Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Lid posted:

he will always be remembered for his fight with Mighty Mouse

That's Chris Cariaso. And yes, I did have to check to see which forgettable fighter I was thinking of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Claudia is cool.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Also, in their second fight, Claudia landed the first hard punch of the fight, and even managed to drop her while gassed. Even in those last two rounds, when Claudia really had as little in the tank as I've seen anyone have, she was still timing Joanna with a couple of good counter shots. Her beating her is not out of the realm of possibility.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Dan Didio posted:

He didn't throw them against TKZ because one got checked early and broke his foot. He didn't throw them against Frankie or Chad because it would have been a bad idea, he didn't throw them against Conor because the fight lasted thirteen seconds.

Frankie was actually catching them and taking him down off them, which is crazy.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
/\ /\ /\ UFC 178 is also a cool card since it runs counter to the 'Conor's popularity is something that he did himself' idea. Since, when he's not the main event, not fighting for the title and not the subject of a massive advertising campaign, he sells gently caress all.

threeagainstfour posted:

As far as promotion, the one thing that sticks out from that statement is Sean Shelby saying they could not promote Cody vs DJ. That seems crazy to me. The guy who just schooled Dominick Cruz vs the P4P #1 is an unsellable fight?

Reminds me a little of David Cross' rant about Fox's inability to make Arrested Development, the most lauded show in the history of everything, a hit. By the same token, Mighty Mouse is not a promoter. He's a fighter and he's really loving good at it. The UFC is a promotion. It's in the drat description. He fights, they promote. Getting angry at him for not promoting is like getting angry at a cook because he's not a good waiter.

Also, lol at calling Mighty Mouse bland when central casting WASP extras like Paige and Sage get huge promotional pushes with no accomplishments.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Who are they supposed to reach on the Fight Pass prelims? How is it their fault the entire division is consistently buried on prelims? How does the UFC benefit from making GBS threads on their best champion?

I remember when he fought Moraga, who was on a decent streak at the time. I was following the sport pretty closely at the time, and still had no idea who he was because he'd fought exclusively on the early prelims of minor cards.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Skip My Posts posted:

what huge promotional pushes have sage and van zant received? being on dana white lookin for a fight?

Even if that were the only thing, that's one more than MM ever got. As a serious answer, I don't have the energy to track down promos and look up with press conferences they were at despite having no good wins, but consider that Paige VanZant hasn't been off the main card since her second UFC fight (her debut was the featured fight pass bout) and has main evented twice with zero accomplishments. Sage hasn't main evented yet, but has consistently been on the main card since his second fight, the only exception being UFC 200.

Meanwhile, DJ wasn't on the main card till he started fighting for a title, and the same is true for a good chunk of his opponents. And while you can say 'well, more people watch the free prelims' most of those Sage and Paige cards were free cards.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Lid posted:

Paige danced with the stars

Also did Chopped, according to Wikipedia

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Skip My Posts posted:

Oh being in press conferences and being put onto main cards earlier in his career would have been considered a huge promotional push

No, that was just what I could verify right now.

Also acting as if dramatically increasing a fighter's visibility isn't a big deal makes it seem like you're not actually interested in an answer. Again, Paige Van Zant has headlined twice with zero accomplishments, and gotten trounced both times. DJ didn't even headline his first Flyweight title fight.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Skip My Posts posted:

seems more like you're crying that your favorite fighter isn't popular or getting his way and blaming the ufc instead of the casual fans that don't care about him

And casual fans, of course, cannot be influenced by the efforts of the promoter, which, again, is why we're talking a lot about Paige, Sage and Erick Silva. I know we don't talk about Erick Silva anymore, but we did, and it was only partially because he looked like Gael Garcia Bernal if he did heaps of steroids.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Skip My Posts posted:

its definitely true that sage is overpaid for his talent and is given spots on cards that he does not deserve but if mighty mouse had been put on main cards sooner i dont think he'd be way more popular or anything

Might help if any of his opponents were. A quick check reveals that only Dodson and Benavidez are on main cards with any regularity, and Benavidez only since the first Mighty Mouse fight, and that's despite him being a wrecking ball who hasn't lost to anyone without a belt.

By contrast, Jones' opponents (and Jones isn't exactly lighting the world on fire PPV wise) are all main event regulars, even utterly mediocre fighters like OSP and Glover have a couple of main event fights beforehand. Ironically, the only exception is DC.

In fact, I think you'd struggle to find a single title contender above 145 that hadn't had a main event or two before they challenged.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jun 6, 2017

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Skip My Posts posted:

thats probably treu but then why does he wanna fight ray borg over tj?

Please don't advertise quite so blatantly that you didn't read the thing that spawned all this discussion. Keep it subtle.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Skip My Posts posted:

i read it. dana white is a dickhead and i think mighty mouse should get his entire purse if tj misses weight

And that won't happen, and so you have your answer about why MM is reluctant to take the fight.

Also, who the gently caress likes being strongarmed into something? Especially if you can honestly say you are the best at the thing you do.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

tesilential posted:

LOL that you used Conor doubling MM's buy rate from 3 months prior as an example for your bad opinion.

Lol that you used a 205k selling card as proof of someone's inherent popularity that has nothing to do with the massive efforts of the UFC to promote him, stick him in main events, stick him on talk shows and give him title shots.

"Conor, so popular he can sell more than the worst selling champion in the sport's history, but less than Aldo Vs. Mendes"

Conor is crazy popular, but to suggest that the massive efforts of the company he works for have nothing to do with that is, frankly, loving retarded.

Skip My Posts posted:

yeah they will and it will work a lot better if he beats tj instead of ray borg

Yes, sure, he's been trouncing people for 6 years and has looked untouchable pretty much that whole time while they've done nothing to promote him, but this is when they'll turn it around.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Tezcatlipoca posted:

No fighter has ever been poo poo on because of a recent defeat, my bad.

I really hate the term, but Mighty Mouse actually does have haters. He used to be derided for being a boring decision machine (by people who, confusingly loved Ian McCall) then he starts subbing people. Well, that's boring. Then he flattens Benavidez in two minutes, and they get mad because of the way he celebrates. He finishes Horiguchi with one second on the clock, and they think he dragged the fight out. There are very much people for whom mighty mouse can do nothing right.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Memento posted:

The quality of Cody's poo poo-talking should have convinced them long ago that this is never going to happen

Given the quality of Conor's poo poo talking, stranger things have, in fact, happened.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Lid posted:

Their tabulation of pushing fighters as the Next Big Thing is

1. Young

2. White

C. Attractive

Being intelligent or actually good are additional bonuses.

This however does not actually mean who will be a supterstar, just who they push to be one. There is a reason this also keeps failing.

Never forget for with his contemporaries up until Chael, Anderson was their lowest drawing champion (LHW was marquee, welterweight had GSP, lightweight had BJ Penn and heavyweight was Randy/Brock). All of them were pushed more than him until someone else promoted him upwards.

It's sort of like Hollywood continually being sure that Chris Pratt, or Chris Hemsworth or Joel Kinnamon or Sam Worthington or Jai Courteny are all going to be the next big thing, and will stick them in a thousand big movies that flop before considering promoting, say, a black woman, or Asian man.

Not promoting DJ has been a self fulfilling prophecy. No one actually promotes themselves exclusively. And, even if it was possible (it isn't) asking why fighters don't promote themselves is very much like wondering why Dana White won't fight Ray Borg himself.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

tesilential posted:

Hahaha, keep making up quotes nobody has said except you, retard.
You cited a 205k selling PPV as proof of Conor's popularity. Didn't you? Yes, it's more than DJ's average. DJ's average is poo poo. So, yes, it's better than poo poo, but worse than Aldo vs Mendes (215k) which is slightly less bad poo poo. Almost as if Conor isn't inherently popular, but became far more so when he started challenging for titles as the main event of heavily advertised PPVs. And became more popular still when he had a belt and was going for a second on a card with two other belts in the UFC's heavily promoted NY debut, and so on. Come one dude, this isn't hard.

quote:

Conor is popular because he is loving cool.

Nope. On at least two counts.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

the professional fighter who drives lambos when he isn't knocking world champions out is pretty cool

However, the guy who became a hermit and spent a fortune on a camp so that he could be the 9th man to decision Nate Diaz less convincingly than noted not-cool person Ben Henderson seems more like a loving dork. And the guy who's loving up a good division despite fighting in it once in the hope of making a fortune in a fight he has no business just seems like an rear end in a top hat.

People are multi faceted

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Auron posted:

Are we REALLY that concerned that TJ isn't going to make weight? Yeah he's never fought at 125, but TJ comes across as a disciplined dude, and its not like he's huge at 135.

Lineker is substantially smaller, like by a full three inches (That's the height difference between JDS and Michael Bisping), has fought at featherweight (or tried to) 8 times, and has missed weight fully half those times

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CommonShore posted:

flyweight, but yeah. But Lineker also has a head the size of a pumpkin.

Anthony Pettis does not, was a tiny lightweight, and still hosed up his weight cut.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CommonShore posted:

And Anthony Johnson has wins over a top-ten Heavyweight but was 'able' to 'make' 'Welterweight'.

I do really feel sorry for the current generation of MMA fans, who only know Anthony Johnson as 'successful but mercurial Light Heavyweight' and not as 'world's giantest Welterweight.'

Rigel posted:

edit: Megan is also very active, 3-4 fights a year. So if she actually beat Cyborg, the UFC might be able to market a WFW champ who isn't a flake.

Also, one who doesn't look like the thing Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman teamed up to fight.

I know it's mean to mock a fighter for their looks, but Cyborg's are largely her own fault.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

tesilential posted:

Lol, height doesn't matter

I really want to highlight that you actually said this. "Height isn't the only determining factor" is a reasonable statement, this is not. And, looking at the replay of their fight, I'm not sure why you're so sure Lineker is bigger. If there's some massive difference in size in Lineker's favour, it's not obvious to the eye.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Kaddish posted:

The fact that Conor is trying to talk himself into a boxing bout with Mayweather gives some clue as to the level of self delusion he sustains, which is pretty impressive.

Also, goddamn Lobov is a bootlicking shitheel. What a surprise.

"How dare you demand reasonable treatment from your employers!" shouts a man who almost has a winning record in the UFC, yet has already main evented.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jun 10, 2017

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Pearnicious posted:

I've always been confused why this debate was ever a thing. It's like trying to compare a sprinter and a decathlete. The obvious conclusion is that the sprinter will win a sprinting event, but the decathlete would win the overall decathlon event.

I guess people simultaneously overestimate McGregor and underestimate Mayweather in terms of boxing ability, and also the "sudden victory" potential of combat sports makes it harder to predict.

But Conor has one shot knockout power and is kind of tall for the weightclass! Something that Floyd has never dealt with in 49 fights.

There are people saying, with complete earnestness, that Floyd has never faced someone like Conor before, which is true in the sense that he's never faced anyone with no pro-boxing experience before.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Soothing Vapors posted:

Always an excuse

He's probably been asked that question 600 times since the fight.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I'm still mystified that anyone has listened to Goldie and thought 'yes, that man should definitely speak professionally for us'

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Noctone posted:

I mean at least one or both of Dana and Conor went on the record some time back saying that Conor's plan for the year was the Mayweather fight and then one UFC fight, so it's not exactly news. Can't recall if they specified it would be a title defense, though. Personally I'd love to see a rubber match with Diaz, even though he's four spots back in the rankings. TFerg legitimately deserves a shot, obviously; but Khabib can go gently caress himself, Alvarez already got clowned and who gives a poo poo about dos Anjos.

Tony, who last fought in November and fought twice last year, deserves the shot. Khabib, who last fought in November and fought twice last year, can gently caress off.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I'm just really glad Khabib didn't get the title shot, since we would have ended up with a champion who never fought or defended their belt.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

threeagainstfour posted:

Tony would have won

Well, it's his turn to pull out when their fight is next announced, so the opinion pendulum will probably swing back.

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

I see what you did there.

Ferguson is almost certainly most deserving, but I have an irrational dislike of him. Gimme Barboza instead.

He's kind of weird looking. It's the Max Holloway effect. I still can't quite get my head around the fact that that goofy looking fucker is a legit incredible fighter.

Speaking of T-Ferg though, that fight with RDA is loving amazing. They fight drat near full speed the whole time, at altitude, and by the end they've still got a bunch in the tank and still haven't fully figured each other out. I mean, Tony won, but it could have gone a few more rounds to settle it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Yes, Demetrious Johnson, averaging two to three fights per year like clockwork, you are the one who should step up and fight.

You can bang on about how often Conor fights, but he's also much, much better paid, and fights about as often as DJ. DJ is paid gently caress all, yet maintains one of the tightest schedules of any champ. He's fought twice since Conor last fight, and will probably make it three or even four by the time Conor actually fights in the UFC again.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Looten Plunder posted:

I also love the fact he holds Conor up as the gold standard. This is the guy that held 3 divisions to ransom and refused to fight unless he got the opponent he wanted and the paycheck he wanted. Did he forget that he had to strip Conor of his belt because he refused to defend it?

Refused to defend it because he was avenging hurt pride against Diaz, only to get a completely unearned title shot, skipping at least two or three guys on massive win streaks and millions of dollars.

Yeah, of loving course Conor shows up and fights. You give him enormous incentive to.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Work Friend Keven posted:

Conor fought nine billion times a year before he got famous, MM should consider moving from phase 1 to phase 2.

Not really, depending on exactly when you judge he got famous.

2013: twice
2014: twice
2015: three times
2016: three times

Yes, he fought 5 times in 2011 before coming to the UFC, beating 5 guys who I'm totally sure exist, but then only 3 times in 2012, having moved onto the big league of Cage Warriors.

Restricted to his UFC career, there's no such trend. If anything, it's shifting the other way. He fights more as his paycheques have gone up. Interesting. I'm sure there's no lesson we could apply to Mighty Mouse here.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Memento posted:

Someone yelled to him "Do U 'effin C that train?" and he yelled back "yeah I do I'm the former welterweight champion!"

This is a good post.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Fat Twitter Man posted:

someone find that post I made ina gdt back in 2008 where i said "I hope Matt Hughes gets hit by a train"

At the time we had to settle for Thiago Alves.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Memento posted:

I honestly didn't know RDA trained out of Singapore, that's cool. I realise I don't know much about him. Anyone want to give me his best fight? The Pettis fight probably?

RDA is my second favourite fighter for a lot of the same reasons I like my first favourite fighter. He's a workhorse. He started out with two close/competitive losses, and learned to take losses in stride and just go back to the drawing board. Until Bisping, he held the record for 'most UFC fights before his first title fight.' Vs. the WEC trinity is his best performance, alongside trouncing Diaz, but his fight with T-Ferg is just a great back and forth fight.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
My thoughts are pretty much always with Matt Hughes' family. This is one of the few times I've been able to relax on that.

Also, poor loving Tim Hague, that is awful.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Matt Hughes is a terrible person and was in a car accident.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

I.N.R.I posted:

whats wrong with him? i mean whats wrong with his personality and not his body, which was hit by a train

There's a summary of his book in this very thread, which is a fantastic collection of 'why the gently caress would you willingly reveal this/boast about this'

Nierbo posted:

Shes unbeatable at 145 right now.

In the sense that she will not fight there, and thus cannot be beaten there.

You're doing a good job on that vibe, dude.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Thugrose fuckin owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
gently caress, I remember after that first fight with Lawler, Hendricks had showed massive, massive improvement in his striking in a very short time. Against Condit, he was just spamming the left hand like a kid playing tekken who didn't want to find out what the other buttons did. Then, two fights later, he's trading successfully on the inside against Lawler, and nearly shutting him down with leg kicks. I remember someone here saying they couldn't see how anyone else was going to give Hendricks as hard a time as Lawler did.

Now, lol. a 5'9 fighter missing middleweight. And looking like poo poo to boot.

• Locked thread