Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I thought that you had to collect all the sapphire treasures and hand them over to Valanice at the end, or you would get a bad ending because you didn't have them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

HardDiskD posted:

I thought that you had to collect all the sapphire treasures and hand them over to Valanice at the end, or you would get a bad ending because you didn't have them all.

That would be something. The other treasures in KQ1 had some utility after you got them. These are just "pick up and forget" outside of the point counter.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

HardDiskD posted:

She might remark on them if you GIVE them TO her, but it has been decades since I played this last and I might be conflating with another adventure game.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Sage Grimm posted:

She might remark on them if you GIVE them TO her, but it has been decades since I played this last and I might be conflating with another adventure game.

DoubleNegative, please?

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

sfwarlock posted:

Points. Adventure game design was still in the "Zork era" where you got points for grabbing random treasures. (Never mind that Daventry has a magic chest that provides unlimited gold.)

Which is especially funny, since even Zork was entirely out of that era by the third game. Some traditions die hard, though.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Xander77 posted:

The worst KQ game. And that's saying something.

I dunno. 4 has its moments. Which I won't say even in spoilers.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DoubleNegative posted:

: If you have enjoyed this game, please ask your LPer about the availability of King's Quest III -- To Heir is to Human.

What is LP in this context?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Something to try.... Hm....

>use sword on princess

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

sfwarlock posted:

I dunno. 4 has its moments. Which I won't say even in spoilers.

if you walk onto a certain screen - which is coincidentally between you and a place you need to be - before you're ready instead of going around it, you become a dead man walking

the game does not tell you this

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Chuu posted:

King's Quest III was originally distributed on vinyl records

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Item Getter posted:

King's Quest III was originally distributed on vinyl records

I remember those load screens. "Please flip to Side B and press play on turntable"

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
And changing the walking speed from 33 to 45 or up to 78 if you were crazy.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

where the red fern gropes posted:

if you walk onto a certain screen - which is coincidentally between you and a place you need to be - before you're ready instead of going around it, you become a dead man walking

the game does not tell you this

On the other hand, 4 had some really good things going for it.

I wouldn't call it the worst kq

That title belongs to 8

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016
I really love KQ4. It's probably my favorite after KQ6 and KQ3. Better than KQ5 and KQ7. Not sure what it is about it... It has such a unique feel.

mauman posted:

On the other hand, 4 had some really good things going for it.

I wouldn't call it the worst kq

That title belongs to 8

Personally, I don't even consider Mask of Eternity to be the eighth King's Quest game, given it wasn't numbered and seems much more like a side title -- i.e., equivalent to Battlespire and Redguard, side titles to the Elder Scrolls main series. If I had to rate it alongside the other games, though, I don't think I would place it at the bottom... It's better than KQ2. KQ2 is the worst game in the series, IMO. A barren retread of KQ1 with nothing innovative on offer, other than the Batmobile.

Bloops Crusts fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jul 12, 2017

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
I consider Mask of Eternity to be KQ8; the in-game files actually call it KQ8!

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Bloops Crusts posted:

Personally, I don't even consider Mask of Eternity to be the eighth King's Quest game, given it wasn't numbered and seems much more like a side title -- i.e., equivalent to Battlespire and Redguard, side titles to the Elder Scrolls main series. If I had to rate it alongside the other games, though, I don't think I would place it at the bottom... It's better than KQ2. KQ2 is the worst game in the series, IMO. A barren retread of KQ1 with nothing innovative on offer, other than the Batmobile.

Snorb posted:

I consider Mask of Eternity to be KQ8; the in-game files actually call it KQ8!

Is this one of those arguments like "Ultima 7 was the last true Ultima game" because they massively hosed up the plot? Or were they just kinda shittier than the average?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

Is this one of those arguments like "Ultima 7 was the last true Ultima game" because they massively hosed up the plot? Or were they just kinda shittier than the average?

Okay, SO.

The rest of the KQ games are actual adventure games. KQ8/Mask of Eternity is instead a third-person "RPG" where you run around chopping things up with a sword and shooting arrows at other things, while very occasionally using items to solve puzzles or interacting with non-hostile characters. I also think it's one of the few cases where you play someone more or less totally unassociated with the royal house.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

As Purple said - it completely changes the Genre and has barely any connection with the rest of the series plotwise or tonally.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

PurpleXVI posted:

Okay, SO.

The rest of the KQ games are actual adventure games. KQ8/Mask of Eternity is instead a third-person "RPG" where you run around chopping things up with a sword and shooting arrows at other things, while very occasionally using items to solve puzzles or interacting with non-hostile characters. I also think it's one of the few cases where you play someone more or less totally unassociated with the royal house.

Robindaybird posted:

As Purple said - it completely changes the Genre and has barely any connection with the rest of the series plotwise or tonally.

"Last real Ultima" then. Got it. :v:

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

Bloops Crusts posted:

I really love KQ4. It's probably my favorite after KQ6 and KQ3. Better than KQ5 and KQ7. Not sure what it is about it... It has such a unique feel.

Personally, I don't even consider Mask of Eternity to be the eighth King's Quest game, given it wasn't numbered and seems much more like a side title -- i.e., equivalent to Battlespire and Redguard, side titles to the Elder Scrolls main series.

In fact, this seems to have been the idea. Sadly, not only it failed, it was the final nail in thew coffin of the saga.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
My favorite Kings Quests were the one with Rosella (KQ4?), definitely KQ5 (loved the treasure cave and the infinite desert part, for some reason) and TBH I actually really enjoyed KQ3.

However my all time favorite game of the genre/era was Space Quest V. Even though I never finished it as a kid, because I got stuck in a stupid location ... at the part where you have to board the enemy ship; I apparently ended up in the wrong part, so actually cutting through the hull would result in instant game over; with no way to back out. Even following a walkthrough I could never get it right... I loved how much it referenced the previous games in the series, especially SQ3 (my other favorite Space Quest).

Really hope we end up getting to those games as well.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Hello everyone, and welcome to the bonus update for King's Quest II. This isn't necessarily going to be very long, but it should cover some of the things that I missed. I won't claim all, because some stuff requires playing through the game and not doing certain things.

Also, I'm going to break the storytelling convention I've been using for the past two games for this update, as it's not part of the main story proper. So expect to see a lot of second person pronouns being thrown around.

I asked you all what interactions you wanted to see me try. So here's a list of what I went through the game doing...

Buy solutions with treasure
Kiss everybody
Kill everybody
Swim in the neon ocean
Try to give Valanice treasure

So let's start with Hagatha's cave. I believe I mentioned it at the time, but she randomly will be in here when you enter. First off...

>push hagatha in cauldron
>kill hagatha

: The old hag is stronger than she looks. You shouldn't try it.

You get the same response for trying either option. So there's no solving this the King's Quest I way.

>kiss hagatha

: Smack, hug, woopie!, yuck, barf, gag.

I have no idea. I guess Hagatha liked it? :shrug:

Moving on, let's get Graham added to some government watch lists.

>kill girl

: That would be incredibly nasty!

>kiss girl

: You don't need to be kissing little girls.

I feel dirty having tried that.

Right next to where Little Red Riding Hood appears is Grandma and the Wolf.

>kill grandma

: You are supposed to be the good guy. Good guys don't kill kindly little old grandmas.

>kiss grandma

: Watch it! Whatever she has might be catching.

With the villainous characters, there's a bit of a trend going with the kill and kiss commands.

>kill wolf

: You can't do that -- at least not now!

>kiss wolf

: Not right now!

The trend being that neither works. The Big Bad Wolf is alone in there being no programmed response to either.

Anyway, from here on most characters don't have a specific reaction to Graham taking Love Potion #9. So I'll just omit kiss reactions unless it's funny.

It took me a surprisingly long time to find the dwarf. I had to wander around for several minutes with the command typed before he showed up.

>kill dwarf

: The dwarf is too fast on his feet. You could never catch him.

If you get caught by the dwarf, this is what pops up. So let's go get our treasure back.

: He has caught you and thrown you out! Instantly, you find yourself outside the treehouse.

Skipping ahead...

>look in chest

: You look inside and notice... earrings, necklace.

Apparently when the dwarf collided with us earlier, he stole the diamond and sapphire necklace.

Next we find ourselves in the mission. This is one of the more infamous reactions in the game.

>kill monk

: Anyone who would kill a man of the cloth doesn't deserve to play this game. Therefore, we will end it.

Yep. The game will straight up kill you for trying to murder the monk. The remake turns this on its ear by making the monk evil... and a werewolf.

Moving on again, we stumbled across the enchanter.

: Poooooof! The evil enchanter has turned you into a cute little froggy. Ribbit, ribbit!

In the first game, the enchanter just stunned you for like 20 seconds. While you were stunned, the game could decide to gently caress you over by randomly spawning something else to actually kill you.

Speaking of which...

>kill enchanter

: The evil enchanter is magic! There is nothing you can do!

Also...

>open door

: The antique store is closed. You cannot enter it.

This game makes heavy use of plot flags. The mermaid doesn't show up until you've read the first door inscription. The antique shop doesn't unlock until you've read the second door. Finally, the ghoul on the poisonous lake doesn't appear until you read the last inscription.

So let's fast forward a bit...

>kiss mermaid

: Don't get too close! You might frighten her.

>kill mermaid

: Wrong move! You frightened the poor mermaid. She dives into the water and disappears.

You just have to leave the screen and return to make her reappear. So let's give her a treasure instead of Little Red Riding Hood's flowers...

>give necklace to mermaid

: The mermaid gladly takes you treasure. In return, she summons forth from the sea a magic seahorse! Maybe you could ride it.

>kill neptune

: Hurting King Neptune would not be a wise thing to do. If he doesn't get you, then his fish will.

Skipping ahead some more... Let's buy that lamp. If you remember, she wanted either her nightingale back, or two priceless diamond and sapphire studded treasures.

>give brooch to lady

: The little old lady gladly takes your offered treasure.
: That is one treasure. I need one more for the oil lamp.

>give earrings to lady

: The little old lady takes the second treasure. She motions for you to take the old oil lmap, which you do.
: May it bring you good luck!
: She then hustles you out the door.

Oh, and...

>kill lady

: A good chap like you doesn't do things like that.

Sorry if this is a tad disjointed. There's really no easy way to connect these disparate parts of the game. Anyway...

>kiss snake

: SSSsssssss! SSssstay away or I will ssssssstrike!

>kill snake

I showed this off in the main run, but for the sake of completion...

: Brandishing the sharp sword, you quickly slash the viper into ribbons.

>kill horse

: Why would you want to kill a beautiful horse like that?

Jumping ahead even more...

>kill ghoul

: You can't kill something that is already dead.

>talk to ghost

: When you speak to the ghosts, they utter a mournful wail.

>kill ghost

: Don't you know that spooks are already dead?

Someone in the thread wanted me to try and kill Dracula without the mallet or stake, and I realized super late in the game that you can't drop either. I'm also unwilling to play through 75% of the game again, while missing two items just for some failure dialogue. So apologies (not really) for not showing that off.

Otherwise, there's nothing funny to do with Dracula. Though there is a reaction if you're wearing the silver cross and he wakes up.

: Count Dracula is awake! Run before it's too late!
: You are caught in Dracula's grasp! Saliva drips off the end of his sharp fangs.
: Suddenly, he is aware of the silver cross you are wearing around your neck!
: Count Dracula is terrified of the cross. He turns into a bat and flies away.

Note that by doing this, he leaves and takes the silver key with him. So you can't get maximum points.

So here we are in the final part of the game.

The sea is 100% instantly lethal. So no exploring here!

The penultimate screen...

>kiss lion

: That would be a wrong move!

>kill lion

: With one mighty heave of your sword, you fatally wound the large lion. He slumps to the floor.

>give brooch to girl

: You can't do that.

Sadly there's no way to give Valanice any of the treasure we've collected along the way.

So how do we end this update and King's Quest II as a whole?

>kill girl

: ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR GOURD???? I thought you wanted to win this game! Don't ever try something like that again!
: That's it. I quit. I'm out. I'm done. Hey, do you want a job?
: Yes. I will take over your narration duties.

See you guys for King's Quest III, starting Monday.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I think 1, 2 and 3 are the only ones I never gave a shot myself(let's not get into which ones I actually finished...), so I'm eager to see the third.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
A new narrator? Fitting for what is to come.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
but...

>use bridle on princess

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Ooo, new narrator. I'm sure she will impress us with much flowery dialogue.

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
All the King's Quest games are now on sale on gog.com, in case anyone is crazy enough to want to experience these games for themselves.

Although I will say that I had a lot of fun with KQ3 as a kid.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I have a certain fondness for the later games, heck the 4,5,6 collection has been on my wishlist for quite some time

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Chuu posted:

The original line was "software dealer" but I think LPer fits better in this case. :v:

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016

Leif. posted:

However my all time favorite game of the genre/era was Space Quest V.

I love SQ5. Definitely the high point of the Space Quest series. There are others who say it's SQ3 or SQ4. I look at them funny.

I think Nidoking is doing a LP of that game right now btw.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Bloops Crusts posted:

I love SQ5. Definitely the high point of the Space Quest series. There are others who say it's SQ3 or SQ4. I look at them funny.

I think Nidoking is doing a LP of that game right now btw.

Nidoking LPing Space Quest? I thought that was long over. I feel like I recall posting in it at the end ("Thank you for Let's Playing Space Quest. As usual, you've been a real pantload.") but I have never managed to figure out archive search, so I can't verify.

EDIT: Or I could be smart and Google it: Space Quest Collection
by Nidoking

sfwarlock fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jul 17, 2017

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

sfwarlock posted:

Nidoking LPing Space Quest? I thought that was long over. I feel like I recall posting in it at the end ("Thank you for Let's Playing Space Quest. As usual, you've been a real pantload.") but I have never managed to figure out archive search, so I can't verify.

He's recently started putting those videos on youtube, I think.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
A few months ago, I decided to reupload most of my old pre-Youtube videos to Youtube so they'd be more accessible. Space Quest was the last LP I did before switching to Youtube as a host, and I'm about halfway through V now. I'm posting one video per day so I don't fill anyone's subscription feed, and because I've been having fun rewatching the old videos as I post them.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

In the last game, King Graham got the girl and returned from Kolyma with enough diamond and sapphire studded jewelry to start a collection. By all accounts, he earned his happy ending. So instead of being a direct sequel to the aforementioned happy ending, King's Quest III is set many years down the road and stars Gwydion a teenage boy enslaved to a powerful wizard named Manannan.

The game still uses the AGI text parser engine, so no new technological innovations for us to marvel at. Actually, that's a lie. There's one new innovation: copy protection. This game makes extensive use of copy protection that can only be found in the manual. I've got a method for showing it off when the time comes, so don't worry.

Spoilers

Unlike the first two games, this one actually has a plot that unfolds as we progress. So for the sake of those who have not played this before, please don't be a dick y'all. Use spoiler tags if you absolutely have to talk about something that we haven't seen yet.

The Updates

#1 - Cleaning the Kitchen
#2 - Copy Protection and Being Wrong
#3 - The Infinite Desiccation
#4 - The Day the Teddy Bears Have Their Picnic
#5 - Let's go Shopping
#6 - Casting Spells
#7 - This Game Has a Plot?
#8 - Leaving Llewdor
#9 - The Boat Sequence
#10 - Gwydion the Mountain Man
#11 - Mooning the Princess

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Aug 8, 2017

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Hello everyone and welcome to King's Quest III. Like before, I'm going to let the narrator handle things for the intro, and I'll see you all on the other side.

: You wish to hear another story of Daventry? Very well. Then I shall tell you the tale of Gwydion, the poor slave boy with a grand destiny...

: Gwydion is a lonely lad of seventeen who has lived for as long as he can remember with an evil and cruel wizard, by the name of Manannan. Gwydion gazes upon the countryside of Llewdor with longing, wishing he were free to leave. But, alas, such is not the case.
: Manannan treats the poor boy like his slave; ordering him about, constantly threatening him, and refusing to ever let him leave the premises. Often, Gwydion wonders who he really is, and how he came to live with the old wizard. But, Manannan offers no help in that area.

: Suddenly, the front door opens and out stalks Manannan, the wizard!
: Gwydion!
: Gwydion rushes to his side, afraid he may be in trouble.
: Why are you not WORKING, boy?
: Sorry I...
: The kitchen floor is FILTHY! Go sweep it, NOW!!
: The wizard turns and re-enters the house, slamming the door behind him.

: Such is the story of young Gwydion's life to this point. What's a poor boy to do? Oh well. In resignation, Gwydion obediently follows Manannan into the house.

So, the UI is much the same for this game. However, there's one incredibly important addition to the top middle of the screen. That there is a timer. King's Quest III is a highly scripted game. Events happen based on the timer up above, with or without Gwydion being there to observe them.

For the most part, these events involve Manannan and his capricious whims. So let's get started.

>talk to wizard

: Don't bother me, boy. I've got important things to think about. Also, that kitchen is filthy! Go clean it, now!

You ever work a job where you had an overbearing boss who liked to micromanage you? That's Manannan. This guy is an rear end in a top hat with a capital A.

I should also point out that if you watch the intro, Manannan doesn't appear here. When the game starts, he gives you one of four chores to complete. If you watch the intro, he gives it to you there. Here, we're being asked to clean the kitchen. Just as well, because we need stuff from in there anyway. For what it's worth, Manannan could also ask us to dust his study, feed the chickens outside, or empty his chamber pot.

Anyway, the house has safe and dangerous rooms. The study to the north is a dangerous zone. If you haven't been told to go in there, then Manannan will kill you if he finds you inside. Same deal with his bedroom and the top floor as well. The kitchen, the dining room, the entrance, the upstairs hallway, and Gwydion's bedroom are all safe rooms.

Let's get started...

The dining room is sparse and for some reason Manannan has a picnic table to dine on. I guess he's living the dream.

>look table

: The large dining table is made of pine planking. Matching benches run its length on both sides. The table is big enough to seat at least ten people. There is a little metal cup on the table. Gwydion picks it up and carries it with him.

We'll need this cup in the future. It's one of four items from the kitchen and dining room area that we'll need for certain.

The kitchen is Gwydion's office, for lack of a better term. Manannan never pokes his head in here as far as I can tell. His cat, though, is a different story.

>look cat

That detestable pet of Manannan's is a constant annoyance.

>kick cat

: Screeeeeeeeeeeeech!!!!!!!!
: Heh, heh, heh...

While it seems mean, the stupid cat will move around while it's on screen with you. Occasionally Usually it will move to sit directly in your path. The only way to urge it to move again is this way.

Also Gwydion is a jerk. Anyway...

>get broom

That's a 25 second GIF that's only 200KB. The good thing about the timer is that you can see just how long these animations take.

While we're here, let's loot the poo poo out of the kitchen so we never have to return again.

>look shelf

: The kitchen shelf holds many ingredients and kitchen implements for cooking. One useful item that catches Gwydion's eye is the clay bowl he uses for all of his mixing. He retrieves it from the shelf.

>look rack

: There is an iron rack hanging on the wall by the fireplace. Gwydion's trusty knife and wooden serving spoon are both hanging on the rack. He retrieves both objects.

>look table

: Gwydion uses the heavy oak table when he prepares food for the wizard. Right now, there is a loaf of bread, some fruit, and a mutton chop on the table. He takes all three food items as well.

Now that we've got all we need from the kitchen, let's be a bit daring...

>get cat

: Nimbly, Gwydion grabs the nasty cat by the scruff of its neck, avoiding its needle-sharp claws.
: Now that you have it, what are you going to do with it?

>get hair

: Screeeeeeeeeeeeech!!!!!!!!

: Gwydion manages to pluck some fur before the cat viciously scratches, and then leaps from his arms, snarling and screeching. With grim satisfaction, Gwydion surveys his wounds.
: Stupid cat, whether you know it or not, you just helped me.

Here's the inventory screen. Fairly standard, except for the cat hair. That, you might notice, has an asterisk next to it. Any items marked as such are dangerous. If Manannan catches you with such an item in your possession, he will kill you straight out.

Now that we're holding a bunch of items, let's take a look...

: You hold a small ball of black cat fur in your hand.
: The knife is big enough (and sharp enough) to carve a large roast.
: The clay bowl has been your favorite bowl for years.
: This is a wooden kitchen spoon.
: This is just a simple metal cup with a handle.
: Mmmmmmm! You love the smell of freshly baked bread.
: This is a leftover mutton chop that the old wizard hadn't finished. It still looks appetizing, though.
: The fruit consists of an apple and some grapes. They look sweet, fresh, and juicy.

We need to book it. The timer is 02:10, which means we have a minute to get upstairs and hide the cat hair before Manannan kills us for possessing it. This is harder than it sounds. The stairs in this house were designed by an rear end in a top hat. You can walk diagonally on them, but they're angled in just such a way that you have to keep adjusting Gwydion up or down as he travels.

Manannan's house is pretty small. The second floor only has two rooms. The wizard's bedroom is to the north, while Gwydion's is to the east. The top floor is only a single room. We'll see it next time.

Gwydion has a tiny bedroom, but it's safe from the wizard. While we're here, let's look at a neat little easter egg...

>look behind tapestry

: Gwydion lifts the bottom of the tapestry and peers behind it. The wall is filled with cracks. He can see why Manannan would hang a tapestry here.
: There are also dozens of charcoal-scribbled drawings, diagrams, maps, and notes to programmers, with the legend "King's Quest IV," but Gwydion is uninterested in this, since he presently has his hands full with "King's Quest III. He lowers the tapestry and smooths out the wrinkles.

>look bed

: The bed is nothing more than a cot, hard and cold, and is difficult to sleep on. Gwydion's pillow is small, flat, and made of old rags.

My neck hurts thinking about that. Anyway, this next command is something the game never explicitly tells you, and the manual makes no mention of. You just kind of have to intuit this, I guess?

>drop all

: Gwydion gets on his hands and knees and quickly shoves all his possessions under the bed. They will be safe from the wizard's sharp eyes there.

Now that we've hidden the stuff, I'm going to show off what happens if the wizard catches you with something you shouldn't have.

>get cat fur

: Dropping to his hands and knees, Gwydion reaches under the bed and retrieves it.

Sometime around the three minute mark, Manannan will come check up on Gwydion to see if he actually did the chore that he was assigned.

He errs on the side of being late, in spite of what Gandalf claims. In a game as heavily time based as this, any delay is annoying. I'll have much more to say about this late in the LP.

: The hateful wizard growls and snatches the cat hair away from his slave.
: You'll create no magic around me, Gwydion.

: Thanks for playing King's Quest III... next time, be more careful!

The "zap into nonexistence" death is a catchall death for pissing the wizard off in general. It's the same for if you're caught with an asterisk item, for trying to escape the house, for being caught having successfully escaped, for being caught in a forbidden room, and for not feeding the wizard when he demands it.

Also, like the previous game, there are almost no death puns. There are one or two lurking around, and there are more creative messages than "be more careful!"

Anyway, that's enough for now.

NEXT TIME: Glorious copy protection

List of Points

+1 - Clearing the Table
+1 - Mixing bowl
+1 - Trusty knife
+1 - Serving spoon
+1 - I am Bread
+1 - Do you want a banana?
+1 - Mutton chops!
+1 - Fistful of cat fur
+4 - >drop all

Total: 12/210

Register of Deaths

Pissed off Manannan

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Aug 20, 2017

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
Will you be using that cat hair to make a fake moustache?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Given what the wizard said it can probably be used to cast a magic spell. Like for example... uh... growing a mustache or turning yourself into a hamster. Who knows?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

DoubleNegative posted:

The game still uses the AGI text parser engine, so no new technological innovations for us to marvel at. Actually, that's a lie. There's one new innovation: copy protection. This game makes extensive use of copy protection that can only be found in the manual. I've got a method for showing it off when the time comes, so don't worry.
A copy of a copy of a copy of a copy of the manual would be the most authentic, but I guess a scanned version would work, too.

Also, oh, God, a timer in a Sierra adventure. This is going to be painful.

Epicmissingno posted:

Will you be using that cat hair to make a fake moustache?

I wanted to like GK 3. Grace's parts were fun. Gabriel's, not so much :(

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Maybe painful, but the kid in me that loved KQ1 and 2 would have been so psyched to try and outwit this wizard.

Is there anything in the documentation that explains what the asterisk means, or is that something you have to divine after dying x times to manny?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Fat Samurai posted:

A copy of a copy of a copy of a copy of the manual would be the most authentic, but I guess a scanned version would work, too.

Or a big SKID ROW splash screen before the title.

• Locked thread