Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«3 »
  • Post
  • Reply
8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of awesome.

Dalzranorth

"Don't worry Meepo, I'm sure Calcryx will be fine. We actually came here because of the goblins. Do you know where we can find them?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Sunless Citadel

15. Dragon Cell

The kobold whimpering slows and he squeaks out "Meepo don't know, but Yusdrayl does. Meepo take you to meet Yusdrayl, our leader, if you make nice. You get safe passage, if you promise to make nice. Maybe if you promise to rescue dragon, Yusdrayl make nice to you, answer questions."

Reminder the Roll20 is Here

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette



Feng Shen
10HP 3/4 PSI


Turning to his companions, Feng raises an eyebrow to impressive height.

"I'm not sure that chasing a dragon will lead us to our missing locals. I fear we are about to go down the proverbial rabbit hole, such as it is."

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!




Bugsy

"On the other hand, don't look a gift... lizardthing in the mouth?"

Bugsy shrugs and sets the kobold down in front of Dal.

"Or something like that."

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Sunless Citadel

15. Dragon Cell

Meepo looks at you all, his sniffling mostly gone, and questions. "Meepo take to Yusdrayl?"

Reminder the Roll20 is Here

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of awesome.

Dalzranorth

"It may be a dead end, but we do think the goblins had something to do with the disappearances. If the kobolds know something it wouldn't hurt to listen to them, would it?"

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Sunless Citadel

15. Dragon Cell

As a general consensus seems to be made, more or less, Meepo nods and begins leading you deeper into the underground building. As he leads you forth he occasionally shouts a word in draconic, "Ticklecorn!"

19. HALL OF DRAGONS

A double row of relief-carved marble columns march the length of this long, large hall. The worn carvings depict entwining dragons. Three more impressive looking kobolds patrol this hall, but do not attack as you approach. They look at Dalzranorth with mixed looks of awe and fear.

Meepo continues down the hall.

21. DRAGON THRONE

A short throne stands near the west wall, constructed of fallen bits of masonry stacked against an old altar. On the top of the altar sit a variety of small items. The portion of the altar that serves as the throne's back features a carving of a rearing dragon. A metallic key is held firmly in the dragon's open jaws.

Sitting atop the throne is a robed kobold, a ring upon her finger, she looks at the party with curiosity. She is flanked by two more of the more impressive looking kobolds.

Reminder the Roll20 is Here

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of awesome.

Dalzranorth

[Dalz bows slightly and In Draconic speaks] "We bid you greetings, leader of the kobolds, and wish to speak of many things."

[returning to common] "My friends and I have come to the citadel seeking missing persons, and your fellow kobold Meepo has told us some of your troubles with the goblins. Can you tell us more?"

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Sunless Citadel

21. DRAGON THRONE

The kobold sits back nodding to Dalzranorth. "Oh great dragon. I, Yusdrayl greet you. I ask your name, if you will honor me with it."

She waits a moment for a response then continues. She starts out with a worried tinged voice, that grows to hatred.

"The Outcast, he lives below. He grows the fruit, which he gives to the goblins. The dragon-thieving goblins are his servants!"

She slowly calms down, catching her breath and leaning back against her throne before she continues with the other question.

"They went to fight the goblins and never returned."

Reminder the Roll20 is Here

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of awesome.

Dalzranorth

[Dalz puffs up a bit] "I am Dalzranorth the fierce! Protector of Valcryn'trawin'merxim! My friends and I are the Yawning Portal Envoys Extraordinaire."

[He listens to her speak about "The Outcast", sending a questioning look at Feng, but nods as she finishes her story. In a richer tone that's obviously modeled on someone important Dalz speaks] "If they went below we will need to follow. I promise you we will do all we can to return Calcryx to you."

Dalzranorth is so completely out of his element right now. He's seen negotiations go bad, they're surrounded, and with their poor showing against the giant rats he's not sure they can win a fight. He's trying to do his best impressions of his adopted father and the leader of his village's militia.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Sunless Citadel

21. DRAGON THRONE

The kobold looks into the dragon's eyes, a feat few kobold would likely be able to do and after a moment of thought nods. "If you return Calcryx to us. I shall
grant you a reward. Meepo can accompany you if you desire."

Reminder the Roll20 is Here

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette


Feng whispers "You're doing great! You are like a god to them."

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of awesome.

Dalzranorth

"We would be glad to have a guide." [Dalzranorth goves a slight bow and in Draconic] "Your graciousness honors us, most esteemed one. [Dalz glances at the other members of the group but it doesn't appear anyone has anything else to add so he straightens up.]

"So... Could you show us the way Meepo?"

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Sunless Citadel

21. DRAGON THRONE

The kobold nods regally, and gestures to Meepo to lead you on. Meepo actually looks well happy. Pleased at the prospect of getting back Calcryx, assuming that you actually will be doing so, his spirits have risen.

He bows to his leader, then turns to you. "Follow Meepo! Meepo lead the way! Back way!" Then he begins to head back the way you come, leading to a door that you had not checked into a hallway and an

25. EMPTY CHAMBER

This empty chamber is home only to rat droppings, crumbled flagstone, and stains.

"Here! This is back way into goblin lair."

Once the door is opened ...

26. DRY FOUNTAIN

Dust and odd bits of stony debris and rubble lie scattered on the floor. An ornate fountain is built into the eastern wall. Though cracked and stained, the fountain's overarching carving of a diving dragon retains its beauty. A relief-carved stone door stands on the western wall.

Reminder the Roll20 is Here

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at Jun 24, 2017 around 05:20

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of awesome.

Dalzranorth

[Dalz inspects the relief on the western wall] "'Rebuke the dead, open the way' Hmmm... Anybody have any thoughts? I'm guessing it's a riddle."


[In Draconic] "I rebuke the undead!"
[in Draconic] "The Undead are awful!"
[In Draconic] "The undead are dumb. And they smell like butts. And their butts are dumb. And their butts smell like butts."


--[Transcribed from the roll20 session--

Bugsy
"Are... you okay?"

Dalzranorth
"Just trying something."

Ryuujin (GM) : nothing happens, except Meepo, and anyone else who understands Draconic, looks at you funny

8one6 (Dalzranorth): "Other than the air around the door being colder, nothing"

Relentless (Crushclaw): "You're talking to a door."

8one6 (Dalzranorth): "And it refuses to answer. Find anything with the fountain?"

Relentless (Crushclaw): "It's a little slimy."

[Dalz examines the fountain]

Ryuujin (GM): you notice a mostly worn-away inscription in Draconic on the basin's front. It reads, "Let there be fire."

8one6 (Dalzranorth): "'Let there be Fire'... Hey Guzzler, can I see your torch for a second? Hey crushclaw, can you try to apply the fire from the torch to the basin?"

Relentless (Crushclaw): "Sure."

Relentless (Crushclaw): i'll borrow Guzzler's torch and wave it around the fountain and poke at the scum with the torch.

8one6 (Dalzranorth): [In Draconic] "Let there be fire"

Relentless (Crushclaw): "are you gonna make a habit of speaking draconic to inanimate objects in this place?"

8one6 (Dalzranorth): "Likely yes."

Ryuujin (GM): Reddish liquid begins to well from the diving dragon's mouth, slowly accumulating in the basin.

8one6 (Dalzranorth): "Well, that's something. I'm not sure what, but it's something."

Relentless (Crushclaw): "You've got creepy dragon powers. Grats"

8one6 (Dalzranorth): "Tasting it seems like a bad idea, right?"

Relentless (Crushclaw): "Probably. Why don't we ask our ancient wisened mystic friend?"

Relentless (Crushclaw): ...[dips his pinky claw in it, just a little bit.]

Ryuujin (GM): it feels like hot sauce? You don't lose your pinky if that is what you are worried about

8one6 (Dalzranorth): "So it's not acid "and it smells like..." [sniffs deeply] "... My aunt's red pepper sauce? That's weird""

Relentless (Crushclaw): [tastes it.]

Ryuujin (GM): you feel a little tiny bit of warmth go down, but your taste does not seem to be enough to get the full kick

Relentless (Crushclaw): "It's hot sauce? But not like... the hottest sauce? Do dragons have a thing about hot sauce that I don't know about?'
"I have not heard any legends of a secret dragon hot sauce fountain."

8one6 (Dalzranorth): "I enjoy hot sauce. I can only assume other dragons do as well"

Ryuujin (GM): a little curl of smoke comes from one of your nostrils

Relentless (Crushclaw): "I think i might have lit my insides on fire a little bit."

Ryuujin (GM): but in a good way
you give a little belch and a tiny flame shoots out
and the warmth is gone

8one6 (Dalzranorth): [Stares in shock and awe.] [ O_O ]

Relentless (Crushclaw): "Am I part dragon now?"

8one6 (Dalzranorth): "You still look like a bugbear"

EDIT: Formatting

8one6 fucked around with this message at Jun 24, 2017 around 06:34

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!




Bugsy

Bugsy stands there, thinking, smelling the smoke he just exhaled. After a moment he takes off his pack and starts rummaging through it.

"I could be wrong, as it's happened before, but I think... Dammit. No bottles."

He looks up at Dalz. "How do you feel about breathing fire instead of acid?"

Without waiting for an answer, he takes his waterskin (well, beerskin) and drains it in one long, long drink. He dips the empty skin into the red liquid, letting it fill up. As he pulls it out, the fountain drains all the excess liquid, leaving an empty fountain once again. The waterskin is actively giving off wisps of smoke as it's closed off.

"I'd better be right about this, and not just running out of beer for no reason. But I think we can breath fire with this."

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012


Erdan Pashala

Erdan can't help giggling as he watches a bugbear breathe fire. "Bugsy, I think you are correct, that does appear to be a liquid to create fire breath. "

Erdan looks around the room carefully, his eyes stopping at a curious slot in the ceiling above the door.

"I wonder what that slot above the door is for? Feng, any chance you have seen that in your studies?"

Mykkel fucked around with this message at Jun 24, 2017 around 20:20

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of awesome.

Dalzranorth

[After helping Feng up to the slot and watching him jam the trap Dalzranorth, with confidence befitting a dragon, proceeded to check the various doors of the northern hallway. This would prove to be a mistake.]

"I wonder what that squeaking noise?" passed through Dalzranorth's mind before the three giant rats crawled from the darkness and attacked.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette



Feng Shen
10HP 2/4 PSI

Another ally down to rats. This is embarrassing. And with the rats poised to bite anyone nearby, there wasn't much point in being heroic and restoring Dal to consciousness. He and the dragon would just get tore up again by the rats.

It was time for something a bit more dramatic.

Focusing his palms together, he points his hands towards the rats, and a blast of wind streams out at them.

DC13 strength save for the 2 rats in a line, 3 damage and prone if they fail, 1 damage and no prone if they succeed.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012


Erdan Pashala

Erdan is slow to react as rats poor into the hallway and down Dalzranorth,.

Finally he leaps forward to stab a rat, a marvelous rat that squirms away from the hilt of Erdan's rapier, as that was the only thing that could have hit it on the wild swing.
As he stabs he chants "Dalzranorth deleah eb"

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Sunless Citadel


28. INFESTED CELLS

This section of hallway contains six doors, all slightly ajar. The area smells musky.

And it was not long after Dalzranorth started looking around that three giant rats, alerted by his noise attacked him, and downed him. Erdan picks him back up, and the group as a whole make a concerted effort to put the rats down.

Once the battle is over Erdan begins inspecting the area. In three of the cells, the ones the rats came from, he notices rat nests. Collections of various bits of refuse, and something shiny, to make a comfortable bed for the rats. Though the doors themselves are only open wide enough for something smaller than him to slip in, without further opening the doors.

He also happens to notice tracks in the dust on the floor. Tracks of the rats, but also tracks of humanoids as well.

As Erdan moves forward he notices

29. DISABLED TRAPS

The cobblestone floor contains two trapdoors blocked open by iron spikes. The north wall holds a dry fountain carved with an overarching diving dragon. A faint rotten stench pervades the room.

Reminder the Roll20 is Here

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at Jun 26, 2017 around 14:04

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012


Erdan Pashala

"So I think there are 4 sets of humanoid prints here, maybe a month old? 4 go into the room here, but only 3 headed back that way. We ready to check this room here? "

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of awesome.

Dalzranorth

"As ready as we'll ever be, though I think Guzzler could some medical attention."

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!




Bugsy

Taking point with the dragon, Bugsy moves up to the fountain. Perception: 16

Noticing another inscription in draconic on the front of the basin: "Hey, Dalzranorth, you gonna talk to this fountain, too? Maybe this one has healing potions! Or whisky!"

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of awesome.

Dalzranorth


"Huh, there is an inscription there. I can't believe I missed it. I must still be a rat-tled from the attack." [Dalz grins and checks the inscription]
"Let there be death" [He looks back at Bugsy] "I'm not saying that one in Draconic."

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!




Bugsy

Bugsy takes a few steps back towards the wall.

"I'll give you 5 gold if you do it."

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of awesome.

Dalzranorth

[A confused, almost pained loojk crosses Dalzranorth's face]

"That is a terrible idea" he could hear his father's voice.
"But gold" said the his draconic heart.
"...terrible ideas make for the best stories..." he remembered his father saying to one of his visiting adventuring buddies. "And they usually pay the best." Dalz remembered the elf replied.


[shielding his face from the fountain Dalz spoke in draconic] "Let there be death"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Sunless Citadel

29. DISABLED TRAPS

Dalzranorth speaks the words and a mist comes pouring out of the stone dragon's mouth filling much of the room, and engulfing both Crushclaw and Dalzranorth.

Reminder the Roll20 is Here

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply
«3 »