Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat
Another day. I'm cranking out art waaaay slower than I thought. Here's a sample, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Intentionally vague status report for LEGS:

* knockback: in and syncing
* death state: in and syncing
* damage model: in and syncing
* spectator cam: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xhwj_zb77fU

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.

JonTerp posted:

Rules:
* Don’t be a jerk.

Does this apply to you as well? It'd be nice if it did.

Holo
May 9, 2013

Let there be light!

Haven't removed the interaction points from them yet, so the guy in the corner is thoroughly enjoying a lamp.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

It's like a real game! (except you can't die)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

netcat posted:

It's like a real game! (except you can't die)

drat that's cool at heck, I don't even know where to begin with NES programming.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

COOL CORN posted:

drat that's cool at heck, I don't even know where to begin with NES programming.

http://nesdev.com

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Basically this, also theres a bunch of tutorials, I'm using http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=22&threadid=7155 for a few things.

Also I'm writing most of my code in C with some assembly, since uuuh I'm not going to even attempt to make a whole game in assembly even if it's very simple

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Well, not pleased with my first attempt from a game mechanics perspective. Looking at starting over now. :(

Alternatively, anyone need a late-add level designer? I'm pretty experienced with algorithmic level generation in Unity games.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
https://youtu.be/mY-t1m8mpsU

Edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrbUI6fgVxQ

I got enemies now.

TomR fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jul 13, 2017

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Still missing quite a few animations but there is some progress.

Siminu
Sep 6, 2005

No, you are the magic man.

Hell Gem
I'll turn off the looping jump after it stops making me laugh.

http://nesdev.com looks like it woulda been handy, but I'm all aboard the Unity train now. Progress progress progress.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Siminu posted:

I'll turn off the looping jump after it stops making me laugh.

http://nesdev.com looks like it woulda been handy, but I'm all aboard the Unity train now. Progress progress progress.

I have no idea what your game could possibly be about but I'm sure that it's far better than anything I could imagine.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Startin' to look like a game!

https://vimeo.com/225512186

Also one week in and not done with the core mechanics. But happy with the results of juice-as-you-go!

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Day 7: Added my enemy to the game, rigged up the projectile script to change direction based on who is shooting. Then I got gutsy and decided to try and add some movement real quick before going to bed.

:thunk: Seems to be moving, good enough.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I know what's happening code-wise but in my mind's eye that guy just gets really angry.

Have him turn red if he changes directions too many times in a second.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.
so I'm trying to maintain radio silence because I want people to be surprised by my game but I'm REALLY REALLY BAD AT IT.

I also just had my first what I consider bug from logic.

I forgot to make it so a coinblock turns empty after it spawns an item. The whole "triggered by another item hitting the coinblock" is intended.

Siminu
Sep 6, 2005

No, you are the magic man.

Hell Gem

Forer posted:

so I'm trying to maintain radio silence because I want people to be surprised by my game but I'm REALLY REALLY BAD AT IT.

I forgot to make it so a coinblock turns empty after it spawns an item. The whole "triggered by another item hitting the coinblock" is intended.

Hell yeah, make it rain.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Forer posted:

Leave it, it's perfect.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

Drone posted:

Leave it, it's perfect.

now see if it didn't crash unity I might have left it as an option in the options menu.

I'm still going to just with a big asterisk "This will crash your game" next to it

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Day 7:
Got the stack processing/crafting logic in! Now to make time move forward and make the doodads that allow the player to automate processes. ApproachingInfinity hard at work on saving/loading. We should have the basic game loop working this weekend.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
day 7 progress: zen'd out organizing my code so it looks pretty and readable.

while i was at it, i got in camera movement so the field can now be traveled.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlO1BbhpZFQ

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

It took me a full week to get this far, lol. But here is a good summary of the last few days

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Shoehead posted:

It took me a full week to get this far, lol. But here is a good summary of the last few days

Just some tiny changes and you've got yourself a Space Harrier.

I'll try to post an update today if i have time.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Shoehead posted:

Please don't end up on the wall, I desperately want Doom Wild Guns

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

So would including a bootleg-ized version of my game from the last jam in my 256-in-1 multicart be kosher? Yah or nah? Because, well...

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
I was using Haxe + OpenFl and ran into some performance issues w.r.t. physics. I understand box2d is quite fast but for some reason the Haxe port is slow :(. There is a box2d alternative for Haxe called Nape but the debug draw sometimes crash when objects are out of bound so I didn't bother.

I switched to Unity now and boy do I love the 2D improvements. I've got moving and shooting working and I've started to program the path finder.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

I was using Haxe + OpenFl and ran into some performance issues w.r.t. physics. I understand box2d is quite fast but for some reason the Haxe port is slow :(. There is a box2d alternative for Haxe called Nape but the debug draw sometimes crash when objects are out of bound so I didn't bother.

I switched to Unity now and boy do I love the 2D improvements. I've got moving and shooting working and I've started to program the path finder.

I love the creepy eyeball flower thing.

Also how did the GoonCam overlay get carried into the capture? :psyboom:

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Man, some of these are looking nuts. For instance, I thought the FCEUX thing was a joke :psyduck:

I don't know if it'll be useful to anyone, but I recently ran into a neat little interactive demo that explains the A* pathfinding/graph search algorithm and a few other interactive tutorials.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

So would including a bootleg-ized version of my game from the last jam in my 256-in-1 multicart be kosher? Yah or nah? Because, well...

I don't see a rule against it so go hog wild.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
Day 8: Not much graphically to show, but I laid out more design information on various projectile interactions and types. Tomorrow I plan to get the basics up and running with a single projectile.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Day 8: Multiplayer game loop complete: spawn, damage, death, respawn. Beginning some mechanical polish in the backlog and starting content soon.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Mo_Steel posted:

I love the creepy eyeball flower thing.

Also how did the GoonCam overlay get carried into the capture? :psyboom:

GoonCam can't handle HiDPI apparently v:shobon:v

EntranceJew
Nov 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/EntranceJew/status/886040664248418304

i forgot to post this earlier. unity's event delegate UI makes offloading a lot of the boring wiring together parts easy and you get to focus on making smaller things that can be combined in new ways. the same goes for animation states.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Day 8:

The combined efforts of me and megane have yielded beautiful menu-y fruit:

I did a lot of nuts and bolts stuff on the backend too, including hooking up different machines so you can have an automated assembly line. When advancing time manually it works great! ApproachingInfinity is working on the saving/loading and time processing element, and I think tomorrow we may have the basic game up and running!

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I'm still alive and I've been busy doing UI.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Spent all morning trying to come up with a directed acyclic graph relating a hodgepodge of tacked-on ship components to their apparent path back to the ship. Got it to work most of the time, but eventually an island would be created and muck everything up.

Spent about 20 minutes replacing all of that with a Monte Carlo simulation. Now when a component disappears, its orphans pull in in an intuitive manner 99% of the time.

Remember kids, it's a game jam: Good Enough is good enough!

I think my coworker just bought that game on the Switch. Impressive, since yours isn't finished yet. Must've been a bootleg.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I found out why the damage indicators weren't appearing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4ZdLFbeYCg

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
Day 9: This is how lasers work. Trust me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I like it.

I'm a basketball expert.

• Locked thread