Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I've tried really hard over the past few years to get into Kirby and it just never happened. There's something about his style that just doesn't work for me in the various books I've read. Not that it's bad, just that I generally prefer other artists and storytellers. I'd gone back to his early stuff with Simon, I'd read large sections of his Marvel output, and I'd checked out New Gods, and it just never clicked with me.

Until Forever People. Holy poo poo this book is rad. The writing is over the top ridiculous and a perfect match for the art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Jordan7hm posted:

I've tried really hard over the past few years to get into Kirby and it just never happened. There's something about his style that just doesn't work for me in the various books I've read. Not that it's bad, just that I generally prefer other artists and storytellers. I'd gone back to his early stuff with Simon, I'd read large sections of his Marvel output, and I'd checked out New Gods, and it just never clicked with me.

Until Forever People. Holy poo poo this book is rad. The writing is over the top ridiculous and a perfect match for the art.

If you haven't check out him and Stan Lee on Fantastic Four, depending on my mood it ranks somewhere between best Silver Age comics and best comics ever.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Just read Silver Surfer: THE ULTIMATE COSMIC EXPERIENCE!!!

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Skwirl posted:

If you haven't check out him and Stan Lee on Fantastic Four, depending on my mood it ranks somewhere between best Silver Age comics and best comics ever.

I have. It just doesn't do it for me. I can recognize the craft but I just don't enjoy it that much. His style is too grotesque for everyday comics. Fantastic Four isn't exactly everyday stuff but it's still superheroes, especially as written by Lee. Give me Ditko and Lee's Spider-Man any day of the week.

I did really like the eternals though. I don't think I've read Kirby's surfer, I should read that next.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Check out Kirby's Thor around the 160's. It's a real fun blend of fantasy and sci fi

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I think my favourite parts of the Fourth World were the Jimmy Olsen issues.
Not a slight to the New Gods, but I gotta give it up to the comic with the miniature planet (edit: with devil horns) which was populated by tiny draculas and wolfmen because horror movies were continually projected in the clouds or some poo poo.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jun 6, 2017

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Jordan7hm posted:

I have. It just doesn't do it for me. I can recognize the craft but I just don't enjoy it that much. His style is too grotesque for everyday comics. Fantastic Four isn't exactly everyday stuff but it's still superheroes, especially as written by Lee. Give me Ditko and Lee's Spider-Man any day of the week.

I did really like the eternals though. I don't think I've read Kirby's surfer, I should read that next.

My second question is gonna be how far did you get, because it took a bit for me to click with it as well, but I got on board within the first 20ish issues I think. I recognize that's a lot to ask someone to read, especially from before comics became extremely decompressed.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Honestly I think there's a lot to admire in his stuff with Stan Lee etc. but you get the sense that he's increasingly suffocated by other peoples' scripts. When he's allowed more creative control I'm much more enthusiastic about the almost orgiastic weirdness and excess of it. This can falter-- when he returns to Marvel his Captain America and Black Panther are, uh, mixed-- but no other writer would have enabled the grand goofball opera of the 4th World runs.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I'm reading the Fourth World stuff (again) myself too, I just finished the issue of Mister Miracle where Kirby introduces Big Barda. It's pretty interesting how resonant it is in today's political environment, especially the stuff with Glorious Godfrey. Whether that's because this poo poo sadly never goes away or because we're living in Nixon 2.0 or some combo I'm not sure. I know that's kind of a jejune sentiment right now with people in general being all "Trump = Voldemort! We're the Rebels from Star Wars!" but that's what I got out of it.

My favorite thing might be how Darkseid perfectly embodies the banality of evil despite being a cosmic overlord god. He's lounging around in chairs waiting for Orion to get home, wandering around an evil theme park he built being a dick to people for no reason, etc.

I've decided to skip most of the non-Kirby 80s and early 90s Fourth World comics (especially John Byrne's garbage) aside from like maybe the Mark Evanier material and read Walt Simonson's Orion after.

Jordan7hm posted:

Have you checked out Kamandi or OMAC?

Archyduke posted:

Honestly I think there's a lot to admire in his stuff with Stan Lee etc. but you get the sense that he's increasingly suffocated by other peoples' scripts. When he's allowed more creative control I'm much more enthusiastic about the almost orgiastic weirdness and excess of it. This can falter-- when he returns to Marvel his Captain America and Black Panther are, uh, mixed-- but no other writer would have enabled the grand goofball opera of the 4th World runs.

The Kirby/Lee stuff is still good, but uh... in many ways, Lee basically ruined Kirby's comics. He's pretty much an unnecessary middleman.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jun 6, 2017

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Don't skip on Cosmic Odyssey.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

Don't skip on Cosmic Odyssey.

Yeah I forgot about that. I just got the Orion Omnibus and I'm eager to tear into it, that's all. Also, there's the Super Powers comics Kirby did which have some Fourth World connections I think?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/ChelseaCain/status/871945865203560449
https://twitter.com/ChelseaCain/status/871963397893398528
https://twitter.com/ChelseaCain/status/871947065345024001

edit: Author of Mockingbird, fyi.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jun 6, 2017

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Mockingbird is definitely one of those comics that moron Marvel executive told those retailers he thought was killing their sales and were going to put a stop to but totally promised to keep on doing

It was not the best seller but got a lot of attention but I guess Marvel doesn't care about the Eisners at all, since their main audience doesn't either really

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
According to the Eisners website, if you're nominated you're supposed to e-mail Jackie Estrada and she'll get you put onto a VIP table.

I think this is less "Marvel is loving up" and more "The Eisners and the Comic Book Industry At Large is Still Kind of In the Mindset that OF COURSE anyone making comics and potentially up for an Eisner will be at SDCC because everyone goes to SDCC and obviously they know to reach out to the lady who's run the Eisners for the past thirty years, who doesn't know that?"

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Warning that CBR is a garbage website and already spoiled tomorrow's issue of Batman.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Open Marriage Night posted:

Warning that CBR is a garbage website and already spoiled tomorrow's issue of Batman.

Well to be fair, DC did the Marvel thing and broke this to legit new sites like USA Today in order to hype the book. So it would be silly of them not to cover it.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I went to go look at the spoiler because I don't read Batman, and... hmm. I approve of this development.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Did Batman die again?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It's Tom King writing it so yes, bring it on.

E: not Batman dying, that's not what I mean

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Did Batman die again?

No he proposed to Catwoman.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

pubic works project posted:

No he proposed to Catwoman.

I was expecting whatever it was to be really dumb, but that's actually awesome

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
I like this and I trust King.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
In 80 or so years of batman comics that never happened before?

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

got any sevens posted:

In 80 or so years of batman comics that never happened before?

Not on the main Earth. It did happen on Earth-2 pre-Crisis.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Not on the main Earth. It did happen on Earth-2 pre-Crisis.

Alan Brennert wrote some real good comics that happen to deal with this. That Tales of the Batman book with his work is a pro-buy

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.
It'll be great until he makes a deal with the DC Devil to have his old life back in order to save Alfred from terminal cancer.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

joehonkie posted:

It'll be great until he makes a deal with the DC Devil to have his old life back in order to save Alfred from terminal cancer.

Neron is the DC Comics demon who makes deals with superpeople.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Lightning Lord posted:

Neron is the DC Comics demon who makes deals with superpeople.

Seems trustworthy.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

joehonkie posted:

Seems trustworthy.
From what little I remember of that whole event, he kinda shockingly... was? I don't recall him pulling any jerkass moves, people tended to get what they wanted in exchange for their souls.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

CapnAndy posted:

From what little I remember of that whole event, he kinda shockingly... was? I don't recall him pulling any jerkass moves, people tended to get what they wanted in exchange for their souls.

From what I remember about the event from the two books I read (Detective Comics and Robin), he took c-list villains and upped the power levels so superhero status.
Did any of the villains with suped up powers ever appear again after the event, and did any heroes take him up on the offer?

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Madkal posted:

From what I remember about the event from the two books I read (Detective Comics and Robin), he took c-list villains and upped the power levels so superhero status.
Did any of the villains with suped up powers ever appear again after the event, and did any heroes take him up on the offer?

Major Disaster and the reborn Killer Moth. Those are the only two I could think of.

Heroes? Blue Devil I believe.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Madkal posted:

Isn't he why Scarecrow was some kind of Scarebeast at the end of War Games?

If not, can someone tell me why Scarecrow was some kind of Scarebeast at the end of War Games?

redbackground fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jun 7, 2017

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Didn't he empower Phosphorus as well? I seem to remember that from Starman

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

He's also how Lex got his old body back after being stuck in his decaying clone-self that he'd used to fake being his own son, but Lex tricked Necron into getting his soul back somehow.

Comics in the 90s, everybody.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Scaramouche posted:

Didn't he empower Phosphorus as well? I seem to remember that from Starman

Yeah, Neron souped up Dr. Phosphorous' powers in a great issue of Starman that had long-term ramifications: Ted Knight, the elder Starman, ended up developing terminal cancer from his burns and prolonged exposure to Dr. Phosphorous.

The Rogues also got heightened powers from Neron and ended up going to Hell or escaping from Hell or something. I don't have that issue anymore, but I've become such a Rogues mark, I'd like to read it again.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

CapnAndy posted:

He's also how Lex got his old body back after being stuck in his decaying clone-self that he'd used to fake being his own son, but Lex tricked Necron into getting his soul back somehow.

Comics in the 90s, everybody.

Lex is basically the only character where 'tricked the devil to still keep his soul' is something I would totally buy.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

joehonkie posted:

Seems trustworthy.

Deals with the devil are what's best for business.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

redbackground posted:

Isn't he why Scarecrow was some kind of Scarebeast at the end of War Games?

If not, can someone tell me why Scarecrow was some kind of Scarebeast at the end of War Games?

That was the arc just before Under the Red Good or whatever it was called. If I remember correctly one of Scarecrow research assistants experimented on him turning him into that. She turned herself into some new fear based villain who has never been heard of since that arc.
In short, it had nothing to do with Underworld Unleashed or whatever the neron arc was called.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Neron appears in 52 to gently caress with Ralph Dibney and Felix Faust. Think that's the last time he's ever appeared.

He was wearing a snappy suit then too

pubic works project posted:

Heroes? Blue Devil I believe.

IMO that ruined Blue Devil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Neron (along with, and I mean this in the nicest possible way, a remarkable amount of other 1990s detritus) showed up in last year's Apollo & Midnighter mini from Steve Orlando. He's keeping the 1990s Crossover Event flame going in his JLA too, with the return of ~TERRORSMITH~ and the Bloodlines aliens, hot on the heels of Lord Havok & the Extremists. I've got my fingers crossed for Scare Tactics and the Millennium Giants next.

• Locked thread