Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

I never did play this game back in the day, but I'm :allears: about this already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

DoubleNegative posted:

Captured by witch
--The Graham cracker pun
Drowning
--The well pun
Dragonfire
--The ash pun

I'm making special note of puns so bad that they "count" as an extra death.

Sage Grimm posted:

Oh c'mon the graham cracker pun is golden. :allears:

Bregor posted:

I always thought Graham was his last name. Theodore Graham.

Phy posted:

At least we know Daventry's on the metric system, what with all the ways it has to kill a Graham

These puns are excellent. :allears:

We'll see how long it takes for DoubleNegative to cracker down on them though.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

That was surprisingly quick. Neat, but quick.

Thanks for the LP - are you going to move on to other KQ games, or is this it?

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Bloops Crusts posted:

Personally, I don't even consider Mask of Eternity to be the eighth King's Quest game, given it wasn't numbered and seems much more like a side title -- i.e., equivalent to Battlespire and Redguard, side titles to the Elder Scrolls main series. If I had to rate it alongside the other games, though, I don't think I would place it at the bottom... It's better than KQ2. KQ2 is the worst game in the series, IMO. A barren retread of KQ1 with nothing innovative on offer, other than the Batmobile.

Snorb posted:

I consider Mask of Eternity to be KQ8; the in-game files actually call it KQ8!

Is this one of those arguments like "Ultima 7 was the last true Ultima game" because they massively hosed up the plot? Or were they just kinda shittier than the average?

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

PurpleXVI posted:

Okay, SO.

The rest of the KQ games are actual adventure games. KQ8/Mask of Eternity is instead a third-person "RPG" where you run around chopping things up with a sword and shooting arrows at other things, while very occasionally using items to solve puzzles or interacting with non-hostile characters. I also think it's one of the few cases where you play someone more or less totally unassociated with the royal house.

Robindaybird posted:

As Purple said - it completely changes the Genre and has barely any connection with the rest of the series plotwise or tonally.

"Last real Ultima" then. Got it. :v:

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

HomestarCanter posted:

Peasant's Quest as my first ever LP, hmm? I might just do that. If anyone who actually knows what they're doing wants to try it instead, though, be my guest.

Funnily enough, I never knew that was specifically a parody of King's Quest. Now that I think of it though... yeah, totally makes sense. And thinking back on it, it explains some of the stuff in the game. :v:

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

DoubleNegative posted:

Normally I'd transcribe the message, but this is one of those super important ones. We did it, guys. :unsmith:

NEXT TIME: As master of his own destiny, Gwydion does whatever the gently caress he wants for the first time in his life.

Just to pull a quote from an old old post...

I've been waiting for the other shoe to drop on this, and I don't know why. Maybe reading this LP has given me a healthy dose of paranoia, but that almost seemed to be too easy. :v:

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Aces High posted:

what's the Navy Seals quote from?

4chan. Sadly.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/navy-seal-copypasta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

DoubleNegative posted:

Who knows, they might appear in King's Quest VIII. But playing that is like playing Ultima IX... nobody does it unless they're deliberately playing lovely games for the Internet.

Oh. Ohhhhhhhhhhh. Okay, I suddenly get how bad KQ8 is.

I'm a huge Ultima fan (VII:BG was the first computer RPG I ever played) - are the arguments against KQ8 similar, i.e. it's a buggy pile of trash and they just took a poo poo all over the history built up in previous games?

• Locked thread