Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

I'm stoked to get ramped up on an over ambitious project and burn out trying to balance real life + weekend warrior'ing ridiculous poo poo as usual

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Hammer Bro. posted:

Same except most of my weekends are also booked.

I should really scope myself like I'm doing a one week jam. Which really means scoping myself like I'm doing a weekend jam with some time to polish.

Idiot! Fool! Imbecile!

Either make an MMO in 3 weeks or get out!

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Given Nintendo's recent habit of DMCA-ing fan games, I'd avoid poking any Nintendo properties should you decide to take the theme that literally. But that's just my opinion.

gently caress the nintendo police

i'm making an arms knockoff ASAP

edit: i got my top artist on the job:

original concept do not steal

a cyberpunk goose fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jul 8, 2017

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Day one report: forgot I bought pro builder forever ago, so that's cool

Camera logic mostly good for a prototype
Same with core on the ground character controller

Tomorrow is LEGS day

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Fantastic

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

test realms are where the party is at

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Day 2:

finalized some movement designs after some testing, backlogged some nice to haves

Got core state management of some important mechanics syncing across the network smoothly

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

HOLE! IN! ONE!

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

day 3: core gameplay feelings are synced over a network along with the important state bits, it's ... actually super fun, got stuck playtesting and having too much fun even though there's nothing to actually do so.. that's a real good sign.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Day 4: More netcoding, things coming along nicely

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Intentionally vague status report for LEGS:

* knockback: in and syncing
* death state: in and syncing
* damage model: in and syncing
* spectator cam: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xhwj_zb77fU

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Day 8: Multiplayer game loop complete: spawn, damage, death, respawn. Beginning some mechanical polish in the backlog and starting content soon.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

LEGS is in good shape and I will reveal all this coming weekend.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

where do cool people get free sound effects to mash together in 2017?

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

leper khan posted:

Sonisss gdc audio bundle 2015, 2016, 2017

I have several minutes of water through pipes, nails on glass, bees, etc

I couldn't remember this, thank you.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

I always forget how much time animation rigging takes

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

behind schedule, pray for mojo

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

well i'm seriously out of time with how my week is gonna break down but i have enough to at least ship something worth judging

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

SystemLogoff posted:

Where I'll be going for crimes against pixels.

Aw buddy :(

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Legs is in good shape and everything is just polish at this point, there are bits that are super rough but it's good enough still. I'm excited to reveal but need a little more time. Having to do a 4 day trip right at the end isn't helping

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

I done did good, just going to do a final day of minor bug fixes and gameplay adjustments. I didn't end up with a polished map but for how the game plays it really doesn't matter.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Time to button up one major bug and make a F1 controls screen then I'm calling it good!!

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Legs is done!

https://midoski.itch.io/legs?secret=EQQjipvqQM2OAmXaqMeE2zhjm7w

I'll make this a real itch.io page soon but I have left the server up so feel free to join.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

ALFbrot posted:

This is fantastic, even though i just got to beat up on your AFK body

I kicked him around until he was at 420%, then launched him, and then he didn't respawn because I killed him so good, so I had a lie down and left. I want to play this against people, though!

I recommend everyone interested in this spend some time getting used to jumping around and using both legs cleverly to maintain your air control, it's real fun once you grok the mechanics and my friends and I kept getting locked in 2 hour playtesting sessions. I'm going to organize some promo material tonight to make a trailer which will demonstrate the potential fun of the game.

PROTIP: You can lie down backwards. I was originally going to not fix that bug but add laying down animations, maybe I will when I make a real map.

edit: I want to organize a larger group play but I'm out of town this weekend sadly, I'm hoping to be in wifi range on Saturday when hopefully JonTerp will do Legs on the gong show :pray:

a cyberpunk goose fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Aug 2, 2017

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Legs trailer is done!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg6rLRQPdqc

a cyberpunk goose fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Aug 3, 2017

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

E: Im dumb as hell; the gong show ruled, good work everyone.

a cyberpunk goose fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Aug 6, 2017

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

JonTerp posted:

To sum everything up, the Gong Show is designed to punish complex games that lack good design, which in the real world would get eaten alive by most game players. By design it encourages slick, well though out, and engaging games. It's purposefully abrasive to games lacking tight design.The amount of effort you put into making a game is completely irrelevant when evaluating the game's qualities. If we told everyone they did an equally great job and everything about their game is a beautiful snowflake just the way it is we'd be doing a tremendous disservice to all contestants.

Does the gong show have to be about this though? Sometimes I'm not trying to make something with mass appeal, thats not always what I want to explore, a jam seems like the best place to have someone actually try to understand what you're going for, it' be cool if the Gong show could work to reflect that approach.

To me, the whole joy of a jam is doing weird and unique things. For some it's to deliver something resembling something that would try to get hits on steam, for others it's about making a funny narrative thing that gets some laughs. I certainly wouldn't advocate that the gong show waste 30 minutes figuring out how to enjoy a skill based game, but maybe if the process behind the show (ie: games allotted to judges) can recognize games that wont stream well initially and have some sort of plan for that. Some types of games simply wont be cool to figure out live on a stream when some reflexive or mechanical skill building is required and I think it's a shame to exclude those games from getting something resembling "fair attention" on the stream for that reason alone.

edit: I'm sure this wont go over well but maybe having two categories of jam submissions, "experimental" and "polished", where you can evaluate a game more on the criteria for what it's going for instead of "is this a hyper polished sellable game", because I'm not very interested in making those and I really like this jam and want to see more people exploring interesting mechanics and ideas and getting hung up less on "JONTERP PROOF POLISH"

a cyberpunk goose fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Aug 7, 2017

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

I didn't want to have this discussion because I knew it wouldn't really go anywhere productive. I think the format of the gong show specifically is arbitrarily limiting and could be expanded to be more about discussing the strengths of games and maybe not on a first-time-play basis if a game isn't about a first-time polished experience. It's even more arbitrary when you realize that the gong show has nothing to do with the judging process, it's just for fun.

NuclearEagleFox!!! posted:

Maybe just allow teams to opt out of the Gong Show when they submit?
Why?

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

JonTerp posted:

I mean we could go back to the days before we had the judges in each block to act as game ambassadors where every game is just a repeat of the "No Call Men" dumpster fire segment from the first Gong Show. To put a clear line of separation between judging and the Gong Show.

Why is this so black & white?

quote:

To sum everything up, the Gong Show is designed to punish complex games that lack good design, which in the real world would get eaten alive by most game players. By design it encourages slick, well though out, and engaging games. It's purposefully abrasive to games lacking tight design.The amount of effort you put into making a game is completely irrelevant when evaluating the game's qualities. If we told everyone they did an equally great job and everything about their game is a beautiful snowflake just the way it is we'd be doing a tremendous disservice to all contestants.

This is a very defensive post coming from you, it reads like someone who doesn't want to admit that maybe their format kinda sucks in some situations or has limits.

"If we told everyone they did an equally great job and everything about their game is a beautiful snowflake just the way it is we'd be doing a tremendous disservice to all contestants."

Like where is this coming from? This was never a part of any of the discussion so far. If that's what you're taking away from my gong show format criticism then I'm extra frustrated.

a cyberpunk goose fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Aug 7, 2017

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

JonTerp posted:

It would help me understand what you're trying to suggest more if you used examples or situations, because if you just say "Some games don't get the time they deserve on the Gong Show." All I can say is that we will try to do better next year.

(this is all specific to the Gong Show)

I feel like maybe the gong show could do well to have more than just you running it. Maybe have a block per judge, take IJ for example, IJ runs a very conscientious patient show and gives a lot of thought into his comments and feedback.

Some attempt could be given to allot games to blocks based on the style of judging the judge goes for. For Jon I'd focus on assigning games that are clearly going for polish & raw execution for a first time experience (OVERREACH, the bootleg kr3w), for someone like IJ I'd assign Legs, SlimShine, maybe loosen the notion of the games having to be a first-play experience as per the judge's discretion and maybe with some optional-to-follow guidance on the game's page ("hey give this game like 15 minutes of goofing before you feel done with it").

I think the Gong Show is the best opportunity to have serialized catalogued discussion about the failures and successes of various games and it kinda blows to just eat throw a stack of games with one minor set of superficial basis for judgement (their sheer polished/juiciness/super-short-term-playability, currently).

a cyberpunk goose fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Aug 7, 2017

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

JonTerp posted:

We don't like that it's this way, since Gong Show was never meant to be a "showcase" and are working toward getting more exposure for submitted games on other popular streams.

Okay, well some feedback then: it'd be cool if it was this way, or had some room to be this way in some cases.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Xibanya posted:

I'm not dismissing this idea or endorsing it, but speaking as someone who has done a Bootleg Gong Show (:haw:) this would be insane to do because of the logistics involved in setting up the stream. There's actually quite a lot of setup involved in having guests and having them all talk with acceptable audio levels and letting the guests see the host play without latency and then showing the commentary + game stream to the audience. It would only really be feasible if they all were in the same room, which, as you could imagine, would be difficult to arrange.

I'm well aware, still good thoughts though :)

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

JossiRossi posted:

There's a lot in here that is either factually wrong, ignoring the point, or childishly passive aggressive, but out of all of that, the part that confuses me most is that you tested An Video Game and got "a lot of people" to honestly tell you it was pretty good.

:eyepop: I agree with everything Afal posted so I'm not sure where this is coming from.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

All of this to say "no it's my style, therefore I can't change and your feedback is dumb and bad and you just don't get it!!" about a stream format, all the screeds aren't really necessary, "ok point taken, we'll think about some things for next year" is enough, but instead it's always loaded with faux bewilderment and kinda passive aggressive defensiveness. I get frustrated with this specific community's inability to have a simple analytical discussion without being about absolutes. Y'all are bad at taking criticism for a group trying to be about criticism, it's why I deleted my original post and I'm sorry I bothered. See you next time.

I don't have all the answers, something just feels off about how the gong show functions and I wanted to give feedback to that respect. I don't really care as much as y'all are projecting that I do, but I want my criticism to be received properly and not just lazily deflected. The post above mine is ridiculous.

Thank you Giggs vvvvv

a cyberpunk goose fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Aug 8, 2017

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

TodPunk posted:

No, it is neither dismissive or mean. It is addressing a specific arc which was expressed in several posts. If you're taking it literally, I'm open to rewording suggestions rather than painting antagonism where there is none. Either have the productive conversation you claim to aim for, or argue. I'll join you for one of them.

If you have suggestions for what more could be construed /from/ the Gong Show, I'm all ears and the other judges will attest I am willing to ask these kinds of things, as I often do. They just can't amount to one of the following, because these have been addressed ad nauseam:

- "I don't like it." (Not because we don't want to reach you, but because this is meaningless and unactionable)
- "I want it to do other things outside the aims of the GS" (The goals have been stated. If it detracts from those goals, we all agree that's the wrong direction for the GS specifically)
- "I want it to do a thing that will take monumental effort" (This is the most plausible productive point that has to be dismissed because it is a cost/benefit problem. There have been a few of these over the years.)

Now accepting points that pass this filter. Try me if you don't know if it will pass, I'll let you down easy if you are trying to be earnest. I would advise not throwing accusations of my intent, though. You either give me the benefit of the doubt or I won't extend you the favor back.

You suck and this sort of ultra rigid criteria for discussion blows

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Hammer Bro. posted:

In aggregate, your actions even before this point create the impression of one who would rather be offended than further a cause.

Only if you ignore how my basic originally careful statements were construed and thrown back at me by a lot of internet warriors who aren't really saying anything constructive, in a discussion I originally had renegged and chosen not to have (but was pulled back in :smith: still my fault). I don't owe anyone anything, no one owes me anything, I just think the Gong Show can probably come up with a way to let less games "Fall through the cracks" as it were without a dramatic restructuring or huge time reinvestment, we could probably figure this out if people were less busy trying to say "RIGHT!!" "WRONG!!!"

edit: Like returning to the idea of "a checkbox to opt out of the gong show" is almost valid in my eyes, but moreso if all that did was move your game into a secondary bucket of games to showcase after the gong show. You barely have to do anything differently re: the format, go through the gong show games the way you do, then maybe get a bunch of less game-style-partisan devs/jammers/judges in to discord for thumbing over the non-gong-show games, discuss the merits y'all have discovered and maybe encourage the driving-streamer down a path or two a little longer than you'd allow for the gong show, then move on once you feel you've explored what the game has to offer in a discussion. Combine them all in the end in a youtube video of "Gong Show & Showcase Games".

This satisfies both the people working to deliver hyper polished "I want to do games as a living" style, spank me jonTerp :allears: entries, and the "I'm doing weird poo poo and don't expect it to click right away" :shepface: entries, without a major restructure of how the stream is actually organized or is edited and ran.

a cyberpunk goose fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Aug 8, 2017

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Dieting Hippo posted:

I love the gong show and wouldn't change it for the world. It's a roast where we can all get together and laugh at the same stuff each of us did wrong or hilariously right in the same short timespan. However, it does sound like there's also a desire to have a more long-form stream spotlight on some games outside the gong show format. This is okay too!

That's why I'm going to volunteer doing a stream a few nights this week for chilling and discussing some games from the jam, tentatively called Jamflix and Chill.

What I'm planning on doing is an hour-long stream split into two half-hour blocks, one game for each block. There is a slight twist though; I will only stream a game if one or more of the team members will come on stream (via discord) and discuss the game with me. We'll have a nice chat, I'll ask some easy and hard questions, all while the game is being played. It'll be super laid-back and allow some devs to discuss how they operated during the jam or what pitfalls they hit.

Right now I'm planning on hosting these streams sometime tomorrow around 6 PM PST until Friday or however long my attention holds out. That means I'm looking for anyone who wants to show their game off and discuss their experience that can also be on around this time with a microphone. Please volunteer in PM (or on Discord) with what day Tuesday-Friday you can be on and we can work out the arrangements!

If there is a lack of dev volunteers then I will pick a game at random and start streaming regardless. So get in contact right away!

:3: This rules, you're a hero

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Next year I'm going to also contribute to/champion/participate in a thorough per game critique stream similar to the one Giggs is proffering on a per request/recommendation/arbitrary basis. Anyone (inc JonTerp :wink:) will be welcome to join. This can also function as a critical mass for the rare MP-only/heavy game entry, I can wrangle irl friends for same-screen combat games too (see: OVERREACH)

quote:

I posted to cut through drama. There are a couple posters that need not be named that are simply whining

This is feeding the drama fwiw, criticism or charged language you don't like isn't "simply whining"

a cyberpunk goose fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Aug 8, 2017

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Hammer Bro. posted:

Why wait 'til next year? There are plenty of people still itching for reviews, and you will feel better about the events of this year's review-oriented-activities if you've demonstrably objectively improved the situation.

I know how much work goes into a stream worth watching, I didn't set my life up to do a stream this week or next and I've got a full rear end calendar :shrug: I'm going to do written reviews when I get a moment to breath though, if anyone wants a review please say so

Edit: I could do some video reviews of games per request though, not in a live format

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Jamflix and chill has sated my dark hunger, feel free to not change the gong format everybody, false alarm, this is great!!

• Locked thread