Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Tyrannus - The 8th Chamber
Created Aspects: Magically Attuned Eyes (1 free Invoke), Enhanced Eyesight (0 free Invokes), Armored Skin (1 free Invoke) Acid-Proof (1 free Invoke)
Fate Points: 3/3 | Boosts: - Agile Fleshling, Extra Adhesive, Shadow of the Omni-Wand | Consequences: - | Stress: 1[ ] 2[ ] 3[ ] | Mana: 1[ ] 2[ ] 3[ ]

The chlorine bothered Tyrannus not at all, he had crafted his flesh into sterner stuff. He looked upon that rooms treasure with indifference. Dead things held little interest to him. Better to let another have it in exchange for items more to his liking.

When the rest were ready, he would proceed onward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
The Delver
Location: Tomb of the Unknown Wizard- Corridor to 7th Chamber
Created Aspects: Lightless Lantern (0 Free Invokes), Flesh-Armor (2 Free Invokes)
LOOT: Mace of Disruption (2 Mana), 11 wands of various styles (11 Mana), 3 Golem Hearts (9 Mana)
Fate Points: 3/3 | Boosts: Prismatic Stone, Heartstopper Weave | Consequences: - | Stress: [] [] [] | Mana: [x] [] [] []

Cackling softly to himself, his voice ever so slightly muffled due to the gasmask he was wearing, The Delver started to speak once again. "A platoon of the dead, ahahaa... yes, if you could call them that. Such a ludicrous lie, 'death', is it not ahahaa... Nevertheless, of lesser interest to me personally. But one ought to not disregard the simple power of bodies, no no, they can be of use should one wish it."

The Delver took the Omni-Wand as he continued, "Nevertheless, our journey continues. The tenth chamber is next on our line of questing, for indeed the ninth is fraught with nothing but fruitless danger, yes. Thus shall we use the main corridor to the next chamber. Wait as I gaze upon it."

Overcome with Void, using Omni-Rod to scry the corridor to the 10th chamber. Difficulty 2.
4dF+4: 2
Ticking my 1 Mana box for a +1, thus making this roll a 3 and a Success

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS
Orono - 3rd Chamber - Void Tomb
FP: 3 Stress: ^ ^ ^ Mana: * _ *

The swords rip out of their sheaths with a metallic rasp, and jump up to whirl around him. He listens to their sound with pleasure. For one instant, he is again that young man fresh in the militia, heart full of concern for his fellows. Then the instant is gone, and his detachment grows with the susurrus of the dancing blades. His centerdness remains. The leading party had gained distance on him, but he wouldn't follow in their dust. He would strike out on his own.

"Anyone care to follow me to last chamber before the finale?"

His eyes burn with blue fire, and again he purses his lips and imitates a whistle. Redolent with his power, it shimmered with mana to resonant with the primal force of magic. A dim glow appears around him, adding a blue luster his black stone and casting shadows into the lines of his body. He has no fear of mundane traps, and trusts his whistle to resonate with magical ones. He has his weapons. He has his whistle. He has his focus like a still pool. He feels mana burning heady through him like he was a wick in an oil lamp. He's ready. He steps into the hallway, towards to the 13th room.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Orono casts Detect Magical Traps
Detect Magical Traps: 4dF -1
Roll: -1 Primal: +2 Mana +2

Orono heads to chamber 13

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Even More Traps

There is only one trap in Orono's path. It is well hidden, broken down into several triggers each one seemingly harmless on its own to fool trap detecting spells. The actual spellcraft of the trap is likewise divided into several enchantments to make it harder to resist.

First, the spell coats the target in a thick layer of ice nearly instantly, encasing them in a block of glacial cold. Secondly the ice gets even colder causing the body within to freeze completely no matter its composition. Finally, dark sorceries target the soul of the entrapped and tear it loose.

On any normal mortal, or even most immortals, this would be overkill. For Orono this is a major, perhaps even life threatening, inconvenience as his soul has now been separated from his phylactery. As a modern lich he will survive for a time separated from his body, but he needs to either enter a backup container for his soul or break his body free from the ice soon before his vital energies dissipate and his consciousness discovers what the afterlife is like.

Meanwhile, the path to the Tenth Chamber is guarded by hungry specters! Dark shades given life by magic, they feast on the flesh of the living and can only be driven away by potent battle magics or the prayers of holy men.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
The Delver
Location: Tomb of the Unknown Wizard- Corridor to 10th Chamber
Created Aspects: Lightless Lantern (0 Free Invokes), Flesh-Armor (2 Free Invokes)
LOOT: Mace of Disruption (2 Mana), 11 wands of various styles (11 Mana), 3 Golem Hearts (9 Mana)
Fate Points: 3/3 | Boosts: Heartstopper Weave | Consequences: - | Stress: [] [] [] | Mana: [x] [x] [] []

"Raving specters, yes, lesser ethereal minions, irrelevant, irrelevant ahahhaa..." The Delver giggled softly to himself as he turned to Tyrannus, "A simple thing to deal with for someone like me, who has glimpsed the primordial secrets of the soul, yes. A trivial adversary, allow me to eradicate them."

And so, The Delver approached the specters, a dozen or so in number, and nonchalantly threw the Prismatic Stone in their midst, the object exploding in the colors of the rainbow the moment it hit the floor. Not enough to dissipate any of the specters, sure, but their forms were destabilized, for the moment. Thankfully, it was the only moment he needed. The Delver pointed the Omni-Wand at the ethereal creatures, and invoked the fell syllables of his battle arsenal.

M̵͕̟̝̝͎̽ͥ̓͗ͩ̉ã̸̢̡̝͈͇͚͆ͫ́̃͛r̡̡̉ͣ̾͏̫̦'̜̑̏̿n̙̫͖̮̺̾ͣ̂̊͛͆̕͡a̡̹̜̻̥͍͇ͫ̐̈́̓ͥ̔ͮ͐g̬̼̗̞̣͎̩̖̰̓̊͟͝'͆̈̇̌̑ͫͬ҉̯̩̥͙͚c̒ͤ̔͗ͤ̂҉̹̘̞́̕ḩ͖͍̼͍̯̰͍̻̻́͌͆͆̈́ͪͪ̀t̯̠̩̬̰̰̻́̏̈́ͯ-̯̱̼͚̖̎ͥ̐ͯ͡ͅc̸̰̻͕̬͍͕̻̍̓ͬ̑͑ͭ͛͘͡ͅt̵͖̱̻͙͙̱̏̊̐̌̒̅͞h̼͚̫̯̬̻̔̍ͣ̅́̚u͋̂ͨ͑͢͏̬͉̱͖͉̙̙-̷̖̤̦̮͂͊͘͢ť̢̮̞͕̗͚̣͙̿̋̿͑͊h̪̗̟͆̆̍̎ͪ̾̎̉̀̚ï̟͙̦̰̟̲̳̆ͬͬḙ̵̷̠̝̗̥̖̗̎͊̆ͬͮ̑̀ͅr̨̫͊̄͐̍̀'̖̲̲͇̓͆̇̈́a̫̲͆ͨͮ͗̈͘͜a̲̰͍͑̑̃ͅl͖̘̉ͬ͑̈͐̌̄̈̚͡a̬͔̤̼̓͊͂ͬ͋l̪̯̬̹̮̊̄͛̿ͤ̚ạ̶̮̠ͪͨͨl̯͖͍̙̖̗͕̇̌̌̌̿͂͛͘'̘̪̻̪͉̪̓̾ͮ̽t̩̯̥̰̘ͦ̌͡ͅh̛͛̎ͯͫ̐̑ͧ҉̳̟̤͈ũ̡̩̳̘͈̰͚̗͊ͤ͐̾̚̕o̶̟̫̟͕̾ͥ̂͆̒͐t̹̭̝̠̖̮̐̈͢͞ḩ̹͓̮̿̐ͩ͡ǫ̲̦͎̃̉̕t̖͎̩̟͇ͤ̎͟

The disrupted specters did not even have the time to scream, as invisible eldritch flame burrowed into their very souls, dissipating their ethereal forms to absolute oblivion, until they finally winked out of being with nary but a fleeting whisper in the back of your head.

In the end, nothing remained. Nothing except The Delver's deranged laughter.

Attacking with Primal, ticking Mana Box 2, Using Omni-Wand, +2 from my stunt
4dF+7: 6
Specter Mob Defense
4dF+2: 1
Invoking my Prismatic Stone for a +2, dealing 7 shifts of damage, which isntakills the specters since they had only 6 Stress Boxes

Theantero fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jun 17, 2017

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Tyrannus - The 8th Chamber
Created Aspects: Magically Attuned Eyes (1 free Invoke), Enhanced Eyesight (0 free Invokes), Armored Skin (1 free Invoke) Acid-Proof (1 free Invoke)
Fate Points: 3/3 | Boosts: - Agile Fleshling, Extra Adhesive, Shadow of the Omni-Wand (2) | Consequences: - | Stress: 1[ ] 2[ ] 3[ ] | Mana: 1[ ] 2[ ] 3[ ]

Taking the Omni-Wand back from the Delver, Tyrannus turns and places a hand on the fleshling's head. Channeling his power through the wand he enhances the fleshling's intelligence, so that if necessary it might serve as a receptacle for Orono's soul. After all who knew what the lich had gotten himself into, better safe than sorry.

Upgrading the fleshling's brain. (Intelligence Overcome) (Diff 2): 4dF+2+2 5 Success with style. Boost Mutatable Fleshling

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

Orono - 13th hallway - Almost Overkill Trap - Void Tomb
FP: 3 Stress: n/a Mana: * _ *

poo poo He thought as he was run through with a cold so deep it could only be possible through the studied application of magic. His sight dimmed until all he could see was blackness broken by the blinking red insignia describing failure of systems throughout his phylactery. Just like that, it disappeared as well, and his phylactery held him no more.

So now, he floated free. A mutli-winged, multi-armed, multi-mouthed seraph of undiluted mana, ethereal and beatific. And vulnerable. He could still go ahead to the room, but his essence would be open to the final dissolution. He spreads his awareness in the ice encasing his phylactery. The cold, cold, cold...there!. His wand. It should be able to blast his body free. He pools his essence around the hilt, and triggers it to fire.

---------------------------------------

Orono tries using his 'Wand: 3 lightning' to blast his frozen phylactery out, and turning the ice to a fine snow
Blast phylactery out of Ice: 4dF -2
Roll: -2

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Explosion!

Orono's spiritual form, unable to aim the wand, activates it and hopes for the best. There is an explosion of lightning and snowfall as a chunk of ice is blasted free and instantly transmuted to snow. Unfortunately, it took a large portion of Orono's nominal physical body with it, namely the entire left arm has been sheared free and falls to the floor with a flumph as it displaces the fresh fallen snow. The rest of the ice cracks under strain and could possibly be broken from within.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

The Delver
Created Aspects: Lightless Lantern (0 Free Invokes), Flesh-Armor (2 Free Invokes), Scried 10th Chamber door trap (2 Free Invokes)
Fate Points: 3/3 | Boosts: Heartstopper Weave | Consequences: - | Stress: [] [] [] | Mana: [x] [x] [] []

With a by-now practiced set of movements, The Delver retrieved the Omni-Wand from Tyrannus, and set about to break the protections around the door to scry the traps it held.

The secrets of this dungeon would open before him, as they had thus far.

Primal Overcome to dispell trap scry-shields on the 10th chamber door, using Omni-Wand. Difficulty 3
4dF+5: 5
The roll is a Success
Creating Advantage with Void to scry the trap on the 10th chamber door, using Omni-Wand. Difficulty 2
4dF+4: 7
The roll is a Success with Style, thus I create the Aspect: Scried 10th chamber door trap with 2 Free Invokes.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

A New Trap

The Tenth Chamber door is, in a way, itself a trap. The door is not what it seems, concealing a deadly secret. In reality the door is a fake, a deadly shapeshifter known as a mimic. No entrance to the chamber lies beyond, instead only death awaits one who touches that door.

Where the real entrance is hidden is unknown, but it must be nearby...

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Tyrannus - Corridor to the 10th Chamber
Fate Points: 3/3 | Boosts: - Agile Fleshling, Extra Adhesive, Shadow of the Omni-Wand (2), Mutable Fleshling | Consequences: - | Stress: 1[ ] 2[ ] 3[ ] 4[ ] | Mana: 1[ ] 2[X] 3[ ]

"The beast is mine." Tyrannus announces to the rest of the group. He strides forward, taking the Omni-Wand back from the Delver, Tyrannus approaches the Mimic. He reaches out with a hand, aiming to touch the beast and in doing so break it to his will. As his free hand makes contact with the surface of the apparent, Tyrannus uneases his magic. Power arcs through the mimic, and all can feel a terrible psychic echo of Tyrannus' voice uttering the words "MINE!" His spell flows through the mimic, permanently binding it to his will, leaving it an eager and obedient thrall. It was but the first of many who would bow before the Fleshshaper.

Enthralling the Mimic (Intelligence Overcome) (Difficulty 4): 4dF+2+2 5 Spending my 2 mana box for +2, bringing the total to +7, Success with Style, gaining boost Obedient Mimic

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

The Delver
Created Aspects: Lightless Lantern (1 Free Invokes), Flesh-Armor (2 Free Invokes), Scried 10th Chamber door trap (2 Free Invokes)
Fate Points: 3/3 | Boosts: Heartstopper Weave | Consequences: - | Stress: [] [] [] | Mana: [x] [x] [x] []

The Delver gazed on with interest as Tyrannus bent the Mimic to his will, preparing the Lightless Lantern for usage meanwhile, retrieving a wick and the necessary reagents meanwhile. Sure, without the protections of the Grand Malebolge, the process was significantly harder as well as prone to consuming essences in a conflagration of soulflame should even the tiniest detail go wrong, but still. It was a calculated risk.

Cackling ever so slightly, The Delver retrieved the Omni-Wand from Tyrannus after he was done with his work, and set on his own.

Not long after, the sigils started glowing, and the wick blackening. The Delver smiled under his impenetrable hood, and lit the walls and floors and every single spot he could see with the eldritch energies, set on following the path thus revealed...

Primally Creating Advantage by juicing up my Lightless Lantern, using Omni-Wand. Difficulty 5
4dF+5: 4
I tick my 3rd Mana box for a +3, and gain additional +2 due to my stunt, thus making this roll a 9 and a Success with Style, earning me 2 Free Invokes on it

I use one Invoke on my Lightless Lantern to reveal the secret entryway.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Scan

The Delver plays the Lantern's eldritch flame over the walls, ceilings, and floor of the nearby hallway until one segment of the floor close to the now unshaped Mimic begins to glow gently. An illusion spell is washed away in fire to reveal a door and handle set into the floor tiles.

Eager to serve, the mimic wrenches the floor open with a heave upon the circular handle to reveal a ladder leading downward.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

The Delver
Created Aspects: Lightless Lantern (1 Free Invokes), Flesh-Armor (2 Free Invokes)
Fate Points: 3/3 | Boosts: Heartstopper Weave, Scryflow | Consequences: - | Stress: [] [] [] | Mana: [x] [x] [x] []

Nodding in satisfaction as the secret passage was revealed, The Delver pointed the Omni-Wand at it, and scried the passage underneath with incantations by now burned into his memory.

Overcome with Void, using Omni-Rod to scry the hidden passage near the 10th chamber. Difficulty 2.
4dF+4: 5
The roll is a Success with Style, gaining me the Boost: Scryflow

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

Orono - 3rd Chamber - Void Tomb
FP: ! ! _ Stress: n/a Mana: * _ *

Orono blinks and roils in agitation at the damage he's done to his phylactery, but necessity turns his vital energies away from anger and towards survival. All that can matter is what has to happen next. He extends his spirit throughout the ice, looking for changes in his body's prison.

...cracks....

...stress....

...strain....

His adversary is damaged. Another blast would shatter it.

...uncertainty....

His body could likewise be destroyed. Brittle with cold, and already splintering.

...cold....

...the cold. It allowed alignment of the field poles in natural samples of his body's material, creating manipulable Force Fields. His form had precautions woven into it to prevent that, but also to align on command. If he activated those enchantments, it could give him enough of a boost to fully shatter the ice. He'd never done it under these conditions, though. He wasn't exactly sure what would happen.

The seraph spins and spins and spins, focusing it's intent. This was it. He felt it as he re-entered his body. As if the universe stopped to look at him, a silent audience as he was judged in contest.

...Fate....

--------------------------------
Orono spends a Fate point to use his body's Stunt: Activate Stone, to combine his matter and force scores
Orono tries to free himself completely
Free body from damaged ice: 4dF 0

Roll: +0 Force: +3 Matter: +2

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Ice

With a crash the ice shatters and falls away from Orono's phylactery, freeing it from its glacial prison. The statuesque body of stone is mostly unharmed from its ordeal, and Orono has learned, first hand, how this trap works, making it easy for him to disable it.

Scrying

The Delver's arcane senses stretch down the corridor searching for traps and unexpected surprises. He finds only a simple passageway which leads to the real chamber door, thankfully also free of traps.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Fate Points: 3/3 | Boosts: - Agile Fleshling, Extra Adhesive, Shadow of the Omni-Wand (2), Mutable Fleshling, Obedient Mimic | Consequences: - | Stress: 1[ ] 2[ ] 3[ ] 4[ ] | Mana: 1[ ] 2[X] 3[X]

Tyrannus smiles as the mimic returns to it's blob-like natural form. He had many uses in mind for it, but all would be improved if the creature had more intelligence so it might better anticipate his needs. So, after taking the Omni-Wand back from the Delver, Tyrannus placed a hand on his mimic. Focusing his mind and drawing from his well of energy he set to work weaving the spells. The intelligence was easy enough. He had done similar things before. No what was more difficult was wedding that intelligence to the sort of absolute loyalty he required.

Layering the various spells, Tyrannus wove fanatical and unwavering devotion into every fibre of the creatures spirit. When he was done, it would have human-level intelligence and worship the ground he walked on, treating him like a god.

Once the spell had been cast, the Fleshshaper issued a mental order for the mimic to engulf him and form itself into a set of living armor. He would leave the aesthetics up to the creature, an interesting test of its conditioning.

Conditioning the Mimic (Intelligence Overcome) (Difficulty 5): 4dF+2+2 5 Spending my 3 mana box to raise it to 8 Success with Style gaining the boost Fanatical Mimic Armor.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

The Delver
Created Aspects: Lightless Lantern (1 Free Invokes), Flesh-Armor (2 Free Invokes)
Fate Points: 3/3 | Boosts: Heartstopper Weave, Scryflow | Consequences: - | Stress: [] [] [] | Mana: [x] [x] [x] []

"And thus does the truth reveal itself", The Delver muttered as he climbed down the trapdoor to enter the chamber at the other end, "And ever deeper does our quest take us, in search of ever deeper secrets, yes..."

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

Orono 13th Chamber Entrance - Void Tomb
FP: ! ! _ Stress: ^ ^ ^ Mana: * _ *
Items: Weapon_3 Lightning Wand (1mp) , +1 Swords (1mp) , Staff of Blade Dance (+1 Command Swords)
Consequences: Splintery Right Stub

He hunched forward, pushing through what was left of the ice as shards avalanche around his body. He stumbles, and catches himself on the wall with his good left arm. He stoops to pick up his arm, and gives a roar of triumph.

A thin layer of ice starts to encrust onto his body from the air due to the residual cold, turning his black color white and surrounding him with swirling vapor. His roar slowly changes to a wild laugh as the primal thoughts of his unbound spirit began to once again flow through channels approximating a conventional mind.

Enormous power exercised with exquisite care to kill me, and I walked through it, alive!

Still chuckling, he shakes his erstwhile arm with a simple following spell, and digs through the ice shards for his wand and staff. The wand, he tucks away as safely as he can. He thumps the staff to call up his swords, and strides to the door.

He didn't expect anyone to live through that, he thought as he confidently entered the room, eager to see what was so well guarded, confident that his sacrifices were worth it.

-------------------------------------------------
Orono pulls himself together
Orono enters the 13th chamber

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Tenth Chamber

The Tenth Chamber is home to the wizard's own experiments in twisted lifeforms. Glass tubes of large size filled with preserving fluid mark the many experiments and failures in creating a being that is part Mana, part flesh, and part golem. Dozens of twisted failures line the walls in the vast chamber, along with shelves filled with tome after tome on life magics.

The closest thing to a success rests in the center of the chamber, held in stasis by powerful spells. According to the materials scattered around it nearby, the monster, which resembles some kind of half steel half demon creature, has concentrated Mana for blood. Unfortunately, the wizard was unable to alter the creature in such a way that it could produce its own Mana-laden blood, so to harvest even the slightest amount will kill it. Apparently he abandoned this line of research shortly thereafter.

The creature is worth 18 mana, if you wish to kill it and drain its blood. It cannot be moved without awakening it.

Thirteenth Chamber

The Thirteenth Chamber at first appears empty... however upon closer examination the entire chamber is coated in a thin layer of concentrated Mana of great power. A spoonful could build a new wand, a cup could send the Tower between stars, a bowlful could conquer a kingdom, and the entire room could devastate a continent.

This room contains 36 mana.

I would be remiss in not bringing up something I've mentioned several times in Discord, in that the maximum number of Mana boxes you may have is 6 in a row. Once you've reached 6 you start a new Row of boxes at 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. This keeps you from throwing more than a +6 bonus at a roll and gives you the option of having multiple lower bonuses as you progress.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

The Delver

The Delver cast an appraising eye at the abandoned monstrosities, even if he seemed to discount most of them as trivial findings. Only the tomes and the amalgamous demon creature were seemingly of any interest to him. Nevertheless, he was soon again at work to divine the way forward. They could hold parley on what to do with the treasures later on, after all of it had been collected.

Overcome with Void, using Omni-Wand to scry the corridor to the 12th chamber. Difficulty 2.
4dF+4: 3
The roll is a Success

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Fate Points: 3/3 | Boosts: - Agile Fleshling, Extra Adhesive, Shadow of the Omni-Wand (2 1), Mutable Fleshling, Obedient Mimic, Fanatical Mimic Armor | Consequences: - | Stress: 1[ ] 2[ ] 3[ ] 4[ ] | Mana: 1[ ] 2[X] 3[X]

Resplendent in his new intelligent living armor, Tyrannus carefully examined the many experiments. It had been a shame that the tomb's occupant had been so poor in his experiments. Still, Tyrannus supposed he was being unfair. Not everyone possessed his own genius or vision in the art of fleshshaping.

Every specimen was related to this single experiment, and not terribly developed except for that one aspect. Still, there might be insight to be gleaned. So, once the Delver finished his scrying, Tyrannus turned the Omni-Wand to examining the various creatures, feeling some of its resonance that lingered in his flesh fade to sharpen his magical examinations of the creatures. He would learn whatever there is to learn, and maybe something about the man who made the besides. After all, it was said the best way to know an artist was through his work.

Examining the monsters for lessons on monster-making. (Difficulty 2): 4dF+0+2 2 Spending one of my Shadow of the Omni-Wand boosts for +2 to bring it to 4. Success

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Marquise Adeleine de la Neraille - Tenth Chamber
FP: 3 Stress: [][][] Mana: [][X] Bonus Aspects: Ice-Winged Familiar (1 Free invocation)

Without offering much comment, Adeleine had followed the Delver and Tyrannus in the Tenth Chamber, and had observed the bizarre creations of the ancient wizard with a certain detached interested. Upon realizing what the giant chimeric creature was, she decided that the best thing to do would be to transport this chimera in the tower, where it could be studied, experimented upon or bled with ease, depending on what the coucil decided would be the best way.

She whispered to Tyrannus to lend her the staff for a while, and having taken hold of it, she gestured for the two mages to be silent, both to avoid disrupting her concentration and to avoid waking up the beast.

Levitating such a colossus required quite a lot of telekinetic power; doing so without interrupting the stasis spell cast upon it required even greater finesse. She needed enough force to detach it from its position, but not so much that it would disturb the delicate arcane framework layered on top of the sleeping form of the giant. Guiding the magic with gentle taps of her hands, she finally detached her prize from the wall and lifted it in the air.

It was a laborious process, keeping the creature floating all the way to the tower so it could be safely locked in the Malebolge, and Adeleine was quite sweaty once it was all done, but she was sure it was going to be worth it.

quote:

My first roll to accomplish this, using Force/Primal:http://orokos.com/roll/527292 (Forgot to include the staff on this one, but it sucked so who cares)
Rerolling using a Fate point and the aspect A Light And Precise Touch: http://orokos.com/roll/527293
I use my 2 mana box to beat the difficulty of +3.

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

Orono 13th Chamber - Void Tomb
FP: ! ! _ Stress: ^ ^ ^ Mana: * * * * * * / * * * * *

He's struck dumb. His staff thuds to the floor, and his swords and arm soon follow it with their associated sounds. He staggers into the room, and falls arm first into layer of mana that cracks with the impact. With the crack, the room glows an eerie blue and the deep hunger at his core of cores grows large with the possibility of being quenched. The hunger feels bigger than he is, as if he had the whole Void in his body. Half-formed thoughts leave him as mana begins to flow into him, and the ecstasy drowns out everything else. His main body collapses and the seraph opens out of it, like a flower blooming, growing in brightness and strength. In the corner, his disembodied arm thrashes, disembodied.

Time passes, and as the glow of the seraph increases, the glow of the room decreases until almost all the once inanimate mana danced and twirled in Orono's pattern. Only the flower remained, slowly retreating back into the phylactery. As the light dims and dies, the disembodied arm walks on its fingers to the splintered stub, and reattaches itself. Orono lies still. After so many years of scraping like a vulture for mana, such a large meal left him pleasantly immobile. He rests.

------------------------------------------------------------
Orono absorbs 32 mana, leaving 4 which won't make a whole box
He rests
I Think I did the math right

Pyre of Word Salsa
Apr 25, 2017

I pray for a color palette that will not come.
Jacob Her'lson
13th Chamber
FP: 3 | Stress: OOO | Boosts: | Consequences: Mana Asthma (Moderate) | Mana: OOO

His body seized up. He couldn't move - couldn't breathe. The mana in this room was too much for his suit to repel. Throughout the tomb, numbness had slowly crept up Jacob's body, making it harder and harder for him to move along with the rest of the party. He had pressed onwards, assured that the end would be in sight. It had to be in sight. And yet, there wasn't a scrap of information to be found in the tombs pertaining to his condition.

His vision blurred. The numbness creeped over the remainder of his face complete. His throat constricted and he couldn't breathe. Dizziness intruded his head in a fog.

He reached a hand outwards and croaked.

Compelling Mana Overload to make Jacob keel over and relevant to the plot again. Gonna take a moderate consequence of Mana Asthma. Glad to be back.

Pyre of Word Salsa fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jun 21, 2017

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Path to the 12th

The path to the Twelfth Chamber is lined with traps, ceiling traps, floor traps, wall traps, traps triggered by motion, traps triggered by magic use (several of these go off from being scryed), even traps triggered by other traps. Fire, ice, electricity, pits, a rolling boulder, crushing walls, crushing ceilings, death curses, maiming curses, even bad luck curses intended to make subsequent traps worse!

After careful examination there's no safe path on foot or by levitation through the corridor. Either each trap must be dealt with one by one, taking days, or other means must be found to reach the Twelfth.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

The Delver

"A death by thousand needles yes, our illustrious host has placed a thousand different traps in the corridor. Trivial by themselves, but together a nuisance, yes..." The Delver turned towards Tyrannus, ignoring the Marquise for now as he didn't see much point in interrupting her delicate work, "And then the door besides. But why go to such effort ask I? Why not use the work of the stone-lich to our advantage? He will have removed the traps to the final chamber by now, lest he have perished, so why not utilize this work, and go through the unintended routes once more?"

As he spoke The Delver waved around the Omni-Wand, and affixed his gaze to the route he referred to.

Overcoming with Void to scry the secret passage between chambers 12 and 13, using the Omni-Wand. Difficulty 2
4dF+4: 4
The roll is a Success

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Secret Passage

The way is clear, too clear. Some time in the past an asteroid collided with the passageway and blasted a hole in the ceiling. This cleared out the rubble and toxic gas build up but exchanged it for the hard vacuum of the void. Without the proper protective enchantments, the way will be impassible.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Fate Points: 3/3 | Boosts: - Agile Fleshling, Extra Adhesive, Shadow of the Omni-Wand (2 1), Mutable Fleshling, Obedient Mimic, Fanatical Mimic Armor | Consequences: - | Stress: 1[ ] 2[ ] 3[ ] 4[ ] | Mana: 1[ ] 2[X] 3[X]

Hard vacuum, clearly space had many varied dangers. Still they also offered new opportunities for his craft. Taking the Omni-Wand back from the Delver, Tyrannus let his magical power flare, sinking into the mimic that now was serving as a living set of armor. It's morphic flesh would gain new resistance to vacuum and the ability to protect its masters from the ravages of the void, providing the air supply and radiation shielding needed for Tyrannus to survive outer space. The mimic's flesh insulated for a moment at the infusion of new power before adjusting it's form and eager to be of use to the fleshshaper it now worshipped.

Space-priofing the mimic armor (Matter Create Advantage) (Difficulty 4): 4dF+3+2+2 7 Success with Style gaining 2 free invokes on the advantage Space-Proof Mimic.

Looking at the others, he adds, "I suppose I should make provision for you as well." With a waive of the Omni-Wand, the passage was made safe for travel.

Making an air bubble (Energy Overcome) (Difficulty 2): 4dF+1+2 3 Success

Valhawk fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jun 21, 2017

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

Orono 13th Chamber - Void Tomb
Items: Wand of Lighting (E3, 1mp) , +1 Blades (1mp) , Staff of Blade Dance (+1 Manipulate Blades) , Gold Amphora (4mp)
FP: ! ! _ Stress: ^ ^ ^ Mana: * * * * * * / * * * * *

Orono sits up, and looks around at clean and roughed walls. There's a puddle of gold on the ground. He examines his feet. The gold had dripped off, replaced by perfect black stone. He stretches and flexes, and picks up the gold, molding it into jar for the remaining mana. He felt...different. As if the long, extending shadow the glowing mana casts with his body down the open door into the hallway were him, and the stone was just a tiny piece that helped him exist. He walks, and he can hear his steps echo in the space between his body and his being.

He's nursing such musings when his attention is snagged by changing air pressure and a shimmer of magic. Somebody made a bubble near him! He investigates, and finds a passage cunningly cut into the rock. The resulting hallway had since been exposed to the void, but the magic bubble kept the now open mana room from venting. He takes a step down the hallway.

This is the work of my colleagues, he thinks, and hesitates before his next step. He might have to retreat this way in a hurry, and the last thing he wants is to re-stumble into that god-awful trap.

He turns around, and returns through the mana room until he stands again among the shattered ice. He raises his arms out, and brings his hands together with mighty force, producing a loud CLAP. He focuses on the clap, surrounding himself by the sound as it echoed in his inner vastness. He gathers his intent, and his awareness returns to the world, along with a heavy wave from his hands.

He turns his back, and continues on his way to the twelfth room, acutely aware that he walks through a hallway that also once lead to the mana-room.

----------------------------------------------------
Orono goes to the 12th Chamber

A_Bug_That_Thinks fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jun 22, 2017

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

The Delver
Location: Tomb of the Unknown Wizard- Corridor to 13th Chamber
Fate Points: 3/3 | Boosts: Heartstopper Weave, Scryflow, Manawick | Consequences: - | Stress: [] [] [] | Mana: [x] [x] [x] []

The Delver paid no particular attention to Orono, or even Tyrannus weaving his magics on the hidden corridor, besides retrieving the Omni-Wand when the monstrous man was done. No, he was more concerned with the passed out, suited man lying face down on the floor. The Delver leaned over him, squatting on his haunches, and turned the sickly man over.

"You are a sickly one are you not, masked man, ahaha, yes", he murmured to himself, "This true that the secrets of Mana can be much to handle for the lesser of constitution, so feel not too bad, no, no reason for such, none at all. In fact, many would call it wise or so do I reckon ahaha"

Rattles and chafes could be heard as The Delver searched his pockets and pouches and retrieved a strip of cured... skin? He continued his speech all the while drawing the likeness of an eye surrounded by writing in some forgotten language on the strip with a piece of runic charcoal.

"Indeed, indeed, the glare of the Mana and the aether and the malevolent weave of reality is harsh indeed, and peering into the eyes of reality is not for everyone. Perhaps you're the sort who'd rather look away? Yes, yes, but in a place like this you cannot flee their gaze anywhere but the embrace of death, is that right?"

"AhahahahahahHAHAHHAHAHAH"

"Death cannot save you, foolish man."

"But I can, yes, The Delver has his means to shield you from the malevolent gaze of reality, from the burning leer of Mana upon your soul, yes..."

As if responding to some unsaid command, The Delver's fingertip released yet another drop of blood, that the man then used to draw a pentagram around the eye, which he the then thrice crossed over. The charm was then placed on the upper parts of Jacob's shining helm, at about where his forehead would be. Those sensitive to such forces could immediately feel the ambient Mana bend over and across Jacob, whilst the excess that had already accumulated in him quickly escaped (which The Delver was quick to absorb in a little wick treated with aromatic oils of secret formulation).

"Open your eyes, masked man. You have been hidden."

Primal Overcome to slap a Mana-protection charm on Jacob to stop him from wheezing to death on the floor, using the Omni-Wand. Difficulty 3
4dF+5: 7
The roll is a Success with Style, I gain the boost: Manawick

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Once his focus was again on the rest of the world and not on the task at hand, Tyrannus noticed Jacob's plight. By this point the Delver was already moving to intervene, and so the fleshshaper stood back. Still, it was an interesting occurrence, a mage with a negative reaction to mana, the concept fainted Tyrannus. So once the Delver was finished, Tyrannus strode over to Jacob, his already alien voice further distorted by the living space suit he now wore, "Once we are done with this tomb, come to my chambers and we can discuss ways to... 'cure' your condition."

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Chamber 12

The Twelfth Chamber is dedicated to the study of magitechnology. Machines sparking and humming with feeds of pure and filtered Mana leading into and out of a central battery in the middle of the chamber. Most of the machines don't appear to do anything in particular, although one generates oxygen and another provides heat, so perhaps they provide life support for part of the tomb.

In any case, the battery contains a usable amount of pure Mana, but draining it will shut down the machines and stop them from completing their unknowable purposes.

There is 12 Mana in the battery, there is also an alcove to recharge, although you'll have to share it with a machine that goes 'buzz' constantly.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Tyrannus - 12th Chamber

This chamber held little of interest to Tyrannus, the life support system appeared more primitive than their own, at least in terms of the theoretical principles in play, and the click clack of metal things rarely interested him.

Still, it would be wise to not devour it's power until they were finished with the tomb. So, he said as much, "As only two of our number are prepared to survive the ravages of space, we should probably refrain from taking any action that wo8ld lead to the deactivation of these machines until we are finished with the tomb conpletely."

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

The Delver
Fate Points: 3/3 | Boosts: Heartstopper Weave, Scryflow, Manawick, Eldritch Gaze | Consequences: - | Stress: [] [] [] | Mana: [x] [x] [x] []

"Yes, there is prudence in what you say, fleshweaver, yet we shall not have to wait long, for but a single chamber with the glow of treasure yet remains. Let me illuminate the way..."

And once again, The Delver's eyes turned to the void, the glow of his eye-dots gaining a flamelike appearance as his repeated glimpses through time and space and the eyes of the outsiders left its mark into his very irises.

Overcoming with Void to scry the secret passage between chambers 1 and 2, using the Omni-Wand. Difficulty 2
4dF+4: 5
The roll is a Success with Style, I gain the boost: Eldritch Gaze

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Secret Tunnel?

Unfortunately, the tunnel between the First and Second Chambers is currently impassible. The walls collapsed into themselves and buried the path in rubble. The air is stale and filled with dust, the stone is harsh and heavy and loosely piled to the ceiling. Any attempts to move it could cause another collapse, which would have dangerous consequences.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

The Delver
Fate Points: 3/3 | Boosts: Heartstopper Weave, Manawick, Eldritch Gaze | Consequences: - | Stress: [] [] [] | Mana: [x] [x] [x] []

Without so much as a word, The Delver fixated his gaze on the other secret tunnel leading to the second chamber, in a process that had become very familiar to him indeed. The veil parted before him with no issue.

Overcoming with Void to scry the secret passage between chambers 3 and 2, using the Omni-Wand. Difficulty 2
4dF+4: 2
I burn my Boost: Scryflow for a +2, making this roll a 4 and thus a Success

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Secret Tunnel

The passageway between the Second and Third Chambers is unstable, but clear. It rumbles periodically as some unknown force vibrates through the tomb, causing the wall supports to wobble disconcertingly against the bare stone. It should be passable, but walking or rapid movements would not be recommended.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Tyrannus - 12th Chamber

Tyrannus looked at the crumbling passageway. With the Omni-Wand in his hands tasks such as reinforcing the passage to allow safe travel were child's play. With a wave of the wand, his power went rushing through the halls, strengthening them enough to allow safe passage.

Stabilizing the Passage (Matter Overcome) (Difficulty 3): 4dF+3+2 5 Success

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Second Chamber

The source of the rumble is immediately obvious once the Second Chamber is entered. In the center of the room is a floating obelisk sending out wave after wave of Force, rattling the bookshelves on the walls. The pulses are strong enough to knock a wizard off their feet, so no exploration of the titles lining the chamber will be possible without either deactivating the obelisk or taking appropriate countermeasures.

It's a DC 2 Force check to stabilize against the waves, and the obelisk itself is worth 3 Mana. The books are related to Force spells but of course would require further study.

• Locked thread