certainly hamper his pitches. There's a world of difference between a mid-90's FB and a low-90's slider vs a low-90's FB and a mid-80's slider. Just ask Arrieta/Lackey/Lester to a lesser extent.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

alpha_destroy posted:

The NL currently has 5 teams above .500. Right now every team in the NL with a record above .500 is holding on to a playoff spot.

The NL is pretty garbage this year overall. The NL WBest has three teams vying for the best in baseball and two teams vying for worst in baseball, the NL Centeral is hyper competitive not because everybody is good, but because everybody is dogshit and playing at or around .500, which means nobody is grabbing a WC spot and the only hope of getting to the playoffs in the Central is to win the division. Meanwhile the NL East is more or less already decided and it might actually be in the Mets' best interest to just not show up to their remaining games if only to spare more inevitable injuries in a season they're not going win anyway.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

ihatepants posted:

Gleyber Torres slid into home plate and the Buffalo catcher crashed down on his extended arm and was taken out of the game. Torres claims to have heard a popping sound in his wrist. So it looks like the Yankees are going to be stuck with Chase Headley at 3rd all year.

And thus the Yankee's bizarre insistence on rushing a 20 year old through the minors to occupy a spot that is not his natural position, despite both him and his AAA manager claiming he's not ready yet, comes to a close. Probably, anyway.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Inspector_666 posted:

What? This happened in AAA. He was sliding into home.

I know, I was talking about the reported plan for the Yankees to have him playing 3B in the Majors by the ASB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Inspector_666 posted:

Oh, I thought you were insinuating that the injury was the result of said rushing.

No, I was insinuating that the injury will prevent said rushing. :v:

In retrospect it wasn't phrased that well.

• Locked thread