Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i think he's dealing with pressure and uncertainty with an optimistic outlook and a winning smile. doesn't matter if the smile in question says 'you hosed my girlfriend? that's...... cool' more than 'i'm happy' because i get the feeling that he'd rather be nice to everyone than kill them despite inhabiting a body with the skilset to make him perfectly capable of the latter.

that fight with rashad will be the worst fight on that card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
mm taking a fight with tj on the proviso that he gets the next shot at cody would be so sick. either way i'm glad dana's hardballing dj. seriously pitching ray borg is depressing.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i found a clue... his piano.... i'm close

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

here's dj's version of the tj fight.

http://imgur.com/a/7H3vt

gently caress dana white. gently caress sean shelby.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

oh and gently caress dana white

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i'm glad he caught a break getting a title shot off a year old win (an admittedly very sick win in the midst of other very sick wins) because not much else is going right for him career wise.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

sage and paige main'd and co-main'd a fight card. sage has been on more main cards than wilson reis, and the only cards he's been on where he was not on the main card was his debut and ufc 200, where he shared the prelims with tj dillashaw, johny hendricks, rafael assuncao, kelvin gastellum, cat zingano and was placed above people who fought on the early prelims that no one watches the caliber of lauzon, miller, gomi, mousasi and sanchez.

it's insane to say that they haven't been given a little bit of help.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Skip My Posts posted:

its definitely true that sage is overpaid for his talent and is given spots on cards that he does not deserve but if mighty mouse had been put on main cards sooner i dont think he'd be way more popular or anything

on one hand you could say 'fighting ability is all that counts' which is untrue because mm is the best fighter on the planet and no one cares and on the other hand you can say 'personality is all that counts' which is provably not true with sage giving every impression that he still showers with his parents, plugs sponsors he doesn't deserve and just generally gives a dark insight into dana white's sexuality.

so if fighting and personality aren't necessarily facets of popularity and financial success in mma, i have to believe promotion fills in a lot of the blanks no matter where you sit on the personality / fighting skill scale.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Compared to, say, RYAN BADER, they've been burying him for years in a way that practically seems personal

if it wasn't, it should have been.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

speaking broadly i honestly don't give a gently caress if they closed down flyweight because mm would just be the champion of 135 instead and everyone at 125 who was remotely competent fights at 135 too or disappears off my television screen forever.

speaking as a fan of the sport, i'd find closing flyweight down when lhw and w135/145 remain actual divisions to be an affront to the sport's integrity.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

as far as i'm concerned, if you get railroaded into fighting ray borg because they could not possibly make money selling a superfight, but then threaten to shitcan your entire division because of lost revenue from fighting ray borg instead of a not-a-champion from the other aforementioned un-sellable division, you're in the right to tell people to gently caress themselves.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

he plays video games? what a loving dork. if only he was as good looking as that male model who beat platinum mike perry that time, or as relateable and personable as cain velasquez. twas not to be.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

the professional fighter who drives lambos when he isn't knocking world champions out is pretty cool

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

but then again i find the guy who plays video games and chills w/ his family while being relentlessly polite, positive, hard working and personable when he isn't being the most dominant fighter in the world p4p pretty cool too

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Triticum Guzzler posted:

DJ is the most passive aggressive guy ever so this whole lover's quarrel is completely unsurprising

i have literally not heard dj say anything negative about the pay / ufc other than 'i don't get paid very much, relatively. oh well'.

and since dana started making GBS threads on him this time all i heard was 'i want to fight ray borg', and a little later, his side of the story which reeks of factual accuracy and any attack on dana / ufc reps is because of their alleged actions, and not because of dj editorialising.

also he generally takes the fight to his opponents.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

if miocic was getting paid so little he needed a day job then i don't begrudged mighty mouse angling for a fairer deal because post fight the ufc repossesses his furniture and fucks his wife

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

remember when mighty mouse co-main'd for jon jones / osp and he destroyed an olympic gold medal wrestler in the clinch inside of one round with knees? then jon took a big poo poo? it's been over a year since then and mighty mouse has defended twice more and jones has spent the time bringing himself and the sport into disrepute but is coming back to a ppv point extravaganza while mighty mouse is being railroaded into fighting ray borg for his last shot at points and when he texts the bosses asking why they respond with 'whodis?'.

should have been a jockey.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

attackmole posted:

'People don't like flyweights because they can't finish each other'

*mighty mouse finishes 7 out of his last 9 fights*

ppv star jon jones last finished a fight in early 2013 when he took out the highly touted chael sonnen

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i'd say that tj offering up his purse as assurance should go a long way to making the fight happen but if mighty mouse tells everyone to gently caress off i honestly don't blame him but it would definitely be a bad, and pretty petty career move.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Bundt Cake posted:

take it to willie dees ped thread

lol

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

I don't think guys who are just good at 125 all automatically just hang in at 10lbs heavier.

mm would be champ after his first fight, joe and cejudo would be top 10, couple more top 15, couple more hanging around unranked because their fun. that deepens the division significantly.

poo poo that guy who i've never seen and who i don't remember just humiliated alcantara lol

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Skip My Posts posted:

i dont think mm would have an easy time getting through tj or cody

maybe not. i'm going off mmath of dom that beat tj being roughly as good as the one who dropped rounds to a still-working-day-job mm. cody still dropped round/s to dom. i think this version of mm would be too fast and too technically good for any of them by a significant margin.

can't wait to find out if i'm right.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

same

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i think it's because he doesn't get promoted, and the people he fights have spent the entire rest of their career buried in the prelims / early prelims so every single title defense sounds like it's against someone from keven's lhw rankings who he crushes easily, instead of world class fighters in their own right.... who he crushes easily

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

the real life oddjob. not to be confused with the real life randomtask

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

david carmichael posted:

Also tying Lewis and DJ together: that is why people think they could beat up lighter weight champions. There are all kinds of regular burly gentleman walking around that could have a good shot of beating up the best p4p fighter alive.

horse poo poo. frank walks around at 155 and regularly beat the poo poo out of guys who weighed 175/180 lbs shredded who also happened to be among the best fighters in the world.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

david carmichael posted:

Frankie beat a bunch of guys who ended up at 145 and lost twice to a guy whose main skill was big thighs

and are also among the most skilled mixed martial artists in the world

you're not going to get an argument from me about size and strength mattering, but random joe who weighs 240 would get hammered by mighty mouse, it wouldnt be close, and no he wouldn't really have a chance. the fact that a lot of people think they would have a shot at beating the 5'3 best fighter in the world because they weigh more is really funny and seems at odds with my experience in combat sports between people who know what they're doing an people who don't, and then going to the extreme ends of both scales.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

EmmyOk posted:

Wow Artem must be talking about Conor! A new dawn for him.

https://twitter.com/RusHammerMMA/status/872464865440477184

Wow, coming from fellow ufc on fox main eventer and promotional equal artem lobov that's gotta count for something.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

EmmyOk posted:

He then moved on to calling Aldo out as Artem is "the closest you'll ever get to Conor again. It'd be an honour". Big oul evening for him on Twitter.

hahaha that's like when atom does a good own

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

I don't care about it, but I'm not going to poignantly stay home resolutely not watching it when every single male person I know will be watching. Terrible fight. One of the premie social events of the calendar year though.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

uhhuh yeah back problems. if you can get booted off government assistance for 'back problems' if you're caught mowing your lawn i'm probably not going to factor 'back problems' into your losing performance when you spend three rounds doing your impression of the yair / bruce leeroy fight

i think it was getting punched by mark hunt problems.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Grem posted:

Where's that racist guy with the Jon Jones' mom joke cause get this....back problems more like...black problems. Eyyyyyyyyyyy.

Work Friend Keven posted:

I agree that "the black beast" is a lazy welfare cheat (??)

perfect.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Fentry posted:

So on the continuing subject of brain trauma ex UFC fighter Tim Hague (best known for choking out Pat Barry and then losing to Todd Duffee in 7 seconds) was KO'd in a Boxing match last night and has been declared brain dead:

https://twitter.com/MIKERUSSELLMMA/status/876165604084002816

Apparently he had been KO'd 7 times in the past 2 years

That's horrible.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

melon cat posted:

First knock down at 01:23.
Second at 02:25.
Third at 03:03.
Fourth at 04:22.
KO blow at 05:25.

It's so screwed up that the most (arguably) dangerous contact sport is run by only the most incompetent athletic commissions. But I also can't figure out why his own corner didn't stop the fight- Hague was clearly outclassed and the fight wasn't going to sway in his favor at any point. The whole situation's just heartbreaking and infuriating to watch.

Like with that kid who died in the kickboxing fight last year, it's genuinely upsetting that the corner, the referee, and the doctor all drop the loving ball. You'd think one of them would give a gently caress. To be fair, this thing is very rare, but there are a few people who should have Hague death weighing on their conscience.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

this is why i'll buy the ppv. not because the fight will be good, but because the money has been earned.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

I hope the lines on ngannou / jds are close so I can put money on the technically sound striker instead of the relatively new guy whose main attribute is 'strong'. I learned from hunt / Lewis that this is quite a good strategy.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

I'm really happy Dana didn't get his way after years of pushing around a child sized man. Enjoy it DJ.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

If you wanted DJ to fight dillashaw, perhaps you shouldn't have told him that a superfight against Cody was unpromotable and forced him to fight ray borg lol

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

tesilential posted:

Right but that's irrelevant. DJ's position would actually be way better if he beat TJ (his riskiest opponent ever at 125) rather than Borg. He knows this. He wants Borg because he is a way way easier fight, like 10x easier for 1/2 the money.

that isn't correct at all. dj was campaigning to fight cody, a way better fighter than tj, and they forced him to fight ray borg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

tesilential posted:

Yeah at 135, a no lose situation for DJ. Wonder if he'd fight Cody at 125 next? (Nope)

hahaha

tesilential posted:

DJ contradicted himself on almost every point he made in that open letter, check out that lawyer who outlined exactly how.

hahaha

• Locked thread