Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Dalzranorth the Fierce, Dragon adventurer.

"...so there we are, top level of the keep, lightning flashing as the storm raged around us, and the mercenary says 'give up the crate and I'll let the rest of you monsters walk away with your lives!'" Dalzranorth said, stopping to drink from the rather large bowl of mead he had ordered when they arrived at the Yawning Portal. "Or at least, that's what they told me he said. I was still circling overhead in the storm, so I may have missed a detail or two. I'm sure Erdan or Feng can add anything I missed. I could see Bugsy on one side of the crate and Zemo was on the other. Someone said something I missed because of the clap of thunder, but the mercenary and his gang backed off. We waited until morning as agreed and the wizard came back for the box." Taking another drink a slight look of confusion crosses his face. "You know, I never did find out what was in the box. Hey Guzzler, do you know?"

Dalzranorth is just excited to be back at the tavern, telling the tale of his first *real* adventure to anyone who will listen. Having left the gnome village that had been his home only two weeks ago he was thrilled to have already made some new friends. "Try the tavern," his adopted father had told him, "... all great adventurers start in a tavern."

Zemo the paladin reminds him a lot of the captain of the village guard back home, always more concerned with protecting others.
Feng Shen is always has an answer to a question, no matter how esoteric.
Bugsy's creepy, but is an awesome sort of way.
Erdan has a great story for almost any occasion.
Guzzler is always happy to share a good drink.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jun 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

"Soup sounds excellent! And perhaps a roast chicken or four." After a brief pause Dalzranorth adds "And maybe chicken for the others as well. So six chickens? That should... that should be enough, right? After the meal lets talk about our next adventure. Or a quest. Are we too new a group to quest?" [looking unsure] "Do we need a name to quest?"

8one6 fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jun 4, 2017

8one6
May 20, 2012

Dalzranorth

"I like it!"

8one6
May 20, 2012

Dalzranorth

"The Sunless Citaadel... Wait," He turns to Feng "wasn't that a Cult of the Dragon stronghold?"

8one6
May 20, 2012

Dalzranorth

"We should let this man sleep off the stress of the road and then we can head out in the morning!" Dalzranorth says, excited to already be on another adventure.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Dalzranorth

Dalzranorth tilts his thinking about it and grins "5 gold says you're on!"

8one6 fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jun 7, 2017

8one6
May 20, 2012

Dalzranorth

"Good morning everyone! Should we just hit the road? Do we need supplies? I travel light, but I'm new at this? My father mentioned that he never used to go anywhere without..." [Dalzranorth puts on a more serious tone] "... a shovel, a bag of marbles, and a ten foot pole." He grins again and shifts back to his normal tone" Anyway once the wainwright stopped yelling 'Sweet Helm a dragon!' I was able to rent a cart and horse for us. Well, for the royal us. I mean you all. I never learned how to ride a horse and the wagon's not that big."

8one6
May 20, 2012

Dalzranorth

[Dalzranorth walks beside the cart as they hit the road] "So are we going to the town first or are we headed straight for the Citadel? I vote for the Citadel. I've a bet to win!"

8one6
May 20, 2012

Dalzranorth

[Dalzranorth edges up to the edge and peers into the darkness below]

"That's... pretty deep. It looks like I should be able to fly down." [He turns to the rest of the group, grinning widely, and speaks quickly and excitedly] "How do we want to do this? I could fly down to the bottom while the rest of you climb down the rope. You know, secure the basecamp. Or, would this be the base camp, because we're leaving the cart and animals here for now? Also, Guzzler and Zemo, how much do each of you weigh? Because I might be able to take you down with me."

[He catches his breath]

"Anyway, what do you all think?"

8one6
May 20, 2012

Dalzranorth

"Uh... yeah... yes please. Just until we get to the bottom." [Dalzranorth pulls the straps on his carrying harness. It, and his rations, slump to the ground] "It's not that heavy, but I'm not quite robust enough to carry much more during flight." [Dalz picks up the harness and hands it to Bugsy] "Thank you."

8one6
May 20, 2012

Dalzranorth

"Hold on Guzzler, I've only done this with gnomes before." [Dalzranorth makes sure his companion is secure, unfolds his wings to their full span, and steps off the side of the cliff face. It's more of a control glide down than actual flying as the goal is losing altitude gracefully instead of gaining it.]

8one6
May 20, 2012

Dalzranorth

Lift. Maintain descent. No sharp turns, I don't have a harness to...
Is Guzzler playing their flute?
Canyon wall! Canyon wall! Remember 'graceful turns when you have a rider'.
Ok. Not so... Bugsy!!!!

[Once Dalzrannorth feels Guzzler vault from his back he lands and instincts take over. He lands hard, inhales, rears up, and unleashes the elemental fury that resides at the heart of all dragons]

"Raaaahhhhhhhhhhrrrrrgggggggg!!!!!!!!!!!"
[A line of acid washes over two of the giant rats.]

8one6 fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 14, 2017

8one6
May 20, 2012

Dalzranorth

[Dalzranorth bites into the rat that wounded him, tearing it apart.] "HI AHRAAN DII GRAH-ZEYMAHZIN! HI DIR MED ROTS!'*

[Looking around he seems to come out of whatever 'zone' he was in] "Oh, uh... sorry if that was loud."

*Translation from Draconic: "You attack my ally! You die like rats!"

8one6
May 20, 2012

Dalzranorth

[Dalzranorth comes to slowly] "Owww, mo bones... Wait, those aren't my bones." [Shaking his head he looks around a bit and leaps up, digging his claws into the lip of the hole, dragging himself up and over.]

"Three things guys: One: Owww!"
"Two, there was potential loot down there on a goblin corpse."
"Three, I know the day is young, but again, owwwww. Can we take a breather?"

8one6
May 20, 2012

Dalzranorth

[After Guzzler tied off the rope around their waist and sets off the trapdoor Dalzranorth, with the rope securely in his jaws, lowers them into the pit to retrieve the dead goblin's possessions]
"Mmmist miv ma migmal men ooo want me do mull ooo oop."

8one6
May 20, 2012

Dalzranorth

[Not noticing anything immediately dangerous Dalzranorth walks into the room to get a better look at the door.]
"I found a fancier door in here! It has a dragon carved in it! That makes sense, right? Cult of the Dragon and all?"

[Dalz cautiously moves up to the door, gives it a good look, and then tries to open it.]
"Dang. It's locked. Does anyone know anything about locks? I asked my dad to show me how to pick one once but my lack of thumbs made following along difficult."

8one6 fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 17, 2017

8one6
May 20, 2012

Dalzranorth

[Dalzranorth sizes up all three doors] "South? Yeah... Lets go south."
[After fumbling with the door for a bit and finding it's locked] "Err... North, North is good too."

8one6 fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jun 19, 2017

8one6
May 20, 2012

Dalzranorth

"Hey we got..." [Dalzranorth stops himself, looks back and in a quieter tone continues] "We found something. Someone's tried to write something in Draconic on the walls and I can hear something whimpering. That's rarely good."

8one6
May 20, 2012

Dalzranorth

"'Here there be dragons' Well, that's true now anyway." [Dalzranorty turned back to the group to let them know what it the graffiti said and then noticed that the whimpering hadn't abated.]

"Hello? Are you alright? Do you need help?" [When he received no response he tried again in Draconic, and then in Gnomish. Still no response. Dalzranorth pulled the blanket covering the crying form away, revealing a kobold.]

"It's a kobold." [Dalz turned back to the group] "Does anyone know to get a kobold to stop crying?"

8one6
May 20, 2012

Dalzranorth

"Don't worry Meepo, I'm sure Calcryx will be fine. We actually came here because of the goblins. Do you know where we can find them?"

8one6
May 20, 2012

Dalzranorth

"It may be a dead end, but we do think the goblins had something to do with the disappearances. If the kobolds know something it wouldn't hurt to listen to them, would it?"

8one6
May 20, 2012

Dalzranorth

[Dalz bows slightly and In Draconic speaks] "We bid you greetings, leader of the kobolds, and wish to speak of many things."

[returning to common] "My friends and I have come to the citadel seeking missing persons, and your fellow kobold Meepo has told us some of your troubles with the goblins. Can you tell us more?"

8one6
May 20, 2012

Dalzranorth

[Dalz puffs up a bit] "I am Dalzranorth the fierce! Protector of Valcryn'trawin'merxim! My friends and I are the Yawning Portal Envoys Extraordinaire."

[He listens to her speak about "The Outcast", sending a questioning look at Feng, but nods as she finishes her story. In a richer tone that's obviously modeled on someone important Dalz speaks] "If they went below we will need to follow. I promise you we will do all we can to return Calcryx to you."

Dalzranorth is so completely out of his element right now. He's seen negotiations go bad, they're surrounded, and with their poor showing against the giant rats he's not sure they can win a fight. He's trying to do his best impressions of his adopted father and the leader of his village's militia.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Dalzranorth

"We would be glad to have a guide." [Dalzranorth goves a slight bow and in Draconic] "Your graciousness honors us, most esteemed one. [Dalz glances at the other members of the group but it doesn't appear anyone has anything else to add so he straightens up.]

"So... Could you show us the way Meepo?"

8one6
May 20, 2012

Dalzranorth

[Dalz inspects the relief on the western wall] "'Rebuke the dead, open the way' Hmmm... Anybody have any thoughts? I'm guessing it's a riddle."

[In Draconic] "I rebuke the undead!"
[in Draconic] "The Undead are awful!"
[In Draconic] "The undead are dumb. And they smell like butts. And their butts are dumb. And their butts smell like butts."

--[Transcribed from the roll20 session--

Bugsy
"Are... you okay?"

Dalzranorth
"Just trying something."

Ryuujin (GM) : nothing happens, except Meepo, and anyone else who understands Draconic, looks at you funny

8one6 (Dalzranorth): "Other than the air around the door being colder, nothing"

Relentless (Crushclaw): "You're talking to a door."

8one6 (Dalzranorth): "And it refuses to answer. Find anything with the fountain?"

Relentless (Crushclaw): "It's a little slimy."

[Dalz examines the fountain]

Ryuujin (GM): you notice a mostly worn-away inscription in Draconic on the basin's front. It reads, "Let there be fire."

8one6 (Dalzranorth): "'Let there be Fire'... Hey Guzzler, can I see your torch for a second? Hey crushclaw, can you try to apply the fire from the torch to the basin?"

Relentless (Crushclaw): "Sure."

Relentless (Crushclaw): i'll borrow Guzzler's torch and wave it around the fountain and poke at the scum with the torch.

8one6 (Dalzranorth): [In Draconic] "Let there be fire"

Relentless (Crushclaw): "are you gonna make a habit of speaking draconic to inanimate objects in this place?"

8one6 (Dalzranorth): "Likely yes."

Ryuujin (GM): Reddish liquid begins to well from the diving dragon's mouth, slowly accumulating in the basin.

8one6 (Dalzranorth): "Well, that's something. I'm not sure what, but it's something."

Relentless (Crushclaw): "You've got creepy dragon powers. Grats"

8one6 (Dalzranorth): "Tasting it seems like a bad idea, right?"

Relentless (Crushclaw): "Probably. Why don't we ask our ancient wisened mystic friend?"

Relentless (Crushclaw): ...[dips his pinky claw in it, just a little bit.]

Ryuujin (GM): it feels like hot sauce? You don't lose your pinky if that is what you are worried about

8one6 (Dalzranorth): "So it's not acid "and it smells like..." [sniffs deeply] "... My aunt's red pepper sauce? That's weird""

Relentless (Crushclaw): [tastes it.]

Ryuujin (GM): you feel a little tiny bit of warmth go down, but your taste does not seem to be enough to get the full kick

Relentless (Crushclaw): "It's hot sauce? But not like... the hottest sauce? Do dragons have a thing about hot sauce that I don't know about?'
"I have not heard any legends of a secret dragon hot sauce fountain."

8one6 (Dalzranorth): "I enjoy hot sauce. I can only assume other dragons do as well"

Ryuujin (GM): a little curl of smoke comes from one of your nostrils

Relentless (Crushclaw): "I think i might have lit my insides on fire a little bit."

Ryuujin (GM): but in a good way
you give a little belch and a tiny flame shoots out
and the warmth is gone

8one6 (Dalzranorth): [Stares in shock and awe.] [ O_O ]

Relentless (Crushclaw): "Am I part dragon now?"

8one6 (Dalzranorth): "You still look like a bugbear"

EDIT: Formatting

8one6 fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jun 24, 2017

8one6
May 20, 2012

Dalzranorth

[After helping Feng up to the slot and watching him jam the trap Dalzranorth, with confidence befitting a dragon, proceeded to check the various doors of the northern hallway. This would prove to be a mistake.]

"I wonder what that squeaking noise?" passed through Dalzranorth's mind before the three giant rats crawled from the darkness and attacked.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Dalzranorth

"As ready as we'll ever be, though I think Guzzler could some medical attention."

8one6
May 20, 2012

Dalzranorth

"Huh, there is an inscription there. I can't believe I missed it. I must still be a rat-tled from the attack." [Dalz grins and checks the inscription]
"Let there be death" [He looks back at Bugsy] "I'm not saying that one in Draconic."

8one6
May 20, 2012

Dalzranorth

[A confused, almost pained loojk crosses Dalzranorth's face]

"That is a terrible idea" he could hear his father's voice.
"But gold" said the his draconic heart.
"...terrible ideas make for the best stories..." he remembered his father saying to one of his visiting adventuring buddies. "And they usually pay the best." Dalz remembered the elf replied.

[shielding his face from the fountain Dalz spoke in draconic] "Let there be death"

8one6
May 20, 2012

Dalzranorth

[Breathing heavily after the end of the the latest rat encounter]
"That fight wasn't nearly as bad as the last few. I think we're getting better at this!" [Dalz grins and begins searching the nest area starting with the human body. After a half hour or so he's come up with 85 gp, 312 sp, a gold ring with the name Karakas engraved in common, and 3 gems (worth 25 gp each) not including the gear from the human's remains*.]

"This isn't a bad haul. Right? It doesn't seem like a bad haul." [Dalzranorth's eyes light up a bit after counting it all out.] "We've got some gems and a gold ring, and a lot of coins!" [He looks up from the pile and a slightly embarrassed look crosses his face] "We should divide these up. That's fourteen gold and 52 silver each. I... I think someone else should hold onto the gems, the ring... and the extra gold piece until we get back to town. The rest of his stuff we can strap to my carrying harness for now. Guzzler there are three more torches for you."

[After the treasure is handed out] "Who wants to carry the potion of healing? And what should we do with the human's body? Oh,..." [Looking at Meepo] "Do you want to do anything special with the Kobold body in here?"

--
*Per roll20 discussion the human remains came with studded leather armor, five daggers, a longbow, a backpack (containing a water skin, one day's rations, a bedroll, a tinderbox, and three torches), a quiver with six arrows, a potion of healing, and a pouch that holds 17 gp. A gold ring (worth 10 gp) on Karakas's finger is engraved (in Common) with his name. The gp and the ring are included in the treasure above.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jul 2, 2017

8one6
May 20, 2012

Dalzranorth

After the protracted multi-room goblin fight and the near fatal wounding of Guzzler it was decided to take an extended break, a long rest if you will. Dalzranorth had the dream again: He was a great wyrm, a living manifestation of power and fury and majesty. His flight darkened the land beneath. He overlooked everything from atop a mountain of gold.

[Dalzranorth awoke with a long, lazy yawn and tried to stretch out but met resistance a lot sooner than he expected.]* "Oh, um... Well this new." [He quickly checks to see if anyone else has doubled in size, as unlikely as that was] "Good... good morning everyone."

---
*Per the Dragon player class at 2nd level up the dragon becomes large and gains a number of benefits. It's rather abrupt.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Dalzranorth

[Dalzranorth squeezes himself into the stockade room after Erdan and looks at the gnome. In Gnomish] "Friend gnome, though my party is somewhat unconventional, fear not for we are here to help you."
[Dalz turns to the kobolds, puffs up a bit and in Draconic] "Kobolds! Fear not! I come from Yusdrayl your leader! We will free you! We quest return Calcryx to your tribe! We have slain the goblins who guard you!"

8one6
May 20, 2012

Dalzranorth

[Dalzranorth walks up to the cage, looks it over a bit, braces himself, hooks a claw on the cage door and proceeds to fall backwards, dislodging only a single iron bar.] "Oof!" [He looks a bit embarrassed. he stands back up flexes a bit to loosen up, braces again, hooks his claws around the lock part of the cage door this time, and pulls the door free]
"There we go, just needed a little bit of elbow grease."

[After helping the gnome out of the cage he speaks in gnomish] "May I ask your name friend gnome? Also, we don't have much in the way of extra clothes or armor for you, but we can spear a scimitar, shield, or a bow and some arrows, or perhaps some daggers."

8one6
May 20, 2012

Dalzranorth

"The way back to the surface is clear of goblins and the most dire of giant rats if you wish to get out of here." [Dalz looks to the rest of the party for a moment] "Or you felt safer in a group you could come with us. We are... not the most conventional band you'll meet, and we are headed deeper into the goblin lairs to retrieve some other adventurers... and to retrieve a kidnapped dragon from the goblins... and I guess investigate some weird apples. But anyway those seem like the two options you have. Also, you wouldn't happen to know a Talgen or a Sharwyn by any chance would you?"

8one6
May 20, 2012

Dalzranorth

[After falling down a pit trap and pulling himself back out Dalzranorth busts open the latest locked door that was giving them trouble, only to find the hall full of kobolds from the beginning of the adventure]
"Oops... er"
[puffing up a bit and in draconic] "We have cleared the goblins guarding the paths to their lair. We will continue in our quest."
[With that, Dalz dues what he can to pull the door shut and tries to get back over the pit trap, with the expected result.]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

Dalzranorth

"After that fight I say we give give ourselves a few hours to catch our breath."

• Locked thread