Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

The fabled Yawning Portal.

A typical day when less than busy.

And a typical bar brawl.

You recently arrived once more at the fabled Yawning Portal still fresh from your most recent adventure. Filled with victory, and clinking with coin and with a tale to tell. The few patrons in the bar at the hour greet you with varying levels of enthusiasm. And though the composition of the bar's patrons has a tendency to all kinds your group still draws attention.

Now it is time for you to get yourselves some refreshment, spend some coin and regale the tavern with tales of your adventure.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay time for everyone to post what they are doing, any tales of your previous adventure you want to put out, and link your character sheets.

You can include inner commentary on your feelings about your fellow party members if you want.

Current Party

pre:
Player		Character		Race		Class		Archetype	Role	Sheet?	Bio?
ritorix		Feng Shen		Tiefling	Mystic		Wu-Jen		Support	Yes	Yes
8one6		Dalzranorth		Dragon		Dragon 		???		DPS	Yes	Yes
Punting		Zemo Winterborn		Corgi		Paladin		Ancients	Tank	Yes	Yes
Mykkel		Erdan Pashala		Half-Elf	Bard		Lore		Support	Yes	Yes
Fathis Munk	Guzzler			Kenku		Monk		???		DPS	Yes	Yes
Relentless	Crushclaw Elfeater	Bugbear		Fighter 	Monster Hunter	DPS	Yes	Yes
General Discord channel for the game, with sub channels for ic and ooc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Dalzranorth the Fierce, Dragon adventurer.

"...so there we are, top level of the keep, lightning flashing as the storm raged around us, and the mercenary says 'give up the crate and I'll let the rest of you monsters walk away with your lives!'" Dalzranorth said, stopping to drink from the rather large bowl of mead he had ordered when they arrived at the Yawning Portal. "Or at least, that's what they told me he said. I was still circling overhead in the storm, so I may have missed a detail or two. I'm sure Erdan or Feng can add anything I missed. I could see Bugsy on one side of the crate and Zemo was on the other. Someone said something I missed because of the clap of thunder, but the mercenary and his gang backed off. We waited until morning as agreed and the wizard came back for the box." Taking another drink a slight look of confusion crosses his face. "You know, I never did find out what was in the box. Hey Guzzler, do you know?"

Dalzranorth is just excited to be back at the tavern, telling the tale of his first *real* adventure to anyone who will listen. Having left the gnome village that had been his home only two weeks ago he was thrilled to have already made some new friends. "Try the tavern," his adopted father had told him, "... all great adventurers start in a tavern."

Zemo the paladin reminds him a lot of the captain of the village guard back home, always more concerned with protecting others.
Feng Shen is always has an answer to a question, no matter how esoteric.
Bugsy's creepy, but is an awesome sort of way.
Erdan has a great story for almost any occasion.
Guzzler is always happy to share a good drink.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jun 4, 2017

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Feng Shen

"You really don't want to know what was in that box."

Feng daintily sips at his tea. The old tiefling is sitting ramrod-straight, his other hand rotating between smoothing his lengthy white beard, adjusting his eyeglasses, and tapping on the teacup. The old goat had a scholarly look to him, one not so suited to adventurous pursuits.

Truth be told, he had the time of his life on their little adventure. This was perhaps the second weirdest gathering he had been in, barring one memorable Sensate after-party in Sigil. It was a funny story, really... (Feng spends the next 5 minutes lost in thought, smiling slightly).

Zemo looks like what happens when a gnoll takes a vacation to Mount Celestia.
Bugsy was probably going to kill them all.
Erdan is
such a prime. He's in way over his head.
Guzzler is amusing, but has "first to die" written all over him.
Dalzranorth is the real attraction here, he could be useful in time; dragons grow up. He'll probably want more gold than his share, though.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Bugsy

"Who cares, we got paid, and nobody is missing any limbs."

Bugsy takes a long drink of some particularly cheap ale, and then turns to small dog sitting next to him.

"I just want to know why they listened to you. Four feet of fuzzy nothing carrying a toothpick, and they just packed up and left because you asked them nicely?"

Without waiting for an answer, he gets up and heads over to the bar for another mug.

Zemo seems far too confident for such a little creature, he's going to get himself hurt.
Erdan talks too much, which suits Bugsy just fine. He can watch and listen while everyone pays attention to the elf.
Guzzler has split a bottle between them, which might mean he's Bugsy's best friend.
Dalzranorth is scary. Bugsy is used to being the biggest guy in the room.
Feng Shen is either an incredibly useful resource, or an evil mastermind who is going to make a giant fuzzy feathered scaly flesh golem out of the rest of the party.

Relentless fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jun 7, 2017

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Erdan Pashala, Bard.

"I still think it was wierd how light that crate was. If Bugsy hadn't sat on it, I think it would have blown away in the storm."

Erdan is picking at his lute. "Wierd how that storm came out of nowhere. . . So I was thinking, maybe we get a name if we are going to continue
to go out a heroing together. "

Zemo - Noble. Not a Waterdeep noble, but a noble all the same. He did pitch in in the storm though.
Feng Shen - One to be careful around, he'll probably be the first to sell us out for power.
Bugsy - definitely dangerous, but so far the right type of dangerous. Not sure the merc would have backed off without Bugsy.
Dalzranorth - Are you kidding me, a freaking dragon with what appears to be gnomish values. Stick with him and the songs will write themselves.
Guzzler - Another story I can not wait to learn. between the 2 of us, we can put on a great music show, if we get low on coins.

Mykkel fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jun 5, 2017

Punting
Sep 9, 2007
I am very witty: nit-witty, dim-witty, and half-witty.

Zemo Winterborn

"I'm personally quite glad I don't know what was in that crate - anything that stinks like that isn't something I want to know about."

Like the old tiefling at his left, the Corgi favored tea tonight - he'd grown to appreciate both the flavor and the alertness a strong brew could give on the long, wooded roads from his homeland. Here in the tavern, he relaxed in traveling clothes, armor and sword under a squire's careful watch while he reflected on this newest adventure - or he would reflect, if not for some rather blunt questioning.

"Well, you see, I....uh. Well. Buggeration, why'd he even ask if he's just going to walk off." he grumbled, and turned to Erdan. "Not a bad thought, lad. Though the imagination staggers somewhat trying to figure out what sort of name might encompass a lively band of unlikely fellows like us," he said, half-teasing.

He took a hearty sip of his drink, and flagged down one of the servers. "Something hot, if you please - soup, if you have it, and enough for the table, thank you." Pause. "...perhaps a double helping for our bugbear and dragon companions."

Feng Shen is a surprise - the scholarly, otherworldy air about him almost makes him seem like one of the fey. Clearly, whatever Zemo thought he knew about Tieflings is in dire need of expansion and revision.
Dalzanorth reminds him of more than a few gnomes he's met - but with that fierce edge he expected from a dragon. Definitely someone worth fighting alongside - and to share a drink and a tale with after!
Bugsy....makes the paladin uneasy. Not enough to avoid adventuring with him, but enough to recognize that there was some danger and darkness there to keep an eye on.
If Feng Shen reminded him of something fey, Guzzler absolutely does; any one of a thousand tales of strange warriors and wandering heroes could easily fit him right in. Far enough outside his experience that he's just glad the Kenku is friendly.
Erdan is a delight - no adventuring group is complete without a trained bard! And...well, it probably helped that at least one of them wouldn't get any strange looks passing through towns.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Guzzler

"What's in the box?" Guzzler says in an unfamiliar, distraught voice.They were starting to be pleasantly buzzed.

Thu-thump, thu-thump, thu-thump, they mimic the [sound of a beating heart] before shrugging, cawing loudly and taking another long drink of their ale. Guzzler wasn't really sure what a mage might want with such an item but then again Guzzler knew that mages were strange people with strange ideas and that their own imagination was much more limited.

"[Bugsy's roar] Hey pass the booze!" they yelled to the bugbear as Bugsy was ordering a new drink. It was the exact same deep voice that they had used when they had first set foot in the tavern and ordered their first drink. It really was not that long ago but now that Guzzler had a flock again, it seemed like a different life. Their thoughts were quickly brought back to the present upon hearing that Zemo was ordering food.

"Not a bad thought lad." Guzzler said to Zemo in the corgi's own voice, his beak opened in his usual jovial grin.

As for the name of their party, Guzzler didn't have the faintest clue. Maybe "The party of Adventurers" ? But he figured that might be a tad lacking in the creativity department.

Dalzranorth was amazing! He knew the secret of flight! Guzzler had not yet dared ask him about it. Besides, Dalzranorth had wings, so those probably helped.
Feng Shen knew many things and sometimes knowledge was power. Like knowing how to fly. Without even having wings!!!
Bugsy was a great companion for both drinking and hitting things.
Erdan Pashala had a lot of creativity and that was a good thing because Guzzler had none. It's always good to have someone that produces ideas.
Zemo was fluffy and a knight. People tended to follow knights so Guzzler figured they have to be good leaders.

I plan to use [brackets] to denote the sounds Guzzler mimics since that's a big part of Kenku communication. Instead of using the name Bugsy he uses the bugbear's roar, for example.

8one6
May 20, 2012

"Soup sounds excellent! And perhaps a roast chicken or four." After a brief pause Dalzranorth adds "And maybe chicken for the others as well. So six chickens? That should... that should be enough, right? After the meal lets talk about our next adventure. Or a quest. Are we too new a group to quest?" [looking unsure] "Do we need a name to quest?"

8one6 fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jun 4, 2017

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Bugsy returns, popping up next to next to Dalzranorth quietly and suddenly, his new ale already half gone.

"You don't need a name to quest, you need a reason. You need a name to get work, and get paid, and buy more chickens. Or turkeys. Or rocs, if you get as big as the stories say."

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Feng Shen

"An ideal name for our group would serve as both advertisement of our goals and values. Where I come from, groups are formed based on their shared ideas, a unifying thought behind their existence. I believe our group has one, as well, a shared ideal based on our very nature."

Feng takes another sip of tea and adjusts his eyeglasses.

"Our diversity gives us strength, and it defines us. We are ambassadors, if you will, of our respective races to the good people of Waterdeep. Our name might reflect that; perhaps the 'Envoys Extraordinaire' or, to add some local color, 'Yawning Portal Envoys Extraordinaire', abbreviated YPEE ." [Yipee!]

He takes another sip. It's hard to tell if he's serious or not.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Dalzranorth

"I like it!"

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
The mood in the tavern picks up as the party settles in, to various degrees of settle, and begin to regale the patrons with tales of their adventure. A few catcalls break the flow on occasion, some laughter, some whistling. But for the most part the patrons listen to the tale. It is part of the charm of the Yawning Portal after all. On occasion someone will get up and leave, off to their lives or some job. And just as occasionally someone will arrive. Most stop to take a look at the group, which is a bit unusual even for the Yawning Portal. But most are used to the unusual and just get on with their drinking. A few times through the story everyone stops as some adventurer or another takes up the courage to pay the gold to go down into the yawning portal itself.

About halfway through the story a cloaked figure enters, stops to stare at the dragon, the bugbear, and the dogman. And then at a few others. They continue on to a table, order some ale, and listen intently. They periodically stare at the group, but nearly as often they seem to be staring at some other adventurers. As the party's story winds down the cloaked figure gets up and timidly approaches your table.

"Ex. . excuse me. Y-you are adventurers right? From your story? You are for hire?"

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Erdan Pashala

"We are indeed. Please have a seat, and share with us your troubles. "

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
"Thank you." The figure hesitantly answers, then takes the offered chair. He shies away from the bugbear when the two get a little too close, close inspection can show that his hands are shaking a bit. He takes a few deep breaths, trying to calm himself.

"I..uh my name is Michael, and uh I come from Oakhurst. I am just a simple merchant, but I uh I work for Kerowyn."

He pauses, then continues. "Oh you might not know her. Uh Kerowyn Hucrele. She is the matriarch of the Hucrele merchant family. She is rather important around here. They are an important family."

He pauses again, takes a few more breaths as he tries to recollect his thoughts.

"Well, a month ago, pretty close now, a group of adventurers delved into the fabled Sunless Citadel nearby. They were never heard of again. Ah."

He reaches up into his hood, rubbing the back of his neck, briefly revealing a rather plain and nervous face.

"Now the reason this is important is well, uh, two uh two of them were Talgen and Sharwyn. Um oh yeah uh Talgen and Sharwyn Hucrele, son and daughter to Kerowyn. So you can see how she is concerned. Um she gave me permission to look for adventurers to brave the Sunless Citadel, and to retrieve them."

He pauses, blanches, gulps and stammers out. "O.o.o.r uh at least their signet rings.if...if they didn't make it."

Another pause. Some deep breaths to calm himself. "You seem like powerful adventurers!? I.I mean you got a dragon and some kind of monstrous beast and and and uh I am so sorry don't eat me!"

Obviously he is having trouble maintaining composure but he eventually gets out..."Of course I understand even adventurers may not want to brave the Sunless Citadel for free. So I have been authorised to tell you that she offers 125 gold per person, per signet ring retrieved. Of course if you can bring back Talgen and Sharwyn alive, and of good mind and body, she would double the reward."

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

Erdan Pashala

"Peace friend, my comrades do not dine upon sentient flesh, We maybe a diverse group, but we prefer ale and mutton to men with job offers. I"m sure my friends have questions for you. . ."

Punting
Sep 9, 2007

Zemo

In the end, the Corgi doesn't contribute too much to the tale, save for the parts he actually played, and at one point some eerie howling for dramatic effect (all good tales need a little embellishment now and again, after all).

That changes once the stranger approaches the table; the little knight certainly does have some questions!

"Indeed, I do have a few questions. Such as, why us? Certainly, we're a formidable-seeming group, but we hardly have much of a reputation around the place - as a group, that is - so you're just going off appearances here." he pointed out. "And what where they headed there for? Some ancient treasure in need of digging up - or some foe in need of vanquishing? It might be quite helpful to know if they expected to receive trouble on the way."

Pause.

"...And of course, last of all but certainly not least, which way to the Citadel? I might have some questions about the whole thing, but I can hardly leave fellow adventurers in peril, after all!"

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
The man looks a bit worried, from the flashes of face beneath the hood, "uh you don't have much of a reputation? Ah well I don't know a lot of adventurers and your group looks," an audible gulp, "rather terrifying. No offence. While it is true that the Sunless Citadel is rumored to have all kinds of incredible treasure, which of course you could keep, their group actually entered in seaarch of the fruit."

Seeing looks of confusion he continues. "Ah well that may not sound right. There is a goblin tribe infesting the ruins, every midsummer they arrive in Oakhurst and sell a single fruit. We generally pay 50 gold for the fruit, as that is the most we are willing to part with to goblins. The fruit is clearly magical. It looks like an apple of perfect hue. And when one takes a bite of it heals the one who eats of it, curing any diseases or other maladies. It is quite remarkable. In the past we have tried planting the seeds within, but every year when the saplings grow to about two feet or so, they are stolen. We don't know how, or even really why, though we assume it is to maintain sole control of the fruit. Talgen and Sharwyn. along with their party, entered the Citadel in search of the fruit, and answers to the mystery.?

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Feng Shen

Feng barely resists the impulse to elbow Zemo in the side when the dog asks "Why us?"

Now the Sunless Citadel, that sounds interesting. Feng's mind wanders a bit as he remembers bits of information about just such a place...

history of the citadel: 1d20+5 22

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Bugsy

Bugsy grins widely, showing his crooked fangs and scoots closer to Michael, putting his arm around his shoulders.

"Of course we'll rescue... Tellgan and... Sher...wood. But, there should be some payment up front, for... supplies! And tonight's meal! Can't go on an adventure with an empty stomach!"

Intimidate: @Relentless (Crushclaw): 1d20+3 = (18)+3 = 21

Relentless fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jun 7, 2017

8one6
May 20, 2012

Dalzranorth

"The Sunless Citaadel... Wait," He turns to Feng "wasn't that a Cult of the Dragon stronghold?"

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
The man begins trembling violently. "Wh.wa.uh...hah..hah..ha. Uh I uh I wasn't given any kind of um initial payment." He begins panting heavily, and those with a keen ear or sense of smell may notice the slight sound of trickling liquid, or the smell of ammonia. He closes his eyes. "P.please don't eat me!"

He then reaches toward his belt and fumbles about for a bit before finally retrieving a coin pouch. He attempts to open it, to no avail, until it finally splits and sends tumbling his entire fortune. Seven copper pieces, four silver pieces and a single gold coin. They scatter and roll about the table. The man finally gives up and puts his arms down on the table and his head upon them, sobbing.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Bugsy

A roar cuts above the din of the crowd: "ANOTHER ROUND OF ALE AND TEA!"

Relentless fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jun 7, 2017

Punting
Sep 9, 2007

Zemo

The Corgi and leans over to provide a comforting pat on the back, sighing dramatically all the while. "There there, let it all out, it'll be alright. Have yourself one of these nice bowls of soup and some chicken and we'll send you up to recover in a nice warm bed. Doesn't that sound lovely?"

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Guzzler

"Who care, we got paid, and nobody is missing any limbs!" Guzzler says with Bugsy's voice as they throw their arm around the man in drunken congeniality. It wasn't quite what they wanted to say, but close enough. They grab an empty mug and pour some of their ale into it. Just a little though, Guzzler was ready to share it with this desperate husk of a man but it was still their ale.

[Hahahaha], the innkeeper's raucous laughter, a well known sound here at the Yawning Portal, erupted from Guzzler's beak as they offered the mug to the newcomer.

Finally a plan that involved heading into the depths!

8one6
May 20, 2012

Dalzranorth

"We should let this man sleep off the stress of the road and then we can head out in the morning!" Dalzranorth says, excited to already be on another adventure.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Feng Shen

Nodding to the dragon, Feng says, "Indeed it was once Cult territory, and though I doubt any remain from that time, there is no telling what might now reside in such a place. The Cult of the Dragon has quite the bizarre history, and they desired to capture members of your kind in order to fulfill an ancient prophecy."

'And naught will be left save shattered thrones with no rulers. But the dead dragons shall rule the world entire...'

Snorting after reciting the bit of ancient lore, Feng continues.

"And so they sought to create and control undead dragons. It was all quite an amusing mistranslation of the Chronicle of Years to Come, which actually says, I quote, 'And naught will be left save shattered thrones, with no rulers but the dead. Dragons shall rule the world entire..."

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Bugsy

Bugsy snorts and laughs, loudly.

"It's just goblins! Runty lil bastards are mean, but we're bringing a dragon of our own! And he ain't even dead, neither!"

He takes a moment to size Dalzranorth up, finishing his umpteenth mug before clasping the bronze dragon's shoulder.

"Hey, Dal, I bet you I can kill more goblins 'den you can!"

8one6
May 20, 2012

Dalzranorth

Dalzranorth tilts his thinking about it and grins "5 gold says you're on!"

8one6 fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jun 7, 2017

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Bugsy

"Only 5? Yer on!"

After briefly trying to figure out how to shake hands with a dragon, Bugsy claps Dalzranorth on the shoulder again.

Punting
Sep 9, 2007

Zemo

"If we're betting, I'll throw in. You might get the most - but ten coins says I'll get the first blood." the little corgi tosses out with a smirk.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
The man cries for some time before taking Zemo up on his offer. He fearfully eats some soup and goes up to get cleaned up and rest. The night passes excitedly and the group eventually settles in for some sleep.

In the morning the man passes on directions to both the Sunless Citadel and Oakhurst, in case the party was unfamiliar with their locations. He then leaves, hoping to avoid the bugbear.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Dalzranorth

"Good morning everyone! Should we just hit the road? Do we need supplies? I travel light, but I'm new at this? My father mentioned that he never used to go anywhere without..." [Dalzranorth puts on a more serious tone] "... a shovel, a bag of marbles, and a ten foot pole." He grins again and shifts back to his normal tone" Anyway once the wainwright stopped yelling 'Sweet Helm a dragon!' I was able to rent a cart and horse for us. Well, for the royal us. I mean you all. I never learned how to ride a horse and the wagon's not that big."

Punting
Sep 9, 2007

Zemo

The corgi makes sure to leave a few coins behind in the room for the shaken fellow; hopefully enough to get him home, at least.

In the morning he takes a good long while to get ready; brushed, flossed, floofed and armored, which takes a while even with the help of a squire (who would, in no uncertain terms, not be going with them to adventure, obviously, so it behooved him to prepare as much as possible today). Once armored and armed, he joins the company in time to catch Dalzanorth's cheerful good morning greeting.

"Ah, good thinking, friend. Never a bad idea to plan ahead on an adventure!" he said, all grins. "We should probably stock up on dry rations and beer; food and fresh water aren't always easy to find on the trail, and we should consider tents if we don't already have one."

He of course was well-prepared, with his own cart and riding mastiff, but it never hurt to be extra-prepped!

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Bugsy

In spite of everyone's expectations, Bugsy is surprisingly chipper as he steps out of his room in the morning, humming something vague and out of tune. His chainmail, while not exactly polished, is clean, his mess of black hair is slicked back, the warhammer at his side is shining brightly. His pack has the standard bedroll on top, but also has a crowbar tied to the side, a heavy pair of manacles dangling from it, several holy symbols from various gods tied to it, and a small vial of water with the symbol of Bahumut drawn onto it in gold ink.

Keeping in line with his image, however, he immediately beelines for the bar. The morning bartender soon has a breakfast beer in front of Bugsy, and a few minutes later emerges from the back with a dozen loaves of bread and several other large packages wrapped in paper. A refill for the bugbear, and another few minutes pass, and he comes back with a small travel keg, and two bottles and adds them to the pile. Bugsy drops a fistful of coins on the counter, and starts packing up the wagon.

"Alright, pup, I've got rations for a week for everyone, and a few extra chickens for Dal, beer for me, and a couple bottles to celebrate with, or burn something down. I'm gonna go grab us a couple of tents, and let's get to work."

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

Erdan Pashala

Erdan comes down in the morning, wearing a weathered cloak that probably started out blue, but is now just a dull gray over weathered studded leather shirt, and wool leggings.
A rapier at his right hip, a brown backpack with a bed roll beneath it on his back, and his lute slung over his left shoulder.

"Sorry I'm late, thank you Bugsy and Dalzranorth for provisioning for the expedition."

This is exciting, rescuing 2 lost souls, and an abandoned citadel to explore, the secrets we might find, the stories to be told afterward. Wait, did Zemo say riding mastiff?

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Guzzler

As the common room comes to life with his companions waking up, Guzzler slowly open their eyes. Raising their head tells them they were comfortably sprawled across yesterday night's table, as they usually were in the morning. After spending a moment taking in the situation, they deftly flip around on the table, landing on their back and catching their flute with their beak. It was time to greet the new day with a nice, calming melody from back home.

Guzzler lost themselves in their music for a while, leaving the others to plan and strategize. They would follow along as they usually did, they were more comfortable this way. As the final note rings out, Guzzler hangs the flute back onto their wanderer's staff before heading towards the bar and purchasing the biggest cask of wine they could carry with them, and a bottle for the road. Cheap wine, it would do just fine.

Cask craddled in their arms, staff balanced on their shoulder and bottle firmly gripped in their beak, Guzzler swaggers back towards the rest of the party.

"Yipee." They exclaim in Feng's voice before tilting their head backwards and taking a big swig.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Feng Shen

Feng comes down in the early morn in a bathrobe, polishing his horns with some sort of ointment. They glisten a bit.

"Oh, is it already time to head out? One moment, these beauties don't maintain themselves."

It takes at least another hour before he's ready to go.

"Alrighty! Let's be on with it!"

8one6
May 20, 2012

Dalzranorth

[Dalzranorth walks beside the cart as they hit the road] "So are we going to the town first or are we headed straight for the Citadel? I vote for the Citadel. I've a bet to win!"

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
It seems no one feels like arguing with a dragon. And so the group agrees to head straight for the Sunless Citadel, though their path will take them past Oakhurst. As the Sunless Citadel is about seven miles to the other side of Oakhurst. The group prepares, and then heads out still fairly early in the morning. The journey won't be a long one, but it will still take a few days to arrive.

Luckily the trip proves rather uneventful. At least this time no bandits attacked the group, no wild animals or ferocious monsters. And so as the third day dawns the group finds themselves passing Oakhurst. They travel the Old Road leading from Oakhurst to the Sunless Citadel. A worn and overgrown road that travels through rocky downs, near stands of old-growth oak, and past abandoned farms. A few hours after they pass Oakhurst they near a ravine, from the looks of it it appears to be the one Michael had told them about with his directions.

The Old Road passes to the east of a narrow ravine. At the road's closest approach to the cleft, several broken pillars jut from the earth where the ravine widens. Two of the pillars stand straight, but most lean atop sloped earth. Others are broken, and several have apparently fallen into the dark depths. A few similar pillars are visible on the opposite side of the ravine.

A sturdy, knotted rope is tied to one of the leaning pillars on this side of the ravine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

Dalzranorth

[Dalzranorth edges up to the edge and peers into the darkness below]

"That's... pretty deep. It looks like I should be able to fly down." [He turns to the rest of the group, grinning widely, and speaks quickly and excitedly] "How do we want to do this? I could fly down to the bottom while the rest of you climb down the rope. You know, secure the basecamp. Or, would this be the base camp, because we're leaving the cart and animals here for now? Also, Guzzler and Zemo, how much do each of you weigh? Because I might be able to take you down with me."

[He catches his breath]

"Anyway, what do you all think?"

• Locked thread