Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost
I am also in the industry and have been making game levels for almost 20 years now. This is an excellent reply:

ehnus posted:

I've been a programmer and engineering manager in the games industry for 15 years now.

Get a normal computer science degree. It'll open more doors for when you want to exit the industry. Most people want a break eventually, even if it means going to something peripherally game related (server development, etc.)

Game-specific education programs don't give you anything extra you need in the real world that's not covered by most university/college computer science degrees, but should you want to leave everything behind and make twice the wage at Google / Facebook / Amazon, it'll help to have the normal degree.

That's about it. Domain specific skills, like programming language familiarity, specific area expertise (rendering/physics/animation), will be picked up over the course of your education or on the job.

But this is my favorite reply so far:

Confusion posted:

Is he sure he wants to be a programmer ? A lot of game development actually has little to do with programming and is done by graphical artists and animators. Programmers mostly work on the infrastructure behind the game and not the stuff you actually see. Make sure he finds out what he actually likes because they are vastly different career trajectories.

This reply is so good because it addresses the fact that most people think "game programmers make games", which is far from accurate. :)

What, specifically, does your son want to do? What does "I want to make games" mean? Does he like the idea of making decisions about game mechanics and progression and figuring out what the actual game play will involve (game design/scripting)? Or does he like the idea of making game levels and what the world will look like as you progress through it (environment art)? Or perhaps he just thinks game weapons are cool, or characters, or enemy/monster design (game art/modelling/animation)? Or does he actually, truly, want to write game code (game programming, which could potentially involve UI, rendering, AI, physics, sound, networking, or a host of other specialties)?

All of these choices lead to different careers. While all of these people might work together in the same building, they all got where they are through different paths.

As others have said, if he really, really wants to do this, and is turned on by the idea and enjoys the work, there's not necessarily a need for formal education for many of these jobs--you can build a portfolio on your own which, if it's good enough, will get you hired regardless of education (it's what I did--I have two psych degrees :downs:). If he does, for sure, want to do the actual programming bit of game development, then that will probably require an actual degree, only because "teach yourself programming" is, IMO, much more of a challenge than, say, art or level design.

And yeah, if he goes for an actual programming degree, it's wiser to get it from a non-game-specialized school. Many of the specialized schools are godawful, and even the good ones are often overpriced and won't really give you anything game-specific that you couldn't pick up on your own easily enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Isn't what you described as design a fast track to thinking of yourself as "The Idea Guy"? Again, no experience in the game industry, but I would think someone wanting to do that should have a solid background in one of the other aspects. I would say the programming to disabuse them of the "just a couple of lines of code" idea, but I'm sure artists and animators would have counterarguments.

Heh. I can see how it could be interpreted that way, so thanks for the push to clarify. :) Yes, all our "idea guys (and gals)" have at least a solid background in level design or some variety of scripting language, or both. In other words, the gameplay/game mechanics job I had in mind in my post is not about giving your ideas to someone else, but making your ideas into reality via your own skills (and dealing with playtests, criticism, and pushback from both above and below, which painfully morphs your original creation into something that hopefully ends up shipping).

If someone ends up being that stereotypical "Idea Guy" who dictates what to do, that's usually the result of a hell of a lot of years of hard work and a fair dose of luck, and the good ones are in there elbow-deep every day even though they don't have to be.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

jre posted:

That's not what ideas guy means.

Edit: Actually never mind. I'm not going to derail the thread arguing semantics.
No one gives a poo poo. Either contribute advice for the OP or gently caress off.

aas Bandit fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jun 8, 2017

• Locked thread