Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Dalzranorth

"Don't worry Meepo, I'm sure Calcryx will be fine. We actually came here because of the goblins. Do you know where we can find them?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Sunless Citadel

15. Dragon Cell

The kobold whimpering slows and he squeaks out "Meepo don't know, but Yusdrayl does. Meepo take you to meet Yusdrayl, our leader, if you make nice. You get safe passage, if you promise to make nice. Maybe if you promise to rescue dragon, Yusdrayl make nice to you, answer questions."

Reminder the Roll20 is Here

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Feng Shen
10HP 3/4 PSI

Turning to his companions, Feng raises an eyebrow to impressive height.

"I'm not sure that chasing a dragon will lead us to our missing locals. I fear we are about to go down the proverbial rabbit hole, such as it is."

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Bugsy

"On the other hand, don't look a gift... lizardthing in the mouth?"

Bugsy shrugs and sets the kobold down in front of Dal.

"Or something like that."

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Sunless Citadel

15. Dragon Cell

Meepo looks at you all, his sniffling mostly gone, and questions. "Meepo take to Yusdrayl?"

8one6
May 20, 2012

Dalzranorth

"It may be a dead end, but we do think the goblins had something to do with the disappearances. If the kobolds know something it wouldn't hurt to listen to them, would it?"

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Sunless Citadel

15. Dragon Cell

As a general consensus seems to be made, more or less, Meepo nods and begins leading you deeper into the underground building. As he leads you forth he occasionally shouts a word in draconic, "Ticklecorn!"

19. HALL OF DRAGONS

A double row of relief-carved marble columns march the length of this long, large hall. The worn carvings depict entwining dragons. Three more impressive looking kobolds patrol this hall, but do not attack as you approach. They look at Dalzranorth with mixed looks of awe and fear.

Meepo continues down the hall.

21. DRAGON THRONE

A short throne stands near the west wall, constructed of fallen bits of masonry stacked against an old altar. On the top of the altar sit a variety of small items. The portion of the altar that serves as the throne's back features a carving of a rearing dragon. A metallic key is held firmly in the dragon's open jaws.

Sitting atop the throne is a robed kobold, a ring upon her finger, she looks at the party with curiosity. She is flanked by two more of the more impressive looking kobolds.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Dalzranorth

[Dalz bows slightly and In Draconic speaks] "We bid you greetings, leader of the kobolds, and wish to speak of many things."

[returning to common] "My friends and I have come to the citadel seeking missing persons, and your fellow kobold Meepo has told us some of your troubles with the goblins. Can you tell us more?"

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Sunless Citadel

21. DRAGON THRONE

The kobold sits back nodding to Dalzranorth. "Oh great dragon. I, Yusdrayl greet you. I ask your name, if you will honor me with it."

She waits a moment for a response then continues. She starts out with a worried tinged voice, that grows to hatred.

"The Outcast, he lives below. He grows the fruit, which he gives to the goblins. The dragon-thieving goblins are his servants!"

She slowly calms down, catching her breath and leaning back against her throne before she continues with the other question.

"They went to fight the goblins and never returned."

8one6
May 20, 2012

Dalzranorth

[Dalz puffs up a bit] "I am Dalzranorth the fierce! Protector of Valcryn'trawin'merxim! My friends and I are the Yawning Portal Envoys Extraordinaire."

[He listens to her speak about "The Outcast", sending a questioning look at Feng, but nods as she finishes her story. In a richer tone that's obviously modeled on someone important Dalz speaks] "If they went below we will need to follow. I promise you we will do all we can to return Calcryx to you."

Dalzranorth is so completely out of his element right now. He's seen negotiations go bad, they're surrounded, and with their poor showing against the giant rats he's not sure they can win a fight. He's trying to do his best impressions of his adopted father and the leader of his village's militia.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Sunless Citadel

21. DRAGON THRONE

The kobold looks into the dragon's eyes, a feat few kobold would likely be able to do and after a moment of thought nods. "If you return Calcryx to us. I shall
grant you a reward. Meepo can accompany you if you desire."

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Feng whispers "You're doing great! You are like a god to them."

8one6
May 20, 2012

Dalzranorth

"We would be glad to have a guide." [Dalzranorth goves a slight bow and in Draconic] "Your graciousness honors us, most esteemed one. [Dalz glances at the other members of the group but it doesn't appear anyone has anything else to add so he straightens up.]

"So... Could you show us the way Meepo?"

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Sunless Citadel

21. DRAGON THRONE

The kobold nods regally, and gestures to Meepo to lead you on. Meepo actually looks well happy. Pleased at the prospect of getting back Calcryx, assuming that you actually will be doing so, his spirits have risen.

He bows to his leader, then turns to you. "Follow Meepo! Meepo lead the way! Back way!" Then he begins to head back the way you come, leading to a door that you had not checked into a hallway and an

25. EMPTY CHAMBER

This empty chamber is home only to rat droppings, crumbled flagstone, and stains.

"Here! This is back way into goblin lair."

Once the door is opened ...

26. DRY FOUNTAIN

Dust and odd bits of stony debris and rubble lie scattered on the floor. An ornate fountain is built into the eastern wall. Though cracked and stained, the fountain's overarching carving of a diving dragon retains its beauty. A relief-carved stone door stands on the western wall.

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jun 24, 2017

8one6
May 20, 2012

Dalzranorth

[Dalz inspects the relief on the western wall] "'Rebuke the dead, open the way' Hmmm... Anybody have any thoughts? I'm guessing it's a riddle."

[In Draconic] "I rebuke the undead!"
[in Draconic] "The Undead are awful!"
[In Draconic] "The undead are dumb. And they smell like butts. And their butts are dumb. And their butts smell like butts."

--[Transcribed from the roll20 session--

Bugsy
"Are... you okay?"

Dalzranorth
"Just trying something."

Ryuujin (GM) : nothing happens, except Meepo, and anyone else who understands Draconic, looks at you funny

8one6 (Dalzranorth): "Other than the air around the door being colder, nothing"

Relentless (Crushclaw): "You're talking to a door."

8one6 (Dalzranorth): "And it refuses to answer. Find anything with the fountain?"

Relentless (Crushclaw): "It's a little slimy."

[Dalz examines the fountain]

Ryuujin (GM): you notice a mostly worn-away inscription in Draconic on the basin's front. It reads, "Let there be fire."

8one6 (Dalzranorth): "'Let there be Fire'... Hey Guzzler, can I see your torch for a second? Hey crushclaw, can you try to apply the fire from the torch to the basin?"

Relentless (Crushclaw): "Sure."

Relentless (Crushclaw): i'll borrow Guzzler's torch and wave it around the fountain and poke at the scum with the torch.

8one6 (Dalzranorth): [In Draconic] "Let there be fire"

Relentless (Crushclaw): "are you gonna make a habit of speaking draconic to inanimate objects in this place?"

8one6 (Dalzranorth): "Likely yes."

Ryuujin (GM): Reddish liquid begins to well from the diving dragon's mouth, slowly accumulating in the basin.

8one6 (Dalzranorth): "Well, that's something. I'm not sure what, but it's something."

Relentless (Crushclaw): "You've got creepy dragon powers. Grats"

8one6 (Dalzranorth): "Tasting it seems like a bad idea, right?"

Relentless (Crushclaw): "Probably. Why don't we ask our ancient wisened mystic friend?"

Relentless (Crushclaw): ...[dips his pinky claw in it, just a little bit.]

Ryuujin (GM): it feels like hot sauce? You don't lose your pinky if that is what you are worried about

8one6 (Dalzranorth): "So it's not acid "and it smells like..." [sniffs deeply] "... My aunt's red pepper sauce? That's weird""

Relentless (Crushclaw): [tastes it.]

Ryuujin (GM): you feel a little tiny bit of warmth go down, but your taste does not seem to be enough to get the full kick

Relentless (Crushclaw): "It's hot sauce? But not like... the hottest sauce? Do dragons have a thing about hot sauce that I don't know about?'
"I have not heard any legends of a secret dragon hot sauce fountain."

8one6 (Dalzranorth): "I enjoy hot sauce. I can only assume other dragons do as well"

Ryuujin (GM): a little curl of smoke comes from one of your nostrils

Relentless (Crushclaw): "I think i might have lit my insides on fire a little bit."

Ryuujin (GM): but in a good way
you give a little belch and a tiny flame shoots out
and the warmth is gone

8one6 (Dalzranorth): [Stares in shock and awe.] [ O_O ]

Relentless (Crushclaw): "Am I part dragon now?"

8one6 (Dalzranorth): "You still look like a bugbear"

EDIT: Formatting

8one6 fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jun 24, 2017

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Bugsy

Bugsy stands there, thinking, smelling the smoke he just exhaled. After a moment he takes off his pack and starts rummaging through it.

"I could be wrong, as it's happened before, but I think... Dammit. No bottles."

He looks up at Dalz. "How do you feel about breathing fire instead of acid?"

Without waiting for an answer, he takes his waterskin (well, beerskin) and drains it in one long, long drink. He dips the empty skin into the red liquid, letting it fill up. As he pulls it out, the fountain drains all the excess liquid, leaving an empty fountain once again. The waterskin is actively giving off wisps of smoke as it's closed off.

"I'd better be right about this, and not just running out of beer for no reason. But I think we can breath fire with this."

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Erdan Pashala

Erdan can't help giggling as he watches a bugbear breathe fire. "Bugsy, I think you are correct, that does appear to be a liquid to create fire breath. "

Erdan looks around the room carefully, his eyes stopping at a curious slot in the ceiling above the door.

"I wonder what that slot above the door is for? Feng, any chance you have seen that in your studies?"

Mykkel fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 24, 2017

8one6
May 20, 2012

Dalzranorth

[After helping Feng up to the slot and watching him jam the trap Dalzranorth, with confidence befitting a dragon, proceeded to check the various doors of the northern hallway. This would prove to be a mistake.]

"I wonder what that squeaking noise?" passed through Dalzranorth's mind before the three giant rats crawled from the darkness and attacked.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Feng Shen
10HP 2/4 PSI

Another ally down to rats. This is embarrassing. And with the rats poised to bite anyone nearby, there wasn't much point in being heroic and restoring Dal to consciousness. He and the dragon would just get tore up again by the rats.

It was time for something a bit more dramatic.

Focusing his palms together, he points his hands towards the rats, and a blast of wind streams out at them.

DC13 strength save for the 2 rats in a line, 3 damage and prone if they fail, 1 damage and no prone if they succeed.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Erdan Pashala

Erdan is slow to react as rats poor into the hallway and down Dalzranorth,.

Finally he leaps forward to stab a rat, a marvelous rat that squirms away from the hilt of Erdan's rapier, as that was the only thing that could have hit it on the wild swing.
As he stabs he chants "Dalzranorth deleah eb"

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Sunless Citadel

28. INFESTED CELLS

This section of hallway contains six doors, all slightly ajar. The area smells musky.

And it was not long after Dalzranorth started looking around that three giant rats, alerted by his noise attacked him, and downed him. Erdan picks him back up, and the group as a whole make a concerted effort to put the rats down.

Once the battle is over Erdan begins inspecting the area. In three of the cells, the ones the rats came from, he notices rat nests. Collections of various bits of refuse, and something shiny, to make a comfortable bed for the rats. Though the doors themselves are only open wide enough for something smaller than him to slip in, without further opening the doors.

He also happens to notice tracks in the dust on the floor. Tracks of the rats, but also tracks of humanoids as well.

As Erdan moves forward he notices

29. DISABLED TRAPS

The cobblestone floor contains two trapdoors blocked open by iron spikes. The north wall holds a dry fountain carved with an overarching diving dragon. A faint rotten stench pervades the room.

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jun 26, 2017

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

Erdan Pashala

"So I think there are 4 sets of humanoid prints here, maybe a month old? 4 go into the room here, but only 3 headed back that way. We ready to check this room here? "

8one6
May 20, 2012

Dalzranorth

"As ready as we'll ever be, though I think Guzzler could some medical attention."

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Bugsy

Taking point with the dragon, Bugsy moves up to the fountain. Perception: 16

Noticing another inscription in draconic on the front of the basin: "Hey, Dalzranorth, you gonna talk to this fountain, too? Maybe this one has healing potions! Or whisky!"

8one6
May 20, 2012

Dalzranorth

"Huh, there is an inscription there. I can't believe I missed it. I must still be a rat-tled from the attack." [Dalz grins and checks the inscription]
"Let there be death" [He looks back at Bugsy] "I'm not saying that one in Draconic."

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Bugsy

Bugsy takes a few steps back towards the wall.

"I'll give you 5 gold if you do it."

8one6
May 20, 2012

Dalzranorth

[A confused, almost pained loojk crosses Dalzranorth's face]

"That is a terrible idea" he could hear his father's voice.
"But gold" said the his draconic heart.
"...terrible ideas make for the best stories..." he remembered his father saying to one of his visiting adventuring buddies. "And they usually pay the best." Dalz remembered the elf replied.

[shielding his face from the fountain Dalz spoke in draconic] "Let there be death"

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Sunless Citadel

29. DISABLED TRAPS

Dalzranorth speaks the words and a mist comes pouring out of the stone dragon's mouth filling much of the room, and engulfing both Crushclaw and Dalzranorth.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Bugsy

After taking a minute to let the effects of the poison he just breathed in wear off, Bugsy gets to his feet.

"I'm gonna have to remember how little it takes to bribe you next time."

He goes back to check the rest of the group, and decides to see what shinies the rat's nests hold. After a few minutes of digging around in garbage, he finds a total of 16sp, 8gp, and 4 gems (worth 5g each). These are quickly pocketed, and not mentioned. If Dalz will poison himself for 5g, just think what he'll do for a shiny shiny gemstone!

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Sunless Citadel

29. DISABLED TRAPS

Feng begins checking out the western door, which does not seem to be trapped as far as he could tell. Nor does it seem to be locked. That said as he spends time near the door investigating it he can smell the stench of rotten meat coming from the other side.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Dalzranorth

[Breathing heavily after the end of the the latest rat encounter]
"That fight wasn't nearly as bad as the last few. I think we're getting better at this!" [Dalz grins and begins searching the nest area starting with the human body. After a half hour or so he's come up with 85 gp, 312 sp, a gold ring with the name Karakas engraved in common, and 3 gems (worth 25 gp each) not including the gear from the human's remains*.]

"This isn't a bad haul. Right? It doesn't seem like a bad haul." [Dalzranorth's eyes light up a bit after counting it all out.] "We've got some gems and a gold ring, and a lot of coins!" [He looks up from the pile and a slightly embarrassed look crosses his face] "We should divide these up. That's fourteen gold and 52 silver each. I... I think someone else should hold onto the gems, the ring... and the extra gold piece until we get back to town. The rest of his stuff we can strap to my carrying harness for now. Guzzler there are three more torches for you."

[After the treasure is handed out] "Who wants to carry the potion of healing? And what should we do with the human's body? Oh,..." [Looking at Meepo] "Do you want to do anything special with the Kobold body in here?"

--
*Per roll20 discussion the human remains came with studded leather armor, five daggers, a longbow, a backpack (containing a water skin, one day's rations, a bedroll, a tinderbox, and three torches), a quiver with six arrows, a potion of healing, and a pouch that holds 17 gp. A gold ring (worth 10 gp) on Karakas's finger is engraved (in Common) with his name. The gp and the ring are included in the treasure above.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jul 2, 2017

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Sunless Citadel

29. DISABLED TRAPS

The group entered the room of rotting meat.

30. MAMA RAT

An oppressive smell suffuses the air, rising from chewed carcasses of cave rats, smaller vermin, and a few humanoid- looking creatures. The bodies lie upon a floor of filth, old bones, hair, and fur that combine to make a particularly large and vile nest.

Eventually the party overcomes the rats and retreats back to a cleaner room. After recovering some of their wounds they set watches and go to sleep, the night passes uneventfully except for when Guzzler noticed a lone goblin spying on them.

In the morning Dalzranorth and Crushclaw went forth to inspect one of the doors they had not yet checked.

31 . CALTROP HALL

The ten-foot-wide hall is liberally strewn with sharp caltrops. On the northern wall, passage to the room beyond is partially blocked by a roughly mortared, three-foothigh wall, complete with crenellations.

Dalzranorth begins to enter the hall only to be peppered by arrows from two goblins. A quick skirmish ensues ending with Guzzler rushing forth and taking the life of one of the goblins. The other goblin flees the room.

Dalzranorth carefully moves forward again.

32. GOBLIN GATE

The filth on the floor, stains on the walls, shabby hides, and firepit attest to the years of use this room has seen at the hands of creatures unconcerned with hygiene. On the eastern side of the southern wall is a crudely mortared half-wall, complete with crenellations.

Once everyone makes their way into the room they continue into the next room.

33. PRACTICE RANGE

Dozens of blunted and broken arrows lie on the cracked cobblestone floor, and a few protrude from three crudely sewn, human-sized targets hung along the center of the south wall. The northern third of the room is separated from the south by a crudely mortared and crenellated half-wall. A permanent camp of sorts lies north of the wall, complete with a fire ring and several small iron cook pots.

And then arrows come flying.

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jul 9, 2017

8one6
May 20, 2012

Dalzranorth

After the protracted multi-room goblin fight and the near fatal wounding of Guzzler it was decided to take an extended break, a long rest if you will. Dalzranorth had the dream again: He was a great wyrm, a living manifestation of power and fury and majesty. His flight darkened the land beneath. He overlooked everything from atop a mountain of gold.

[Dalzranorth awoke with a long, lazy yawn and tried to stretch out but met resistance a lot sooner than he expected.]* "Oh, um... Well this new." [He quickly checks to see if anyone else has doubled in size, as unlikely as that was] "Good... good morning everyone."

---
*Per the Dragon player class at 2nd level up the dragon becomes large and gains a number of benefits. It's rather abrupt.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Guzzler

Guzzler wake up and take a swig of wine from the bottle they were cradling as they slept. As they look up at Dalz their eyes go wide and bounce between the bottle and dragon repeatedly. After a while Guzzler give a shrug and take another big swig.

Level 2 means I finally get 2 Ki points to play with as well as Unarmored movement, for 10 extra feet

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

Erdan Pashala

Erdan smiles from the otherside of the campfire at Guzzler, "Neither the bottle nor your eyes are tricking you. Breakfast?"

Mykkel fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jul 25, 2017

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Sunless Citadel

33. PRACTICE RANGE

The next morning the group finds that Dalzranorth has grown overnight, pleasing Meepo greatly, and they go about finally searching the goblins. Finding a silver flask and a key. Checking the nearby door they find it locked, but using the key on it seems to work. Luckily no traps were released upon opening the door. Inside...

34. GOBLIN STOCKADE

Squalor reigns in this low-ceilinged room. A large iron spike is driven into the floor near the door, and a small iron cage is set farther back. Several sets of corroded manacles are connected to the walls.and some still bind a few crumbling skeletons .

Three kobolds are bound with crude rope to the iron spike. A battered gnome lies in the cage, which is almost too small for him.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Dalzranorth

[Dalzranorth squeezes himself into the stockade room after Erdan and looks at the gnome. In Gnomish] "Friend gnome, though my party is somewhat unconventional, fear not for we are here to help you."
[Dalz turns to the kobolds, puffs up a bit and in Draconic] "Kobolds! Fear not! I come from Yusdrayl your leader! We will free you! We quest return Calcryx to your tribe! We have slain the goblins who guard you!"

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

Erdan Pashala

Erdan smiles in a reassuring fashion at the captive kobolds and gnome, and examines the manacles, to figure out how best to free them.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Sunless Citadel

34. GOBLIN STOCKADE

The gnome blinks at the site, not quite sure what to make of it but nods. "Thank you then."

The kobolds at first seem reluctant to be freed, that is until the party's quest is mentioned. Then they look hopeful.

Erdan looks about, he finds none of the living are bound by manacles. The kobolds are tied up with rope, it would not be hard to untie them, the gnome is locked in a cage. It will require some skill, or a strong arm, to free him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

Erdan Pashala

Erdan begins to untie the kobolds, says in Draconic, "Dalzranorth, can you deal with the cage?"

• Locked thread