Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Sure, I'm in. Got just a little bit left of Claudius the God and need something interesting to read next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
Just started, almost done with part one. Very readable and entertaining so far, got my inner Roman history geek tickled pretty good too.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
History is generally full of batshit stuff like that.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
Finished, was a good and cool read. Now I've got a craving for dried and salted cod and I'm also pretty sure I'll be putting the author's earlier book Cod on my to-read list.

(I come from a long line of Norwegian fishermen -- everyone up to my grandfather and uncle made their living hauling fish (a lot of it cod) out of the North Sea. Dried and salted cod was a major export article from the region where I live (still is today, really, it's just the rest of the economy has grown more) and we traded a lot with the continent and got back some little bits of foreign culture -- the "national dish" of the area is an Portuguese-style casserole based on that dried and salted cod, featuring lots of tomatoes and olive oil and hot peppers and stuff that you wouldn't really associate with traditional Norwegian cuisine, but there you have it. Goddamn now I'm hungry.)

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Kurlansky also wrote a similar history of cod, titled "Cod: a Biography of the Fish that Changed the World."

I believe I may already have been aware of that, yes.

...seems these days for every book I read, my to-read pile grows by at least one more (#firstworldproblems)...

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
Well, as I already mentioned, salted cod is awesome, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

so everyone is agreed that, in honor of the death of noted author Michael Bond, next months' BotM will be "A Bear Called Paddington"

we're all cool with that right

Well, seems to be available on the Kindle and it would hit the "nonhuman perspective" point in the booklord challenge.

• Locked thread