Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Poil posted:

I'm not sure that witches brew should actually contain any witches.

It's truth in advertising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Sage Grimm posted:

Oh c'mon the graham cracker pun is golden. :allears:

NO

You aren't allowed to make it worse!

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Xander77 posted:

This is the cat hair puzzle of KQ.

I thought the KQ2 vga remake was a huge improvement over "KQ2 - More KQ", which had absolutely zero innovations over 1. It was also a lot less ported than the original. KQ1 made it onto every system, including the NES.

KQ5 was ported to the NES. I didn't think anything earlier was.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Walrus Pete posted:

The main thing I remember about King's Quest 2 is how it actively punishes exploration in a very specific and non-obvious way. I'm sure DoubleNegative will cover it when it's relevant so I won't spoil it but it's a huge dick move and can make your game unwinnable at any time and you might not realize it until you're almost at the end.

Boy, times sure have changed. I used to think Sierra games were awesome.

I almost forgot about that. The first KQ games I played were 3 and 4; though I have since played all of them they're the ones I think of first. And they're just so much better; 3 has some hard limits early on but they're for an in-game reason and can be removed, and 4 was just all-around improved.

Except for climbing up the stairs in the tower.

gently caress that.

Edit: removed a minor spoiler in case we get up to KQ4.

Prism fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jun 27, 2017

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Erpy posted:

The nepotism apparantly got silly at times. I once heard that the djinni in Quest for Glory 2 was initially supposed to be trapped in a lamp, but the idea got axed because King's Quest 2 already had a djinn in a lamp, so they were forced to change it to a ring instead.

I'm not sure what nepotism had to do with that, but in the actual Aladdin story, he summons a djinn from a ring before he does so from a lamp (though yes, the lamp's genie was more powerful).

The ring wasn't used in Disney's Aladdin so a lot of people who were growing up then and learned the story from the movie forget about it, but both those games came out before the movie did (1992).

Prism fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jun 28, 2017

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Fat Samurai posted:

Also, oh, God, a timer in a Sierra adventure. This is going to be painful.

The game wants you to think that it's just for your convenience so you can time Manannan's appearances and demands. It's a lie, as it's quite possible to eventually have gotten so many demands that fulfilling them is no longer possible. Hard timers to game over suck and it would have been a much better choice to only make it a schedule, IMO.

Despite the timer, the stairs, and an even more bullshit climbing/pathfinding segment, this was one of my favourite KQ games. I'm not sure if that says more about the game or me.

Prism fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 17, 2017

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

whitehelm posted:

Not quite right. You get punished the FIRST time he catches you outside the house area, but after that he'll kill you for it. Also not feeding him does kill you because that's where the hard time limit is; there's only so many food items in the game (the remakes might be different, I don't remember).

In the remakes, one of them respawns, but it's one you have to go out of your way to get; for spoiler reasons I won't say what it is until it's picked up, but if you know the game you probably can guess what it is.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

PurpleXVI posted:

I doubt the game even gives you a chance to react when the wizard warps in.

IIRC it doesn't (though I could be misremembering, it's been a while), but you can definitely walk into a room when he's already there if he's not out on a trip. Sometimes he takes a nap in his room.

Prism fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 19, 2017

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

PurpleXVI posted:

In a previous KQ game, we'd probably have had to put a bridle on Medusa to get the maximum amount of points.

> put many small bridles on Medusa's head

Do you mean the bridle or the bridle?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

DoubleNegative posted:

Are thimbles even watertight?

Sure, why not? It's just a little metal cap.

Also, when I mentioned in the remakes one item of food respawns? It's the porridge.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

where the red fern gropes posted:

can you win the game without doing this

No.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

MagusofStars posted:

Wait, so there's a 30 minute timer from the Oracle ... and Mannion's "journeys" take 30 minutes. Can you just wait till Mannion leaves and just haul rear end to the spider web and the rest of the game without polymorphing Mannion? Or is there some hidden trigger where he hunts your rear end down on one specific screen if you don't morph him regardless of the timer?

It is not possible to leave Llewdor with Manannan alive, and the timer the Oracle gives is to get out of Llewdor (not beat the game).

When we get to the point that he'd cause a problem, I'll point it out if DoubleNegative doesn't.

Prism fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jul 30, 2017

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

sfwarlock posted:

I remember wondering if you could use the amber stone in this case to try to get to Daventry. Tempted to load the game up and play with it.

It won't ever teleport you from Llewdor to Daventry (or vice versa, and in fact IIRC using it in Daventry has very limited results at all). It also has some other limitations; it won't take you back up the mountain, and I don't think it will take you down the mountain if you use it from inside Manannan's house either.

I don't remember what it does while you are actually on the pirate ship. The boring answer is that it probably moves you around the ship; the Sierra answer would be that it dumps you in the ocean and you drown.

Prism fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Aug 2, 2017

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

ulmont posted:

...but can't taste cat hair when he eats it in porridge.

The man's got a cat that wanders everywhere in the house. He's already used to cat hair getting into everything.

Prism fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Aug 8, 2017

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Aces High posted:

well thanks for that Prism, I don't ever want to own a cat now :barf:

Cat hair drifts. It's just a fact of life. Water's wet, sky's blue, cat hair gets into everything. Alexander shouldn't have been killed for having cat fur on him because he has some on his clothes at literally all times.

I don't live with a cat anymore, but if you let them roam around the kitchen and sleep on the table (and Manannan's cat goes everywhere), you are one day going to have cat hair on something you eat.

edit: vvvv also that. Cats like to sit, too.

Prism fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Aug 8, 2017

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Outpost22 posted:

Is Rosella the first female video game protagonist?

No. KQ4 came out in 1988; Metroid came out in 1986 (1987 in the States), so even if you only count well-remembered games, Samus comes first.

Edit: I'm pretty sure there's an Infocom game with an explicitly female protagonist before 1988 too (as opposed to gender-indeterminate characters or ones where you choose) which would probably be the first female adventure game protagonist, but I can't remember which one.

Double edit: Plundered Hearts (1987). It's a romance text adventure.

Prism fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 12, 2017

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

idonotlikepeas posted:

Leather Goddesses of Phobos (1986), also by Infocom, let you pick a female protagonist. If you want to include non-story games, Ms. Pac-man was from 1981.

Several let you pick a female protagonist. I skipped those or I'd have to go all the way back to Wizardry and Might and Magic-style games, which also let you pick the gender of your party.

Bloops Crusts posted:

She's one of the first. I think she might be the first female video game protagonist to be featured prominently. (Say what you want about Samus, but nobody knew what her sex was until they beat the game, or even if she was human and not a robot -- and the final reveal at the end was more fansevice-y than anything else.)

At this time this was true, so that's fair (though of course Samus is well-established as a female lead by now).

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

idonotlikepeas posted:

I don't think Leather Goddesses falls into the same camp, because you actually get a different story for picking a female protagonist; it's not just a cosmetic thing or a switch on a character sheet. Having poked around a bit now, though, the earliest one I can find is from a game called Lady Bug, also in 1981. If you restrict it to just human beings, the earliest one I've found so far is from Sega Ninja in 1985.

Might and Magic is actually easier with an all-female party because Portsmouth's ghosts don't drain women, so it's not quite just cosmetic but very close. I actually didn't know Leather Goddesses' story changed if you picked to be female, though, so that's cool.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
edit: never mind

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
This is in fact the game that taught me the world uvula.

I didn't know you could type 'look' and get a description with the proper word (this game came out when I was five, so I probably wasn't older than eight or nine at the time) so I tried a lot of other nouns. The only one I remember now is 'dangling thing'.

Also the human-like teeth (and human-like tongue) didn't bother me as a kid, but they sure do now. That's wrong! I remember trying 'kick teeth' as another attempt to get out that is, sadly, completely ineffective. Honestly, now I'm wondering if whales even have uvulas.

Edit: They don't. This whole puzzle is a lie!

Prism fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Aug 21, 2017

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
There is actually another way to screw yourself over that was missed during the last update beyond having the shovel break on you, where you can put yourself in a dead man walking situation. I don't know if you intend to show it off since the text is basically 'well you shouldn't have done that, idiot' and you can't really do it by mistake, but it is a loss state, so... You can eat the fruit.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Erpy posted:

That's not technically a dead man walking situation though, since you can still complete the game, you just get a less than optimal ending.

Ha, can you? I never thought to actually finish it since it yells at you right away; I figured it'd just give you a game over when you left.

DoubleNegative posted:

There's a better spot to show the spoilered thing off that doesn't involve me replaying the last quarter of the game. I'll show it off then.

Fair enough! I didn't know it changed the ending, so that makes sense.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
The idea behind reversing the controls there is, I assume, so that 'up' moves you higher up the staircase.

It's horrible. It killed me so many times. Game designers should never do this. Always map in relation to the screen (unless it's a tank controls game, I guess). Don't change the rules!

Ugh. I have opinions on that choice.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Bregor posted:

When I played this game as a kid I never experimented much with using other stuff on Lolette. I wonder if you can just axe her in the face.

I'm pretty sure you get too close and wake her up (with the same results), but it's been a while. I seem to remember trying that way back when.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

An easter egg. You'll see it.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Psion posted:

Cedric is loving awful and really, I think we'd all be fine if you didn't transcribe every single one of his stupid elongated vowels, but if you feel it's necessary I guess nobody can stop you :shepface:

The pain must be shared.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

PurpleXVI posted:

For some reason I figured we'd have needed the boot to prop open the door or risk instant death when we grabbed anything from inside.

The animation of putting the boot in place just so would take longer than you have to grab the items in there. Seriously, that timing is strict... though arguably not as strict as what you actually need the boot for. Those killed child me a fair bit because I wasn't fast or accurate at clicking.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

SimplyUnknown1 posted:

Technically, you had to hear it, read it, and type it every time you did this while all we had to do was read it. ...Not sure how that's better for you.

Copy/paste is a wonderful tool.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

McNally posted:

Old age is absolutely an ailment.

Final Fantasy 5 has told me that you can only cure the stat drops from Old by ending the fight.

I guess since he's not in one now he's in the clear.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Omobono posted:

The glinting pixel doesn't seem that bad, depending on how bullshit the time limit is.

My only comment on the pie would be five lines of heavy swearing though, so I'll simply skip that and think happy thoughts.

E: how precisely do you have to aim with your mouse to pick up that pixel?

At least in the version I played, you don't have to be super precise as long as there's nothing else that is a valid option for the same command very close to it; anywhere on the glint should be okay.

Edit: I did not play the version DoubleNegative is; mine was the floppy version, but I can't imagine they made it harder. (Actually, this being KQ5, I can, but I'm choosing to believe they wouldn't.)

Prism fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Oct 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
After the treasure vault I was extremely well-trained to pick up strange glints as fast as possible.

But yeah, if you don't, it's really hard to figure out what you missed later. As said, it's not communicated at all - someone won't talk to you without the locket, but if you don't have it a) they don't tell you they want a locket and b) even if they did, you are very likely to not realize the glint in the nest was a locket.

Prism fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Oct 17, 2017

• Locked thread