Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luggage
Aug 29, 2009
I've worked my way through most of a book about making games with ActionScript 3.0 before and also did about a dozen tutorial games in C++ a few years back. I'm pretty much an enthusiast newbie coder and would like to use my free July to participate. I am not married to any platform or language. What's a good and free framework/language/library to spend the next 1-2 weeks learning to have a decent basis to stumble myself through a basic game prototype for this jam? I'm not adverse to math, but unless it is ridiculously simple, I'd rather forego 3D for 2D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009

Heran Bago posted:

Unreal Engine 4. :getin:

My first programming language was also Actionscript. Unreal has a visual block-and-spaghetti-based programming language that's fun, or you can go with C++. It has decent built-in tutorials and tons of great ones online. It can be used for 2D or 3D, but is mostly 3D. It's also free now.

Thanks, mate. I'll check it out. Time to get moving.

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009

Heran Bago posted:

Unreal Engine 4. :getin:

My first programming language was also Actionscript. Unreal has a visual block-and-spaghetti-based programming language that's fun, or you can go with C++. It has decent built-in tutorials and tons of great ones online. It can be used for 2D or 3D, but is mostly 3D. It's also free now.
One more on that recommendation, from what I see Unreal Engine is exclusively for 3D stuff. I am definitely looking towards 2D as a beginner. Is this possible with Unreal Engine? And since they get compared a lot, how easy is 2D stuff with Unity?

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009

Chernabog posted:

You can work in Unity in 3D or 2D without much difference and there are tutorials on basically everything.
Thank you sir. Think I will invest 10 bucks into a Udemy course for one of the combinations (Unity & C# or Unreal & C++), as they are both dirt cheap atm.

• Locked thread