Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

SweetJahasus posted:

Christmas Abbott, ugh.

She's from my hometown and is somewhat of a fitness "icon" who calls herself a crossfitter and runs a CF gym here. Let's just say....I'm not excited to see her on television based on the way I've seen her act towards some people in the local CF community here.

She will be a villain.

I mean this makes me way happier than "Christmas Abbott is cool and normal" would

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

The first HoH competition in OTT was neat on the feeds. It was a great concept to watch live, the group that won slowly realized that they could form an alliance to game the comp.

Watching Big Brother TV episodes when you already know how everything turned out is rough, though. I think I've told myself in the leadup to most seasons, hey, I have CBS All Access which has literally no other content I'm interested in, I'll watch one or two of the ~big moves~ or house flips or just weird things I remember. It's extremely slow television and most of the stuff that takes you by surprise is, like, Becky and Clay talking about how they think they did in the ball rolling competition for fifteen minutes. Obviously that's important and compelling to someone who doesn't watch feeds and wants to know how the comp played out in 2015, but not on a rewatch.

They need someone to put together clipshows or something.

Fat Lowtax fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jun 27, 2017

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

Christmas (who has almost definitely had sports injuries before) immediately said it was a break and Cody said he saw a bone through the bottom of her foot. I would be, uh, very surprised if they were both wrong

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

After watching Jillian basically not campaign at all in a winnable situation I'm kinda worried about the housing market in Las Vegas

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

http://www.cbs.com/shows/big_brother/den-of-temptation-vote/

Not weird at all that Paul's kinda silly "master plan" he's been talking about for days ties in perfectly with the twist he's not supposed to know. Hell, it's normal

Fat Lowtax fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jul 7, 2017

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

They won't get people to come back as returning players if returning players are week one boots. Couldn't they have just said "Paul gets three weeks of safety because who gives a poo poo" and brought back food comps for the Sunday show?

I'm trying to think of like the suburban mom who doesn't watch every single episode and doesn't know there are live feeds and says hmmm, the rules are different every week and the room is spooky, this is good

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

Matt is one of the most pointless houseguests I've seen - how are they gonna turn this guy into a TV character? There's nothing there. Was he just cast because of his "look?" Very Jenn City if so.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

Max posted:

Cody may be intolerable in the house but he does cut a good DR.

Whenever someone who's authentically funny manages to slip through the Big Brother casting process, they should be loved and cherished no matter how much everything else about them kinda sucks.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

First week was great. This week, eh. When it's a huge alliance against a handful of scattered people it all depends on who wins HoH, we can easily get another two weeks like this without it being any kind of statistical anomaly or anything.

I thought BB9 and BB17 were pretty action-packed but since it's such a slow-moving TV show you're probably better off watching Top 14 Big Brother 9 Moments by X_Crazy_James_X_2007 on Youtube at 240p than the full episodes.

Also it's good that Matt doesn't have to follow the have not rules because he's the charismatic superstar we're all gonna remember in a couple years lmao no they could have cast any other white american male with muscles and gotten better results

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

Paul playing cruise director with stuff like this and the natural tendency for everyone to ask like, hey PAUL, what was this comp like in YOUR SEASON, bothers me a lot more than the three weeks of safety (which isn't really that bad) and his game

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

I hope however the house reconfigures, Jessica and Elena keep lines of communication open because I can see them kind of terrorizing everyone? IDK, I thought it was a good week for Elena. In a house of broken people and obvious targets she sticks out as someone who can win.

The week one alliance (Cool Kids minus Cody and Jessica) was a real threat to run the table, which probably shapes a lot of the amateur Big Brother punditry. You had the vet/charismatic leader they all took advice from, you had a ton of people who should be perfectly capable of winning Big Brother competitions, you had an "opposition" of weird, disparate figures like "old man" and "STD cowboy" and "doomed evil showmance" and "Josh Martinez" that don't even get along and should be real easy to isolate and pick off.

If Alex (who's obviously no great, independent Big Brother mastermind herself, though I think her HoH week worked better than she'll get credit for) didn't get to shuffle the deck and steer Paul away from that group, we have a different game and a place where unironically liking Cody and Jess makes a lot more sense, I think.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

CancerStick posted:

Somebody on the big brother Reddit claims to have spoilers for tonight's HoH and Battle Back. If he is right it's hilarious but what are the chances this dude is correct I guess

BB: Cody HoH: Jess (Endurance, and outlasted Christmas for 3 hours????) This is where I am like ehhhhhhh..Christmas in an endurance for 3 hours?

As I've said previously, I am new to BB. Unsure how common fake spoilers are and if there is even a chance this guy is right. Supposedly he called Megan leaving before we knew?

Didn't read the last line of your post. Yeah, he got the Megan ejection right

https://www.reddit.com/r/BigBrother/comments/6kce6z/bombshell_spoiler_woah_youve_been_warned/

I'd say just being right about one thing makes him as credible as a BB spoiler-er can be, but who knows, not like it's a long wait from now.

Fat Lowtax fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 21, 2017

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

I think the dynamic of large groups of people fondling a returning BB player's balls is a little played out by now. It's something they keep telling me I need to see and I don't know why, I guess for the TV show. I'm sure a lot of people do like Paul and that's fine, it's not really about him, it's about this weird dynamic that no one ever asks for. They had to rig Jessie Godderz out of the game and he's a moron!

It creates power relations that are just total bullshit, of course other HGs are going to ask him for advice all the time when he's been there before and he has three free weeks.

This is still a pretty solid cast, and I can't complain at all about losing Cameron, Jillian, Dominique and Ramses in the first four weeks, it's just hard to watch feeds when it's only ever "Cody and Jess being morons" or "the Poochie Show."

Like every game move everyone makes is filtered through how much it helps Paul. This is great for him, it gets rid of his immediate targets, it makes sure that there are literally zero alliances formed without him somehow. It's just so stifling, and I can't be confident the end result is "Paul wins, playing an all-time great game" and not "Paul gets bounced at like F6 and that's the only thing that ever actually happens."

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

Yeah, I'd like to think there are personality test-type items (Do you tend to follow authority? Do you consider yourself "risk-averse?") that could filter out Matts. In reality most Matts, maybe not this one but the majority are kind of made by game circumstances. I bet most of the time when they get a real coasting kind of player, it's not someone they would predict before the season. Here you have Paul giving good advice (just having access to the veteran' player's knowledge is a huge asset - it even was last year, when Da'Vonne and Frank were horrendous players), Cody and Jessica being toxic, and Paul's natural playing style being to stir up most of the house against a couple people.

Matt himself is "with it" enough to throw comps - he knows he's in a good spot, he knows he's being rewarded for playing this way, so why change in week 4 or whatever this is? He's not wrong. You win BB by being personally inoffensive, being good at ~F7+ carnival games and being in the majority alliance - you can't overemphasize entertainment (maybe they try with America votes, but there's no reason for those to overwhelmingly go against, like, Andy, Nicole and Steve), de-emphasize comps or de-emphasize coalition building without really ruining the format.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

These people are very sane

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

Does Paul even like these people? I mean the blowjobs are really sloppy all around

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

The temptation has one week left after this. Paul won HoH and he was never going to target anyone in his group. Mark is safe and Elena is a better long-term game partner for Jess than Cody is.

Flushing it out isn't some kind of huge win for Paul or some kind of huge loss for Jessica.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

Wonder how much of this stuff made it to Christmas's self-help books.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

violetdragon posted:

I'm so annoyed at people acting like Josh is a monster and an actual bully.

He's a grown man who takes literal marching orders from someone who's a foot shorter than him. Fuckin Pinky and the Brain poo poo. It would be a much better look if he was a bully.

It's disappointing with people like him, Christmas and Alex because they could have been much better HGs if it wasn't the Summer of Paul and the Eternal Quest to Evict Cody. Maybe they'll suck less if/when things re-shuffle again

Fat Lowtax fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Aug 3, 2017

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

How many BB houseguests have ever been booed? It's a tiny list, no way anyone from this season is getting on, it's nowhere near nasty enough.

Aaryn (fair enough)
Christine (she sucked, but it never would have happened if she were attractive and/or a man, Kevin is basically doing the same G-rated googly eyed "cheating" (lmao) she did with Christmas)

This year you have Raven and Cody who suck but have only done look-at-me/come-at-me-bro stuff respectively, Jessica and Paul who are more aggressive but also haven't done anything horrible, Josh and Mark who get into lame brofights? I think a lot of fans want BBUS to be BBUK where the game is tertiary, the characters are secondary, and what really matters is Judging these horrible people on the television.

Fat Lowtax fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 10, 2017

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

That's just a wink at the camera thing though.

I feel like the "Paul's 'brand of friendship' means he can't lie to us" theory is so far into the realm of batshit that even if he's super into himself and self-promotion and whatever, Paul would hear it and immediately think it's a joke.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

One noticeable dynamic: calling these people out for lining up and following Paul's orders isn't a good tactic. It obviously doesn't work coming from Cody and Jess but it didn't work for Dom, it wouldn't work for Mark, it wouldn't work if someone in the pack woke up one day and wanted to make ~big game movez~. I would say "haha they'll feel dumb when he gets the money and they don't," but Ian and Steve won BB on coattails. Nicole and Andy were assertive players but they were all about the big groups. I think Cody Calafiore still feels okay about taking someone he couldn't beat to F2 because they were an alliance. I wish I wasn't like 11 when Maggie won BB6 - Paul does a good job of nurturing the hosed up vulnerable people who just want to be part of a group and not scaring away people like Jason and Matt.

With this cast, I think this would have been a great season 9 times out of 10, playing it out from the beginning. Just didn't work out.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

ToastyPotato posted:

It also doesn't make any sense to call that out when the big group still has clear targets in the house. Yes they are all working with Paul. Because you and Cody are still there. By eliminating shared targets, they guarantee themselves further into the game, instead of being next out the door.

Some of them are "working with Paul." Probably more of them are covering Paul's rear end, ratting each other out to Paul and parroting Paul's lines at other people.

But yeah, Cody and Jess failed because they're morons (nominating Ramses!) and they never tried to take advantage of the divisions that do exist. She'll probably learn no one likes Matt and Raven anymore on the Sunday or Wednesday TV show.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

Jason just volunteered to go up to protect Paul, lmao.

Kevin's gonna face some heat this week, he might end up lower on the totem pole than Matt and Raven by the DE. When the game's 9 against 2 you really have to do literally nothing, not just very little.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

In addition to giving Alex $5000 for losing the competition, Elena should have taken the punishment and maybe also kissed her feet.

She's fine because she's fine with Paul.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

Mark is a "flake" and Paul is "trying to screw everyone" but really, the story is how inflexible almost everyone else is, including Jess and Cody. I don't think the guy who makes those alliance diagram things is even trying this year? One of the only big developments I can think of in the last couple weeks is Alex and Jason casting Kevin out for being insufficiently loyal (to Paul, not to themselves, though Kevin still thinks he has a F2 with Paul anyway).

I think the "fight scenes" keep the big group in line. It's a huge emotional bonding thing. Why shore up your own position in your huge unwieldy forever-alliance when you can circle up and go after the house pariahs for calling the fat guy who always screams at them fat, taking money after winning a competition, using a power to save their house boyfriend, eating the wrong food, having a daughter etc. It gives you all the warm fuzzy feeling you need when you're probably not too optimistic about your own game, how you're perceived outside the house etc.

For that reason I would say it will shape out to be more exciting after the last pariah (Mark) leaves, but I think enough of them (Matt/Kevin/Jason) have enough house fatigue to just kind of accept their spots in the boot order.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

ToastyPotato posted:

You're totally ignoring all of the things Marlena and Dom did to sink their own games. Things which STAC listed already. Paul is good at making adjustments to his game, and he is also pretty decent at saving people he wants to save. There really isn't any reason for the house to be thinking Paul is controlling them when every target so far has outright publicly done something to piss them off personally. Some of the biggest contention we've seen recently was during Josh's HOH and then Jody went and proved Paul 100% right anyway.

Alex thinks Paul can't lie to her because he was on the TV show (about lying to people) before, and he said "friendship" a lot.

A lot of people's "bad mistakes" and a lot of people's "great gameplay" would meet in the middle if Ramses told Jess to use the veto on him. Paul's playing well, Christmas seems to be capable of thinking through poo poo, that's it.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

Paul could have got Kevin on the block if Alex won. Jason will press harder against that, though.

I know he thinks of Matt and Raven as the counterbalance against Alex and Jason, but it's not very good if they never win anything ever.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

Jason is having a good-rear end meltdown (of course, because he's like the only one who even pretends to listen to people, in front of Paul).

Unless he wins a comp every week he'll get to go over his game with Mark and Cody very soon.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

They've warned Josh about provoking this poo poo like ten times, he's never listened, but I don't think they'll actually do anything to him or Kevin without real physical contact, maybe even intent to injure. But it's a CBS show with an audience of mostly kids and grandmas, they don't want it to be Bad Girls' Club. It's like giving Christmas hospital furloughs and comp exemptions: lovely situation, no good options for production. Now if she makes it to F3 and she's not cleared to play in either of the first two comps (and they were INSANELY dumb to allow her to play in the run-around-and-collect-balls comp), there's those big fancy comp sets and all the TV time devoted to them, but with no stakes at all.

"Winding up the dumb loud guy and getting him to yell in people's faces until they hit him or say something stupid" is actually very replicable as a BB strategy. Hope it doesn't make casting too sterile/conflict-averse.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

ToastyPotato posted:

Yeah I guess literally no one is responsible for their own actions this season besides Paul.

I am looking forward to seeing Paul blamed for everything on the next season of BB as well, even though he won't be in the house. Paul is probably going to be responsible for the drama in the next season of Survivor too. And now I have to wonder if perhaps Paul might have something to do with the recent drama in US politics!

I think they probably will cast a nicey-nice bunch next year, and that's a bit of a shame. I don't think the big problems come from people being nasty, they come from a critical mass of people (Matt, Raven and Alex) playing the game with absolutely zero intent to win. You can be a total dick or a dumbass or a bad player or kinda lazy (Cody was all four!) but that doesn't break the covenant of BB. Alex said she wants to "lose her first season and get invited back" in her preshow poo poo. There's no reason not to take her at her word, she gets in all these fights for TV time. And the fights were never real - now you have Matt yelling at Jason for putting him up, breaking the precious Big Brother laws (which I don't care about, but they sure did when it was Jessica not studying for a competition), and they don't even talk behind his back that much. Because he's in the house to kiss the same ring they are.

It's why it was always so silly to expect some kind of great climactic Big Brother seminar after, like, Mark and Elena left - and yeah, Alex's blindside will still be funny, and Paul can easily still lose.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

Yeah, I'm kind of more interested in the other explanations that aren't Paul shooting death rays from his eyes, including his special guest friendship bracelet introduction (where they all had to basically beg him for safety in the game) and how easily the house got that DOR out of Megan, teaching them that the game can be all about picking on the weak kid.

I hate vet-newbie seasons but I definitely wanted Paul to come back eventually. That's different from liking him per se, even last year. I don't think he has any natural sense of humor, he's a humongous poser, he sucks the air out of rooms (this was all obvious just from BB18 when he was generally the "good guy," the underdog, playing from behind, playing dirty but not this dirty etc.) - but if they could find 16 people to do this show who all play the game as hard as he does, they'd really be onto something. They got "mean" and "ruthless" right with a lot of these people but Paul was always independent, like he wasn't even that loyal to Victor in reality.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

Kevin can't own up to his bullshit because aside from talking to Cody and Jess (who he always got along with personally) it was all done in tandem with Paul and he sincerely thinks he has, like, a Renegades/Hitmen style F2 that supercedes anything else Paul might have going on in the game. So if he outs himself and the conversation goes wrong, maybe he implicates Paul (or someone puts 2 and 2 together) and he loses his protection.

Kevin would be an awful person to take to F2 though. I tried to plot out who's good and bad in the game for Paul, not quite sure though. Obviously Alex and Jason are worse together than separately but they're probably getting broken up next week.
code:

name           no comp threat        loyal      good goat
alex               O                   X            X? 
jason              O                   O            O
josh               X                   O?           O
raven              O?                  X            X
kevin              X                   X            O
xmas               X                   O?           X

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

Seems like the houseguest with a broken foot won a running competition, which everyone threw to her so that she could nominate two people who have only ever made moves for "the house."

I thought we were a team, man :(

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

Normally I only watch the Thursday shows but I really want to see that competition play out on TV. It should be the best TV moment of the season imo, complete with cheap scooter sound effects and oblivious Jason/Alex DRs.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

https://mobile.twitter.com/MizDonDraper/status/905766550661160961/video/1

Hell, same

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

Mahoning posted:

I just had a thought about Hurricane Irma and Josh. Does he have any idea? Couldn't they try to get an "I'm ok" message to Josh from his family?

Seems kinda heartless to after the fact be like "oh hey by the way the strongest hurricane ever recorded hammered Florida and everything you own may be ruined and we're not really sure about your family. Good luck!"

I'm pretty sure you get a (monitored, weird, East German) family call in jury, so if he gets booted he'll find out about it. Did they do a Josh family segment on TV yet?

The game is always so tense and lovely, especially in this stage, that the absolute last thing you should want is a "btw there was a hurricane" message. If your family's fine you want to know if your stuff is fine, if your stuff is fine you want to know if your buddies are fine, if your buddies are fine you want to know if their families are fine and if their stuff is fine. He might be mad at CBS after the show for not saying anything, and I would totally understand that, but I think they're right to follow their procedure and let him focus on the game, there's straight up nothing he can do about Irma anyway.

Fat Lowtax fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Sep 10, 2017

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

Was Elena taking the 5k from Alex the best non-Paul game move of the season? Think about it: she did something kinda risky, to win money, for herself.

Kevin too, but like half the house pressed the button.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

Derrick's cast got a ton of poo poo when that was going on, I actually think the fan reaction might have been even worse.

I think of Christmas's broken foot kind of the same way I think of Frankie being drafted into "Team America" - the savviest "minion" on the house majority side was stripped of a lot of their agency, and just kind of had to go along with the guy who was running the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOAMtMBui1A

This is basically just a mad-lib to me

• Locked thread