Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Tyrannus - Scrying Room
Fate Points: 3/3 | Boosts: - | Consequences: - | Stress: [ ] [ ] [ ] | Mana: [ ] [ ] [ ]

Tyrannus stands his back to one of the scrying chamber's great windows, his different sets of eyes each tuned to a different portion of the spectrum looking over his erstwhile allies. It had been an interesting few days, and he was still assessing them. This tomb might be an interesting chance to see just what they were really about.

He speaks up, his voice deep and with a strange alien quality due to various "improvements" he had made to his lungs and voicebox. "Regardless of whether we send in drones or not, the first task must be to cut through the ice and stone sufficiently to create an entrance. If the prior resident blocked scrying, I imagine teleportation would be risky at best."

Valhawk posted:

Tyrannus the Fleshshaper

Born to a noble family of some repute, the man who would one day be known as Tyrannus had the grave misfortune of being born with a serious congenital defect. His body was weak and sickly, and he grew up constantly under the care of one healer or another as his family sunk their not insubstantial wealth into trying to fix their only heir. All of the poking and prodding accomplished a whole lot of nothing, beyond sparking the boy’s interest in the flesh. He carried the spark of magic as had his parents, and he took advantage of their libraries and resources to delve into the subject of magical alteration of life. For years all he did was study, ways to shape and alter the body and mind with magic, to create life. It was a subject that was at least nominally taboo, but the boy was both wealthy and secluded so he managed to avoid any stigma for most of his experiments.

However, as he became an adult his experiments continued to grow in scope and ambition. It was one thing when a stray dog had another set of legs, or a servant had a third eye, but eventually the man did something that was beyond taboo in the circles of the nobility he altered his own flesh. Sick of being weak, of being constrained by his prison of a body when he could remake it to his liking, the man began to alter his own flesh. It was small things at first, fixing his body’s defects, but with each success he grew bolder. His changes grew harder to disguise, more alien. He could heal his ailments, but why stop there, he could be stronger, smarter, better, why constrain oneself to being merely human.

All of this finally pushed his family to disown him, strip him of his name, his titles and privileges. Cut off from funds and mana, the man, taking on the name Tyrannus, decided to join with other young wizards and seek new power and opportunity among the stars. After all, there were so many worlds out there, so many new forms of flesh to study and adapt, and maybe eventually he might pick a world for his own to conquer and remake in his image. A universe of possibilities awaited, and the ship needed someone to tend to the wounds they would inevitably suffer on their journey.

Approaches
Energy: +1
Force: +1
Intelligence: +2
Matter: +3
Primal: +2
Void: +0

High Concept: Shaper of Flesh
Magic to create life, to shape it, to alter it to the will of the caster. This is Tyrannus’ specialty. The body if after all a form of matter, and many mages create and alter swords and rings and even continents, but rather than dead things, Tyrannus prefers to study and alter living things. Why make a special sword, when you make make super-human soldiers that grow their own weapons? Creating life of all shapes and sizes has a variety of uses, though it does tend to make one a bit megalomaniacal. On the upside for his colleagues, even if they don’t want to take advantage of his offers to upgrades to their pathetic human bodies, he can still fix them up as good new. As the ships defacto medic, Tyrannus gets to test his craft on new and exciting injuries on top of getting to explore different worlds full of interesting creatures to study and improve.

Trouble: Warped Mindset
Growing up as the secluded scion of a wealthy and noble line, and then developing the ability to create and reshape life has left Tyrannus somewhat warped. He is, to be blunt, not terribly concerned about the feelings or rights of his inferiors. He simply doesn’t understand why it matters if a servant might object to growing extra arms if it better helps them in their job. His fellow wizards are colleagues, and while he might be amused by their quaint attachment to humanity he will respect their boundaries, mundanes not so much. If their inferiors don’t understand their station, well that’s a fixable problem.

Aspect: Enhanced Body
Growing up with a defective body, constantly being poked and proded by healers looking to fix what was broken tends to give one a certain malleable viewpoint on the sacredness of one’s own form. While others might balk, Tyrannus didn’t even have to think twice before using his developing skills one himself. As far as he’s concerned the human body is highly overrated, so as a man who could alter flesh to his liking he might as well make something better. A second set of eyes to see beyond the visual spectrum, stronger muscles, tougher skin, hands that are both stronger and more capable of the fine manipulations necessary for his craft. Some still bound by their outdated prejudices might find his form horrifying, but he sees no need to cater to such constrained thinking.

Aspect: Living Library
Tyrannus grew up in the lap of luxury, powerful wizards for parents and nothing but time to explore their libraries. They served as the basis for his studies into the art of flesh, but his parent’s libraries contained all sorts of tomes and treatises on subjects ranging from common to obscure. Combined with his eventual enhancement of his memory, this means Tyrannus is chock full of an eclectic collection of facts and knowledge from subjects ranging from anatomy to ancient legends to the proper fork to use during the cheese course at a state dinner with the mage-pope. Of course, being drawn from a library rather a course of study at university his knowledge can often be incomplete or out of context, but still if you’re looking for an obscure fact on an equally obscure subject odds are that Tyrannus knows something on the subject.

Aspect: Psychological Adept
You don’t spend years studying and experimenting with creating and altering lifeforms without learning a bit about how they think. Tyrannus’ knowledge is less formalized and more experiential. This leaves him less equipped to explain or extrapolate from his knowledge than if he had a full theoretical basis for his knowledge. However, it serves him well enough for his day to day use in managing his creations, and his general low view of those he views as inferiors means he is willing and able to wield it ruthlessly against them.

Tower Aspect: Flesh Vats

Deep in the ship one can find the flesh-vats. Not only does it provide raw flesh for various experiments and projects, but it also serves as the ship's medical facility. Accidentally blow off your arms with your new fireball spell? A quick trip to the vats and you’ll have new ones grown in no time at all. The vats also serve as the ship’s recycling system, breaking down any and all organic waste and allowing it to be put to use.

Stunts:
Because I’m a Fleshshaper I get +2 when I alter living flesh to Create An Advantage with Mater.

Because I’m the tower’s de-facto healer, once per session I can remove either one moderate or two minor consequences

Because of my altered musculature, I get a +2 when I engage in a non-magically Overcome with Force.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Tyrannus - Scrying Room
Fate Points: 3/3 | Boosts: - | Consequences: - | Stress: [ ] [ ] [ ] | Mana: [ ] [ ] [ ]

Tyrannus looks disdainfully at the chronomancer, "A portal to where? Thanks to the blocking spell we dont know the internal layout. Unless you have a means to defeat the scrying block, a portal would be worse than useless. As long as we are jammed there is no remote method that will work reliably."

The huge man shrugs, "If your inferior frame leaves you afraid of the danger of a visit to such a tomb, you could remain behind. I'm also more than happy to make some improvements, but I've found all too many are afflicted with a lack of vision and cling to hopelessly inferior bodies."

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Tyrannus - Scrying Room

"Perhaps those of you who wish to poke and prod the field should do so rather than just blathering about it. I'm sure the rest of us have ways to amuse ourselves in the meantime."

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Tyrannus - Scrying Room

The inhuman mage turns one set of eyes to the woman, "My objection is not to visiting the tomb, I will do that gladly. It's this endless debating about how to get there. Blast our way in, or timidly poke at the enchantment, it makes no difference to me. Whatever it is let us stop quibbling and do it."

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Tyrannus - Scrying Room

Tyrannus lets out a deep and reverberating chuckle and then stands. "It is decided then. Let us go."

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Tyrannus - Scrying Room
Fate Points: 3/3 | Boosts: - | Consequences: - | Stress: 1[ ] 2[ ] 3[ ] | Mana: 1[ ] 2[X] 3[ ]

Tyrannus returned to his lab, thinking for a time on how best to prepare himself. After a few minutes it came to him, he had been experimenting with alterations to the eye to let it more easily perceive and observe details of the normally invisible weavings of spells. It was still experimental as he hadn't yet worked out a way to have the effect not diminished the eye's ability to perceive other non-visual spectrums, but if he cast it on only one of his several sets of eyes the overall loss of normal function would be minor.

After some time on some last minute refinements, Tyrannus casts the spell on one of his lower sets of eyes. Casting such an experimental spell took more energy than he had expected, but it was done, the iris of one of his lower sets of eyes now glowed with a slight golden sheen. He kept them closed as he went to meet with the others.

Primally altering one set of Tyrannus eyes to better see & understand spells (Difficulty 2): 4dF+2 1 Spending a Mana to bump that up to 3.

Tyrannus has gained the advantage: Magic-Sensitive Eyes and a free invoke on it.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Tyrannus - Scrying Room
Fate Points: 3/3 | Boosts: - | Consequences: - | Stress: 1[ ] 2[ ] 3[ ] | Mana: 1[ ] 2[X] 3[ ]

Tyrannus watches as the others trigger various traps. Clearly this had a mundane trigger of some sort. So, Tyrannus raised a hand to his face and worked a fairly common spell he had created to temporarily increase his detail vision and acuity.

Enhancing Tyrannus's Eyes (Material Create Advantage + stunt) (Diff. 2): 4dF+5 4

With the new enhancements, the alien looking man began to scour the room with his many eyes.

Searching for stuff (Void) (Diff. 3): 4dF -1

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Tyrannus - Hallway

Tyrannus walks over to one of the fallen bolts. Gingerly he picks up one of the bolts and places it over his hand. One of his fingers unfolds to reveal an array of sensory organs within. Tyrannus allows a drop of the poison to fall on them and begins to analyze the concotion, seeking to learn how it worked, both to create an antidote and to add it to the library of poisons he could generate.

Analyzing the poison (Matter) (Difficulty 2): 4dF+3 3

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Tyrannus - Hallway

The poison was ancient and less than useful, but you never know when something like that might be useful. So Tyrannus filed it away, then as he strode forward, with a small flourish of magic he altered his skin, growing armored plates to deflect future bolts or other physical attacks.

Materially Creating an Advantage (Armored Skin) (Difficulty 2): 4dF+5 5 - Success with Style

With the armor successfully formed, the flesh-wizard quickly caught up with the others, ready for further delving for power and knowledge. When he met up with the lead group he adds, "The poison in this place is an antique, I wonder if the other traps are equally outdated."

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Tyrannus - Hallway
Fate Points: 3/3 | Boosts: - | Consequences: - | Stress: 1[ ] 2[ ] 3[ ] | Mana: 1[X] 2[X] 3[ ]

Seeing the effects of the acid cloud up close, Tyrannus decided precautions were warranted. He closed his eyes, his magic working at the armor plating that currently composed his outer layer of skin, attempting to alter its composition to proof it against acid without compromising its effectiveness, the effect would likely cause a noticeable change in the coloring of the plates, but Tyrannus cared not for such things.

Materially Creating an Advantage (Acid-Proof) (Difficulty 4): 4dF+5 4 Spending my 1 mana box to bump it to 5

Confident in the change, Tyrannus attempts to levitate himself down the hallway, there might be something useful past this trap, and if nothing else he would be out of the way of other attempt to self destruct.

Forcefully Overcoming (Difficulty 1): 4dF+1 3

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Tyrannus - Just Outside the 1st Chamber
Created Aspects: Magically Attuned Eyes (1 free Invoke), Enhanced Eyesight (1 0 free Invokes), Armored Skin (1 free Invoke) Acid-Proof (1 free Invoke)
Fate Points: 2/3 | Boosts: - | Consequences: - | Stress: 1[ ] 2[ ] 3[ ] | Mana: 1[X] 2[X] 3[ ]

Tyrannus carefully examines the door, carefully and methodically checking it for more traps. He puts his enhanced vision and varied knowledge to use to avoid making the same mistake as some of his colleagues.

Voidly Checking for traps (Difficulty 2): 4dF+0 -1 Using my free invoke of Enhanced Eyesight and spending 1 Fate to Invoke Living Library to bump this to +3.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Created Aspects: Magically Attuned Eyes (1 free Invoke), Enhanced Eyesight (1 0 free Invokes), Armored Skin (1 free Invoke) Acid-Proof (1 free Invoke)
Fate Points: 2/3 | Boosts: - | Consequences: - | Stress: 1[ ] 2[ ] 3[ ] | Mana: 1[ ] 2[ ] 3[ ]

Tyrannus bathes in the star light, drawing precious mana from it, rejuvenating himself. When the Delver comes over and requests his assistance, Tyrannus responds, "It is good that you have seen the benefits of shedding human limitations. I would be happy to help you, but given that we are away from my labs, and I am unfamiliar with the makeup of your flesh, I think it best to limit it to a simpler change. When we return from this expedition, we can discuss a more radical course of modifications."

He begins the work, attempting to grow armor plates from his skin, hopefully beginning the other's liberation from the limitations of his merely human body.

Altering the Delver to give him some flesh-armor (Difficulty 2): 4dF+5 5 Success with Style

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Fate Points: 3/3 | Boosts: - | Consequences: - | Stress: 1[ ] 2[ ] 3[ ] | Mana: 1[ ] 2[ ] 3[ ]

Tyrannus looked over the various items. Nothing particularly interested him, perhaps others might wish to study the mace, but he did not.

"There should be enough here to gain some mana. I propose we split what's present between those of us which succeeded in defusing traps."

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Tyrannus - The 1st Chamber
Created Aspects: Magically Attuned Eyes (1 free Invoke), Enhanced Eyesight (0 free Invokes), Armored Skin (1 free Invoke) Acid-Proof (1 free Invoke)
Fate Points: 3/3 | Boosts: - | Consequences: - | Stress: 1[ ] 2[ ] 3[ ] | Mana: 1[ ] 2[ ] 3[ ]

"If there are no objections then I will take what is mine." Tyrannus draws the mana from his share of the miscellaneous magic items, leaving the mundane husks behind.

"Now, let us proceed to the next chamber."

Taking the 2 mana.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Tyrannus - The 3rd Chamber
Created Aspects: Magically Attuned Eyes (1 free Invoke), Enhanced Eyesight (0 free Invokes), Armored Skin (1 free Invoke) Acid-Proof (1 free Invoke)

This time it was the Marquis who had done a majority of the work, though in fairness there was only a single trap to overcome rather than several. So, Tyrannus spoke, "Those who contributed should receive an extra share of the available mana or items here. Though the staff is too great a prize to assign to a single one of us. Until we can discover the secret of its construction, I propose it be shared among all of us as needed."

He pauses and looks over the items, "There is much here of unknown usefulness. Let us send it back to the ship and we can divide it up once we are done with this place."

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Tyrannus shook his head in disagreement, "Your map shows a clear passage to the 4th chamber. Even if the results are lesser if there is no cost to make the trip than we'd be fools not to check it. We can go the 7th chamber afterwards."

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

"Then let us proceed."

Tyrannus makes his way to the secret passage, and headed to check the 4th chamber.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Now this was a truly fascinating find for the fleshshaper. Not dried and staid bits of steel or glass but life, even in such a desiccated form had uses for him.

Tyrannus moved smoothly skeleton to skeleton studying them and extracting samples. The tip of one of his fingers split, smaller appendages slither out cut off small pieces and pull them in. Then they would be magically digested and useful DNA extracted and stored for later use.

Materially Overcoming to extract usable DNA from the skeletons (Diff 2): 4dF+3 3

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Upon hearing the Delver's plan, Tyrannus moves to take up his own part. Sitting down, he begins to concentrate, magic suffuses the air and a small bud grows from Tyrannus' armored flesh. He pulls it off, and then places it on the ground before him. It begins to pulse and grow, and after a few short minutes it has developed rudimentary limbs and other organs. A few more and it is fully formed, it is not particularly strong, but it is fast and agile, it should be able to keep out of the half-golem's clutches long enough to lure it through the portal.

Creating an fleshling to lure the half-golem (Overcome w/ matter) (Difficulty 2): 4dF+3 4 invoking Scried Threats for +2 to make the end result 6 aka Success w/ Style. Gaining the boost: Agile Fleshling

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Fate Points: 3/3 | Boosts: - Agile Fleshling | Consequences: - | Stress: 1[ ] 2[ ] 3[ ] | Mana: 1[ ] 2[ ] 3[ ]

Tyrannus approached the door, carefully staying outside the triggering range. Then accepting the Omni-Wand from the Delver, he sets to work defanging the rest of the trap. It is simple work, he raises his free hand, and as a flush of magic flows through the staff, the otherwise difficult to spot sacs along his arm are suddenly bulging with a thick black adhesive. Their location know, it is child's play to cover the ports from which the needles would be launched with quick blasts of adhesive launched from his arm, the magical adhesive drying hard as steel. He even has enough left over for a later use, though its continued presence makes his form even more obviously strange than normal.

Plugging up the needle launchers (Matter Overcome + Omni-Wand) (Difficulty 2): 4dF+3+2 8 Success with Style gaining the boost Extra Adhesive.

Next comes the trap door, Tyrannus kneels before it, examining its edge, and with a flash of magic the door and frame are fused into a single piece unable to drop anything. As he stands, he can feel a little of the Omni-Wand's power linger, captured in his flesh, enough for a single use perhaps.

Fusing the trap door closed (Material Overcome + Omni-wand) (Difficulty 2): 4dF+3+2 6 Success with Style gaining the boost Shadow of the Omni-Wand

Regardless, the remaining traps were defused. Now it was time to collect their reward. So the fleshshaper opens the door to see what awaits them.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Tyrannus - The 7th Chamber
Fate Points: 3/3 | Boosts: - Agile Fleshling, Extra Adhesive, Shadow of the Omni-Wand | Consequences: - | Stress: 1[ ] 2[ ] 3[ ] | Mana: 1[ ] 2[ ] 3[ ]

Tyrannus needs to alter the mask slightly to fit his superior features. Then with a waive of the Omni-Wand which he takes back from the Driver, he clears the debris.

Clearing debris (Matter overcome) (Diff 2): 4dF+3+2 6 Success w/ Style. Adding a second charge to Shadow of the Omni-Wand.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Tyrannus - The 8th Chamber
Fate Points: 3/3 | Boosts: - Agile Fleshling, Extra Adhesive, Shadow of the Omni-Wand | Consequences: - | Stress: 1[ ] 2[ ] 3[ ] | Mana: 1[ ] 2[ ] 3[ ]

The chlorine bothered Tyrannus not at all, he had crafted his flesh into sterner stuff. He looked upon that rooms treasure with indifference. Dead things held little interest to him. Better to let another have it in exchange for items more to his liking.

When the rest were ready, he would proceed onward.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Tyrannus - The 8th Chamber
Fate Points: 3/3 | Boosts: - Agile Fleshling, Extra Adhesive, Shadow of the Omni-Wand (2) | Consequences: - | Stress: 1[ ] 2[ ] 3[ ] | Mana: 1[ ] 2[ ] 3[ ]

Taking the Omni-Wand back from the Delver, Tyrannus turns and places a hand on the fleshling's head. Channeling his power through the wand he enhances the fleshling's intelligence, so that if necessary it might serve as a receptacle for Orono's soul. After all who knew what the lich had gotten himself into, better safe than sorry.

Upgrading the fleshling's brain. (Intelligence Overcome) (Diff 2): 4dF+2+2 5 Success with style. Boost Mutatable Fleshling

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Tyrannus - Corridor to the 10th Chamber
Fate Points: 3/3 | Boosts: - Agile Fleshling, Extra Adhesive, Shadow of the Omni-Wand (2), Mutable Fleshling | Consequences: - | Stress: 1[ ] 2[ ] 3[ ] 4[ ] | Mana: 1[ ] 2[X] 3[ ]

"The beast is mine." Tyrannus announces to the rest of the group. He strides forward, taking the Omni-Wand back from the Delver, Tyrannus approaches the Mimic. He reaches out with a hand, aiming to touch the beast and in doing so break it to his will. As his free hand makes contact with the surface of the apparent, Tyrannus uneases his magic. Power arcs through the mimic, and all can feel a terrible psychic echo of Tyrannus' voice uttering the words "MINE!" His spell flows through the mimic, permanently binding it to his will, leaving it an eager and obedient thrall. It was but the first of many who would bow before the Fleshshaper.

Enthralling the Mimic (Intelligence Overcome) (Difficulty 4): 4dF+2+2 5 Spending my 2 mana box for +2, bringing the total to +7, Success with Style, gaining boost Obedient Mimic

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Fate Points: 3/3 | Boosts: - Agile Fleshling, Extra Adhesive, Shadow of the Omni-Wand (2), Mutable Fleshling, Obedient Mimic | Consequences: - | Stress: 1[ ] 2[ ] 3[ ] 4[ ] | Mana: 1[ ] 2[X] 3[X]

Tyrannus smiles as the mimic returns to it's blob-like natural form. He had many uses in mind for it, but all would be improved if the creature had more intelligence so it might better anticipate his needs. So, after taking the Omni-Wand back from the Delver, Tyrannus placed a hand on his mimic. Focusing his mind and drawing from his well of energy he set to work weaving the spells. The intelligence was easy enough. He had done similar things before. No what was more difficult was wedding that intelligence to the sort of absolute loyalty he required.

Layering the various spells, Tyrannus wove fanatical and unwavering devotion into every fibre of the creatures spirit. When he was done, it would have human-level intelligence and worship the ground he walked on, treating him like a god.

Once the spell had been cast, the Fleshshaper issued a mental order for the mimic to engulf him and form itself into a set of living armor. He would leave the aesthetics up to the creature, an interesting test of its conditioning.

Conditioning the Mimic (Intelligence Overcome) (Difficulty 5): 4dF+2+2 5 Spending my 3 mana box to raise it to 8 Success with Style gaining the boost Fanatical Mimic Armor.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Fate Points: 3/3 | Boosts: - Agile Fleshling, Extra Adhesive, Shadow of the Omni-Wand (2 1), Mutable Fleshling, Obedient Mimic, Fanatical Mimic Armor | Consequences: - | Stress: 1[ ] 2[ ] 3[ ] 4[ ] | Mana: 1[ ] 2[X] 3[X]

Resplendent in his new intelligent living armor, Tyrannus carefully examined the many experiments. It had been a shame that the tomb's occupant had been so poor in his experiments. Still, Tyrannus supposed he was being unfair. Not everyone possessed his own genius or vision in the art of fleshshaping.

Every specimen was related to this single experiment, and not terribly developed except for that one aspect. Still, there might be insight to be gleaned. So, once the Delver finished his scrying, Tyrannus turned the Omni-Wand to examining the various creatures, feeling some of its resonance that lingered in his flesh fade to sharpen his magical examinations of the creatures. He would learn whatever there is to learn, and maybe something about the man who made the besides. After all, it was said the best way to know an artist was through his work.

Examining the monsters for lessons on monster-making. (Difficulty 2): 4dF+0+2 2 Spending one of my Shadow of the Omni-Wand boosts for +2 to bring it to 4. Success

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Fate Points: 3/3 | Boosts: - Agile Fleshling, Extra Adhesive, Shadow of the Omni-Wand (2 1), Mutable Fleshling, Obedient Mimic, Fanatical Mimic Armor | Consequences: - | Stress: 1[ ] 2[ ] 3[ ] 4[ ] | Mana: 1[ ] 2[X] 3[X]

Hard vacuum, clearly space had many varied dangers. Still they also offered new opportunities for his craft. Taking the Omni-Wand back from the Delver, Tyrannus let his magical power flare, sinking into the mimic that now was serving as a living set of armor. It's morphic flesh would gain new resistance to vacuum and the ability to protect its masters from the ravages of the void, providing the air supply and radiation shielding needed for Tyrannus to survive outer space. The mimic's flesh insulated for a moment at the infusion of new power before adjusting it's form and eager to be of use to the fleshshaper it now worshipped.

Space-priofing the mimic armor (Matter Create Advantage) (Difficulty 4): 4dF+3+2+2 7 Success with Style gaining 2 free invokes on the advantage Space-Proof Mimic.

Looking at the others, he adds, "I suppose I should make provision for you as well." With a waive of the Omni-Wand, the passage was made safe for travel.

Making an air bubble (Energy Overcome) (Difficulty 2): 4dF+1+2 3 Success

Valhawk fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jun 21, 2017

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Once his focus was again on the rest of the world and not on the task at hand, Tyrannus noticed Jacob's plight. By this point the Delver was already moving to intervene, and so the fleshshaper stood back. Still, it was an interesting occurrence, a mage with a negative reaction to mana, the concept fainted Tyrannus. So once the Delver was finished, Tyrannus strode over to Jacob, his already alien voice further distorted by the living space suit he now wore, "Once we are done with this tomb, come to my chambers and we can discuss ways to... 'cure' your condition."

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Tyrannus - 12th Chamber

This chamber held little of interest to Tyrannus, the life support system appeared more primitive than their own, at least in terms of the theoretical principles in play, and the click clack of metal things rarely interested him.

Still, it would be wise to not devour it's power until they were finished with the tomb. So, he said as much, "As only two of our number are prepared to survive the ravages of space, we should probably refrain from taking any action that wo8ld lead to the deactivation of these machines until we are finished with the tomb conpletely."

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Tyrannus - 12th Chamber

Tyrannus looked at the crumbling passageway. With the Omni-Wand in his hands tasks such as reinforcing the passage to allow safe travel were child's play. With a wave of the wand, his power went rushing through the halls, strengthening them enough to allow safe passage.

Stabilizing the Passage (Matter Overcome) (Difficulty 3): 4dF+3+2 5 Success

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Tyrannus - 12th Chamber

"That seems a reasonable decision. One would expect the most complex and fiendish traps guarding the greatest treasure. So we should at the very least divy up the mana, even if there still remains debate about the other trinkets."

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Tyrannus
Fate Points: 3/3 | Boosts: - Agile Fleshling, Extra Adhesive, Shadow of the Omni-Wand (2 1), Mutable Fleshling, Obedient Mimic, Fanatical Mimic Armor |
Consequences: - | Stress: 1[ ] 2[ ] 3[ ] 4[ ] | Mana: 1[ ] 2[ ] 3[ ]

Once the group had assembled, Tyrannus spoke first, listing off the various treasures they had discovered on their journey. Then he added, "I have no preference on any of the items except for the Fledgling Dragon Skeleton and of course the Mimic," the surface of mimic, which Tyrannus is still wearing, roils for a moment at the idea of being separated from it's master. "The rest we can break down for mana and divide among us. Do any of the rest of you wish to lay claim to specific artifacts?"

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Tyrannus
Fate Points: 3/3 | Boosts: - Agile Fleshling, Extra Adhesive, Shadow of the Omni-Wand (2 1), Mutable Fleshling, Obedient Mimic, Fanatical Mimic Armor |

"I think it is safe to assume the tomes and notes will be made available to the group. Similar to how we will share the Omni-Wand."

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Tyrannus

"Very well, we'll have to wait on draining the battery until we are finished here, but we can handle the rest right now." Tyrannus had the Fledgling Dragon Skeleton moved to his laboratory, and prepared to begin the process of breaking down the rest of the items into raw mana to be distributed among the group.

So the final breakdown is:
Tyrannus:
Mimic
Fledgeling Dragon Skeleton
1/3rd of the Experimental Mana Beast
15 Mana
Promise of 3 Mana from the Battery

The Delver
The Mace of Disruption
22 Mana

The Marquis
The Thunder Wand
22 Mana

Orono
29 Mana

Jacob
32 Mana

Object now or forever hold your peace.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Tyrannus
Fate Points: 3/3 | Boosts: - Agile Fleshling, Extra Adhesive, Shadow of the Omni-Wand, Mutable Fleshling, Obedient Mimic, Fanatical Mimic Armor |
Consequences: - | Stress: 1[ ] 2[ ] 3[ ] 4[ ] | Mana: 1[ ] 2[ ] 3[ ] 4[ ] 5[ ] 6[ ]

With the traps on the door dispelled, Tyrannus carefully opens the door and prepares to advance. His movements are cautious, prepared for an attack or trap from any direction.

Opening the door, keeping an eye out for traps, etc.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Tyrannus
Fate Points: 3/3 | Boosts: - Agile Fleshling, Extra Adhesive, Shadow of the Omni-Wand, Mutable Fleshling, Obedient Mimic, Fanatical Mimic Armor |
Consequences: - | Stress: 1[ ] 2[ ] 3[ ] 4[ ] | Mana: 1[ ] 2[ ] 3[ ] 4[ ] 5[ ] 6[X]

Tyrannus looked up, enraptured by the possibilities this creature represented. To get his hands on a live dragon, and a wizard no less, it was beyond his wildest dreams. Already ideas started to bubble to the surface of his mind, but with a stern focus he suppressed them. No point in making such plans before he secured his subject.

When the dragon blustered, the fleshshaper took the Omni-Wand from the Delver, and then responded, "Your future master." Then he unleashed a torrent of magical power, drawing on the new reserves he had gained from gouging on raw mana from the other treasures of this place, as well as using the last of the Omni-Wand's resonance still captured in his flesh, Tyrannus made the Hammerer of Gods into his puppet, and then proceeded to walk him back to Tyrannus' lab where he could be safely rendered unconscious until the Fleshshaper had a chance to begin the conversion process in earnest.

Dominating Mantel (Intelligence Overcome) (Difficulty 10): 4dF+2+2 3 Spending my 6 Mana to boost that to 9, then my boost Shadow of the Omni-Wand to make it 11

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Tyrannus
Consequences: - | Stress: 1[ ] 2[ ] 3[ ] 4[ ] | Mana: 1[ ] 2[ ] 3[ ] 4[ ] 5[ ] 6[X]

Faced with the sarcophagus flush with ancient and powerful magic, Tyrannus demurs from tampering with the stone edifice. "With sufficient time, I should be able to examine the memories of the master of this place and perhaps learn crucial details about its contents. However, the question remains what to do in the meantime. The power of the anti-scrying spell implies this is intended to be hidden from a truly powerful adversary, so I am uncertain as to whether we want to linger for the time it would take to safely extract the relevant memories."

He turns to face the others, "What say you?"

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Tyrannus

Tyrannus tilts his head slightly, "I suppose it has remained hidden for centuries. With the proper precautions I would be willing to wait. I would only ask that our navigator prepare the interstellar jump in advance, so it can be deployed quickly, just in case."

"Naturally, I will do all I can to expedite the memory retrieval without damaging the subject."

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Tyrannus
Consequences: - | Stress: 1[ ] 2[ ] 3[ ] 4[ ] | Mana: 1[ ] 2[ ] 3[ ] 4[X] 5[ ] 6[X]

Having said his piece, Tyrannus made his way to his lab, preparing to work on the sedated dragon. Unlike some of his fellows, Tyrannus' lab had little in the way of traditional equipment. He had largely replaced it with custom shaped biological substitutes. Even now the dragon lay on a living table, tendrils from an organ above delivering the required nutrients and chemicals needed to keep the dragon alive, but unconscious. Now, he worked to grow another, one that would reach deep into Mantel's brain, to facilitate further interaction with the dragon's mind via other purpose built creatures. It was not easy, and Tyrannus was saved from a disastrous initial attempt only by his mana sensing eye noticing unexpected flows in the dragon's mana flow, but after carefully attaining the magic, Tyrannus was satisfied with the result. The new nerves had been seated deep with the dragon's brain, tiny fibers reaching into every corner. Tyrannus had no doubt this would ease his future work.

Plugging in the dragon's brain (Intellligence/Matter Create Advantage) (Difficulty 2): 4dF+2+2 1 Spending a free invoke on magically attuned eyes to reroll.

Reroll: 4dF+2+2 5 Success with Style. Mantel gains the aspect External Brain Interface with 2 free invokes.

With the flex of a muscle unknown to mere humans, Tyrannus opens a small flap of armored skin and disgorging a similar tendril. Then he guides it to a fleshy interface, plugging his mind directly into the Dragon's. He sends his mana coursing through the nerve tendrils directly into Mantel' s quiescent mind, attempting to retrieve the dragon's memories and assimilate the relevant information into his own.

Reading Mantel's memories (Intelligence Overcome) (Difficulty 5): 4dF+2 2 Spending my 4 mana box and one free invoked on External Brain Interface to raise the results to 8. Success with Style. Gaining the boost Draconic Knowledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Tyrannus
Created Aspects: Magically Attuned Eyes (0 free Invoke), Enhanced Eyesight (0 free Invokes), Armored Skin (1 free Invoke) Acid-Proof (1 free Invoke)
Fate Points: 3/3 | Boosts: - Agile Fleshling, Extra Adhesive, Mutable Fleshling, Obedient Mimic, Fanatical Mimic Armor, Draconic Knowledge |
Consequences: - | Stress: 1[ ] 2[ ] 3[ ] 4[ ] | Mana: 1[ ] 2[ ] 3[ ] 4[X] 5[ ] 6[X]

Tyrannus returned to the others and shared what he had learned, "Now that we know it to be a black-hole, similar to the one we'll need to power our interspatial jump, I have no objection to bringing it aboard and making use of the anti-scrying measures of the sarcophagus as another layer of defense for our ship."

• Locked thread