Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Maxwell Lord posted:

Lesnar being the champ has kinda done a number on my interest. He's rarely on TV, and there's not a real sense of him being involved in stories or anything- he's a part time guy who shows up to work a few big matches, and so the RAW main event scene is just sorta quiet. It's like "Okay, but who should we be following? Who should we be rooting for?" It really doesn't feel like anyone is getting a push right now.

I remember right after Mania that I thought they were finally doing Brock The Offscreen right. On the one hand, you had Rollins, finally getting some loving traction as a face and starting to, as Austin said, figure out who he was as a character was with the promos about how he wouldn't run from Stephanie to be on Smackdown and doing things the easy way was the biggest mistake of his life. He comes out and says he fought Brock once, but he's a far different man today than he was in that match and now he is BEGGING for the chance to fight Lesnar again. On the other hand, you had Balor, fresh off his injury, red hot with the fans, its the match everyone wants to see because Finn is the only guy who's beaten Roman clean and thus their last desperate hope for an alternative out of universe and the uncrowned champion who never lost his title with his special Demon Paint Powers that kayfabe might give him and edge nobody else has in universe. On top of that, you had the fact that Rollins caused Balor's injury, which at the moment they had more or less dropped but was something that could easily be picked back up to fill in some story. And lastly, you had the newly arrived Bray, a perfect foil for The Demon despite his shattered credibility, and the still hot Samoa Joe who already had great groundwork with Seth laid, to serve as gatekeepers between Our Two Heroic Rivals and the Final Boss.

It was all so perfect. Brock's presence loomed over everything without him needing to be there because he served as a mountain that the two faces were constantly promising that they would climb, and with Joe and Bray and (presumably) Heyman around to provide obstacles to that goal, we would have every reason to root for either or both of them to finally get that match and delude ourselves into thinking maybe they could win instead of just setting up Roman at next Mania.

Instead we have this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cams
Mar 28, 2003

joe should squash lesnar

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Maxwell Lord posted:

Lesnar being the champ has kinda done a number on my interest. He's rarely on TV, and there's not a real sense of him being involved in stories or anything- he's a part time guy who shows up to work a few big matches, and so the RAW main event scene is just sorta quiet. It's like "Okay, but who should we be following? Who should we be rooting for?" It really doesn't feel like anyone is getting a push right now.

It's an incredible testament to how the WWE can get its audience to care about a thing when they really throw their weight behind it that the Universal Championship, which did not exist twelve months ago, is now inarguably The Belt, and the WWE Championship, the definitive title in all of wrestling, is sort of an afterthought--and it is also a sign of how routinely they shoot themselves in the loving foot that they spent all that time getting the Universal Championship over so they could ensure it was almost never actually on WWE programming, and now they want everyone to pay attention to the shocking things going on with the WWE Championship but they've done too good a job of making it the less important belt.

also the WWE has 9 belts (13 if you count NXT) and the only face holding one is Naomi; that's pretty bad

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Chris James 2 posted:

Somewhere out there is someone who thinks "this Seth feud,

this Seth feud,

this is the one feud Bray's gonna win, yep"

Hey now, Bray has won plenty of feuds before, just in ways that made him look like complete poo poo.

Remember when we won the Ryback feud, only for Ryback to win the IC title the next week while Bray vanished from TV for a few weeks?

Remember when he won the New Day feud without ever getting the tag titles?

Remember how he technically won the Orton feud without getting his title back?

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Rhonne posted:

Remember when he won the New Day feud without ever getting the tag titles?

That New Day feud was great, even the dumb swamp brawl that was clearly ripping off the Broken Hardyz had good parts in it that shined through its overall stupidness. Bray and Xavier told a hell of a story in that blowoff match, the way Bray went over and how much New Day sold the family was one of the biggest reasons people had hope for Bray going into the Brand Split, and every guy in both stables justified their presence and added to the whole of the feud over its duration, even Erik freakin' Rowan.

You should have said "Remember when he 'pinned,' Dean Ambrose after the guy defeated himself with an exploding TV?" Although I supposed technically Dean won that feud with the Ambulance match...

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
After watching the PPV, I think the most baffling thing in the Bayley/Bliss match was Baylee being hesitant on using a kendo stick on Bliss after suplexing her onto the goddamn exposed floor.

One of those two things can actually seriously loving hurt a person. It is not the Kendo stick. Very weird disconnect there.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
was raw goo-

nevermind. sorry guys.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Veryslightlymad posted:

After watching the PPV, I think the most baffling thing in the Bayley/Bliss match was Baylee being hesitant on using a kendo stick on Bliss after suplexing her onto the goddamn exposed floor.

One of those two things can actually seriously loving hurt a person. It is not the Kendo stick. Very weird disconnect there.

Bayley has been established to have the mental capacity of a child so she doesn't understand how doing anything with your bare hands could be more harmful than doing anything with a weapon.

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

Sanguinia posted:

You should have said "Remember when he 'pinned,' Dean Ambrose after the guy defeated himself with an exploding TV?" Although I supposed technically Dean won that feud with the Ambulance match...

Actually Dean lost that one too but I don't blame you. That feud already lost all credibility when the exploding monitor and Hatsune Miku happened.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

That RAW seems vastly better than Extreme Rules. The Miz and Joe own

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
I haven' t been watching lately but I've been following and I'm just appalled at how badly they hosed up Bayley, Sasha and Sami. I was at NXT Brooklyn when Sasha and Bayley had their match there and they were loving superstars. They stole the show from Owens and Balor. Bayley is the face they need to build around to replace Cena and they can't loving see it for some reason. I heard she was getting booed yesterday. I'm just not interested in seeing them waste talent like this.

On the other hand, I am really looking forward to Joe and Brock. That's probably gonna be real fun.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Sugar Blaster posted:

raw was pretty okay. samoa joe segment with paul heyman was tits out.

Yeah I loved that Joe segment, I really dug the moment he got in real close to Heyman and calmly explained he was going to put a beating on him, not out of malice but purely so Heyman could deliver a more effective message on his behalf to Brock.

Rest of the show was eh, okay. Surprising and controversial opinion time: 3 hours is too long.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Yes, but:

Seriously, what was the deal with that move? Between that and the elbow to the corner botchfest, a newer friend I've watched with basically thinks Bayley is a complete joke.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I for one am glad it seems they're doing Bray/Seth and Roman/Finn rather than Finn/Bray. Also if Brock gave a gently caress that's a hell of a set of three big matches for Testicles: The PPV.

Also that Dean/Miz segment was an example of how to do something like This Is Your Life right. That was a good segment, and I'm bored of the feud even.

cams posted:

joe should squash lesnar

MARK YOUR loving CALENDARS

I AGREE WITH CAMS

gently caress Brock, Joe should punk him out utterly.

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jun 6, 2017

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I for one am glad it seems they're doing Bray/Seth and Roman/Finn rather than Finn/Bray.

I mean, who WOULDN'T want to see Roman destroy Finn Balor three or four matches strait so Vince can be satisfied that we'll forget that he beat him once on a random Raw? Much better that Bray fight Rollins, because Rollins is known for his engaging promo style that will totally play well off of Bray's, and his character would never undermine Bray's already razor-thin credibility with snarky comments and general cocky disregard for his opponent's threat level.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
I missed Raw and it sounds like I didn't miss anything worthwhile except disappointment in Nia's booking.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Choke out Brock with the Cocaine Clutch in about 2-4 minutes and then slap him around while he's out.

Enough of that already. Go away, Brock.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

bayley, bray, sasha, the cruiserweights in general. why are there so many political hits going on in "the back", these days. goodness

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Has anyone actually tapped to the Gogeta Clutch instead of passing out

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Oh Snapple! posted:

Has anyone actually tapped to the Gogeta Clutch instead of passing out

Omega Shenron

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I still can't get over Randy's half Vulcan brother Ted. :allears:

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

AlmightyPants posted:

Bayley is the face they need to build around to replace Cena and they can't loving see it for some reason.

I have followed her since before she was even that popular in NXT and the fact that people actually believe this is absolutely baffling.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Mulaney Power Move posted:

I have followed her since before she was even that popular in NXT and the fact that people actually believe this is absolutely baffling.

The funniest part about that line is that for ages Cena was bad because he was popular with women and children, but when it came to Bayley it was a positive that she was very popular with women and children, then the biggest TV match of her career showed a historic collapse in women viewership.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Mulaney Power Move posted:

People believe it because they saw and were told by every pundit and insider that Bayley has a unique ability to connect with children, both the young boys who already watch the show and acting as a draw to young girls who don't watch the show. She also has a poo poo ton of marketable features to her character and outfit that can translate into merchandise.

We were told for years and years that the reason WWE ignored their audience reactions and core fanbase's dislike of Cena was because he was popular with kids and sold so much merchandise that nothing else mattered. The logic is pretty clear: Bayley connects with kids, in fact even more than Cena if she can pull in little girls without losing little boys, and she's super merchandiseable, and as the cherry on top she was the one out of the Four Horsemen of their WOMEN'S REVOLUTION(tm) that the core fanbase liked the most. If she can do everything that Cena could do, plus everything Cena COULDN'T do, you would have to be an idiot not to push her as your top star, especially in an era after Ronda Rousey already proved that a woman could fill that Top Star role even in a male dominated sport if she's handled properly.

I don't know if I agree with all of that, but I certainly don't find myself in shocked disbelief that anyone could think it.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Didnt we like hated Cenas guts? Where did this Bayley is the next Cena stupid thing came from?

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

DoctorGonzo posted:

Didnt we like hated Cenas guts? Where this Bayley is the next Cena stupid thing come from?

2015, when wrestling fans learned from MMA that women could be stars and were desperate to cling to whichever they could from developmental as totally the wrestling Ronda Rousey.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

DoctorGonzo posted:

Didnt we like hated Cenas guts? Where did this Bayley is the next Cena stupid thing came from?

The fact that WWE's actions have made it clear that the only thing they would allow to replace Cena was something functionally identical to Cena rather than something new, so people were hoping that we could get somebody we like in that spot instead of somebody we hate.

Instead we got Roman. On the bright side, he taught us just how dumb we were to not like Cena while we had him.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Anyone who looks at that Bayley rolling gif and thinks "Oh yes, this person can be even vaguely compared to Ronda Rousey" should apply for a job on the Raw booking team because they understand exactly as much of what made Ronda work as the booking team since the WOMEN'S REVOLUTION poo poo started does.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Also Alexa Crew you hear that, it is all because of Roman that Alexa is being pushed over Bayley.

Time for Roman and Alexa Crew to unite, we can call it Alexandria.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I ship Alexa with the Miz thank you very much.

Also they have a Ronda dying over on SD. Becky is the only one who could pull off the atletic badass.

edit: Bayley is the same idiot as she was on nxt and Asuka also beat her rear end, i dont see this BUT RAW RUINED HER thing you are all talking about.

DoctorGonzo fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jun 6, 2017

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

rare Magic card l00k posted:

nice

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Sanguinia posted:

People believe it because they saw and were told by every pundit and insider that Bayley has a unique ability to connect with children, both the young boys who already watch the show and acting as a draw to young girls who don't watch the show. She also has a poo poo ton of marketable features to her character and outfit that can translate into merchandise.

We were told for years and years that the reason WWE ignored their audience reactions and core fanbase's dislike of Cena was because he was popular with kids and sold so much merchandise that nothing else mattered. The logic is pretty clear: Bayley connects with kids, in fact even more than Cena if she can pull in little girls without losing little boys, and she's super merchandiseable, and as the cherry on top she was the one out of the Four Horsemen of their WOMEN'S REVOLUTION(tm) that the core fanbase liked the most. If she can do everything that Cena could do, plus everything Cena COULDN'T do, you would have to be an idiot not to push her as your top star, especially in an era after Ronda Rousey already proved that a woman could fill that Top Star role even in a male dominated sport if she's handled properly.

I don't know if I agree with all of that, but I certainly don't find myself in shocked disbelief that anyone could think it.

All of this was always theoretical since NXT is like an alternate universe, so I never saw a reason to buy any of it and the bigger the claim, the bigger my disbelief. Wrestling pundits are also dipshits, and I like to kiss my own rear end.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
nxt had better booking. that's all there is to it, really.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

cams posted:

joe should squash lesnar

Like, with his butt?

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
I think Titus has feuded with every black guy on RAW. Looking forward to Titus vs Sasha Banks... unless they wanna give Otunga a run.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Like, with his butt?

joe/lesnar to reenact the andre/bad news brown incident

Seams fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jun 6, 2017

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Is the Quinoa Clutch Joe's only main roster finisher? It loving sucks. Bring back the muscle buster.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Raw was a good way to avoid the Pens/Preds game and was a good show regardless

https://twitter.com/WWE/status/871957492510543873

WadeBartender
Aug 18, 2013

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Also Alexa Crew you hear that, it is all because of Roman that Alexa is being pushed over Bayley.

Roman actually knows how to wrestle good matches though, the only thing Alexa anywhere near his level is the ability to make nerds horny but Roman's still better at that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
I got back into wrestling in early 2016 and these threads were hype for Bayley and Enzo/Cass to debut on the main roster but I would watch them and just see a dumb cartoon for babies. But I thought you know what, I don't know as much about wrestling maybe these folks can see something I don't.

But now after watching for a year and a half I realize the truth is that wrestling makes your brain really bad.

• Locked thread