Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
(Mr. Nice, watching this section of the fight) Wow... hes so much bigger suddenly. Looks like hes winning now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Fozzy The Bear posted:

This was cool too, Max channeling a Diaz.
https://i.imgur.com/D67mK4n.gifv

He had a lot of diaz in him during the second round. He slapped Aldo 4-5 times in the last two minutes.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Work Friend Keven posted:

(Mr. Nice, watching this section of the fight) Wow... hes so much bigger suddenly. Looks like hes winning now.

To be fair, he was 3 times Aldo's size in there.

Neeber
Nov 29, 2007
Is it fair to say Aldo's timing and rhythm has been figured out now? By the 2nd and 3rd round Holloway was slipping all of Aldo's right hands and drawing out all the counters with feints.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Neeber posted:

Is it fair to say Aldo's timing and rhythm has been figured out now? By the 2nd and 3rd round Holloway was slipping all of Aldo's right hands and drawing out all the counters with feints.

No. It's safe to say that Holloway figured out his timings, but no one has ever done that to Aldo before and there's no reason to believe anyone else will be able to.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Mr. Nice! posted:

no one has ever done that to Aldo before

https://i.imgur.com/Co0fuEf.gifv

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

That wasn't two and a half rounds of outstriking (minus around 25 seconds in round 1) though. That was just a perfectly timed punch.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Mr. Nice! posted:

That wasn't two and a half rounds of outstriking

Neither was the Holloway fight.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

That wasn't two and a half rounds of outstriking (minus around 25 seconds in round 1) though. That was just a perfectly timed punch.

You have an insanely skewed view of that fight dude.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
I dont see how anyone could consider that 2.5 rounds of outstriking especially since basically nothing happened in the first round except a few good shots by Aldo. Hoilloway started putting in work in the second round which was still somewhat close

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

manyak posted:

I dont see how anyone could consider that 2.5 rounds of outstriking especially since basically nothing happened in the first round except a few good shots by Aldo. Hoilloway started putting in work in the second round which was still somewhat close

Aldo had 25 seconds of effective striking in the first round. He was outstruck the entire rest of the round and Holloway slipped most of his punches.

The second was Holloway from bell to bell and wasn't close at all. Watch it again without the sound off.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Or maybe I'm loving nuts I don't know.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
aldo beat him up in both rounds and then holloway completely took over in round 3 after taking the momentum. u could say he was intentionally spending the first two rounds learning aldos timing but no matter how you slice it aldo was beating him up in the process. which in my opinion its very cool of holloway that he dealt with that and then won the fight

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I'm just saying that on my rewatches it didn't look like Aldo landed much of anything outside of the 25 seconds in the middle of round 1, while the holloway strikes seemed to be more frequent and have more impact.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

Aldo had 25 seconds of effective striking in the first round. He was outstruck the entire rest of the round and Holloway slipped most of his punches.

The second was Holloway from bell to bell and wasn't close at all. Watch it again without the sound off.

I havent rewatched but im pretty sure Holloway landed like 6 strikes total in the first round and none of them were as good as that one combo that connected for Aldo and put holloway on the fence

Second round both guys had their moments but Holloway definitely had the momentum and was starting to get his timing down

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Mr. Nice! posted:

For what its worth, most of the mma media that I follow on twitter, gave Aldo the first two rounds.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
no way holloway was getting beat up in round 2

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm just saying that on my rewatches it didn't look like Aldo landed much of anything outside of the 25 seconds in the middle of round 1, while the holloway strikes seemed to be more frequent and have more impact.

something i noticed when aldo was fighting edgar for the 2nd time was that in the thread during the fight most people (including father dog who is like some epic fighter guy irl ? allegedly) were saying edgar was beating aldo up when in reality he wasnt landing all that much of anything or if he was then it wasnt to much effect .. im not really au fait with striking technique enough to explain what it is that seems to give people that impression though. personally i just pay attention to the way athletes are moving, how tired and coordinated theyre looking etc and to my eyes holloway took all the momentum in round 3

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Definitely rewatch it with the sound off. It will skew your perspective. I was counting strikes in the first round, and I dug up stats, and they seem to agree with what I saw. I just watched round 1 again to make sure.

Total strikes for the first round were even 36/36, but at least 1/3 of Aldo's came from his one flurry around 2:40 remaining and the rest were either jabs to the body, one leg kick, or mostly deflected. Holloway's 36 strikes were peppered throughout the round instead of one short burst. Holloway's most significant strikes in the round, imo, was a 1-2 combo as a counter from Aldo's only leg kick. He hit him hard with those two strikes and Aldo looks a bit wobbled by them. He doesn't try another leg kick the rest of the fight.

Now I have no problem with Aldo taking round 1. He did most of the damage. All I've been saying is that outside that 20 second window, Holloway was controlling distance and getting the better of all the striking exchanges.

Round 2 Holloway outstruck Aldo 77/51 and Aldo never really looks like he hits Max with anything solid. At the same time Holloway finds a home for a hard left counter over and over to start the round and really just starts teeing off at will while slipping most of what Aldo throws back.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
now you're doing that the other way around with aldo

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
i just rewatched it, specifically the 2nd round. i think i have it right. its true holloway looked better in round 2 than round 1 but he didnt win round 2. he took all of the momentum in round 3

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Just rewatched it with the sound off and Aldo actually slipped on a banana peel and then a grand piano got dropped on him and he walked out of a cloud of dust with piano keys for teeth. Mid-way through round 1.

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse
Round two was way closer than one. Re-watching it Max landed at a better rate for sure, but Aldo had what could of appeared to the judges (Max backing up,nodding his head) as the more damaging shots; a big counter right at about 1:30 left that stops Max in his tracks for a second and a left hook-right hook combo at about 30 seconds left that Max eats and nods his head at. Aldo also lands two or three good jabs while Max's back is to the camera throughout the round that are harder to pick up on tv but judges would of had a better angle of.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Holloway won round 2, but it was close. Though I'll admit I score successful taunting and slapping very highly.

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse

Dan Didio posted:

Just rewatched it with the sound off and Aldo actually slipped on a banana peel and then a grand piano got dropped on him and he walked out of a cloud of dust with piano keys for teeth. Mid-way through round 1.

Holloway also had the voodoo witch with him that Silva used to beat Fedor

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Kind of pointless to even argue about since the fight wasn't canon.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
max hit him with quite a few nice body shots in round 2

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse
Holloway fails CABMMA test for Proactiv, is stripped of title

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Work Friend Keven posted:

Kind of pointless to even argue about since the fight wasn't canon.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Wrong thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Neeber posted:

It would take a very dedicated fighter to pull off what Max did. As the fight wore on, Aldo got tired and pared down to the basics, which of course got repetitive and predictable. And the more he tried to hurt Max in one combo, the more he wore himself out and started looping his cross, reducing his range and keeping Holloway safely on the outside.

• Locked thread