Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

iospace posted:

Which central division is a bigger dumpster fire, AL or NL?

The correct answer is the NL East.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Paul Zuvella posted:

You heard it here first folks, Yankees are gonna overpay to rent Yu Darvish.

I don't see it happening. They may overpay for a guy with 1-2 years left on their deal, but I do trust that they won't overpay for a rental right now.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

iospace posted:

In two months, when that happens, what will you do?

Probably get mad about who we traded away. But then be happy when we win number 28 :unsmigghh:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Grittybeard posted:

Speaking as a fan of a team that wants to rip you off for rentals what do the Yankees need?

Pitching with at least a year left on the contract. Unless Tanaka turns it around and the Yankees look like they can really beat the Astros, I don't see the FO moving away from their "We're not selling the farm for rentals" stance.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

My favorite part is how Yandy Diaz is in the top 20 for average exit velocity, but has an average launch angle of -1.0 degrees.

Have you seen Yandy Diaz?

If he can start hitting the ball in the air he's gonna be a beast.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

tadashi posted:

Yeah, but he's got to learn to hit the ball in the air?

Yeah but the Fly Ball Revolution is upon us! ALL BALLS IN THE AIR! RYAN SCHIMPF FOR GOD KING.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

euphronius posted:

They have to be the worst run major market team in the modern era.

Do you mean just in the MLB, because the Knicks have a claim here if you're talking about all sports.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

euphronius posted:

I meant baseball only sorry .

It's a lot easier to gently caress up teams in the other sports . Baseball is different. A large market team should never be bad for more than 1-2 years imho.

Even given their recent "success" I would put the Mets up there as well, I've never seen a team slam their window closed on their own dick so thoroughly before.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Dex will be getting his ring today:

https://twitter.com/Cubs/status/870688683996860416

I love the sign in the last photo.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

euphronius posted:

I'm excited about the Yankees and may be a Yankees fan.

This is a right and proper opinion.

As if everything else wasn't fun enough, Judge is tied with Gardner for stolen bases now.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Hey I don't think this was answered in the previous thread: Did anybody buy Smart Baseball by Keith Law?

And if so, is it worth buying if you already know advance stats and whatnot?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
https://twitter.com/Brewers/status/871744403823616001

This was the PTBNL that completes the Thornburg/Shaw trade.

Tyler Thornburg: On the 60-day DL with what the Sox think is a nerve issue in his shoulder.
Red Sox 3B have combined for 54 wRC+ and -0.6 WAR so far this season.

Travis Shaw has a 123 wRC+ and 1.3 WAR.

:gary:

EDIT: Oh and the Brewers also got Mauricio Dubon, IF who is hitting .294/.346/.383 with 25 steals in AA.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jun 5, 2017

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Intruder posted:

They're 4 games off the 2001 Mariners pace

Get it done Stros!

Yankees eliminating them in the ALCS would be cool, I suppose.

seiferguy posted:

The AL outside of the Astros are real bad this year. Oakland is the worst team in the AL and is only 5.5 games behind in the wild card.

This means the Mariners, despite going to hell and putting up starters from AAA and waiver wires still have a chance to be in the playoffs.

I think the NL is worse. Close spreads mean the league is more competitive, not less.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

iospace posted:

Shaw has definitely paid off.

All told, we're doing better than most expectations this year (which simply were "better than last year"), but I think a lot of fans are waiting for them to fall off big time.

Oh well, none of us are expecting playoffs anyway.

I was telling Ice Fist about this and realized that Milwaukee actually has the lowest overall payroll in the MLB. They're looking pretty impressive as an overall organization right now.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Poque posted:

counterpoint: gently caress the Brewers

Your avatar works too well with posts like this.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Joey Freshwater posted:

Also

https://twitter.com/AdamMcCalvy/status/842500432031186944

:jerkbag: sorry for wasting your time, guy who makes like 19 million a year

Honestly I am kind of into this. Get to the meaningful games!

(Unless you're Greg Bird or Masahiro Tanaka, then stay in Spring Training forever.)

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Grittybeard posted:

I almost started a franchise the other day but before even getting to the point of doing anything with it I was like nope, gotta go hit dingers with my ridiculously overpowered RttS guy.

I actually really enjoy the drill stuff in RttS, does that make me a psychopath?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Waffles Inc. posted:

remy knows they play a gently caress ton of baseball in non-english speaking countries right

Also, 90% of pitching-related terms are just loan words to other languages anyway.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

tadashi posted:

And I'm guessing no team actually believes this should be a requirement. Who wants to take risks that something is being lost in translation?

It's ridiculous, especially given Tanaka's struggles this season.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Hotdog In A Hallway posted:

Cleveland has a guy on their Dominican Summer League team named Makesiondon Kelkboom

He's Jurickson Profar's cousin, I heard.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Did it hit that catwalk? Burn down the Trop, jfc.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Went to the Yankees game tonight, my friend's girlfriend gets really good seats in the 200 through work. After some shittalking of Chris Carter, I'm sitting there telling my friend about how Ice Fist is coming to town for the Brewers series. Guy in the row in front of me who was ribbing Carter with me asks if I already got tickets, so I tell him no, I was just gonna get them seek of on StubHub.

Dude offers to just sell me his season tickets for the seats he's in, face value. Then gives me his e-mail and says with a week's notice he's willing to sell 'em whenever.

So I think I've got "a guy" now? Either way, it was cool.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ihatepants posted:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/umpires-are-having-some-trouble-with-aaron-judge/

Imagine how much better he would be with a regular strike zone.

He's already make strides in the K% and pitch recognition departments (which is unsurprising), I think adjusting to the low zone calls is going to be his next big project for this season.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Poque posted:

I look forward to the Astros winning 120 games and then losing to the Yankees in 5 in the ALCS.

Some Numbers posted:

I don't, because that would mean the Yankees are going to the WS.

Again.

Learn to love it :getin:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

It's fun seeing Astros fans being treated like Cubs fans were last year. :munch:

The difference is if the Astros lose a game or even just aren't leading in the 3rd inning, Intruder isn't posting repeatedly about how the team is poo poo and everything is poo poo and oh no woe be upon him.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sydin posted:

You and every team looking to contend this year. Like off the top of my head the Yankees, Red Sox, Indians, Twins, Brewers and Cubs would all need rotation upgrades to make a viable post season run.

Maybe Tanaka remembers how to throw a breaking pitch though. If that happens and we're seeing the real Severino and Pineda, I think the stand pat on the rotation.

They should go for a lefty for the bullpen, but that's a concern regardless of the playoff situation, honestly.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Hot take: Lance Lynn is better than all three of those pitchers, and will probably be available. Although only a ~2 month rental, while the guys you mention would be longer term trades.

I would take Archer over the rest. Lynn and Gray have injury concerns, and Quintana is just sucking.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Hey do you guys want to hear a secret?

Gary Sanchez is cool and good. :ssh:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

shadok posted:

In an undisclosed location somewhere in Toronto, Kevin Pillar puts an X through Kiermaier's photograph, drops it in a trash can next to Trout's picture, and picks up a file on his desk labelled PROJECT 2017 GOLDEN GLOVE - GEORGE SPRINGER.

Aaron Judge will stop his nefarious plan.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
What's the parking situation like at Angel Stadium? I'm flying out to my company's CA office and I'm gonna get to a game since the Yankees will be in town, but I'm not sure if I should drive up there myself from Irvine or what.

Joey Freshwater posted:

I'm juuuuuuust a bit too old. Turned 34 on Monday. Then on Wednesday tore my calf muscle playing kickball. Currently waiting for an MRI to see how bad the damage is.

Go see a Mets doctor and they'll have you back on the field tomorrow!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Der Meister posted:

A lot depends on traffic but it has a huge parking lot near the freeway. Irvine is close by. I would drive myself if I were you.

Alright. I was mainly worried about getting charged an arm and a leg for the parking, but given the traffic situation in CA I guess taking a Lyft or something could end up costing me more.

Maybe I'll just make my brother drive, although that would be mean since he's gonna be driving over from right near Dodger Stadium.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Didn't get to catch the game tonight but I see the Mets walked Danny Santana to get to Dansby, who then doubles two runs home? I know he's still not hitting well on paper but... that's a weird move?

It was apparently a total hustle double, too.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ihatepants posted:

Think they are gonna sit him when Ellsbury is healthy again? He's currently got the 4th highest wRC+ in baseball (170)

Girardi said that Hicks is gonna play even when Ellsbury is back. Resting him and Gardy is a good thing anyway.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Abel Wingnut posted:

forgot to qualify that--i meant after the deadball era.

is there somewhere i can query this? i'm a db guy but have no idea where to find a db of such things

I assume the BB-Ref play index can do it, that's the go to for this type of thing.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
On an inside pitch.

https://twitter.com/BryanHoch/status/873684017723441154

That's also his 19th of the season.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Tom Gorman posted:

the size of Judge's silhouette compared to the arc measurement makes me think he's about 30ft tall.

That's....that's not true. Is it?

That's not off by much...

https://twitter.com/sung_minkim/status/873691079501004800

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
He won't stop. He can't stop.

https://twitter.com/BryanHoch/status/873988834811359234

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Der Meister posted:

What is this feeling.....is it enjoyment of Yankees based ball...?!

One of us! One of us!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
He uh, hit another one later in the game. Good God.

Also LOOK AT THIS SHIRT.

https://twitter.com/YESNetwork/status/874014846773100545

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jun 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Some Numbers posted:

Wait, 5-5 with 3 HR? Gross.

No, only 4-4 with 2HR, double and a single. The 495 footer was his first of the game.

• Locked thread