Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tube
Jun 1, 2000

I'm going off the rails on a CRAZY TRAIN!

Fallen Rib

Rob Filter posted:

Hey, can I request a small amendment to this rule? I've got a team of two programmers and an artist so far, and im messaging a musician who I might potentially be able to get to join my team. I've had talks with him about game design and development, and he's super interested in doing some game design himself. However, I've just realized that the rules as written mean that it would technically be violating the letter of the rules for him to design a puzzle, or a level, for the game we'd be working on, because he'd be producing non-music stuff.

Could you amend the rule so that people who only contribute game design, and do no code, or art, don't count towards the team limit either? It would be super appreciated!

You're the one who has to abide by the rules. Nobody's checking up on you. If you think it sounds fishy (which you clearly do) don't do it.

ALFbrot posted:

While you're at it, my team already has three, and I know a sick coder who wants to help out and write about half of our code, but he plays guitar, so could he not count, either?

This seems legit though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tube
Jun 1, 2000

Fallen Rib
Not sure if this helps anyone here, but apparently Corona is free now for all versions. It's a Lua-based thing, which should simplify the learning curve for non-programmers. I haven't used it, but I've heard good things from a couple of people.

Tube
Jun 1, 2000

Fallen Rib
If I were to compete this year (which I haven't in a few, and probably won't this year either), would it be acceptable under the current rules to create art assets using stop-motion animation of real-world objects such as, say, action figures or Barbie dolls? I've considered doing that several years running now, and just couldn't be bothered to take the time, but who knows, maybe this year will be different.

Tube
Jun 1, 2000

Fallen Rib

The White Dragon posted:

if anything i've ever made is a valid entry... then yes this will probably be fine :v:

it's just a really roundabout way to create a sprite anyway, right?

Yeah, and I doubt it would be a problem, but it's not "my" art technically. I used to steal art from elsewhere like crazy, because I can't be bothered to do all my sprites by hand, but that was back when Shalinor had a hand in things, I think. Just wondering about the degree of permissibility under the current rules.

I mean, there's got to be a line somewhere. I have the original sprite sheets from the arcade version of Dig-Dug, for example, but I wouldn't expect to be allowed to use them.

Tube
Jun 1, 2000

Fallen Rib

JonTerp posted:

Besides, the use case you used in the previous post is absolutely "your" art.

That's just what I wanted to hear. Awesome. Looking forward to the theme so I can find out what kind of lovely toys I need to buy at thrift stores and on eBay (or if I can just use my kid's stuff, for that matter). If I decide to commit to entering this year, of course, which depends a bit on whether I can find a new job. Working freelance is funny like that.

Tube
Jun 1, 2000

Fallen Rib

Hammer Bro. posted:

Same except most of my weekends are also booked.

I should really scope myself like I'm doing a one week jam. Which really means scoping myself like I'm doing a weekend jam with some time to polish.

Avoid feature creep, do this exactly, but plan out a week's worth of work with the rest of the month to polish.

Tube
Jun 1, 2000

Fallen Rib
Managed to find a new gig after all, so I probably won't do anything this year. A shame, because this is right up my alley.

If I decide to do something, expect it to sneak in at the last minute like a ninja.

Tube
Jun 1, 2000

Fallen Rib
If I were to enter this:

Tube fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jul 8, 2017

Tube
Jun 1, 2000

Fallen Rib
gently caress it, I've got a little over 2 weeks until my next gig. I'm in, even if I never get any farther than this title screen:

(Google the title. This is an actual thing.)

Tube
Jun 1, 2000

Fallen Rib

Mo_Steel posted:

I don't remember what day it is anymore since the start of the jam, but I have progressed?

:shrug: More objects seems like a sort of progress.

Isn't this basically just the Defold tutorial with a few extras added? I'm sure you'll change out more of the graphics as you go, of course, but I'm curious as to where it's headed.

Make your bullets bigger. Also, differentiate between your bullets and the enemies'.

Tube
Jun 1, 2000

Fallen Rib

Mo_Steel posted:

I'm following the truest schedule:

Yep, everything's going fine. :haw:

This is pretty much me too. I have some sketches, and I think I've decided on a concept and an engine. So I should have just enough time to panic.

Tube
Jun 1, 2000

Fallen Rib

ALFbrot posted:

I think I'm officially throwing in the towel, not that anyone cares. A delayed start, way too much going on personally, loss of team, waning passion for the concept, and trying to learn how to code by myself during the jam all combined to grind me to a halt.

I hope nobody was terribly excited about playing a lousy, babby's-first-sidescroller knockoff of Sonic the Hedgehog that started with a sonic OC creator that let you modularly control your species, sex, color, favorite food, and personality traits (blademaster, autism, japanese, etc) and then let you go on a very short quest to rescue Sonic, who then declares you the most unique person he's ever met and then you kiss, the end

Spend a day making easily accessible level editing tools, release to the general public anyway. Congratulate yourself: You have now joined the elite ranks of many major game studios.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tube
Jun 1, 2000

Fallen Rib
Eh, I was making a thing and now I'm not making a thing due to hardware issues. Oh well. You're all looking great, though!

• Locked thread