Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Charlett
Apr 2, 2011
I can't play adventure games. Like other people, I get frustrated when I think I've figured out a puzzle and I feel super happy with myself only to realize that it's not "the game's way" to figure out the puzzle. I have always wanted to see what King's Quest is like though, just because I enjoy Monkey Island and want to see where its roots are from, so thanks for this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011

Tiggum posted:

Not every adventure game is like this, but unfortunately there' still a demand for this type of bullshit for some reason, and it's basically impossible to know ahead of time whether any particular game is going to be big on adventure-game-logic or not. I'd recommend the Blackwell series, but the first game would probably put you off, so maybe try a let's play to see if it's the sort of thing you might otherwise enjoy and start actually playing with the second game.

I'd also recommend Journey of a Roach. It's not perfect, but it's simple enough that you're not likely to get frustrated.

Thanks for the recommendations! I'll check out Blackwell and see if it's for me. It looks vaguely noir-ish and I do love myself some trenchcoats.

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011
Thanks for showing this to us! This game really is cute and *feels* magical, so I can see why people loved it even though I would not even have bothered with it and even its remakes, let's be honest. I'm happy to at least see what it was like though, because it really is an important part of gaming history.

• Locked thread