Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bitchymcjones
Mar 23, 2006

Okay, your wiener, it's disgusting how it's all gnarled, it's like you stuck it in a hornet's nest!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There's a few nice ones where they try to be supportive and avoid drama but they're definitely a tiny minority.

I don’t feel like Ink Master or the judges are being mean. The purpose of any competition is to see who can do what and if you’re smart, you’ll take those failures and improve on them. Take Sparks for an example again. His anatomy on that last tattoo was completely hosed. I bet he went home and figured out how to draw arms that look like they actually have bones.

Or look at DJ’s partner from last season, Bubba. He got kicked off his season really early and he worked on every one of his weaknesses. He continued to study while he was on the show and I think that’s a big part of why they won. Bubba learned he couldn’t hope for DJ to carry him or for someone to be worse at the thing he’s bad at.

The only other reality competition I watch regularly is RuPaul’s Drag Race. The show turns a lot of the competitors into emotional wrecks. But you can see that RuPaul genuinely believes in the queens and wants them to be the best they can be. But challenges are meant to challenge contestants and push them outside of what they’re comfortable with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
It's not the judges that are being mean and stoking drama, it's the producers behind the scenes, sleep deprived filming schedules, etc.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
There's a ton of scenes in every episode of Ink Master of people sitting around in the loft coming up with schemes or arguing or screaming at each other (sometime even coming close to blows) which are really really obviously staged and serve no purpose except to stir up fake drama, or at the very least mostly fake drama. The producers pick a few contestants and arrange them on the set (usually sitting on the couches but sometimes pretending to play pool) and then go "Right, talk about ____" and start filming.

They also go to great pains to establish 'villains' in every season so the audience can revel in them getting taken down a peg. If a contestant gets flustered for a minute or two then they show that footage but not the 4 hours following where they got their head back in the game and flew straight, etc etc etc..

Well at least that's what Charlie Brooker told me :v:

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Just once I'd like to see:

Contestant 1: I'm not here to make friends, I'm here for the money.
Contest 2: I AM here to make friends. Based on the numerical odds I'm not likely to win. But I do plan to keep tattooing, and would eventually like to travel America and visit your studios, hang out, talk shop, go for a beer, without worrying about old tv-created rivalries and bad feelings.

Anyway, I like this season with the team coaches, and there are a lot of really good tattooers in the game.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Yea I like the coaches, makes for some fun times and strategy. I’d probably want to be on Steve’s team since he can actually teach.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

creationist believer posted:

It's not the judges that are being mean and stoking drama, it's the producers behind the scenes, sleep deprived filming schedules, etc.

This is spot on, btw.

Edit:

Binary Logic posted:

Just once I'd like to see:

Contestant 1: I'm not here to make friends, I'm here for the money.
Contest 2: I AM here to make friends. Based on the numerical odds I'm not likely to win. But I do plan to keep tattooing, and would eventually like to travel America and visit your studios, hang out, talk shop, go for a beer, without worrying about old tv-created rivalries and bad feelings.

Anyway, I like this season with the team coaches, and there are a lot of really good tattooers in the game.

I pretty much was Contestant 2

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They wouldn’t air it even if someone was that chill cause all they do is show the drama. It’s the worst part of the show. I’m not even sure what it accomplishes either since you mainly come for the sick (or terrible) tattoos.

bitchymcjones
Mar 23, 2006

Okay, your wiener, it's disgusting how it's all gnarled, it's like you stuck it in a hornet's nest!
I always watch the show on DVR because I end up fast forwarding through the drama. I just want to see tattoos and I want to see them get picked apart. It’s made me a better consumer and a better canvas.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Team DJ didn't ask any of the canvases where they wanted their tats. Surprised that didn't come up.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Well I guess we found out what it takes to get Anthony rattled. :v:

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Team DJ didn't ask any of the canvases where they wanted their tats. Surprised that didn't come up.

They no doubt asked but it didn't get shown in the final edit, the show usually only makes a big deal out of it when a canvas insists on getting inked in a difficult location. Occasionally they'll also highlight it when someones asks for an easy tattoo in an easy location and they get some good footage of the artists going "Oh poo poo I hope I get that canvas".

bitchymcjones
Mar 23, 2006

I don’t get why Katie didn’t get the canvas to move the tattoo to a place that wasn’t covered on razor burn. That was her biggest mistake.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It was bound to happen she’s been at the bottom most of the competition.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

That’s not razor burn. It was keratosis and yes it’s a bitch to tattoo over and does bleed like a motherfucker.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

We just started the new season last night and got a couple episodes in. Glad to see DJ back, I like him because he looks like my weed dealer.

Really enjoy letting episodes build up on my DVR and fast-forwarding through the house drama, you can really rip through a season that way.

Also my favorite part so far is the first ep when the contestants show up and there's the judges and it's like Nunez said "I want a hat too Dave let me have a hat"

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

DJ seems like a dick. He’s pretty good but not as good as he thinks he is. I’m pulling for Anthony, he’s not a good coach but he’s seems like an alright dude.

SaucyPants
May 7, 2007

All the cool kids are watching FIM. Why aren't you?
Just watched the latest episode, was it just me or was Deanna getting shoe horned in to shots at the beginning because she was wearing something low cut? Camera kept cutting to her when she wasn't even part of the conversation. It felt creepy.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Invalid Validation posted:

DJ seems like a dick. He’s pretty good but not as good as he thinks he is.

My recollection is that he seemed much more levelheaded than the rest of the contestants on his own season. Half of the scenes with the coaches have them acting like reasonable adults, and the rest seem pretty clearly produced.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I'm totally down with both DJ and Anthony. DJ seems cool and good, and as does Anthony but poo poo, abandoning the team and taking ink from a guy who pissed his canvas out of the room was a bold move. I'm glad the tat turned out well.

Steve seems to have a terminal case of small dick syndrome. I hope his ladies don't bank on penetration.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

SaucyPants posted:

Just watched the latest episode, was it just me or was Deanna getting shoe horned in to shots at the beginning because she was wearing something low cut? Camera kept cutting to her when she wasn't even part of the conversation. It felt creepy.

I'm surprised it took that many episodes, this show has been cleavage city since the very beginning. I've definitely seen times over the years when it looked like someone's boobs are almost a hindrance when tattooing.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I'm now convinced Danny is actually Bobby Bottleservice in a mask.

DJ kinda seems like he's about to start crying whenever he tries to throw back at somebody. it reminds me too much of my teen years and so I must reject him.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Man, that was a tough final choice. Both tatts were pretty strong but on the other hand they both had parts which would have annoyed the hell out of me if they were on my skin and I had to look at them for the rest of my life.

I think the underbite on Josh's tattoo was worse than the slightly wonky eye, that tiger would look like a bulldog when it closed its mouth.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
100% agree with no best tattoo of the day there. They were all poo poo.

Have they ever done that before?

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
Yeah, a few times. One of the early ones where they tattooed American flags and eagles in Traditional style on veterans had no winner, and I think a some of the Japanese and Pin up episodes also had no winner in other seasons.

bitchymcjones
Mar 23, 2006

It was long last time for Amanda to go. She’s been coasting by on Team Anthony the whole time.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.
Yeah. I do want Anthony to win so I was fine with her sticking around but that tattoo was pretty bad.

Also lol at Deanna calling herself the LAURA Croft of the competition.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I honestly didn't even know there was a new Laura Croft movie coming out.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Fru Fru posted:

Yeah. I do want Anthony to win so I was fine with her sticking around but that tattoo was pretty bad.

Also lol at Deanna calling herself the LAURA Croft of the competition.

She clearly embodies Laura Croft's "Live más" attitude.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I still think Daniel is actually Nick Kroll in a mask.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I kind of liked Daniel at first but he's reeeally grating on my nerves now

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.

I kind of liked Daniel at first but he's reeeally grating on my nerves now

I still like him because he's so pretty but he needs to just never talk.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Josh should probably win this season but he won’t because he’s being too much a dick and people won’t vote for him.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Fru Fru posted:

I still like him because he's so pretty but he needs to just never talk.

Oh, he knows he's pretty

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Mar 8, 2018

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Oh, he knows he's pretty

Bobby. Bottleservice.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
I had no idea so many people want technicolour hot air balloon tattoos.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Yea too bad nobody got one.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Yeah, it was pretty funny when the judges got to Team DJ and their remarks were essentially, "Well, these suck less, I suppose."

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Oh man, Steve totally threw Jeremy under the bus. Well he tried to throw him under a bus but it didn't take. :v:

But on the other hand I think Fame was totally robbed, what was up with that judges' decision??

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I don't remember who's but those paws were totally hosed up.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Digital Jedi posted:

I don't remember who's but those paws were totally hosed up.

Roli's and Jeremy's paws were both jacked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

21st Cherry boy
Jan 28, 2004
i'm a girl, fucktard
I dunno the paws on Jeremy's seem like something easy to fix, Fame's whole piece looked kinda goofy.