Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

starkebn posted:

I guess it's just that NSW actually has an ICAC and it's actually charging people. Everywhere else they seem to just get away with it.

not anymore lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Is ICAC different to WA's CCC?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
It's an online slang widely used in Australia's boisterous Chinese-language media outlets.

But its meaning, and whether it's affectionate or condescending towards Australia, remains a hot topic of debate.

Taken literally, TuAo means "unrefined, backwards Australia".

The term's widespread use in headlines on popular WeChat platforms like Sydney Today is a window into how the hundreds of thousands of Chinese students, graduates and migrants view the country where they reside.

"I feel it refers to how close you are to nature in Australia", said Annie Zhang, a permanent resident and Sydney University graduate who migrated from Beijing.

But she says the term also refers to the "coarse" Australian accent, and the country's perceived backwardness in everything from urban design to mobile payment technology.

"I've heard people say that England is America's village, and Australia is England's village, so it's really rural and unrefined," she said.

"China is so grandiose, whereas in Australia there aren't as many magnificent tall buildings."

Each day, tens of thousands of readers of the fast-growing Australian-based Chinese WeChat platforms see clickbait-style headlines referring to TuAo.

Many Chinese migrants say the term is mainly affectionate.

"Those students who are attracted to Australia, who are interested in facets of Australian life and like it here, they'll say TuAo," said Josh Rong, a journalist who also studied in Sydney.

'Laidback, modest, unassuming'

Some members of the Chinese community though see the word as representing an increasingly confident nationalism among young Chinese.

"This is a phenomenon for those we call the 'little pinks'," said Feng Chongyi, a Chinese studies professor at the University of Technology, referring to slang for young patriots.

"It's popular among them, not among the older generations.

"For them, [the term] is also loaded with some political meaning to show their own nationalism — to compare the Chinese modernisation to Australia, which they call a large village."

Chinese internet slang is dynamic and often open to interpretation and regional differences.

Wai Ling Yeung, a former Chinese studies professor at Curtin University, points out that many Chinese-Australians use the character for village when referring to suburbs.

"Because of that, many China-based netizens think all Australian cities are like country towns, but this is in fact not what Chinese-Australians mean," she said.

She contrasts TuAo with humorous slang used by Chinese abroad in other countries, including FuGuo for Britain, meaning "decadent country" — a coded term believed to refer to the UK's attitudes towards homosexuality.

The US is also sometimes referred to online as MeiDi, meaning "American empire".

"In a way we are very proud of being 'Tu'," Ms Yeung said

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I'm glad to see immigrants adapting so well, cultural cringe is an important part of Australian culture.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Anidav posted:

It's an online slang widely used in Australia's boisterous Chinese-language media outlets.

But its meaning, and whether it's affectionate or condescending towards Australia, remains a hot topic of debate.

Taken literally, TuAo means "unrefined, backwards Australia".

The term's widespread use in headlines on popular WeChat platforms like Sydney Today is a window into how the hundreds of thousands of Chinese students, graduates and migrants view the country where they reside.

"I feel it refers to how close you are to nature in Australia", said Annie Zhang, a permanent resident and Sydney University graduate who migrated from Beijing.

But she says the term also refers to the "coarse" Australian accent, and the country's perceived backwardness in everything from urban design to mobile payment technology.

"I've heard people say that England is America's village, and Australia is England's village, so it's really rural and unrefined," she said.

"China is so grandiose, whereas in Australia there aren't as many magnificent tall buildings."

Each day, tens of thousands of readers of the fast-growing Australian-based Chinese WeChat platforms see clickbait-style headlines referring to TuAo.

Many Chinese migrants say the term is mainly affectionate.

"Those students who are attracted to Australia, who are interested in facets of Australian life and like it here, they'll say TuAo," said Josh Rong, a journalist who also studied in Sydney.

'Laidback, modest, unassuming'

Some members of the Chinese community though see the word as representing an increasingly confident nationalism among young Chinese.

"This is a phenomenon for those we call the 'little pinks'," said Feng Chongyi, a Chinese studies professor at the University of Technology, referring to slang for young patriots.

"It's popular among them, not among the older generations.

"For them, [the term] is also loaded with some political meaning to show their own nationalism — to compare the Chinese modernisation to Australia, which they call a large village."

Chinese internet slang is dynamic and often open to interpretation and regional differences.

Wai Ling Yeung, a former Chinese studies professor at Curtin University, points out that many Chinese-Australians use the character for village when referring to suburbs.

"Because of that, many China-based netizens think all Australian cities are like country towns, but this is in fact not what Chinese-Australians mean," she said.

She contrasts TuAo with humorous slang used by Chinese abroad in other countries, including FuGuo for Britain, meaning "decadent country" — a coded term believed to refer to the UK's attitudes towards homosexuality.

The US is also sometimes referred to online as MeiDi, meaning "American empire".

"In a way we are very proud of being 'Tu'," Ms Yeung said

Better a tuao than a tuhao

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
It's fine to be dodgy as long as the rules - which we make anyway - are followed [Guardian]

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Bolt posted:

If three Australian Patriots had attacked an ABC presenter in the street, that would be in every news bulletin, right? With much rage directed at thugs trying to silence debate?

Hmm. With the Left it's not the principle but the side.
:qq:

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

If only there was news stories covering this story that we're reading about in the news then maybe we'd have coverage of it.

-----------------------------------------------

https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/872213209230360576

https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/872213954608504832

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

""Pauline Hanson [Facebook posted:

Successive Governments to date have failed to act strongly enough to keep Australia safe from the growing threat of Islamic terrorism. More must be done. I believe police and security agencies’ powers need to be increased to allow them to effectively target those on terror watch lists before they become violent.

Stronger action needs to be taken on migrants and refugees who come to the attention of Australian security forces. Those on watch lists who are not Australian citizens need to be deported and those who are, interned to neutralise their possible harm to this country.

Hanson Macht Frei

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

http://www.loveaustraliaorleave.com.au
https://www.facebook.com/KimVugaLoveAustraliaorLeaveParty/
:stare:

quote:

In October 2014, I was involved in the making of a TV Documentary “Go Back To Where You Come From” for SBS, which I travelled through many hotspots in the Middle East. At times I was placed in extremely dangerous situations where I spent a lot of time with the Kurdish fighters in front line positions and being shot at by ISIS while in Syria. During the making of the documentary, I visited the UN refugee camp and witnessed firsthand why Australia should be very concerned about its border protection and the disadvantages of having an open door policy towards immigration. It was from this experience, I learnt about the many security issues that could affect our country in the foreseeable future!
:thunk:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Apparently a second Australian was killed in London and she's a hot blonde.

Battlestations.

e: also noting that the family needs to clarify that she doesn't drink or do drugs and this speaks to her being a "good person".

JBP fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jun 7, 2017

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

Apparently a second Australian was killed in London and she's a hot blonde.

Battlestations.

e: also noting that the family needs to clarify that she doesn't drink or do drugs and this speaks to her being a "good person".

God that's depressing. The only measure of a person to the media is which vices they fail to indulge.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It's bad to do drugs, on the other hand smuggling them into Australia is heroic.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Alternatively:

Alternatively 2.0:

Grog has :words: [Guardian]

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Bogan King posted:

Alternatively:

Alternatively 2.0:

Grog has :words: [Guardian]

Uh, what happened to Japan's 10 years of economic stagnation here?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

That was presumably in the 60s, 70s and 80s.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Somebody posted about having a friend who was talking about Muslim religious leaders secretly approving of terrorist acts they've publicly denounced a couple of days ago; this probably won't help but you could try:

https://www.google.com.au/amp/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/london-bridge-attack-british-imams-refuse-to-perform-funerals-for-attackers/ posted:

Over 130 imams from across the United Kingdom have said they will refuse to perform the traditional Islamic funeral prayer for the London and Manchester terror attackers. The ritual is normally carried out for every Muslim, regardless of their actions.

In what is a highly unusual move, Muslim religious leaders from different schools of Islam -- both Sunni and Shia -- issued a statement late Monday saying their pain at the suffering of the victims of Saturday's attacks had led to their decision, and they called on others imams to follow suit.

"We are deeply hurt that a spate of terror attacks have been committed in our country once more by murderers who seek to gain religious legitimacy for their actions. We seek to clarify that their reprehensible actions have neither legitimacy nor our sympathy," the statement put out by the Muslim Council of Britain (MCB), an umbrella body representing over 500 organizations, read.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/london-bridge-attack-british-imams-refuse-to-perform-funerals-for-attackers/

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Somebody posted about having a friend who was talking about Muslim religious leaders secretly approving of terrorist acts they've publicly denounced a couple of days ago; this probably won't help but you could try:

https://www.google.com.au/amp/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/london-bridge-attack-british-imams-refuse-to-perform-funerals-for-attackers/

Yeah and I poo poo you now, right wingers online are saying "they should have a proper burial because in our civilised country we offer everyone a proper Christian ceremony."

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Remember how Turnbull had a go at Victoria for letting that guy on ASIO watchlist get parole. Turns out no one was ever told about it so they had no way of knowing and it is actually ASIO to blame. SBS linky for details. :golfclap:

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
If glitter bombings are the work of 'violent extremists', why haven't any fairies come forward to condemn the latest attack

https://twitter.com/KirralieS/status/872253571638505473

I feel like just a short while ago, I was angry about holiday eggs

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

bandaid.friend posted:

If glitter bombings are the work of 'violent extremists', why haven't any fairies come forward to condemn the latest attack

When the Cadbury Creme was downgraded it was dark times for all.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/872319608086298624

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

bandaid.friend posted:

Isn't Ramadan not really a 'happy' time of year? I always find it weird that basically the only mass culture/media thing I've seen that got that was The Simpsons making a joke about an all-inclusive holiday special.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Cleretic posted:

Isn't Ramadan not really a 'happy' time of year?

I don't know but this is the same marketing team that came up with Fresh in our Memories.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

https://twitter.com/joshgnosis/status/872336741327417345

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A VHS INTO THE SLOT. ITS ROCKY V AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ROCKY. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Bogan King posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A VHS INTO THE SLOT. ITS ROCKY V AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ROCKY. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD.

That was the first place my mind went as well :toot:

I bet Bolt makes finger guns when the cowboys shoot the native americans in the Ye Olde Westerns unironically.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Amazing avatar/post combo.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Replace all text in red with "Shitposting" and voila, there I am.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

bandaid.friend posted:

https://twitter.com/woolworths/status/872320374943383552

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

https://twitter.com/KirralieS/status/872321642470526978

quote:

I LOVE being my husband's wife!

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

Cleretic posted:

Isn't Ramadan not really a 'happy' time of year? I always find it weird that basically the only mass culture/media thing I've seen that got that was The Simpsons making a joke about an all-inclusive holiday special.

I'm not sure about the specifics but I travelled in Morocco during Ramadan one year. Muslims are not allowed to eat or drink during daylight hours but once the sun goes down everyone has a big feast. It was actually a really fun environment. After eating it seemed like everyone just went and had a big street party, kids and families everywhere until late at night, people having lots of fun.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

What is the hot take in this article? I'm thinking it's something like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drQETQ2iprU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

fiery_valkyrie posted:

I'm not sure about the specifics but I travelled in Morocco during Ramadan one year. Muslims are not allowed to eat or drink during daylight hours but once the sun goes down everyone has a big feast. It was actually a really fun environment. After eating it seemed like everyone just went and had a big street party, kids and families everywhere until late at night, people having lots of fun.

I was in the UAE at Ramadan and it was a good times free for all after sundown.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Used to work nighfill with a Muslim bloke. He hated life every Ramadan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Why can't everyone just have a kwazy Kwanzaa?

• Locked thread