Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Lazy Bear posted:

You have one too many cyberware.
No I don't. More machine than meat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Yep, Killer starts with two base and then the third is from the move.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Break a human down far enough, and there's still an animal inside. No matter how we dress it up in clothes and houses and corporations and cybernetics and matrix avatars we still want the same things as we did a few short millennia ago before this 'civilization' fad took hold - we want to feed, gently caress, and fight. Try to take one or two of those things away from a human, and you soon find out how good they are at the remainder.

Break a human and leave them for dead when they fight back, and there's still a seed of hate keeps burning. Dump them in an alley with one less arm and a hole in the head where memories of life and family used to be, and they still have hate. Have them picked up by a thrill-kill cult who builds them back into a machine of war for no logical reason, while cutting out more memories. Even beyond death and memory, the hate stays strong

Break a human the wrong way, and sooner or later you'll wish you killed them properly.

KALI
A militaristic cult, a terrorist group, an unregistered PMC, a street gang with delusion of grandeur, a hostile meme proliferating in meatspace... KALI is all this and more. Despite taking the name of a Hindu deity they have no more link to the Delhi sprawl than they do to a thousand other places where violence can be done without restriction by the laws of man. Violence for profit, for ideology, for art, for the love of blood. What drives professionals and amateurs alike into the arms of the notorious society of murder? Become desperate for revenge, meet an enemy you cannot combat fairly, or simply seek advancement by force and you will feel the same urge.

The Killer posted:

Name: Animal
Look: Artificial Eyes, Decorated Face, Muscular Body, Punk Wear, Artificial Skin

Stats:

Cool +0
Edge +1
Meat +1
Mind +0
Style -1
Synth +2

Cybergear:

Accent Technologies Type VIId Enhanced Limb Replacement
Cyberarm, Augmented Strength: +2-harm when using a melee weapon that relies on physical strength.
Why? Prosthetic
How: Hunted - KALI

Vertex Wetware DermImperv
Dermal Plating: When you make the harm move, subtract 2 from your roll. Subtract 3 from your roll if the harm came from a weapon with the +flechette tag.
Why? Necessity - to support the power of the cyberarm

Primal Sports 'Hercules' Integrated Myomer system
Muscle Grafts: When you mix it up with a melee weapon, you may roll Synth instead of Meat and may also inflict +1 harm.
Why? Necessity - to support the power of the cyberarm

Moves:

Custom weapon: Damocles Metallurgy Inc. 'Adamant' (Blade, Weighted, Big (4 damage hand))

More machine than meat: Choose another piece of cyberware at character creation or in downtime. Describe how you got it and paid for it the same as you did your first piece of cyberware.

Gear:

Raptor Security DH Magnum (Classic): Heavy revolver (3-harm close/near reload loud)
Alexei's House of Arms Kalashnikov JR: Assault rifle (3-harm near/far loud autofire)
Boss-Dupont Myrmidon Protective System: Body armour (2-armour)

Directives:

Proselytizing: Describe your belief system. When you persuade others to act according to your beliefs, mark experience.
Seek heaven through violence. Never let a slight go un-avenged. Destroy all enemies beyond their ability to recover.

Network: When your membership in KALI hinders the mission, mark experience.

WIP, but ready to take questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqLRqzTp6Rk

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jun 18, 2017

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels

Tricky posted:

Yep, Killer starts with two base and then the third is from the move.

My bad. The playbooks book says you get one.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Lazy Bear posted:

My bad. The playbooks book says you get one.

Yeah, that's an error in the playbooks, the big book says two.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Aioh is ready to take questions. The addendum log is supposed to make him sound like a Tachikoma who voices post digital philosophical observation in angry teen swearing voice (hence "Yuri Plisetsky") rather than a ten year old girl's voice. Tell me if it's too stupid.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I'm more or less ready too, just need to pick out Directives - TheTofuShop would you mind if I take ones not listed in my Playbook?

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Tevery Best posted:

I'm more or less ready too, just need to pick out Directives - TheTofuShop would you mind if I take ones not listed in my Playbook?

I mean, I did. And even the book says you're not limited.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Tevery Best posted:

yeah, this is okay. sorry y'all I'm typing up a bunch questions for you guys and gals.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

TheTofuShop posted:

yeah, this is okay. sorry y'all I'm typing up a bunch questions for you guys and gals.

Okay, I think I'm done with everything, then.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Viva Miriya posted:

So I have a stat question: should I do Synth -1 or Synth +1? And if I do Synth +1, what should get the -1 since I made a Fixer sheet?

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Viva Miriya posted:

So I have a stat question: should I do Synth -1 or Synth +1? And if I do Synth +1, what should get the -1 since I made a Fixer sheet?
Synth is a bit of an odd stat in that it can be incredibly useful, but only if you build to take advantage of it. To make it worthwhile you need to be able to take advantage of cyberware on at least a couple different checks. As a Fixer, it will take you a while to get there, and you aren't going to get a huge amount of synergy with your other playbook moves/narrative. So I'd do Synth-1.

You can still pick up a fair bit of useful chrome with Synth-1 too. Plenty of 'ware gives you real benefits instead of or alongside allowing you to roll+Synth on certain moves.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Also in other news Shrike should be ready to go.

Would it be okay if she has cyberarms for flavor? No mechanical benefits, and she'd have to go under the knife to replace it with a new one that does have a mechanical benefit.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Synth is a bit of an odd stat in that it can be incredibly useful, but only if you build to take advantage of it. To make it worthwhile you need to be able to take advantage of cyberware on at least a couple different checks. As a Fixer, it will take you a while to get there, and you aren't going to get a huge amount of synergy with your other playbook moves/narrative. So I'd do Synth-1.

You can still pick up a fair bit of useful chrome with Synth-1 too. Plenty of 'ware gives you real benefits instead of or alongside allowing you to roll+Synth on certain moves.

Before the questions come out, Gorbash, any advice for Aioh? The Matrix rules have a lot of Synth rolls, so Synth+2 there is alright, yeah?

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Davin Valkri posted:

Before the questions come out, Gorbash, any advice for Aioh? The Matrix rules have a lot of Synth rolls, so Synth+2 there is alright, yeah?

Honestly the Matrix requires a full array of different skills, Matrix-specific moves use all the Stats other than Style and Meat, and most non-Matrix moves still apply anyway. +2 Synth is definitely not a bad thing, but you should look to add more functionality to it via moves or ware, otherwise it's kind of wasted.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Cornucorpia - "Fresh Food for the Future" - is the definitive agrobusiness megacorp on the world market. After America's fall, and subsequent domino-effect of collapsing countries, massive conglomerates of agricultural, fishing, and beef production were some of the first companies to seize power. Unfortunately for them, the dying gasps of the nation-states took most of these early megacorps with them into the grave. Cornucorpia was one of the few agricultural megas to survive the Corporate Wars. Today, Cornucorpia interests are primarily in genetic engineering, luxury food items, and what remains of the large cattle farms in the Americas. However, their real power comes from their iron-fisted control of the hydroponic megafarms that produce ~65% of the world market share of soy.

fanoptican// - fanoptican// is an internet community and market for idle gossips, voyeurs, and misanthropes who thrive on the suffering of others. For the fanoptican// fanbase, corporate-manufactured celebrity gossip and paparazzi footage isn't enough to satisfy their lust for schaenfruade. With micro-crowdfunding, distributed data nodes, and an ever-vigilant volunteer network engineers, fanoptican// has created a black market venue for all varieties of blackmail, candid film, and ruthless gossip. Over the years fanoptican// has evolved from a loose collection of voyeurs to a thriving economy of illicit information. So many corporate scandals or data leaks have originated from fanoptican// servers that now almost every megacorp has an official broker inside of the organization to buy-off any potential losses of face and to purchase dirt on their competitors.

I'll whip up some corporate logos if I get in the game. :v:

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Changed my character's name because unzealous and I came up with a more thematic one - M.E.Lee.

Tevery Best posted:

Honestly the Matrix requires a full array of different skills, Matrix-specific moves use all the Stats other than Style and Meat, and most non-Matrix moves still apply anyway. +2 Synth is definitely not a bad thing, but you should look to add more functionality to it via moves or ware, otherwise it's kind of wasted.
Agreed, Mind+2 is better than Synth+2 for a hacker unless you chrome up. That being said, the hacker is one of the playbooks that doesn't have to go all-in on 'ware to make Synth+1 more valuable than a +1 in another stat.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Comrade Gorbash posted:

I mainly wanted him to be exceptional with his cybercomms during meets because it had some synth bonus. If it's not worth it it's not worth it then.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Changed my character's name because unzealous and I came up with a more thematic one - M.E.Lee.

Agreed, Mind+2 is better than Synth+2 for a hacker unless you chrome up. That being said, the hacker is one of the playbooks that doesn't have to go all-in on 'ware to make Synth+1 more valuable than a +1 in another stat.

Ah, I see. I wanted to try to differentiate my hacker from the other option on the table, which is why I went Synth +2 over Mind +2. Would it be better to switch them out, or should I switch the extra cyberware for, say, Rep?

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Also in other news Shrike should be ready to go.

Would it be okay if she has cyberarms for flavor? No mechanical benefits, and she'd have to go under the knife to replace it with a new one that does have a mechanical benefit.

Note that the dice results for harm are reversed; low is successful and high is compli
cated. Some of the results of the harm move may look pretty brutal – lost body parts
and broken cyberware! – but remember that these can be replaced and repaired.
Does the character get a simple prosthetic replacement, a cybernetic enhancement,
or adapt to and accept the loss? In The Sprawl, prosthetic replacements are as
functional as the parts they replaced; they don’t count as cyberware for these moves.
Cosmetic cyberware is free.

-Core, page 42.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Davin Valkri posted:

Ah, I see. I wanted to try to differentiate my hacker from the other option on the table, which is why I went Synth +2 over Mind +2. Would it be better to switch them out, or should I switch the extra cyberware for, say, Rep?
The big advantage Mind+2 has for a Hacker is that console cowboy and compromise security key off Mind. As a result, Mind+2 hackers tend to encounter less ICE and thus are less likely to get knocked out, which increases their overall effectiveness. They'll miss more often on Login or Manipulate Systems, but they're more likely to survive the consequences.

The difference isn't huge, but to make up for it you you'll want to be using Synth to help out somewhere else. You also don't have to address it right away at character creation, it's just going to push you into getting more 'ware or Rep earlier, or spending an advance to increase Mind to +2.

In other words, you're just fine to start at Synth+2, but it's going to dictate what you want to do with your advancement choices and early purchases. If getting Rep and buying more 'ware was your plan anyways, then you're solid. If you wanted to do something else, then Mind+2 gives you more leeway to do that.

To be honest the real change I would make is to swap Edge and Meat, and be Edge+1 and Meat+0. Edge gets rolled with Melt Ice, Assess, and Play Hardball, all of which you'll probably use quite a bit (even a dedicated combat character like the Killer probably uses Assess more often than Mix It Up), and since your Synth will either start at or quickly get improved to +2, you'll really benefit from a Tactical Suite and won't need to use Meat to Mix It Up anyways.

------------------------------------------

Talking about Synth for other playbooks...

The trick with Synth is it's not automatically tied to any Basic Moves. You don't get to use it unless you have appropriate cyberware or Custom Moves from your playbook. And since you don't have a lot of either at game start, initially having a +1 or even a +0 in any other Stat is more useful. However, over time, if you add 'ware and pick the right moves, Synth becomes more and more useful. Also, a lot of the ways Synth gets leveraged, it gets added as a bonus.

This means you really want to either start with Synth-1 or Synth+1. Synth+0 means you won't get as much out of building towards Synth and you'll really want to use an advancement at some point to increase it, so it's poor choice no matter what you're doing. If you don't plan on chroming up or picking the Synth leveraging moves, then you're better off leaving it at -1. If you do plan long term to get ware and moves, then Synth+1 gets increasing returns over time. A Soldier, for example, can get a lot out of Synth+1, but you have to make the conscious choice to pursue that build.

Some playbooks really just don't get enough out of Synth to justify putting that -1 anywhere else. Their best cyberware options don't really use Synth, and they don't have Custom Moves to access it. Fixer is a bit like this.

Driver and Hacker are the exceptions in that a Synth+0 can actually make sense for them, and they don't have to commit to building on Synth to make a Synth+1 or even Synth+2 at start worthwhile (though +2 is a bit more limited initially). That's because they do actually get to use Synth for useful moves right off the bat, either via Second Skin while driving or the Matrix Moves. For Driver and Hacker, Synth behaves more like the other stats.

The Killer is also an exception but in a different way. A Killer still needs to commit to getting 'ware to make high Synth worthwhile, but that commitment can pay off immediately in way it doesn't for any other playbook. The reason is that Killers start out heavily chromed and with choices that let them use Synth to fight. A high Synth Killer hits harder than a high Meat Killer; in exchange, they're likely to be a bit less durable. Other playbooks choosing high Synth give away some early advantages to get increasing returns over time. The Killer sees those returns right away.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
It really is an accomplishment for the Sprawl, maybe one of the top accomplishments for a cyberpunk RPG full-stop, that making and playing a Hacker is both easy to figure out and interesting sounding to play. I've never touched a decker in Shadowrun with a ten foot pole, but the Hacker is the playbook that grabbed me from the get-go.

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jun 13, 2017

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

It really is an accomplishment for the Sprawl, maybe one of the top accomplishments for a cyberpunk RPG full-stop, that making and playing a Hacker is both easy to figure out and interesting sounding to play. I've never touched a decker in Shadowrun with a ten foot pole, but the Hacker is the playbook that grabbed me from the get-go.

And create very different hackers at that, since it looks like Ming is all about being very very quiet, and Aioh seems (theoretically) built for very loud break-ins.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

I actually find SR 4/5e hackers pretty easy. Not, like, amazeballs-level interesting, but at the very least easy.

... Then again, I also enjoy playing Anima, so... Grain of salt.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Sorry dudes and dudettes I got hit with some real life poo poo this week so I'll be extending the Recruiting period to Monday, as I have to work in 4 hours and I just got home.

Apologies again. I'll have questions and junk up tomorrow. (today?)

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

TheTofuShop posted:

Sorry dudes and dudettes I got hit with some real life poo poo this week so I'll be extending the Recruiting period to Monday, as I have to work in 4 hours and I just got home.

Apologies again. I'll have questions and junk up tomorrow. (today?)

Hey man. You ain't gotta be sorry if you got poo poo going on. Its been 48 hours since you posted this so I'm guessing you have way more stuff going on. If you can handle running a game, I'd love to play a part in it, but if work/life won't allow you the proper headspace to relax and be creative then there's no sense in forcing it. Do what is best for you at the end of the day.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

j/k lol, just lol if ur bettering urself rather than running games on the internet

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

What's the word?

Totally understand if you got buried by work, that's how my week has gone too.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Game dead?

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

goons don't know how to communicate apparently so lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

so what