Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
It was pretty funny that they had Navarro announce a surprise judge but they obviously filmed the bit so far in advance they had to hedge their bet and have him say "But I can't tell you who it is, it'll be a surprise!", no doubt in case the surprise judge came down with covid or something in the meantime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I know Dave has been dealing with Long COVID, but his overall presence on the show is sorely missed

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It was pretty funny that they had Navarro announce a surprise judge but they obviously filmed the bit so far in advance they had to hedge their bet and have him say "But I can't tell you who it is, it'll be a surprise!", no doubt in case the surprise judge came down with covid or something in the meantime

That'd what I was figuring, that it was Nunez or James Vaughan, two people known for Japanese. Instead we got what's her name who didn't even have a Japanese tattoo lol.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Beer_Suitcase posted:

where do these canvases come from? Im all for a free tattoo on TV but if i show up and they say "Bugs on ya neck?!" i might leave.

Fun fact: at least one goon has been a canvas on the show

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Dang that was a great episode. No one did a genuinely bad tattoo which is a miracle for family member colour realism portrait week

It was also great to see how the guys leapt in to help Tony as much as possible, and even though he was eliminated he still walked out with his head held high

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Jesus Christ DJ's tattoo was loving incredible O_O

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
This is another amazing episode

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Omg worst cliffhanger ever

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yea that was just peak cliffhanger. Figured Dave showing up and going no so fast

And I liked they it all blind and ranking. Wish they always did it like that

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Real shame to see Anthony go, I was pulling for him.

Digital Jedi posted:

And I liked they it all blind and ranking. Wish they always did it like that

Same here, but it gives them much less opportunity for :siren: drama :siren: and arguments so the producers would never go for it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I can't deny I'm missing some aspects from the old show (especially the judges*/judging, some of the insane requests, things like setting up shop to do as many flash tattoo as possible in that one premier that gave us ACID CAT), but from a technical tattooing point of view it's definitely been the season everyone has clamored for over the years. I'm glad Jason finally had a challenge he could flex on and sad that Anthony got knocked out, but it made for a good surprise as drat who saw that. If they hadn't been knocked out in the first half of the episode, and Angel hadn't made it through (she deserved to, the cat ruled) man I think Tambe would be in trouble this round. The cliffhanger doesn't work much because I don't think he's in any real trouble.

Glad there isn't the usual lovely live final, and hope they pull something good out next week. The season feels a bit budget constrained to usual, but it's been fun and hope it's back again.

* dammit Peck you dumb loving idiot.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
That was better than the awkward live show but still felt off

they need to stop inviting dj on lol

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

They definitely had a different plan for the jury of peers between Dave shooting the video and then just the 2 people from the semi final walking out.

The end felt very contrived, but it was definitely better than the old live shows. The lower budget showed but the tattooing was solid throughout. Hopefully a s15 around the corner, hopefully a liiiiittle more of the craziness they used to do, and definitely want more Dave if he’s feeling better.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah no surprises there, could've seen that ending coming a mile off. I thought it was pretty funny that Gian's ultimate fate was left up to a jury of his peers after he worked so hard making everyone hate his guts all season. :v: :v: :v:

The parts where the producers asked them to sit in front of the cameras and pretend to talk naturally (the bit after the final 4 had been announced and the judges had walked out, the 'discussion' with Dave's pre-recorded bits, etc) were still awkward and weird but that's just part of Reality TV I guess

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Also did Dave say meow at any point during this finale?? I forgot to listen for it

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Nov 3, 2022

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Solid final. I think Bob's was my favorite but it was hard to read.

DJ was so good. And I disagree with the judges that it was uncomplete cause he didn't get that upper left area.

Gian's was bold and great but I feel like anyone could do that same tattoo and match it while DJ's was something so far ahead in style and execution it would be hard.

I'm on the fence if I prefer the artist having free range or the old season style of you do X, you do Y etc

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I really wish I could rock a mustache like Gian does. My mustache is just a wussy little caterpillar.

EDIT:

I thought .............Bob's............. tattoo was terrible and I didn't understand the praise for it at all.

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Nov 3, 2022

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The second he sketched it out I thought it's a rad idea, but there is no doubt this is going to have severe legibility issues. He obviously wanted to go outside the box with the creativity angle, but he probably had a better chance if he just stuck with what he had been doing all competition.

I now want a van, and on the side of the van I want the titty elf and wizard tattoo.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Am I crazy or do Chris Nunez and Orville Peck have incredibly similar voices? It can be hard to tell who's talking sometimes

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Everyone loves to do dragons overlapping with themselves and they are always illegible.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Finally caught up and drat that was a good season. I kinda miss the real cringe tattoos but I love me some good loving tattoos. Also DJs was by far the best one, I don’t know why it was so close.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

No judging shakeup sadly, but hey.

Last season was saved by having all good artists from the get go and being a bit more serious, but it definitely wasn’t as fun as previous years. Hoping for some fine tuning and the right blend of tattooing and reality show nonsense.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The first three episodes of season 15 have dropped. I just watched ep 1 and it was great fun, it felt like classic Ink Master again. Joel, Ashley and Nikko have returned as judges plus DJ Tambe (I guess it's pretty much the only way to prevent him from winning again, lol) and Ashley, Nikko and DJ will each be coaching teams of 4. It looks like DJ is having a real blast as a judge, he was a great choice.

Ep 1 is a "choose any style & subject, fight for your right to a shop" free-for-all with 15 artists vying for the 12 spots, and each artist's tattoo is given a score which also determines the order in which they get to choose their coach.

There were some stellar tattoos in this first episode, it's already pretty clear that certain artists are going to make deep runs into the competition

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

There’s still an even number of judges then? They really needed to fix that issue. Hopefully will get through the episodes over the next few days, always good to have it back.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

EL BROMANCE posted:

There’s still an even number of judges then? They really needed to fix that issue.

Tied decisions = drama, it's a feature not a bug (according to the reality TV rules) :v:

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Poor Ryan not having anyone pick her!

I think the Octopus one was my favorite. Some real good solid tattoos all around. Agree with who got eliminated

But the tie I disagree with. I kick Bryan out cause the women's lips look like a butt! It's really distracting

episode 3
Sydney, How do you not line that up?! HOW?! I would be so pissed if i got that.

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Nov 2, 2023

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Digital Jedi posted:

episode 3
Sydney, How do you not line that up?! HOW?! I would be so pissed if i got that.

I think the existing tattoo was offset, right? So they were deciding if they should line up new with old, or new with body.

Disappointed the water color chick is out, I love that style even if they don’t last... would have been cool to see her do more of that work.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Ah I just want back to when they were originally talking about it and yea, the original piece she had was off.
I usually skip all the tattooing and go right to the critique

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
LOL, way to gently caress up the skull picks, goddamn

Also why the gently caress would someone who only ever does B&W even attempt this competition, you know you're going to get hosed over and over

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I dug the tiger shark a bunch. It was the one thing that made some kind of sense idea wise rather than just two random animals smushed together.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Also why the gently caress would someone who only ever does B&W even attempt this competition, you know you're going to get hosed over and over

One part “I’ll apply for publicity” and one part the producers casting people who could never win for drama purposes.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

You have to be somewhat broke brained to go onto a reality show. Very few make you look good and not many people can afford to take a month or two off just to do a show. It works out for some of them but they probably have some talent and would be fine otherwise.

Giga Pet giveaway
Jun 28, 2008

You're Not Welcome?
I've been following Freddie for years and really adore his style, it's cool to see someone I'm already aware of on the show again, even if this competition is dumb as hell at its core. :)

His canvas from the animal mash ups was in his instagram comments a few days ago. He posted a 'no ink master rules/canvas issues' version of what he would've done (it's dope imo) and she's talking about how the edit was slightly unflattering to her (cut out her saying she loved his style, his talking head said she didn't like his style).
She sounds really genuinely hurt that he'd do a different version of that tattoo and kept saying 'I just wanted it to match the rest of my body which is exclusively american traditional, is that too much to ask?' which like, sure, that's a valid want ...for a tattoo you go get at a shop from someone who specializes in that style? Not on a reality show, maybe?

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Change up with the teams is what I figured they were going to do.

Glad they brought back the blind critique. Still think that's how it always should happen.The task of transformation tattoo's is a drat hard one. Freddie probably did the best one but I really like Bobby's slightly more

For the elimination
David's tiger looked bad to me, like it's just too wide/fat for the view it's at

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah that was a great episode. Great challenge, great judging format, lots of great tattoos, really low on the fake drama

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Did Dave ever say why he hasn’t returned as host?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The last word was that he was suffering from long term covid, but that was quite some time ago and he’s not even shown up on a remote this season which is a real shame. I wanna Live Mas.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

EL BROMANCE posted:

The last word was that he was suffering from long term covid, but that was quite some time ago and he’s not even shown up on a remote this season which is a real shame. I wanna Live Mas.

Jane's Addiction have been touring without him this year and even recorded a new album without him, but there hasn't been any news about his condition for months and months as far as I can see.

I'd be super surprised if he didn't do a pre-recorded video guest appearance sometime this season, though

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Really good 2 finals for tattoo of the day. I preferred Bryan's slightly more

For elimination I think I lean Freddie. That horse just looks weird. But I'm not broken that Charlene is going. They all had issues worthy of elimination

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Digital Jedi posted:

For elimination I think I lean Freddie. That horse just looks weird.

Agreed, he put its mouth in the wrong place which gave it a really weird frowny expression