Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Other than telling him not to try to do this (which I'm sure others will say), Computer Science is programming focused and will give him the skills to get a job in the field, though there might be more specialized majors popping up now, it's been a bit since I was in college.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Oh that's right, high math reqs, my school you needed calc 3 and possibly differential equations, I dropped out of the program after finishing calc 3 though because I decided coding wasn't for me.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Ornithology posted:

Not all programming requires a focus on math skills. I took a college course on systems design instead of the usual university CS degree path, and it didn't require much math skills at all. However, with game programming if you plan to get into physics engines or graphics programming that's pretty math oriented. And a CS degree requires a bunch of pure math courses regardless of where you want to focus your skills (not sure why - a lot of it doesn't seem relevant to most programming jobs out there).

CS is a general programming degree though, hence why it drives up those math reqs with calc 3 and harder stuff. Honestly, even if you don't get dropped into a job that uses it, it's still useful to have that foundation because maybe your next job will need it.

• Locked thread