Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I'd be interested in seeing an Angels thread as well but I ain't going to make it. Anyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Mans posted:

I can't believe the elephant lost the first round since the "flowers on top of flowers with a flower in the middle" was absolutely attrocious.

The color scheme was mediocre but at least the elephant was on point.

And lmao if anyone has freedom to choose a challenger and they don't immediately gun for Gia.

Ehhh, I personally agree on the elephant. The rose wasn't the best but overall it worked. The elephant, on the other hand, was really good and then instead of doing something that would go with the tattoo like stipple-shading he did a bad color gradient. He lost because he shot himself in the foot. Which is a shame because I wanted to see what else he could do.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Not a bad choice. I'm curious to see who's going to be in the Miami episode. And apparently the one after that is in Seattle.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Next week is my episode. I'm interested in seeing how it plays out on TV.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Invalid Validation posted:

You got to compete? That’s pretty rad.

It was pretty wild!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P52ftCG-5Q4

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

You'll have to tune in to find out! We were all putting on game faces to be sure. Sometimes you gotta talk smack to get other competitors out of their game!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

right to bear karma posted:

Just saw the latest episode tonight. I loved the cat flower. :3:

Thanks! The guy who got it was a 40 year old carny (no, really) and the fact that it was on the back of the neck loving sucked to do. But I had a really good time doing it and he really enjoyed the tattoo. I had actually drawn up a design with a kaiju in a flower in case he really didn't like cats, but luckily he was all into them. He has a Russian Blue cat so I tried to make it more visually interesting than just doing a flat grey cat (so it would resemble his) and so I put some soft purples etc in the fur. That is what tripped me up really. I should have just gone a lot darker as I was originally thinking and it made me lose that challenge. Oh well.

Beer_Suitcase posted:

That episode did NOT go how I thought. Daniel seems to have a lot of potential and talent to build on but I was rooting for GATOS Y VATOS.

How much do the contestants know about the show prior to production?

Thank you! We barely know anything. We DO know that we are going to be put through 2, 4 and 6 hour tattoos and that the first one will be completely up to us on style and subject matter, but placement was a definite surprise. The 2nd tattoo was also completely unknown to what we were doing until the night before the challenge. We had no idea who the other challengers were to be until we met as they come through the door. I think Daniel is a really good match for being on Ink Master and look forward to seeing how he does.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Daniel was freakishly precise. :stare:

Aww and GATOS Y VATOS seems like a really sweet guy. :3: I was pulling for ya, man.

Yeah he is! That dude has a lot of talent and I expect to see really great things from him as he goes along in his career.

Thank you as well! It was overall a pretty hard thing to do. The first day of filming was at my father's shop and I was the only one who could make it in early enough to let the crew in so they could set up all the lights, sound equipment etc, so I was there at 6:30am to let them in. THEN I was on as a challenger, THEN I had to wait around while the crew broke down and left. I got out of there at around 11:30 at night and then had to draw for the 4 hour tattoo the next day. It was harrowing as I was super stressed with this crew of around 30 people in the shop as well as little sleep and doing the challenge as well. Also there is a lot of filming stuff where you are standing around for blocking shots, reactions, etc. The second day was hard to start because of that but it went well. The second client I had was really a neat kid and sat incredibly well for getting such a sore area tattooed. I made her 2 different color studies that she could choose from and I'm glad she wanted the red gem instead of the blue that I also presented her with.

I'm a little bummed that they didn't use some footage that they took at my home where I was painting a plastic kaiju (my hobby, check my instagram @kaiju_sommelier for that stuff) and petting my cats, but such is life. Also, at times it was difficult talking poo poo about each other because the other 2 guys were really nice and we all got along.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Did you ever apply to be on a season of Inkmaster?

No, the producers had called me around 3-4 times in the past about being a contestant but I really wasn't feeling it as timing was way off. You pretty much have to commit up to 2 months of your life to be completely put on hold and move to NYC to be in a place with 12 tattooists. I have told them if they ever start doing guest judges again I'm totally down for that.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Some good tattooin this episode. Wonder how you get invited to those swank tattoo parties, CALLING GATOS!

You mean the public who comes in? Word is put out on the street about it, participants call people they know, etc. It can sometimes be a little bit of a challenge to get a lot of people to come though because the crew doesn't want it known what the 'party' is for since the show keeps things under wraps as much as they can before things are announced about being on air. For example, my thing was filmed in July but I wasn't allowed to talk about it at all until late September or something.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I'm really glad that both people I tattooed were actually really nice. I wish I could have kept in touch, I'd like to see the tattoos I did healed.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

We are also really directed to push the envelope. For example: I'm not one do yell "Let's DO THIS!" for any reason whatsoever etc.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Lol

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Which is really disappointing since Sparks is a much better tattooist than that piece was. Ah well. Check his Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sparks_electrictattooing/

He's also a super nice guy. I've known him and his wife for years.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

It does really gently caress with you. I’m glad I did it but I’ll never compete on one of these again.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

creationist believer posted:

It's not the judges that are being mean and stoking drama, it's the producers behind the scenes, sleep deprived filming schedules, etc.

This is spot on, btw.

Edit:

Binary Logic posted:

Just once I'd like to see:

Contestant 1: I'm not here to make friends, I'm here for the money.
Contest 2: I AM here to make friends. Based on the numerical odds I'm not likely to win. But I do plan to keep tattooing, and would eventually like to travel America and visit your studios, hang out, talk shop, go for a beer, without worrying about old tv-created rivalries and bad feelings.

Anyway, I like this season with the team coaches, and there are a lot of really good tattooers in the game.

I pretty much was Contestant 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

That’s not razor burn. It was keratosis and yes it’s a bitch to tattoo over and does bleed like a motherfucker.