Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

Piggy Smalls posted:

I'm writing this thread because I would like to know what advice I can give my son if he wishes to be a game programmer. I understand that people may say for him to pick another field but IF he has made up his mind what steps can he take to prepare himself for such a venture? What should be his first steps? Is there a college major he should take? I suck at anything involving computers or software etc. my job involves the health field which is very different than the one my 16 year old wants to be in. I'm hoping that whatever is written I can direct him to this thread so he can understand what he's getting himself into or whatever. I constantly tell him how awesome the Goon Hivemind is so I'm hoping you domt let me down.

I've been a programmer and engineering manager in the games industry for 15 years now.

Get a normal computer science degree. It'll open more doors for when you want to exit the industry. Most people want a break eventually, even if it means going to something peripherally game related (server development, etc.)

Game-specific education programs don't give you anything extra you need in the real world that's not covered by most university/college computer science degrees, but should you want to leave everything behind and make twice the wage at Google / Facebook / Amazon, it'll help to have the normal degree.

That's about it. Domain specific skills, like programming language familiarity, specific area expertise (rendering/physics/animation), will be picked up over the course of your education or on the job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread