Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

I'm writing this thread because I would like to know what advice I can give my son if he wishes to be a game programmer. I understand that people may say for him to pick another field but IF he has made up his mind what steps can he take to prepare himself for such a venture? What should be his first steps? Is there a college major he should take? I suck at anything involving computers or software etc. my job involves the health field which is very different than the one my 16 year old wants to be in. I'm hoping that whatever is written I can direct him to this thread so he can understand what he's getting himself into or whatever. I constantly tell him how awesome the Goon Hivemind is so I'm hoping you domt let me down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,

Thank you guys! I will let him read these advices I just read.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,

I will ask him those questions on what sorta thing he likes in the field. As for the languages, does that depend on what he wants to focus in (art, audio, databases, etc etc) or is there one or two that are more necessary to learn over the others?

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,

fantastic in plastic posted:

I'm a programmer. I haven't worked in games specifically, but I have some general advice.

In terms of first steps -- well, has your son ever programmed anything? Does he like it? Does he like it enough to want to do it for 8 hours a day for at least ten years? If he's never programmed anything, then I'd suggest he go to http://eloquentjavascript.net/ and work through that book. It will teach the basics of JavaScript, a popular programming language most commonly used on the web. I'd suggest starting there because the languages which are commonly used in game development are a lot more complicated and have a lot more up-front set up, while for JavaScript all you really need to get started is a web browser. When he's ready to move to a more specific language, the fundamental concepts are transferable. It will also help teach discipline by working on learning something which is necessary to know but not exciting.

The "royal road" to game programming, so to speak, is to go to college and get a Computer Science degree. While in school it would be wise to focus on doing projects related to video games. (Making mods for games that he enjoys, for instance.) A CS degree and a portfolio of a few mods would be enough to get entry-level interviews as a programmer. A degree isn't a requirement if he can learn to program on his own, but it does provide structure and a kind of "social proof" to employers that he has the knowledge, skill, and interest in technology to succeed.

In terms of the industry in particular, I know that GDC, the Game Developers' Conference, puts videos up on YouTube that are talks by industry professionals of various types, usually from 30 minutes to an hour in length. He could spend some time watching a cross-section of those videos to get a sense of what life in the industry is like, what various specializations are like, what some of the problems that teams have faced are, and so on.

In terms of languages, for initial learning it doesn't matter so much. I suggested JavaScript above for an initial choice because the programming environment for it is relatively simple to use and it doesn't require complicated syntax or concepts like pointers. If he likes programming, he could learn a language like C++ which is more commonly used for game development.

Awesome reply! Thank you sooooo much!

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,

So much awesome advice! Thank you sooooo much!

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,

N0data posted:

Seconding this. I've been a programmer for several years, and Unity is a godsend. Have him complete some of the basic Unity tutorials. It'll give him a good idea of the different aspects of game development, and more importantly, he'll be able to see a finished project that he's worked on.

Thank you! Any link to the tutorials? I want to make sure he finds the exact ones that you guys recommend.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,

Such awesome answers. My son said he appreciates all the advice. He is worried because he's not so strong in math.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,

KillHour posted:

When I was graduating high school, I had the same idea. I ended up dropping out of computer science and doing something else. Why? Because I realized I like programming as a way to implement MY ideas, not someone else's. Does he want to design video games or write algorithms to do things other people design? There's a big difference, and almost everybody in the industry is doing the latter. Now writing video games is my hobby supported by my day job. I like it better that way.

If he wanted to go down the path you chose what sort of college education would be needed? Would you need a degree?

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,

Alder posted:

I have a strong understanding of algebra but I admit, I was still totally lost on pure math and higher college math courses. Math is something one must practice constantly otherwise once you start slacking all a sudden you lose some basic math skills. The good part of college is that they often have math centers where you can bother the grad students and volunteers to help solve problems.

I love all this advice. Thank you goons! I send my son all your advice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,

KillHour posted:

I don't have a degree but I'm very lucky to get as far as I have without one. The honest truth is for most corporate jobs, MA > BS > BA, and other than that it doesn't really matter what they're in - they just get you past HR.

My job has nothing to do with programming or video games, and the path I took was very much an opportunistic one. I'm the kind of person that craves variety in my work, so I just kind of take whatever interesting things come my way rather than looking for something particular.

Edit: The fact that he has someone willing to go through this much effort to help him figure out how to achieve his goals plays a big part in his chances of success. You're a good parent.

Thank you! I try my best. I can say that this thread has given my son so much information and I'm so grateful to all you goons.

• Locked thread