Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bewbies posted:

Who'd be the Homer at the Bat lineup today? Big stars who would stoop to doing guest work on a low rent animated show on an otherwise terrible new TV network?

Posey (he might not actually do it...if not him then Salvy)
Rizzo
Altuve
Crawford
Donaldson
Mookie
Harper (does the Canseco thing and demands the episode be rewritten so he's more alpha)
Bryant
Kershaw

...I feel like that lineup beats the original

Have to have a Yankee or Met who can go to jail for all the unsolved murders in NY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Watch George Springer murder two baseballs

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/11493214/v1448771683/?affiliateId=clubMEGAMENU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

A friend of mine was at the 18 inning Astros/Braves NLDS marathon. He said by the 15th inning the staff was carrying around huge trashbags full of popcorn to scoop out for people because the concessions had been closed for like an hour and a half

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Pirates fans what do you think it would take to pry Tony Watson away

The Astros most glaring hole right now is probably left handed relief. Probably could use a better #3 starter too unless Peacock has really turned the corner (apparently he was giving away signs when he struggled prior to 2015?)

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

What the heck happened to Dyson anyway

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

euphronius posted:

They have to be the worst run major market team in the modern era.

Not even top two in their division

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bewbies posted:

The Royals from about 1995 through 2012 set a standard for terrible management that will likely never be surpassed.

The Cubs Cubsed themselves out of a really good lineup and three aces

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Rule V thing was unbelievable

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Derreck Lee for Hee Seop Choi lol

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Speaking of painful trades, Freddy Garcia and Jose Guillen for 3 months of utterly dominant Randy Johnson BUT no playoff wins and he left immediately :negative:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Timby posted:

Wouldn't that have been Carlos Guillen?

Yeah you're right I mixed up my Guillens

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Thom P. Tiers posted:

lmao i totally forgot about 1998 playoff randy johnson, i'm so glad he got a ring.

Without looking it up iirc he got zero runs in support in his two starts. gently caress Kevin Brown

e: I was wrong he had one run each game

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Even now I fear playing the Rangers in Arlington. Let's see how this goes

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

What a time to be an Astros fan

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Berzerker posted:

N: Pringles is launching ketchup chips so Brett Lawrie is hosting an event in downtown Toronto in which a bunch of Canadians are going down a slip n slide covered in ketchup to set a world record.

V:

Finally some competition for the urinal trough slip n slide

fast cars loose anus posted:

The last time the Astros were remotely close to this good, I was in a phase where I didn't pay attention to sports at all so this is new and fun for me.

The Astros have never been this good, not even in 98 (e: pre-Randy trade)

e2: For shits and giggles just looked at the 98 team and welp nevermind the 98 team was better lol

Three 6+ WAR position players, one 5+, Randy Johnson had a 4.3 WAR in 11 loving games

Intruder fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 3, 2017

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Poque posted:

the radio call of this is amazing, btw

http://m.mlb.com/video/v1454192483/must-c-classic-sano-starts-543-triple-play

Imagine being so loving ice cold that you can make a "should be three" call.

The final part of the video is like listening to Fargo

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Pancakes posted:

I ragequit after the Schwarber slam. Judging by the box score I didn't miss anything that would have improved my day.
________/

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I'm sick as a dog and been sleeping all day but its certainly pleasant to wake up to a sweep of the Rangers

6 IP 9K for Peacock

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Astros are much better than they were in 2015, the Rangers much worse, and it took an unreal collapse for the Rangers to snag the division

Send Darvish to Houston thnx, Texans supporting Texans

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Sample size caveat and all, but Springer's last three series (9 games, basically everything since I talked about how he was slumping and disappointing)

22/42, 7 HR, slash of .524/.533/.976

Sorry to doubt you bud

Certainly helps explain the 10 game win streak, especially with how Correa is raking as well

Intruder fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jun 5, 2017

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Dang good for him

The Astros have a chance to straight up bury the division this month. Remaining games:
4 @ Royals
3 Angels
3 Rangers
3 Red Sox
4 @ A's
3 @ Mariners
3 A's
a 3 game series against the Yankees starts on the 30th.

Red Sox and Yankees are the only clubs over .500 in that stretch and there are a lot of games vs the division.

They're 4 games off the 2001 Mariners pace

Get it done Stros!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

seiferguy posted:

The AL outside of the Astros are real bad this year. Oakland is the worst team in the AL and is only 5.5 games behind in the wild card.

This means the Mariners, despite going to hell and putting up starters from AAA and waiver wires still have a chance to be in the playoffs.

I think we can call the NL East and AL West a wash and go from there, at which point they look pretty similar

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Unless Morton blows everyone away when he's off the DL, I'd pencil McHugh as the 4th starter behind Keuchel, McCullers, and (trade deadline pitcher) after the All-Star break.

I don't know Peacock looks absolutely filthy and could be a legit #3 starter

I could see the rotation being Keuchel/McCullers/Peacock/McHugh/Musgrove or maybe swap Musgrove out for Paulino

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Hot take: I hope Mike Trout retires without a ring

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Kirios posted:

Perhaps I could interest you in a....Gerrit Cole, Intruder?

Would only take 1x Francis Martes, 1x Derek Fisher, and 1x Franklin Perez.

Who says no?

The Pirates

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Honestly I think Fisher has played his way onto the big league club. I'd like to DFA Aoki (sorry guys) and call him up, but doesn't seem to be in the cards

If Fisher falls on his face in the majors you still have Marwin and Jake who can play the third outfield spot

Aoki has almost no value. He's giving you a 77 OPS+ from left field

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

iospace posted:

At least he's on the DL, so it leaves a roster spot open for someone else.

Between him and Prince Fielder, they helped shepherd in the Brewers in the late 00's as a pretty good team that made it to the NLCS one year (losing to the Cards). Signed a huge deal with the Crew, won MVP, proceeded to get busted for PEDs.

And then Aaron Rodgers bet to give a fan his salary if Braun had actually taken PEDs, so sure was he that it wasn't true

No word on how that went

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Remember when we Astros fans were telling everyone Hunter Pence is so much better and cooler and more handsome than Ryan Braun and kept getting shot down? :colbert:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Timby posted:

Braun got popped in 2011 for elevated levels of testosterone. In February 2012, he challenged the test on a chain of custody issue (the guy who took the sample, instead of immediately shipping it to the testing facility, kept it in a refrigerator in his basement over the weekend before taking it to FedEx), and actually suggested that the sample-taker was an anti-Semite. Ultimately arbitrator Shyam Das upheld Braun's challenge, saying there was enough validity to the appeal that his suspension was to be overturned. MLB was absolutely livid about it, and actually fired Das over the decision.

Anyway, Braun held a press conference after his appeal was upheld, and had the balls to say this:

A year later, his name popped up in connection with Biogenesis, and he wound up being suspended for the last third of the 2013 season plus the playoffs.

Wasn't there also something about how the cup had a crack or the bag had a tear or something and he put it in a second bag?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Kirios posted:

Three top 100's and 3 of the top 6 prospects, including the #1 for the Astros wouldn't be enough?

No way in hell I'd want Quintana for that. Maybe someone like Daz Cameron would be added as a high risk / reward prospect

Regardless, Martes is doing.... not well, this season so far

I'm thinking it would cost something like Paulino/Fisher/Tucker and then a B prospect or two

Maybe sub Tucker out for Whitley

e: lol if you think Daz moves the needle on any trade at this point as well

Intruder fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jun 5, 2017

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Prince and CC were the greatest Brewers by the strictest definition of the word

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Pussy Boss posted:

Lol at that player for getting injured. What a loving loser ahahaha.

When that player is Ryan Braun, I am at peace with this

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Astros are good and likable unlike Ryan Braun who qualifies for only one of those

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Saw a stat somewhere that only one team in history has started with 41 wins in its first 57 games and won less than 102 games

christianbale-kermit.gif

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The deceased SAS wiki had an entire page dedicated to hilarious sports injuries so it's weird to see people get up in arms now

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

*browses 2nd and 3rd round draft prospects*

Haha just kidding I'll probably definitely have never heard of whoever they draft with those picks

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Please never lose again Astros

Finish 146-16 (and win 11 more games after that)

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

seiferguy posted:

I wish someone would Nancy Kerrigan the Astros, goddamn

You've had your day

(as a Seahawks fan)

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

seiferguy posted:

I'm a bigger baseball fan than football fan, thohgh. The Mariners haven't been to the playoffs since 2001. I'm tired of the team being the joke of the city, and the Seahawks success made that worse. It just felt that the one season we may have had a chance got ruined by injury and the Astros getting bit by a radioactive spider.

Good news! The joke of the city is now in OKC ;)

YeahTubaMike posted:

Speaking as someone who couldn't give a poo poo less about the AL West in general, I think it's fun watching the Astros dominate.

I wish Dallas Keuchel's beard were round instead of pointy though. That bugs me.

edit: wtf, I thought they were in the AL Central, shows what I know :saddowns:

Dallas's beard is perfect much like Dallas himself :colbert:

Here's a crazy stat for you

Oowwwwwwwwwwwwwwns

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Pancakes posted:

Both of the perfect games I've thrown in MLB the Show 17 have been with Keuchel. Checks out.

I've literally gone through my last like four iterations of The Show without ever once playing anything but RttS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

One of my favorite Ichiro moments was when he was chatting with... don't remember who, then realized the player was mic'd up and quickly got away from him because he liked to pretend he couldn't speak english to avoid interviews

• Locked thread