Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
The Delver
Created Aspects: Lightless Lantern (1 Free Invoke)
Fate Points: 4/3 | Boosts: - | Consequences: - | Stress: [ ] [ ] [ ] | Mana: [ ] [ ] [ ] [x]

The Delver didn't look directly at Orono as he answered, but kept scanning the walls and floor and roof for the traps he knew where there, somewhere.

"Preservation is not my goal, Man of Stone", he replied, "But knowledge is. Power is. Should something have nothing of use for me, feel free to destroy it. Should something have something of use for me, feel free to destroy it after it has been tapped of its potential."

"Indeed, indeed, there are a multitude of things I've drained of their power and knowledge and usability yet felt necessary to dispose of afterwards..."

The Delver laughed. For just a bit too long.

The aspect being Compelled for the Fate point was 'No pain no gain', for those interested

Theantero fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jun 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Marquise Adeleine de la Neraille - Entrance of the Tomb
FP: 3 Stress: [][][] Mana: [][] Bonus Aspects: Ice-Winged Familiar (2 Free invocations)

Adeleine finished putting on the suit. It was enchanted to go over the clothes without any chafing or other problems of any sort, including of decency, since she simply slipped into the suit, dress and all. She hummed as she did so; between the Delver taking care of that anti-scrying field and these suits of Jacob's, this mission was starting swimmingly! She was about to comment on that when she did an headcount and realized they were missing two wizards.
Huffing, she held out one hand, invisible strands of magic making their way from it to the icy exterior of the meteorite; soon enough, a two-fist sized rough block of ice levitated in front of her. She then started cutting it, quick gestures of her hands shaving bits from it until it had a rough shape, like a cone attached from its large bottom to a cylinder's side. Once the basic shape had been achieved, she started waving her fingers around it, as if she were playing two harps one next to the other; each movement shaved another small bit of ice, until her creation started furiously flapping its wings to stay in the air.

"Fly ahead, little one, and try and trigger any traps you can before those two dunderheads stumble onto them first." Obediently, the icy construct flew into the dark corridor, where the two mages had already gone.

quote:

http://orokos.com/roll/523310 Success with style against difficulty of +2! Yay!

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 9, 2017

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

To The Dexter, and the First Trap

The Delver and Orono charge ahead, heedless of the danger. Orono due to his body of enduring stone, and the Delver due to well, being the Delver. They conjure a light to see by as a bird made of ice flies ahead, only to land and poke at the floor for a few moments. This poking leads to it triggering the first trap several times in quick succession.

Crossbow bolts coated in some kind of oil go flying over the bird's head, bouncing harmlessly off of Orono's arm as he gestures in front of the Delver at an interesting bit of sculpture to possibly steal for the trophy room. The bird then dashes off before either of them gets a good look at where the purely mechanical trap was triggered!

The bolts are undoubtedly poisoned, as the oil smells vile and burns to the touch, having soaked completely into the wood of the bolt as well as coating the steel head. Three of them litter the floor, and from the oil stain on Orono's arm they flew in a tight grouping, for a mechanical trap this was extraordinarily well made.

None of this gave any clue as to where the trigger was though, and the passageway was built of identical floor tiles in a tight grid pattern, alternating between black and white.

No invocations used

Pyre of Word Salsa
Apr 25, 2017

I pray for a color palette that will not come.
Jacob Her'lson
FP: 2 | Stress: OOO | Boosts: | Consequences: | Mana: OOO

He slid behind the rest of the party, running an eye over the walls. It wouldn't do to have someone get to any pertinent information that would have helped him. So Jacob chose to observe from behind the group. For a group of strangers who bonded out of circumstance, they worked together surprisingly well.

But it was time that he started to pull his own weight for a change, before the rest of the cabal thought that he was dead weight and abandoned him. Slipping his cynicism behind a mask of impassiveness, he decided to scan for any illusions that were hiding traps within the hallway.

"Fludru acletero niedr," he intoned in a low voice.

4dF+2 = 2

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
The Delver
Created Aspects: Lightless Lantern (1 Free Invoke)
Fate Points: 4/3 | Boosts: - | Consequences: - | Stress: [ ] [ ] [ ] | Mana: [x] [ ] [ ] [x]

The Delver let out a slight cackle as bolts impacted upon Orono's stony body.

"Floorplates... truly the least of the buried secrets, but they can often sting", The Delver gazed forward, then he turned to look at Jacob as the suited man. He didn't know much about him, but respected the fact that he knew well enough to not show his face. A wise precaution!

"Good thinking, suited man. Yes, yes, if you would scan the traps for us as we lead the way, I can focus my unbound sight on grander things while it still roams free. I can feel the veil try and entangle itself upon me with every step, wasting time would be foolish, yes, foolish indeed..."

With that, The Delver procured a scroll of yellowed parchment from his sleeve, a bottle of strange red... uhh... "ink" from a satchel, along with... a severed, dried finger with runes scarred along its length, its nail sharpened to a point. Then he unfurled the parchment horizontally, and left it hang in midair, as well as slowly opening the "ink" bottle and placing the very tip of the severed finger's nail into it, where it too hung by its own power.

The Delver then closed his eyes (well, his glowy eye-dots disappeared, which you surmise means basically the same thing), and low, raspy incantations started to emanate from below his hood as his gaze wandered the tomb. All the while, the finger-pen started to draw and sketch out an outline of the dungeon on the parchment, the faint aura of Mana following its trail.

Using Void to Overcome by mapping out the Dungeon. Difficulty 3.
4dF+2: 3
Ticking my 1 Mana box, thus making this a Success

Theantero fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jun 9, 2017

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Tyrannus - Scrying Room
Fate Points: 3/3 | Boosts: - | Consequences: - | Stress: 1[ ] 2[ ] 3[ ] | Mana: 1[ ] 2[X] 3[ ]

Tyrannus watches as the others trigger various traps. Clearly this had a mundane trigger of some sort. So, Tyrannus raised a hand to his face and worked a fairly common spell he had created to temporarily increase his detail vision and acuity.

Enhancing Tyrannus's Eyes (Material Create Advantage + stunt) (Diff. 2): 4dF+5 4

With the new enhancements, the alien looking man began to scour the room with his many eyes.

Searching for stuff (Void) (Diff. 3): 4dF -1

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The Hallway (Still Trapped)

The Delver sketches madly, the twisting shape of the asteroid slowly coming into focus. It appears the left hand path ends in an ingenious trap that drops anyone foolish enough to walk down it dropped through a chute into what appears to be... yes, a pool of acid. The right hand path branches and coils like an octopus within the tomb, leading to thirteen chambers of unknown purpose but ultimately funneling any adventurers into a single grand chamber that serves as throne or sepulchre or both. In any case, the strongest mana signal rests there.

Jacob scans the hallway, but it appears clear of illusionary magics. However, thanks to the scrying barrier he can only reach what he can see with his eyes, perhaps further down the hallway things will be different.

For Tyrannus the sudden change in input is too much, he focuses on a nearby tile, convinced it is the trigger, and presses down on it. While it makes a sharp click, this is only because he has broken the tile harmlessly, marring the floor to no purpose.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

The Delver
Created Aspects: Lightless Lantern (0 Free Invoke)
Fate Points: 4/3 | Boosts: - | Consequences: - | Stress: [ ] [ ] [ ] | Mana: [x] [ ] [x] [x]

The Delver, for his part, remained in his strange trance, talking about '13 meandering chambers, yes, yes, all connected' or somesuch.

Nevertheless, the mana that burned about the severed finger soon reached a crescendo, and to top it off The Delver once again unsheathed his Lightless Lantern, basking the parchment in its baleful presence, until the wick beneath disappeared. His eye dots reappeared, and he gazed upon the parchment with fresh eyes.

Using Void to Overcome by mapping out the Dungeon. Difficulty 3.
4dF+2: 0
Ticking my 3 Mana box, as well as my last free Invoke on the Lightless Lantern for a +2, thus making this a 5 and a Success

Theantero fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jun 10, 2017

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The Map

The First, Third, Seventh, Tenth, and Thirteenth chambers glow with a light indicating they contain long forgotten treasures for the careful wizard. The central chamber is nearly blinding in its riches! The Second, Fourth, Eighth, and Twelfth chambers glow dimly, while the remaining chambers are dull and lifeless. The Fifth, Sixth, Ninth, and Eleventh chambers hold no secrets, only death. There are ruins of a passageway system that connects each of the thirteen chambers in sequence, but rot collapsed the tunnels in ages past.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Tyrannus - Hallway
Fate Points: 3/3 | Boosts: - | Consequences: - | Stress: 1[ ] 2[ ] 3[ ] | Mana: 1[ ] 2[X] 3[ ]

Tyrannus walks over to one of the fallen bolts. Gingerly he picks up one of the bolts and places it over his hand. One of his fingers unfolds to reveal an array of sensory organs within. Tyrannus allows a drop of the poison to fall on them and begins to analyze the concotion, seeking to learn how it worked, both to create an antidote and to add it to the library of poisons he could generate.

Analyzing the poison (Matter) (Difficulty 2): 4dF+3 3

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS
Orono - Hallway - Void Tomb
FP: 3 Stress: ^ ^ ^ Mana: * * *

He looks briefly at the bolts as the fall from him, before continuing on his path. Each of his fellows reacted in their own way, but he just strode onwards, following where his whistling led him. He trusted that if he was going down a passage the Delver revealed as marked for death, someone would tell him.

-------------------
Orono ignores the bolt trap.
Orono follows the whistle, unless it leads to the main chamber. Then, he goes into the room the Delver says has the mana

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

He notices that the others seem to be falling behind him. He looks at them quizzically, and then starts stamping around, sure that eventually he'll hit the trigger.

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

But he notices that it seems to distress them, so he stops, and freezes still as a statue, not wanting to snare any magical lines.

A_Bug_That_Thinks fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 10, 2017

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Trap

Orono hits the bolt trap repeatedly. It doesn't run out of bolts, but he does discover that as long as he holds down the switch, it doesn't fire again.

The poison reveals itself to be vintage, they stopped using this particular calcium channel blocker ages ago because it could be cured by an elementary spell, one they taught school children to stop bee stings! The poison is still quite deadly if left unattended to though, so Tyrannus keeps it anyway.

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jun 10, 2017

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Tyrannus - Hallway

The poison was ancient and less than useful, but you never know when something like that might be useful. So Tyrannus filed it away, then as he strode forward, with a small flourish of magic he altered his skin, growing armored plates to deflect future bolts or other physical attacks.

Materially Creating an Advantage (Armored Skin) (Difficulty 2): 4dF+5 5 - Success with Style

With the armor successfully formed, the flesh-wizard quickly caught up with the others, ready for further delving for power and knowledge. When he met up with the lead group he adds, "The poison in this place is an antique, I wonder if the other traps are equally outdated."

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Marquise Adeleine de la Neraille - Trapped Corridor
FP: 3 Stress: [][][] Mana: [][] Bonus Aspects: Ice-Winged Familiar (2 Free invocations)
"Well then, Orono." Comments Adeleine, stepping beyond the stone wizard as he keeps the trap under control. "How chivalrous of you to protect me and my birdie. Go say thanks, birdie." She chuckles as the icy construct flies to Orono and gives him a light peck, like a kiss, before rejoining his creator as she makes her way to the chamber connected to arcane treasures.

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

"Anything for the Marquis." he says with a smile.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

The Delver
Fate Points: 4/3 | Boosts: - | Consequences: - | Stress: [ ] [ ] [ ] | Mana: [x] [ ] [x] [x]

The Delver shadowed Orono for now, keeping behind the man of stone as he eyed his map.

"In addition to the central chamber that burns most bright, the chambers numbered First, Third, Seventh, Tenth, and Thirteenth hold treasure most worth our time. The chambers numbered Second, Fourth, Eighth, and Twelfth are lesser in reward, yet still to be delved in their own time. The rest are worthless, the chambers numbered Fifth, Sixth, Ninth, and Eleventh holding nothing but doom in their cold clutches, yes..."

"As for where to tread next on our quest, let me bring upon you a lesson in exploration. We ought to clear the way to the central throne, but not immediately assault. No, first we ought to seek out Mana in the lesser chambers, seek out their secrets, before moving on to crack the central prize at our full strength, yes."

"The right order of things is integral indeed, often can you release something baleful for not putting things the way the ought to be, indeed, indeed, you might even break reality itself ahahahahahaaa..."

Pyre of Word Salsa
Apr 25, 2017

Jacob Her'lson
FP: 2 | Stress: OOO | Boosts: | Consequences: | Mana: OOO

Jacob took a deep breath. Only one way to find out, he supposed. The scrying barrier had prevented him from detecting any illusions from the hallway up ahead.

He took one step forward into the hallway. Then another. And another. And-

Pyre of Word Salsa fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 10, 2017

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Deeper

Following the path laid out by the map, the wizards approach the First Chamber. Several more mechanical traps attempt to bar the way, but prove ineffective against Oro's stone body. A decapitating blade snaps off at the handle, crushing walls are easily held at bay, and more poisonous dart traps of the kind from before litter their wake.

It is thusly surprising when the Delver notes a trap, magical in nature. It appears to spray an acidic fog that eats flesh and stone alike, but the trigger mechanism is too large to jump over or walk around. Frustratingly, the entrance to the First Chamber is but a few steps past the trap.

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

Orono - Outside Room 1 - Void Tomb

He stares impassively as he focuses on the trap trigger. With his left hand, he pushes down on the air in front of him, activating it. With his other, he makes a crushing sign, trying to contain and concentrate the gas over the trigger mechanism as it spews out.

---------------------------------------
Orono uses Force to try and:

1) Trigger the gas release
2) Contain the gas over the trigger
3) In this manner, destroy the trigger

Destroy Trigger mechanism: 4dF 0
Dice +0 Force+3

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

The Delver

The Delver is about to raise a hand in objection, before he retreats further away.

"Do as you wish, man of stone, but know it is your funeral."

"Fool."

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Gas gas gas

Controlling the movement of gasses, fogs, and general air movement is certainly within the purview of Force. However, unfortunately for Orono fogs of acid are tricky things, and his dome has some slight flaws. Most notably the bottom is not completely airtight as the fog rolls out from beneath and eats away at Orono's previously immaculate toes.

Fortunately, the fog seems to be heavier than air and after a few moments it has run its course, pitting and devouring the stone floor... except for the stone panel the spell sigil that triggers the fog is located on, which appears to have been coated in something sovereign against the fog it calls forth. The rest of the hallway is not so lucky, and the floor is now treacherous with sharp edges and crumbling stone.

Orono takes -3 hit from the fog. His magic can easily repair the damage with time.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

The Delver

"Asinine cretin", The Delver practically spat, "This one thing to advance without fear and one other entirely to trigger known traps like a moronic oaf. Stay your hand in the future and consider: perhaps the cabal has better ideas than you, and perhaps you should wait for them before ruining things with your bumbling."

The Delver gazed upon the floor, "The ground has been seeded with peril due to your stupidity, man of stone, yet the sigil remains. With a source of even little Mana available to me, Dispelling the trigger ought to be trivial."

"Marquise", he intoned "Your bird might be required as collateral for this trap to be dispersed. Do you allow me its use?"

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

FP: 3 Stress: ^ ^ _ Mana: * * *

Fluids aren't his strength, and he can feel the moment when the situation gets out of his control. His feet are swamped with the thick vapor and he feels a prickling sensation. Unexpected enough to make him release the trigger, no longer intent on trying to ride it out until it gave way. He keeps as much control as he can until the vapor clears from his feet, but when he sees what is revealed he looses a horrible, extended screech. He knew each groove and surface of his perfect feet, and now they were pitted and worm-eaten like the worst fears born from disease. He almost collapses as he brings his face closer to examine them. His arrogance had injured him again. The worst things we experience, we do to ourselves.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Tyrannus - Hallway
Fate Points: 3/3 | Boosts: - | Consequences: - | Stress: 1[ ] 2[ ] 3[ ] | Mana: 1[X] 2[X] 3[ ]

Seeing the effects of the acid cloud up close, Tyrannus decided precautions were warranted. He closed his eyes, his magic working at the armor plating that currently composed his outer layer of skin, attempting to alter its composition to proof it against acid without compromising its effectiveness, the effect would likely cause a noticeable change in the coloring of the plates, but Tyrannus cared not for such things.

Materially Creating an Advantage (Acid-Proof) (Difficulty 4): 4dF+5 4 Spending my 1 mana box to bump it to 5

Confident in the change, Tyrannus attempts to levitate himself down the hallway, there might be something useful past this trap, and if nothing else he would be out of the way of other attempt to self destruct.

Forcefully Overcoming (Difficulty 1): 4dF+1 3

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

One Down, Five to Go

Tyrannus floats gracefully down the hallway, avoiding the trap that had ensnared Orono. He lands lightly on his feet on the other side, the door to the first chamber, and the secrets within, tantalizingly within arm's reach...

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

The Delver
Fate Points: 3/3 | Boosts: - | Consequences: - | Stress: [ ] [ ] [ ] | Mana: [x] [x] [x] [x]

The Delver tapped his foot against the floor impatiently. "Fine, keep your silence woman, and this bird you're seemingly so attached to. I need not your trinkets to succeed."

Once again, with a degree of annoyance in his movements, removed the hood from the Lightless Lanters, and bathed the sigil in its fell light. He move his hand about, drawing sharp shapes in the air that then appeared on the surface of the sigil also, and this he continued for a while until the thing flickered out of being.

"The sigil has been removed, yes", he intoned, "Destroyed from being. It shall both us no longer."

"Alas, due to the resources denied to me, I have had to drain the last vestiges of my reservoir instead. The sight is thus lost to me, for now, and the veil descends once more yes..."

Using Primal to Overcome by dispelling the sigil. Difficulty 4.
4dF+3: 2
Ticking my 2 Mana box, as well as well as using a Fate point to invoke my lantern, making this roll a Success.

Theantero fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jun 11, 2017

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Clear

The sigil snaps in two, cracking the stone plate it rests on, the Delver staggers for a moment as the last of his Mana drains away. The way forward is now clear and the First Chamber awaits its destined opening...

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Tyrannus - Just Outside the 1st Chamber
Created Aspects: Magically Attuned Eyes (1 free Invoke), Enhanced Eyesight (1 0 free Invokes), Armored Skin (1 free Invoke) Acid-Proof (1 free Invoke)
Fate Points: 2/3 | Boosts: - | Consequences: - | Stress: 1[ ] 2[ ] 3[ ] | Mana: 1[X] 2[X] 3[ ]

Tyrannus carefully examines the door, carefully and methodically checking it for more traps. He puts his enhanced vision and varied knowledge to use to avoid making the same mistake as some of his colleagues.

Voidly Checking for traps (Difficulty 2): 4dF+0 -1 Using my free invoke of Enhanced Eyesight and spending 1 Fate to Invoke Living Library to bump this to +3.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

More TRAPS

Tyrannus examines the door carefully and finds a thin wire connecting the door to a microscopic hole in the frame. This is a standard trigger for a knife trap, so he snips the wire with a practiced gesture and listens for the thud of several daggers colliding with the other side of the thick wood. He then proceeds to oh so carefully turn the knob, his palms hardened against poison needles, one of which breaks itself off against his armored skin. Finally he cracks the door open slightly and extends a small hand mirror he keeps on his person (normally for admiring himself, but it is dual purpose) looking for any pressure plates or other wire driven traps.

He finds none. The coast is, for the moment, clear, and he can throw open the door to reveal the secrets within!

The First Chamber is a safe area, I'll describe the treasures within in a later post, but know that you can clear your Stress and Mana tracks and otherwise recover as if you'd reached a Minor Milestone.

Pyre of Word Salsa
Apr 25, 2017

Jacob Her'lson
FP: 2 | Stress: OOO | Boosts: | Consequences: | Mana: XOO

Jacob froze at how quickly everything went into a frenzy of action, his feet glued to the floor. He couldn't react... no, he could move. This, he thought, was the work of a true, competent cabal. A team of wizards who knew what they were doing and knew it well. In comparison, well... he couldn't do anything other than to tag along. Scanning for illusion did nothing. Neither did the suits he brought with him. Truly, he couldn't do much for the betterment of the team.

But is it all that bad? He thought, If they take blows now, they may be too tired to continue delving for more knowledge while I can continue.

But for now, he decided to do what he could. Entering the safe room, Jacob decided to make the most use of his specialty and decided to scour for any traps that would involve creatures or the mind in the rooms up ahead.

4dF+3 = 1. Gonna mark off my first mana box to boot it up to +3.

Instead of joining the others at the starlight, Jacob chose to investigate the rest of the room for any ancient writings left by the deceased wizard.

Pyre of Word Salsa fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jun 11, 2017

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

The Delver
Fate Points: 3/3 | Boosts: - | Consequences: - | Stress: [] [] [] | Mana: [] [] [] []

The Delver walked into the Chamber, expanding his arms as the starlight from the alcove filled him with the sweet taste of Mana once again.

"Ahh, perfection, as foreseen, yes", he turned to Tyrannus, "Fleshweaver", he invoked, "I've been impressed with your aptitude thus far. The dangers of delving are many, indeed, yet you avoid danger most deftly. Should you be willing to harden my skin to armor plate such as yours, or perhaps modify my body to stretch akin to rubber to absorb blows and allow for more... malleable evocations", The Delver laughed, as if at some private joke, "I would be most grateful."

The Delver did not really wait for much of a reply though, confident that Tyrannus would address him if he were willing. Instead, the strange mage was content in inspecting the various treasures of the Room.

For my Minor Milestone: I shall swap my stunt 'Power of the Ancients' for one of identical name: Because I have the Power of the Ancients, I gain an additional +2 to any Primal action if I use Mana for it.

Pyre of Word Salsa
Apr 25, 2017

"Wait, what!?" Jacob stared at Tyrannus, having overheard the conversation "You modify bodies? You grow armor? Uh... hubbabubawa?"

His mind crashed into the depths of the starlight and his expression morphed to that of a thousand yard stare as a planet ring did hula-hoops around his psyche. His mind was infinitesimal, drowning in mana with the introspection of a meteor strike getting uppercutted into the stratosphere by the thousand yard (and a thousand count) arms stretching from his armor into infinity and beyond. He couldn't escape, would not escape the horror that was the Fleshshaper.

Brain exit right stage. Body exit left, shaped by Tyrannus.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Created Aspects: Magically Attuned Eyes (1 free Invoke), Enhanced Eyesight (1 0 free Invokes), Armored Skin (1 free Invoke) Acid-Proof (1 free Invoke)
Fate Points: 2/3 | Boosts: - | Consequences: - | Stress: 1[ ] 2[ ] 3[ ] | Mana: 1[ ] 2[ ] 3[ ]

Tyrannus bathes in the star light, drawing precious mana from it, rejuvenating himself. When the Delver comes over and requests his assistance, Tyrannus responds, "It is good that you have seen the benefits of shedding human limitations. I would be happy to help you, but given that we are away from my labs, and I am unfamiliar with the makeup of your flesh, I think it best to limit it to a simpler change. When we return from this expedition, we can discuss a more radical course of modifications."

He begins the work, attempting to grow armor plates from his skin, hopefully beginning the other's liberation from the limitations of his merely human body.

Altering the Delver to give him some flesh-armor (Difficulty 2): 4dF+5 5 Success with Style

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

The Delver
Created Aspects: Lightless Lantern (0 Free Invoke), Flesh-Armor (2 Free Invokes)
Fate Points: 3/3 | Boosts: - | Consequences: - | Stress: [] [] [] | Mana: [] [] [] []

The Delver looked on as his skin expanded somewhat (less so in areas of high dexterity, more so in less mobile places), and took on a slightly grayish shimmer. His tattoos and other wards still remained as they were, and even though he had gained some bulk, it was not readily apparent below his rather baggy robes unless your eye was particularly good. He inspected his arms and knocked on his chest a couple of times, before cackling for a bit.

"Marvelous, yes indeed, most marvelous... Yes, I most definitely agree that we ought to continue our correspondence later. I foresee in our cooperation a lot of... potential."

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Treasures of the First Chamber

The first chamber apparently represents an early, adventuring, period of the mysterious wizard's life. Such things were common before the days of thin mana, when wizards would join forces not with other wizards but with the now extinct class of humans called 'adventurers', men and women who wandered the land and solved problems primarily with force of arms.

As such, there are a variety of archaic enchanted weapons lining the walls, mostly swords with minor enchantments of sharpness or skill. The crown jewel of the collection is a jeweled mace containing a lost enchantment sovereign against the animating spells that power the undead. These so called maces of disruption were all lost ages ago and the secrets of their enchantment with them. All told, the collection of weaponry can be salvaged for a small amount of Mana.

There is of course, gold. Glittering treasures litter the floor in wasteful splendor, thousands of near worthless archaic gold coins sit in haphazard piles. Modern wizards stopped collecting gold after transmutation spells became widespread, so as not to destabilize the fragile mortal economy. Still, these ancient coins have some value as collector's items and curiosities.

Finally, there is lore. While most of the tomes filling the shelves beneath the weapons are primers still used today, there are lost treatises on battle magic, the undead, and even hand written volumes detailing primitive space flight. These last are written by who refers to himself as E. Mantel, a name unknown to the modern era but apparently the father of interplanetary travel if these accounts are to be believed.

Apparently this tomb was once a 'rocketship' that plied the planets in search of knowledge and ever greater Mana. It used primitive explosive propulsion and while it was successful in reaching the other planets within the system, it found them barren and as devoid of Mana as they are today. The books tell a tale of minor discoveries, a pool of Mana here, a collection there, each of which he greedily devoured. He even spread great sails to catch the starlight in an attempt to gather Mana himself, which was unsuccessful. All told, the books are a story of excess and greed, signifying nothing but failure.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Fate Points: 3/3 | Boosts: - | Consequences: - | Stress: 1[ ] 2[ ] 3[ ] | Mana: 1[ ] 2[ ] 3[ ]

Tyrannus looked over the various items. Nothing particularly interested him, perhaps others might wish to study the mace, but he did not.

"There should be enough here to gain some mana. I propose we split what's present between those of us which succeeded in defusing traps."

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

FP: 3 Stress: ^ ^ _ Mana: * * *

The horror at his feet was too much for him to focus on any more. He tries to distract himself. What could he learn from this? He rolls on his back, the back of his hands over his eyes, repeating the words of his old master like a mantra. What destroys you reforms you, what destroys you reforms you....

The trap had presented some advantage over him, and so to grow he had to make himself more like the trap. It seemed like a challenge, and he occupied himself with it for a few moments, trying very hard not to think of his feet, when the thought struck him. An image of the spell sigil shining untouched, while the hallway around it was destroyed. It was coated in something noble to the acid which had eaten him.

He sits up suddenly, and moves to examine the place where it had been. The sigil was riven, but it remained. No real time now, but there would be soon enough. He rams his hand into the stone and collects a nice chunk off the top. With a crack, he opens his mouth, and deposits the chunk for safe-keeping. He closes his mouth, and goes to join the others.

He's impressed by the lost technology, but it only increases his disappointment. After his collapse at the last trap, he didn't have the face to claim much of anything. The very best he could hope for was one or maybe two of the lesser magical weapons, and hope he did while he leafed through the diagrams of E. Mantel, which was the real treasure in the room. Eventually he catches sight of his feet and winces. He grabs a handful of malleable gold and smooths it over his feet. It wasn't a fix for anything, but at least he wouldn't have to look at it.

He looks up. "All our gods have clay feet".

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Orono collects a sample of the resistive-coating
Orono tries to put gold on his feet so they're not as ugly. I'm not sure if this requires a roll.
I'll hook up with the discord later today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

The Delver
Created Aspects: Lightless Lantern (0 Free Invoke), Flesh-Armor (2 Free Invokes)

The Delver nodded absentmindedly as Tyrannus spoke, taken that most of his attention was taken by the mace, his fingers dancing over it as he muttered under his breath.

"Indeed, indeed, those who delve are those who profit, yes, the hidden powers and buried treasures are for those who unearth them... Thus I propose, for the Fleshweaver and the Man of Stone, equal piles of trinkets, for me this Mace and its secrets. And worry not, I intend to share them once deciphered yes, a cabal must not tread in the darkness of ignorance ahahaa..."

The mage unfurled his map, "As for our next target, yes, might I suggest chamber number three, for it shines as bright as this one? There is much to delve still, yes..."

OOC: As per Discord, there's 6 mana point's worth of Mana here, 2 of which is in the mace (as in, it could be slagged into two Mana boxes of 3 for example). And taken that this whole affair has been mostly an effort between Orono, The Delver and Tyrannus thus far, we're splitting it 2 for each. There's plenty of more chambers to come still though.

Theantero fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 11, 2017

• Locked thread