Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
Don't forget room on the wall of shame for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Tube posted:

If I were to compete this year (which I haven't in a few, and probably won't this year either), would it be acceptable under the current rules to create art assets using stop-motion animation of real-world objects such as, say, action figures or Barbie dolls? I've considered doing that several years running now, and just couldn't be bothered to take the time, but who knows, maybe this year will be different.

Rotoscope the Barbie dolls.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Given Nintendo's recent habit of DMCA-ing fan games, I'd avoid poking any Nintendo properties should you decide to take the theme that literally. But that's just my opinion.

They can't stop parody. It's legally protected.

That's not just my opinion, but I am not a lawyer and do not provide legal advice.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Day one:
Settled on concept
Talked to artist
Get Ready!

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

COOL CORN posted:

drat that's cool at heck, I don't even know where to begin with NES programming.

http://nesdev.com

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Week 1: decide on project
Week 2: procrastinate
Week 3: ???

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Shoehead posted:

I got bodies to block shots! It seems kinda minor but it paves the way for dudes hiding behind cover!

Also have an action shot! (pre health, but it looks dangerous at least)

Please make a dudetype that constantly tries to hind behind other dudes.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Love Stole the Day posted:

I'm also feeling like the Wall of Shame sounds like a good place for my hopes and dreams. I really need to spend a few hours mapping out how exactly all of these mechanics are going to be implemented.

Some of us were born to sit atop the wall of shame.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

a cyberpunk goose posted:

where do cool people get free sound effects to mash together in 2017?

Sonisss gdc audio bundle 2015, 2016, 2017

I have several minutes of water through pipes, nails on glass, bees, etc

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Dieting Hippo posted:

oh yeah, encouragement is A-OK, but going "no, wait, what you want to do is hit a bit earlier- no, earli- earlier than that" would be a violation. and in the context of a show floor or a super-chill environment i can definitely see giving assistance. but if you're wanting the pure view of someone playing your game at home without the dev to help, point 2 is the super brutal way to go :unsmigghh:

When I'm on a show floor and a dev tries to babby's first game explain how to play at me, I stare at them for 3-5s and then walk away from the game. Because they ruined the play test for both them and me.

As a developer, play testing other people's in development games is great because you can directly see situations where gameplay doesn't work and try to relate that back to your own games.

It happens at least once at every event I go to. I guess some people just don't want to see people get frustrated at playing their game. Even if the goal of those people is to get frustrated at playing their game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

TodPunk posted:

No, it is neither dismissive or mean. It is addressing a specific arc which was expressed in several posts. If you're taking it literally, I'm open to rewording suggestions rather than painting antagonism where there is none. Either have the productive conversation you claim to aim for, or argue. I'll join you for one of them.

If you have suggestions for what more could be construed /from/ the Gong Show, I'm all ears and the other judges will attest I am willing to ask these kinds of things, as I often do. They just can't amount to one of the following, because these have been addressed ad nauseam:

- "I don't like it." (Not because we don't want to reach you, but because this is meaningless and unactionable)
- "I want it to do other things outside the aims of the GS" (The goals have been stated. If it detracts from those goals, we all agree that's the wrong direction for the GS specifically)
- "I want it to do a thing that will take monumental effort" (This is the most plausible productive point that has to be dismissed because it is a cost/benefit problem. There have been a few of these over the years.)

Now accepting points that pass this filter. Try me if you don't know if it will pass, I'll let you down easy if you are trying to be earnest. I would advise not throwing accusations of my intent, though. You either give me the benefit of the doubt or I won't extend you the favor back.

Emphasis added. Thought you should know your posting is actively hostile. Not sure if that's your intent.

• Locked thread