Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
The Delver
Created Aspects:
LOOT:
Fate Points: 0/3 | Boosts: Relentless gaze | Consequences: - | Stress: [] [] [] | Mana: 1.[][][][][] 2.[][x][][][] 3.[][][][][] 4.[][][][][] 5.[][][][][] 6.[][][][][] 7.[][][][][] 8.[][][][][] 10.[][][][][] 11.[] 12.[] | Free Mana Points: 98

"The order matters little", The Delver's voice carried from a dark corner of the biosub's bridge, "Yet we will not leave until this hidden behemoth my gaze has happened upon has been... properly studied."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Tyrannus
Created Aspects: | Fate Points: 3/3 | Boosts: - Draconic Organization
Consequences: - | Stress: 1[ ] 2[ ] 3[ ] 4[ ] |
Mana:
1[X][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] - 2 [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] - 3 [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
4 [ ][X][ ][ ][ ][ ] - 5 [X][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] - 6 [X][X][ ][ ][ ][ ]
Pure Mana: 199

A visit to the locals it is then," Tyrannus responds. He proceeds to give the orders to the Reborn crew to set course for the nearest flotilla.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Meet the Peoples

In a few short hours the submarine surfaces and bumps gently against the docking hooks of a Flotilla. Called 'Mango' by the locals, the Flotilla holds just shy of 200 people, making it one of the larger Flotillas of the People. The children, instead of playing in the rigging and on the planks, are listless and pale, their elderly caretakers little better. As it's the middle of the day all the able bodied people are harvesting kelp and crab, labor intensive work that happens down the wake, take advantage of the currents left behind. As such, they're all manning the wake skimmers that make up much of the flotilla at rest.

Essentially, the wizards arrive with little fanfare and with no one to greet them as the Reborn crew tie the submarine off and still the engine to a resting state.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Marquise Adeleine de la Neraille
FP: 1 Stress: [][][] Mana: 1[][] 2[][] 3[][] 4[x][] 5[][] 6[][] Mana Capacitors 10[][][][] 15[][][] 20 [][]Bonus Aspects: Ice-Winged Familiar (1 Free invocation), Defensive Drone (2 invocations) Boosts: Stolen Momentum, I Have Everything Under Control, Benevolent Tyrant Pure Mana: 198

Out of the submarine, in a shower of golden and green fireworks, flew the Marquise, spreading her arms as if to embrace the whole flotilla, and projecting her voice. "Greetings, people of this planet! I am Marquise Adeleine de le Neraille, and I am a visitor from another planet! I possess powers beyond your wildest dreams, but do not worry: I wish you no harm! In fact, behold the gifts that my lordship brings!"

She pointed an arm downwards, and there, a new mysterious alga grew out of thin water. "Farm this plant, my little friends! It will bring you health and longevity! In fact, here!" She brought an hand to her temple, and suddenly, new foreign notions of planting and harvesting appeared in the mind of several villagers. "Now there are many amongst you that know how to take care of it! Farm it , eat it, live long and prosper!"

Creating a plant to satisfy their needs. Difficulty was 8, I rolled a 5; I tick a 4 mana box to bring this to 11 (I get +2 because of True Power of the Ancients) and succeed, creating the boost Benevolent Tyrant

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Tyrannus
Created Aspects: | Fate Points: 3/3 | Boosts:
Consequences: - | Stress: 1[ ] 2[ ] 3[ ] 4[ ]
Mana:
1[X][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] - 2 [X][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] - 3 [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
4 [X][X][ ][ ][ ][ ] - 5 [X][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] - 6 [X][X][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Tyrannus saw the Marquise's strategy, and grasped the inherent contradiction in it. She was offering them a long-term solution, their food problems would be solved... by the next harvest. However, in the meantime, hope and future prospects didn't fill one's belly. All of this left him with an... opportunity. So, Tyrannus traveled to where the bulk of the flotilla's people were working. There, as people stared in alarm at his appearance, he spoke, his voice booming and alien, "People of Mango, I have seen your struggles from afar, and so I have descended from the heavens to make an offer." With a wave of his hand, he caused a huge amount of fairly tantalizing food to appear besides him, no doubt more food than any had seen in their entire lives, enough to feed the population of the flotilla for months. The mana residue from the spell floated in the area, forming a sort of shimmering aura around him.

"This is but a trifling of my power. Those who come before me and swear their eternal fealty, offering their bodies and souls to my service will earn my boon. Neither they nor their families will ever go hungry again." He pauses, letting them absorb the gravity of his offer. "What say you, will you continue to cling to your old ways and watch you and your loved ones starve, or will you embrace your new lord and god?"

Making Food (Matter Overcome) (DC 7): 4dF+3 2 Spending 2-1 and 4-1 to raise this to 8, True Power of the Ancients raises it to 10, Success w/ Style. Gaining the boost Divine Aura.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
The Delver
Created Aspects:
LOOT:
Fate Points: 0/3 | Boosts: Relentless gaze | Consequences: - | Stress: [] [] [] | Mana: 1.[][][][][] 2.[][][][][] 3.[][][][][] 4.[][x][][][] 5.[][][][][] 6.[][][][][] 7.[][][][][] 8.[][][][][] 10.[][][][][] 11.[] 12.[] | Free Mana Points: 98

The Delver, for his part, took no interest in the starving primitives they had encountered. Instead, he had sealed himself in the deepest chamber of their submarine vessel, warded the doors and entrances with jagged runes and eldritch charms, deep in meditation in a baleful ring of occult intent. He muttered to himself, words and phrases not for mortal ears, as his gaze, and his elder eye in particular, seemed to bore through the very hull of the craft, through the waters and the impenetrable dark. Searching, searching, and homing in on a being he had seen but glimpses of before. Saner men would have left their curiosity at that.

But The Delver? He was never satisfied by a mere glimpse.

Intelligently Overcoming to commune with Abyssal Manakraken to gain COOL SECRETS and INSIGHT, using Omni-Wand. Difficulty 10
4dF+4: 5
Ticking a Mana Box 4 (and unticking a Mana Box 2 due to Baleful Sources) for a +4, gaining +2 due to True Power of the Ancients, making this roll an 11 and thus a Success

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Surface

The people are reluctant to take the food after its miraculous appearance. There are too many stories in the local culture that start like this and then end badly. Almost as one they make a sign to ward off evil and turn from Tyrannus, only the most desperate and nearly dying on their feet take him up on his offer.

Below

The Delver reaches out with his mind to make contact with the creature he sensed in the deeps... As soon as his mind touches the monster he feels an immense hunger as it rapidly pulls the location of the flotilla from the Delver's mind and severs the link. He gained something else from that brief moment of communion, but it will take time to unpack as the monster's all devouring hunger eclipsed anything he learned.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

The Delver
Created Aspects:
LOOT:
Fate Points: 0/3 | Boosts: Relentless gaze | Consequences: - | Stress: [] [] [] | Mana: 1.[][][][][] 2.[][][][][] 3.[][][][][] 4.[][x][][][] 5.[][][][][] 6.[][][][][] 7.[][][][][] 8.[][][][][] 10.[][][][][] 11.[] 12.[] | Free Mana Points: 98

The disquieting whisper in the back of your mind, The Delver's chosen form of contact, crawled along the psyches of the cabal.

"A speck, a tiny speck we are, yet still seen by abyssal eyes, yes, prepare yourselves or face doom ahahaaa"

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The Village

The Marquise is busy expanding the knowledge of the locals when the warning hit. There must have been some telepathic spilloff or maybe even an ancestral spell baked into the villagers' DNA as they immediately drop what they're doing, thank her for her time, and suggest she fly away to the land of the sky people from which she came.... because the Devourer of Hope is coming.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

The Delver
Created Aspects:
LOOT:
Fate Points: 0/3 | Boosts: Mana Saturation | Consequences: - | Stress: [] [] [] | Mana: 1.[][][][][] 2.[][][][][] 3.[][][][][] 4.[][][][][] 5.[][][][][] 6.[][][][][] 7.[][x][][][] 8.[][x][][][] 9.[][x][][][] 10.[][x][][][] 11.[x] 12.[x] | Free Mana Points: 98

"Worry not, pitiful wretches", the whisper could now be heard along the entire flotilla, "Your ancestral foe is but a gnat at the scale we operate ahahahahahahhahaaaaa yessss let me show you your folly by taming this creature you so fear but with a few incantations"

And thus, The Delver set to work. Incantation interspersed with mad cackling, or indeed, perhaps the other way around, echoed across the vessel, the flotilla, as The Delver wrought his fell magics, tapping to reserves unknown to him mere months prior. As he worked, the waters gained a strange, crimson hue, as Mana broke down the veils of reality itself, occasional glimpses to things beyond could be seen, things that writhed and squeezed in strange ethereal tendrils to our reality under The Delver's command, that then made their way to the deepest depths. Once there, they wove a moving weave, almost eerily elegant in a mesmerizing way, around the Kraken in a spherical manner. And only then, did The Delver, with a final spell, make this immaterial mesh material, locking the Kraken in an unbreakable prison.

The giant thing was lifted, lifted up above, rising from the depths. For no reason other than to show the people of the flotilla their power: to show them the fact that these visitors had rendered their most mythical and ancient of enemies into a feeble, imprisoned beast in a matter of moments. Then, The Delver worked his spellcraft again, and shrunk the thing down, to the size of your average cantaloupe, except made of writhing crimson weave and housing a strange squidlike creature, and teleported the entire thing to The Grand Malebolge, on a pedestal of black obsidian tendrils clad in runic scripts, that immediately wrapped around this new object.

The Delver cackled.

"...It is done, the secrets gained", spoke the whisper, "locked forever in our domain..."

Then there was silence.

Overcome with Matter to seal Kraken in a bubble, using Omni-Wand. Difficulty 25
4dF+3: 2
Ticking a Mana Box 11 and a Mana Box 12 for a +23, (and unticking a Mana Box 4 due to Baleful Sources) gaining +2 due to True Power of the Ancients, making this roll a 27 and thus a Success

Overcoming with Void to shrink created bubble, using Omni-Wand. Difficulty 25
4dF+5: 7
Ticking a Mana Box 10 and a Mana Box 9 for a +19, gaining +2 due to True Power of the Ancients, making this roll a 28 and thus a Success with Style, gaining me the Boost: Obscene Demonstration of Cosmic Power

Overcoming with Void to secure shrunk ball into the Malebolge in such a way that the Kraken has no hope of escape, using Omni-Wand. Difficulty 25
4dF+5: 6
Ticking a Mana Box 3, a Mana Box 7 and a Mana Box 8 for a +18, (and unticking a Mana Box 3 due to Baleful Sources) gaining +2 due to True Power of the Ancients, and +2 from burning my Boost: Obscene Demonstration of Cosmic Power making this roll a 28 and thus a Success with Style, gaining me the Boost: Mana Saturation

Theantero fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Aug 16, 2017

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Tyrannus
Created Aspects: | Fate Points: 3/3 | Boosts:
Mana:
1[X][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] - 2 [X][X][ ][ ][ ][ ] - 3 [ ][X][ ][ ][ ][ ]
4 [X][X][ ][ ][ ][ ] - 5 [X][X][ ][ ][ ][ ] - 6 [X][X][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Once he had seen the Delver turn away tje threat of the creature, Tyrannus turned to those who had accepted his offer. By now they had eaten their fill of the feast he has created. So he gathered them to himself, "You are wiser than your foolish and shortsighted fellows. I offer many gifts and in return I expect the loyalty and praise that is my due. Know now my blessings, so that your fellows can learn the folly of their ways."

The fleshshaper then raised his arms over the group, wielding his magic on them. The still shimmering aura around him sinking into them as he uses it to help power the spell. He would alter them body and soul. They would be stronger and hardier than their fellows. Any disease or deformity would be wiped away. Additionally, and especially relevant, their digestive tracts would be far more efficient than the regular citizens allowing them to not merely survive, but thrive on a fraction of the food require by a normal Mangoer. Lastly, he would alter their souls to ensure their absolute loyalty to him.

All the while he would work to retain their human appearance, though he found no particular value in it, it would be helpful in allowing them to recruit their fellows to his cause. He could always give them appearances better befitting their true natures later, after all.

"Blessing" the converts (Matter/Mind Overcome) (DC 12): 4dF+3 0 Using my boost: Divine Aura to reroll Reroll: 4dF+3 3. Spending my 2-2, 3-2, &5-2 mana boxes to raise it to 13 and True Power of the Ancients to raise that to 15. Success with Style. Gaining the boost Local Devotees

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

FP: 1 Stress: [][][] Mana: 1[][] 2[][] 3[][] 4[x][] 5[][] 6[][] Mana Capacitors 10[][][][] 15[][][] 20 [][]Bonus Aspects: Ice-Winged Familiar (1 Free invocation), Defensive Drone (2 invocations) Boosts: Stolen Momentum, I Have Everything Under Control Pure Mana: 198

The monstrous expenditure of mana on the Delver's part makes the Marquise's ears ring: but she's not one to balk just because it becomes necessary to deal with the unexpected. She smiles serenely at the crowd. "See my own colleagues' gift, oh maritime friends! A monster inhabiting your oceans is vanquished by the Delver, and your colleagues already grow stronger and more fit under Tyrannus' care! Are you now convinced that we are on your side?"

Rolled a success to sway the flotilla's opinion in our favor.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Anyway you Want it That's the Way You Need It

Anyone who can stop the Devourer of Hope deserves thanks and praise, no matter what other monster of the deep they swear allegiance to! The people think as they celebrate and cheer and swear loyalty to the Triumvirate. The celebrations last long into the evening as many jugs of kelp beer are lifted in song. A dozen or so followers join Tyrannus' crew during the celebration, after the others talk about how fit and full of vigor they now are.

When dawn breaks the Mangonians are ready to sign whatever treaty required and spread both the new algae and the new farming techniques with any other Flotilla they encounter.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Tyrannus
Created Aspects: | Fate Points: 3/3 | Boosts: Local Devotees
Mana:
1[X][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] - 2 [X][X][X][ ][ ][ ] - 3 [ ][X][X][ ][ ][ ]
4 [X][X][X][ ][ ][ ] - 5 [X][X][X][ ][ ][ ] - 6 [X][X][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Tyrannus was pleased that the natives had agreed to swear fealty to them. They were now a step closer to gaining this planet's mana. They still needed to establish some sort of unified government on this planet, but now at least they had a vessel in order to do so. There was also the excellent news that his own following had increased. It however, brought to light a potential issue. He needed something to allow his cult to continue to spread even in his absence. So, the flesh-shaper set to work creating an living artifact that would reliable repeat the transformation of body and soul, usable by mundanes.

When he was finished he held in his hand a roughly ovoid shaped object slightly larger than his hand. It pulsed gently with life. When placed on a subject's chest it would alter their physiology as with the others, and their soul to ensure absolute loyalty to Tyrannus. The fleshshaper handed it to the de-facto leader of his cult, and ordered them "You are to spread My word to your fellows and to whatever other flotillas you encounter. When people come to join you, if they are willing to swear themselves to me body and soul, you may use this holy artifact to grant them my blessing. It is not to be used on those unwilling to swear themselves to me, and to do so is a terrible sin."

Then he carefully observed the artifact's use on the new converts, to ensure it was functioning as intended.

Creating a Bio-Artifact to grant Tyrannus "blessing" to new converts (Mind/Matter Overcome) (DC 15): 4dF+3 0 Spending my 5-3, 4-3, 3-3, & 2-3 boxes + True Power of the Ancients to raise it to 16. Success.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

FP: 0 Stress: [][][] Mana: 1[][] 2[][] 3[][] 4[x][] 5[][] 6[][] Mana Capacitors 10[][][][] 15[][][] 20 [][]Bonus Aspects: Ice-Winged Familiar (1 Free invocation), Defensive Drone (2 invocations) Boosts: Stolen Momentum, I Have Everything Under Control Pure Mana: 198

"Wonderful, my newfound friends! Me and my colleagues will have to go soon, but please, spread the word! Let people know of the blessings that we can share with them! And do share the wealth."

With that, she turned to the other two. "Well, I do believe this is handled. Perhaps now we can deal with collecting Tyrannus' samples, hmm?"

Rolled a 1 to convince them to spread the word, spent my last fate point on Social Butterfly to get a success.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

The Delver
Created Aspects:
LOOT:
Fate Points: 0/3 | Boosts: - | Consequences: - | Stress: [] [] [] | Mana: 1.[][][][][] 2.[][][][][] 3.[][][][][] 4.[][][][][] 5.[][x][][][] 6.[][x][][][] 7.[][x][][][] 8.[][x][][][] 9.[][x][][][] 10.[][x][][][] 11.[x] 12.[x] | Free Mana Points: 98

The Delver, for his part, cared precious little for the machinations of his peers with the locals. After all, he had far more interesting prey right here in his Grand Malebolge, the ancient mind and soul of which would most certainly offer treasures far more valuable than the feeble midns of aquatic primitives. The mage prepared his reagents and incantations as he peered deep, deep into the ball and the primordial intellect within, cackling softly to himself all the while as he reached deep, and ever deeper still...

Overcome with Intelligence to delve the bound ManaKraken's mind and essence for cool secrets, using omni-wand. Difficulty 15
4dF+4: 2
Ticking a Mana Box 6 and a Mana Box 5 for a +11, gaining +2 due to True Power of the Ancients, and burning my Boost: Mana Saturation for a +2 for a +15, making this roll a 17 and thus a Success

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Bon Voyage

With matters settled with the Mangoites the submersible casts off and drifts until it is clear of the wake from the Flotilla. The sub's sonar picks up another likely sample, a colossal whale encrusted in barnacles in the deeps. It defends itself by electrolyzing water into hydrogen and oxygen, which it mixes with its own secretions to create a form of underwater napalm. While this is not a rare talent in the animal kingdom, the barnacles are, as they can go almost their entire life without taking in oxygen, filtering in the rare waste oxygen from the whale.

Bone For Turna

The Delver makes contact with the creature's mind again and tastes of his endless hunger. Fighting for control, the Delver expends Mana at a tremendous rate, which the beast laps up hungrily, almost too late the Delver realizes this monster is a primordial wizard! He grabs wildly for a secret and breaks contact, then layers spell after soporific spell over the kraken in an attempt to lull it back to sleep, which succeeds.

The Delver gains Fleshmonger's Desire: Any time you sacrifice a human life, gain 3 Pure Mana.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Tyrannus
Mana:

The readings of the whale are fascinating, the barnacles have properties that will be quite useful to him, so Tyrannus orders the crew of his sub to take them closer to the subject.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Deep down

The sub descends to close with the whale. The water becomes choppy from pockets of hydrogen emitted by the whale. Suddenly the pockets ignite as the whale awakens! It lets out a keening wail underwater and swims to the north. The sub is unharmed from the micro explosions, but if it happens again there could be leaks.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Tyrannus
Mana:

The first approach has been a disaster. A more careful attempt would be needed. So Tyrannus, taking the Omni-Wand from the Delver, weaves magic around the living submersible attempting to render it virtually undetectable to the whale.

@Valhawk: 4dF+1+2 = (bbb+)+1+2 = 4

Success

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Silent Running

The various gurgles and bubbling noises are masked out by Tyrannus' spell and the sub gets closer and closer to its prey. Panicked, the whale sprays a screen of underwater napalm behind it, creating a dangerous wall of flames that must be circled around, giving the whale more time to escape.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Tyrannus
Mana:
1[X][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] - 2 [X][X][X][ ][ ][ ] - 3 [X][X][X][ ][ ][ ]

Tyrannus was not one to sit meekly by as his prey escaped. With a wave of the Omni-Wand he magically dissipates the wall of flame and continues the chase.

@Valhawk: 4dF+0+2 = (b--+)+0+2 = 1. Spending my 3-1 mana and True Power of the Ancients to raise it to 6. Success.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Firewall

The fire is snuffed out and the sub plows through the remaining gel from the attack. At full speed it slams broadside into the whale, dislodging barnacles into the open water. The sub is undamaged but the whale is definitely hurt as it starts to limp away.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Tyrannus
Mana:
1[X][X][ ][ ][ ][ ] - 2 [X][X][X][ ][ ][ ] - 3 [X][X][X][ ][ ][ ]

Success! Tyrannus thrilled at the victory as his Reborn arranged to collect the barnacles for his study. As he looks at his opponent limping away, the Fleshshaper makes a snap decision. The beast had put up a formidable challenge. It would no doubt be useful as a war form of some variety or another. So, Omni-Wand firmly in hand, Tyrannus dominates it's mind, and then orders it to return to the sub. As it travels he shrinks it down enough to allow it to be safely stored on the sub until they can return to his labs on Counter Aerth.

Dominating the Whale
@Valhawk: 4df+3+2 = (--+-)+3+2 = 3 Spending 1-2 and True Power of the Ancients to raise it to 6. Success.

Shrinking the Dominated Whale
@Valhawk: 4dF+0+2 = (--b+)+0+2 = 1 spending my 4-4 and 2-4 plus True Power of the Ancients to raise it to 9. Success.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

FP: 0 Stress: [][][] Mana: 1[][] 2[][] 3[][] 4[x][] 5[][] 6[][x] Mana Capacitors 10[][][][] 15[][][] 20 [][]Bonus Aspects: Ice-Winged Familiar (1 Free invocation), Defensive Drone (2 invocations) Boosts: Stolen Momentum, I Have Everything Under Control Pure Mana: 198

Sometime later, the dreams of the inhabitants of this planet are all the same.

It's the Marquise. She sends visions to everyone on the planet, just like she did on Aerth, showing them the cabal's triumph over the giant squid and the whale. "We can protect you." says her soothing voice. "From this and other menaces, menaces so great they could crush you without you even knowing. To do this, we need to do something to your planet, something that will not alter your lifestyle and will help us protect you. There are no tricks, no lies; you won't even notice the difference. Will you let us protect you?"

Rolled a 4, adding 6 from mana, 2 from True Power of the Ancients and 2 from the omniwand to bring this to a success.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The Following Night

Surveying the dreamscape of another planet is a relatively easy task, especially when looking for a message. The majority of the people living their lives of quiet desperation said "Yes" along with a strong sense of hope, for a better tomorrow.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Downtime

With another planet safely enveloped in the Planetarium's embrace, the black hole drive prepares for its longest jump yet, toward a cluster of inhabited worlds.

You know the drill, you get 3 turns to research, influence your planets, build stuff, etc.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Tyrannus
Created Aspects: | Fate Points: 3/3 |  Boosts: Local Devotees  
Mana:
1[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] - 2 [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] - 3 [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
4 [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] - 5 [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] - 6 [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
Pure Mana: 199+6-200 = 5

Tyrannus returned to the Tower, and from there traveled to his planet.  Setting down, he reviewed the reports from Mantel, who had assembled information on the resources available to his master upon the planet.  Tyrannus inquired to any signs of the development of divine beings on the planet, once he had an answer he turned to his next subject.  "It is past time that you were no longer the last dragon."

Tyrannus paused for a moment and then continued, "I envision an army of Draconic wizards, born from your essence molded to serve me as you are.  They shall go among the Reborn as my priests and leaders, using their power to do my will and crush my enemies."

It would not be an easy or cheap endeavor. In fact it would require a significant amount of the mana he had gathered to date.

First he selected a site, and then began to grow the structure.  It's components were relatively straightforward for the most part.  Maturation pods, soul molding equipment, organic storage for the programming that would be piped into the gestating dragons’ brains, and all of the infrastructure to support it.  The more complicated design was the cloning machine itself.  It took some effort to grow the delicate equipment just right to ensure a degree of genetic diversity among the outputs while ensuring certain traits would remain constant no matter how many dragons were produced.  

The essential process would have a genetic sample created then routed to one of the maturation pods.  There, through a process of magically enhanced growth, the sample would be grown into a fully mature dragon.  While this occured, the soul moulding equipment built into each maturation pod would ensure the dragons’ souls mets Tyrannus specifications.  At the same time, a personality matrix, knowledge, and skills would be downloaded direction into the dragon’s brain throughout the maturation process.  The end result a fully grown dragon who’s body, mind, and soul met Tyrannus’ purposes.  Only it wouldn’t be just one at a time, or just once.  The site would support multiple maturation chambers, and was intended to be constantly preparing new batches as each dragon emerged from their pod.

As for the physical template that was simple.  Mantel provided all of the genetic material he would ever need.  The dragons would be strongly based on Mantel with a few minor tweaks and improvements to suit their new purpose.  What wouldn’t change thought was the mana-manipulation trait, and the sex of the dragons.  Without the first, their usefulness would be greatly reduced.  The second was more of a precaution.  Mantel was male, and so it made sense to have all the dragons produced by spawning factory be male as well.  Tyrannus had not yet determined whether soul molding was passed down hereditarily, and he wasn’t about to take a chance on the birth of dragons outside of his control.  By ensuring the dragons were all biologically male, it would make breeding impossible, and thus reduced the odds of the creation of a dragon not under his control substantially.

Once the physical details were worked out, there was only the mental blueprint.  It was here, that Mantel was especially useful.  Mantel would ensure that the indoctrination in the maturation pods would include all of the skills and knowledge necessary for them to be of use from the moment of their emergence fully grown from the pods.  While Mantel handled the functional aspects, Tyrannus focused on the broader personality design, ensuring it complemented and reinforced the soul alterations which ensured these dragons would be absolutely fanatically devoted to Tyrannus.  For the dragons their most basic belief would be that Tyrannus is God, their most primal instinct to worship him.  Their minds would be inculcated with knowledge of their place as his priests and enforcers, using their magic to carry out his will.

Tyrannus oversaw the development of the first batch personally, both to ensure there were no unexpected kinks in the process and to experience first hand just what he had wrought.  He wanted to see the reactions of his new dragon priest first hand.

Spending 200 mana to create a tame wizard dragon spawning facility on Counter Aerth

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

The Delver
Created Aspects:
LOOT:
Fate Points: 0/3 | Boosts: - | Consequences: - | Stress: [] [] [] | Mana: 1.[][][][][] 2.[][][][][] 3.[][][][][] 4.[][][][][] 5.[][x][][][] 6.[][x][][][] 7.[][x][][][] 8.[][x][][][] 9.[][x][][][] 10.[][x][][][] 11.[x] 12.[x] | Free Mana Points: 98

Infinite power, infinite power at his fingertips. It was a difficult thing, for The Delver, to pass such things by. But he could feel, somewhere deep in his psyche, a presence. A deep presence of sorts, a hunger. A light and a shadow that cast itself over many an outside dimension, looming so large as to be easily mistaken for background. Something that they were far too insignificant specks as of yet to notice. And as long as he was pactbound to the cabal, he could not go behind their backs either.

Thus, he had to creep, to build up his power slower, probe this presence, and scheme. This new planet they had taken would function as yet another stone towards his goals.

Without much word, The Delver set towards harvesting the planet for its bounty in behalf of the Cabal.

Using my first downtime action to harvest the new planet for 1000 Mana, taking the yearly deal

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Awakening

The dragon manufacturing process was relatively slow, even with magic there was a limit on how fast a massive and intensely magical creature like a dragon could be grown to full size. Even with the machines operating at full efficiency, it took several days for the first few dragons to awaken.

They took to obedience immediately and were eager to show their loyalty, almost to the point of fighting amongst themselves. Competitive by nature, they would need some sort of hierarchy more complicated than the one Tyrannus presented to keep them line, otherwise their zeal would prove to be a detriment instead of an asset.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

The Delver
Created Aspects:
LOOT:
Fate Points: 0/3 | Boosts: - | Consequences: - | Stress: [] [] [] | Mana: 1.[][][][][] 2.[][][][][] 3.[][][][][] 4.[][][][][] 5.[][][][][] 6.[][][][][] 7.[][][][][] 8.[][][][][] 9.[][][][][] 10.[][][][][] 11.[] 12.[] | Free Mana Points: 382

Smoke wafted in strangely angular, impossible spirals from a variety of dark, runed candles, interspersed at the junctions of the ritual circle The Delver had drawn inside The Grand Malebolge. The wizard worked in the center, a variety of crooked implements around him as he shaped some sort of small, delicate looking object. A small crystal of first purified an distilled mana, then again tainted by The Delver's vile magics, lattices spreading to alien dimensions, encased in a twirling cage of brass filaments that did not move or shift, yet was always different every time you looked at it. A soul cage, any learned wizard could tell you, but its diminutive size belied its massive potency.

Yes indeed, this vessel was extremely strong. Strong enough that it could hold and bind into service an Elder Being of very high caliber. Elder Beings with known names, even.

The Delver cackled. Yes indeed, this would be the day that he'd achieve one of his longstanding goals. He began to incant, to commune and summon. Harz'azz'azza'set, the beholder of inside and outside, would now see for him and him alone...

Using my two other Downtime Actions: Making a Soul Cage for 100 Mana, gaining 50% discount due to my Stunt: Grand Diabolist and thus only paying 50. Then I use the other action to bind a particular Elder Being (Harz'azz'azza'set, the beholder of inside and outside, seer of is and is not)

Overcome with Primal to bind a cool Elder Being in my Soul Cage, using Omni-Wand. Difficulty 35
4dF+5: 5
Ticking a Mana Box 12, a Mana Box 11 and a Mana Box 6 for a +29, gaining +2 due to True Power of the Ancients,, making this roll a 36 and thus a Success

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Tyrannus
Created Aspects: | Fate Points: 3/3 |  Boosts:
Mana:
Pure Mana:332

Tyrannus was pleased indeed with the first batch of dragons. Their utter zeal pleased him, but raised a problem that needed to be addressed. It was not just the dragons, he had transformed this entire planet's population, but he hadn't had time to actually alter their society. They still lived their lives largely as before, if with new-found faith and improved bodies. If this world was to be of use to him, it needed to be reborn as its people had been. So it was that Tyrannus retired for a time with Mantel to plan out the new hierarchy for this world. In some ways the answer came naturally, an extension of the use he had in mind for this world. They were to be the cabal's army, and so a military structure was a natural fit as was a more theocratic bent considering he had made himself the God to the populace and his dragons.

The Reborn would be as enlisted soldiers, the dragons the officers. Besides meshing with the dragons' nature, the fact that the Reborn uniformly were not mana users, while his dragons were, made the choice obvious. So it would be that the dragons would be God's priests, commanding his flocks, and ensuring they served Tyrannus' plans with fanatical zeal. Just as an army was broken down into smaller subdivisions so it would be with this world. Below himself there would be Mantel, his Hand and head of his church. Below Mantel, would be a group of dragon-priests assigned to oversee continental areas, below them dragons overseeing regions within the continents, proceeding all the way down eventually to the local levels. There would of course be exceptions, special units tasked to particular purposes outside the normal chain of command, but for the most part, dragons would exist in a straightforward hierarchical system.

Of course, merely laying out the bones of that system was not enough. Such a hierarchy could promote conflict within the ranks, competition was healthy and useful to a degree, but only so much. Priests competing to prove their loyalty by ensuring the areas under their command was at peak efficiency was good. Failing to promote subordinates who might threaten one's own position or sabotaging rivals by damaging the productivity of their regions on the other hand, such behavior needed to be strangled in the crib. It was here that the fanatical zeal of both the Reborn and his dragons was of particular use. When he announced this new hierarchy, Tyrannus would make sure that all knew that such behavior, anything that put the interests of an individual ahead of the interests of Tyrannus, was treason against God, a sin of such gravity as to be unthinkable for any affected by his soul shaping.

Once that was worked out, there was still the more mundane detail to fill out. How regions would be divided, how to determine who would be appointed to various positions initially, special positions, and the like. Tyrannus and Mantel used magic to make projections and test scenarios, working until Tyrannus was satisfied with the outcome. Existing cities and settlements were to be replaced with fortresses, production would be rationalized to allow as much of the population as possible to be reassigned to duties intended to serve Tyrannus without disrupting key supplies and infrastructure. Most would take up their new roles as Tyrannus' holy warriors, others would serve in the great labs complexes that would be built to suit Tyrannus' desires. It was all carefully planned to wring the maximum from the population and the planet's resources.

Two particular details were of personal note to Tyrannus. First, he and Mantel had determined the ideal location for a global capital. Already plans were being drawn up to construct a massive cathedral labratory fortress. It would house huge laboratories and accommodations for Tyrannus, facilities fit for God. In addition, it would be the center of Mantel's administration, with all of the infrastructure he needed to oversee the entire planet and its population. It would be a symbol of Tyrannus' dominance over the planet and nicely reinforce that on this world, Tyrannus was God. The second thing, was instructions to Mantel to begin preparations to assemble a team of dragon bodyguards for himself.

When all the information was prepared, Tyrannus wove mana through the air, he would beam the knowledge of this new hierarchy the new shape of this planet's society along with all of his injunctions and orders direction into the minds of its populace, Reborn and Dragon alike. It would be to them a moment of divine inspiration, God's voice from on-high filling their mind with their new truth.

@Valhawk: 4dF+3 = (++b-)+3 = 4 Spending 6+3 mana and True Power of the Ancients to raise it to 15. Success with Style. Gaining the Boost World in Flux.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

FP: 0 Stress: [][][] Mana: 1[][][] 2[][][] 3[][][] 4[][][] 5[][][] 6[][][] Mana Capacitors 10[][][][][][][][][] 15[][][][][][][] 20 [][][][]Bonus Aspects: Ice-Winged Familiar (1 Free invocation), Defensive Drone (2 invocations) Boosts: Stolen Momentum, I Have Everything Under Control Pure Mana: 288

It was the Marquise's firm belief that it was a noblewoman's duty to care for her subjects. She had already often found herself in the role of the voice of mercy, trying to steer her colleagues away from their worst excesses.
Now it was time to show them the advantages of serving under her banner. All over the planets iron, bronze and other metals flowed out of the ground in liquid form, before solidifying into enomous circular gates that dotted the every city; even the smallest villages had at least one, and as far as the water world went, they were placed all along the reliable migration routes of the locals, so that they might navigate the waters of their new neighbors with ease.

The Marquise was thoughtful enough to even place a plaque on each portal, detailing how to operate it.

Making some more mana capacitors: 5 for worth 10 mana, 4 worth 15 mana, and 2 worth 20 mana, for a total of 150 mana. I also add another row of standard mana rows, for 21 mana. Also placing tier 3 teleporters, extremely common and capable of moving whole armies, for 75 mana. Total mana spent for now: 246

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Action Resolution

The Delver builds himself a cage out of exotic materials, the lightning scarred branch of a thousand year old tree, the ashes of a million worshippers snuffed out in an instant, the leg bone of an immature dragon, dark matter, and blood, so much blood. The end result does not look like a cage to a mortal's eye, but to a Wizard it could beings of extraordinary power and wisdom.

Billions of souls suddenly had a revelation from their god, they could feel His presence as it explained his master plan, not in words, but in knowledge itself. They began to work, retasking construction equipment from other, lower priority jobs. The dragons flew with them, using their own construction magics and the brute force of their bodies to tackle the hardest jobs. Counter Aerth quickly becomes unrecognizable.

The Marquise decision to add teleporters was a welcome boon to industry on Aerth. It effectively destroyed the long range transportation monopoly that a few richest men on the world held. On Aqua, the water world, things progressed more slowly, the combination of new crops and new means of travel is slowly making the Aquans give up their nomadic ways and start settling down to practice better aquaculture.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Tyrannus
Created Aspects: | Fate Points: 3/3 |  Boosts:
Mana:

Tyrannus surveyed the changes to the planet and approved of what he saw. There was another question that lingered however. The addition of a significant number of dragons would no doubt be helpful to maintain the planet's mana generation, but having full fledged gods would be better. More than that, knowing how gods formed would be invaluable knowledge.

So it was that Tyrannus inquired with Mantel about the status of the formation of new gods on his planet.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Capture

The entity Harz'azz'azza'set appears through a rift in spacetime, the colors unknowable to man that spill forth would drive any who witnessed it insane, let alone the monster's cruel and impossible appearance. There is a silent duel of wills between the Delver and the Elder One, the magical runoff from the collision of these two powers is enough to set fire lancing through the room, setting ancient tapestries ablaze.

Eventually, the Delver proves victorious over the beholder of the seen and the unseen, and locks a cage of blood and bone about it, forcing it to exist, Exhausted by his efforts, he binds the creature and makes further preparations for its use. But not now, no even the Delver must rest.

Sightseeing

Tyrannus listens as Mantel recounted how he swept the deep oceans, the tall mountains, and even the lowlands for any sign of divine activity. He believes it is simply a matter of time, as new springs and vortexes of Mana have begun cropping up in out of the way locations, perfect for a godly presence to call its own.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Tyrannus
Created Aspects: | Fate Points: 3/3 |  Boosts: World in Flux
Mana:

Things were progressing well. Counter-Aerth was being reforged in his image, as it should be. There was still one thing missing though. These people were a copy of the magic-less world, they were ill equipped to be an effective army against more powerful opponents. Having dragons to assist would no doubt be helpful, but there were only so many dragons, he needed his regular grunts to be able to pull their weight in what were no doubt likely to be many battles ahead. So it was, that he turned his mind to new living weapons and armor for them to use. The basic design for the armor was simple enough, it would be based on the mimic he wore even now. Malleable and changeable, it would adapt to their surroundings and circumstances, able to shape itself and be shaped by the mind of its wielder.

Weapons were more difficult. The mimic-armor his troops wore would be able to provide claws and other melee range weapons via its shaping ability. However, for longer range the people currently relied on chemical explosives to shoot our projectiles. Easily stopped with shield spells. Tyrannus thought on this for a time, before deciding on a living organism that would be able to shoot globules of a intensely corrosive acid, acid strong enough to eat through metal, glass, and pretty much anything else it got on, and viscous enough to be a good projectile and to stick on whatever it hits.

Tyrannus took pains to make sure all of this equipment would be synced to the biology of the Reborn, making maintaining them fairly straightforward, and making them impossible for any outside to use.

When he was satisfied with the designs, he began to weave the great spell to bring enough into being to outfit the entire populace of his planet, at least all those who would be designated to a warrior role under his great hierarchy.

Providing Bio-Magic Weapons for the Reborn: 3dF+3+2 5. Spending 12 Pure Mana to raise that to 29, True Power of the Ancients raises that to 31. Then I'm tagging World in Flux to raise it to 33. Success with Style. Gaining the Boost: Bio-Boosted Army

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

FP: 0 Stress: [][][] Mana: 1[][][] 2[][][] 3[][][] 4[][][] 5[][][] 6[][][] Mana Capacitors 10[][][][][][][][][] 15[][][][][][][] 20 [][][][]Bonus Aspects: Ice-Winged Familiar (1 Free invocation), Defensive Drone (2 invocations) Boosts: Stolen Momentum, I Have Everything Under Control Pure Mana: 275

In the following weeks, the Marquise spent a lot of time observing the Planetarium. It was certainly some of her best work; but it had been built in a hurry, without much considerations for what its existance implied. Considering the relative ease of its creation, they couldn't possibly be the first wizards to attempt such a project, could they? Was the universe much fuller of planets once, and did they mostly exist in the laboratories of arcane gods now?

Even as she did that, she didn't stop working on her magitechnological studies. She had gained quite an edge thanks to her discovery of mana capacitors: who knows what else she might discover.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Study

One day while tinkering with the matter displacement array the Marquise discovers a variation on the conduits that provide solar energy to the captured planets. With only minor tweaking it was possible to direct these conduits to take energy as well as give it, transforming the pseudo-stars into mana batteries that could siphon off the excess Pure Mana created by the lifeforms of the planets. In a frenzy of spellwork she alters the star generation formula so that future planets would benefit as well from this method.

Later, while studying the technology of Aerth, she discovers that a vast majority of the workings on the planet rely on an electrical calculator called a 'computer'. These computers utilize their own form of logic and thought by cycling through on and off states based on their instructions. By adding magic to these computers, it is possible to make them perform calculations faster than the speed of electrons across their resistant material. Mana driven computers, when given the appropriate programming, are arguably self aware, allowing them to perform tasks otherwise impossible to complete without greater expenditure of mana.

The Planetarium is now self-gathering. The Marquise gains Self Aware Machinery as a stunt, computers may be added to any magical item to make it self directed at no additional cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Armament

The bioweapons spread through the Reborn fairly quickly. At first they were difficult to train with as the acid spray completely destroyed target stands, but the Reborn adapted and started to build training targets out of stronger materials. Soon enough the army was at full strength and nominal capability.

Arrival

The Tower arrived at its next destination, a planet called Azure. Similar to Aerth it was a majority water planet with several continental landmasses. While it showed no sign of Elder activity the environment showed clear signs of wizard tampering and magic contamination. Their culture and technology was roughly medieval, with each continent barely aware of the others existence.

The highest concentration of magical power and Mana was on the largest continent, where scans indicated a wizard's tower had been constructed.

• Locked thread